ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Combine Measurments

Nothing wrong with PJ's measurables...he's long and powerfully built. He just needs to learn some better basketball skills...passing, taking people off the dribble, and becoming a better outside shooter. Where better to do that than UK?

I'm surprised that SGA has ANY body fat...where is he hiding it? Diallo's measurables ensure he gets drafted no later than early second...he's a sick athlete. But...see PJ above...he needs to learn some better basketball skills

I was just looking at some of today's results, and here's a couple dark horses who it appears seriously helped themselves:

--Kevin Huerter. Dude smoked the shooting drills. Got the top score in the right corner shooting drill, the break right shooting drill, and the on the move shooting drill. Plus, shockingly, he had the fastest shuttle run time.

--Josh Okogie. I know nothing about this guy, but looks like he may be the most athletic guy in this draft: had the fastest three quarters sprint time, the highest vertical leap and the second fastest shuttle run time.

And, oh yeah, Divencenzio had a 42 inch max vert and 34 inch standing vert. That dude is SO gone.

Last edited:
That's pretty strong.

didnt watch, but saw the stats and some highlights. cant look at numbers. i saw one of his baskets, its was wide open point blank. scouts look at what translates at the next level. the big kid from kansas had like 16 points, all dunks, several with no one around. stat sheet looks great, but what did he show? not sure what PJ showed or didnt.

that said, it was a positive showing and going to make scouts take a deeper look. especially if he stuffs the stat sheet

Reactions: Nuke99m
I was just looking at some of today's results, and here's a couple dark horses who it appears seriously helped themselves:

--Kevin Huerter. Dude smoked the shooting drills. Got the top score in the right corner shooting drill, the break right shooting drill, and the on the move shooting drill. Plus, shockingly, he had the fastest shuttle run time.

--Josh Okogie. I know nothing about this guy, but looks like he may be the most athletic guy in this draft: had the fastest three quarters sprint time, the highest vertical leap and the second fastest shuttle run time.

And, oh yeah, Divencenzio had a 42 inch max vert and 34 inch standing vert. That dude is SO gone.

did well in the scrimmage too. guys joked if he was his agent, he would pull him tomorrow.

You're right from a controlled variable perspective and in an ideal world your way is best.

The problem is perception. As basketball fans we catalog height in our minds for every player we come across. That height is always in shoes. Any player height you know is how tall he is with shoes on.

So when we list them at the combine at their barefoot height, it creates a skewed perception of their height. For all practical basketball purposes, PJ is 6'8 because that's how tall he'll be when he's doing the thing that makes us care about his height.

If you list him at 6'6, that makes him seem too short because we automatically compare him to others at his position historically, but the comparison we use for them is their height with shoes.
kevin-hart-air-jordan-1-bred-platform-shoes-1.jpg

I'm not sure PJ helped himself that much though.I watched and his makes were all close to the basket.He rebounded great but I'm sure scouts knew he could do that and the question mark is his shooting.But he seems okay with being second round so my guess is that he leaves.

I'm not sure PJ helped himself that much though.I watched and his makes were all close to the basket.He rebounded great but I'm sure scouts knew he could do that and the question mark is his shooting.But he seems okay with being second round so my guess is that he leaves.

A good showing today is all the more reason for NBA people to tell PJ he's a consistent jump shot away from a certain first round pick next year.

K.H putting Maryland back on the map :)

Also tells a team to draft him, give him a guaranteed contract because a jumper can be developed While he’s in the organization then you have a first round talent who you developed and would be better in year two than he would in year one

A good showing today is all the more reason for NBA people to tell PJ he's a consistent jump shot away from a certain first round pick next year.

Many say that and many stay in the draft once nba teams talk to them about giving them a contract and drafting them in the second round. Some even stay when a team says they won’t draft them but sign them as a free agent

If PJ means what he said then I expect him back.I don't see any way he's a first rounder this season.

did well in the scrimmage too. guys joked if he was his agent, he would pull him tomorrow.

Has any player's stock ever gone up between March and May more than DiVincenzo's?

Honestly, I'm not sure why he's not considered a lottery pick. His athleticism, all around skills and BB IQ appear to be off the charts. Does he have any weaknesses?

Mo Bamba has the longest wingspan ever recorded at combine
I get what UK90 is saying about the “with shoes” measurement - it’s weird that some guys get an extra inch, others get an inch and a half. Still, as others have said, since no one ever plays barefoot, I want to know a kid’s height with shoes on. It’s simply more meaningful to me.

Now, having said all that, the comparison in the above chat makes no sense. They compare wingspan to height with shoes. What? If you’re trying to get an idea of how long a kid’s arms are, and naturally a good way to do that is to show how much longer his span is vs his standing height, that makes sense. But shoes have no place in the picture....

Has any player's stock ever gone up between March and May more than DiVincenzo's?

Honestly, I'm not sure why he's not considered a lottery pick. His athleticism, all around skills and BB IQ appear to be off the charts. Does he have any weaknesses?

He's just average size for a 2, and his athleticism isn't otherworldly, just really good. His handle needs work and he doesn't have a huge sample size of greatness.

What can we say about him that wasn't true of Grayson Allen four years ago? What kind of pro would he be? Athletic 2-guard who played incredible in the NCAA tournament. Allen had a better handle/passing ability and was probably a better athlete too.

I get what UK90 is saying about the “with shoes” measurement - it’s weird that some guys get an extra inch, others get an inch and a half. Still, as others have said, since no one ever plays barefoot, I want to know a kid’s height with shoes on. It’s simply more meaningful to me.

Now, having said all that, the comparison in the above chat makes no sense. They compare wingspan to height with shoes. What? If you’re trying to get an idea of how long a kid’s arms are, and naturally a good way to do that is to show how much longer his span is vs his standing height, that makes sense. But shoes have no place in the picture....
Height w/o shoes means diddly squat on basketball court. It totally makes sense since they are showing how long each player is and you don't play basketball without shoes so that's why

He's just average size for a 2, and his athleticism isn't otherworldly, just really good. His handle needs work and he doesn't have a huge sample size of greatness.

What can we say about him that wasn't true of Grayson Allen four years ago? What kind of pro would he be? Athletic 2-guard who played incredible in the NCAA tournament. Allen had a better handle/passing ability and was probably a better athlete too.

Good take. But to me that just shows that Allen should have jumped after that great performance. He did himself no good at all by returning.

DiVincenzo is 21. He's been on two championship teams. He's played with and against a lot of really good players in college too, is coachable, etc. No reason for him to return.

Height w/o shoes means diddly squat on basketball court. It totally makes sense since they are showing how long each player is and you don't play basketball without shoes so that's why
Sure it makes sense to show how long each player is - but the way to do that is to compare wingspan to height without shoes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT