ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Combine Measurments

PJ has long arms and a 40 inch vert 6'6" dosent matter.

There's another thing PJ has that is not accounted for in these measurements. PJ has a large, powerfully built frame. I saw him up close at an exhibition game and was impressed by his size.

Chronologically he's still a kid. When he's 25 and filling out and much more muscular, along with his reach and vertical, he will be a handful.

What it makes him is a 2 guard

NBA has gone small ball. Standing reach is more important than height and PJ has greater standing reach than Knox. His stats are not a surprise to anyone who's followed that this year.

He doesn't have to play 2 guard at the next level, but he does have to have some perimeter skills to stick around the next level for more than a couple years. ie ... Draymond Green and PJ Tucker with Warriors/Rockets.

NBA Teams are looking for role players who have the ability to switch every position on defense. This quality alone will cause someone to draft PJ next year.

My guess is PJ gathers good info from scouts (which is exactly what this pre-combine & combine time is intended to do) then returns for one more year. Hope he becomes the consistent alpha dog that leads us to #9 then gets a guaranteed contract next year.

Last edited:
Not necessarily in today's NBA.

Hell, just look at the two best teams in the league this year. The Rockets start PJ Tucker at power forward, and he's only around the 6'5" to 6'6" range. And the Warriors start Draymond Green at PF (AND frequently Center), despite the fact that Green only measured 6'5" and half without shoes at his combine.

If the starting power forwards for the two best teams in the league are both shorter (and with shorter wingspans) than PJ, then I suspect there's a spot for him somewhere.

PJ's ball handling, shooting ability or perimeter skills are no where near the level of Green or Tucker. To thrive in the NBA as a small PF you must be adept at every aspect of the game.

Can PJ get to that point? I most certainly think he can. The question becomes does he want to improve those essential skills at UK or in the G-League?

Last edited:
Reactions: UK90
PJ has long arms and a 40 inch vert 6'6" dosent matter.

Wrong.
When you aren't a dominant player (& PJ wasn't/isn't), and there are lots of guys not that different from you skillwise, then they (teams) have to nitpick. And just 1-2" will make a difference to them.

Reactions: fatguy87
You relize that Green didnt get off the bench as a FR and really didnt do crap till his SR year.

Exaggerate much?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/draymond-green-1.html

Green's freshman year he was a rotation player getting 11.4 mpg for a great MSU team that reached the National Championship game--that's quite different than "didn't get off the bench." And each other year he was a very productive starter and his final year a First Team All American and finalist in the National Player of the Year voting (behind only AD).

If your point is that Draymond at the same age was not ahead of PJ, I'd say that's a fair point. But you can make it without fudging the facts.

Last edited:
PJ's ball handling, shooting ability or perimeter skills are no where near the level of Green or Tucker. To thrive in the NBA as a small PF you must be adept at every aspect of the game.

Can PJ get to that point? I most certainly think he can. The question becomes does he want to improve those essential skills at UK or in the G-League?

Green & Tucker were not perimeter players in college. They bullied people in the paint.

Their offensive games expanded AFTER getting to the league, not before.

Most everyone agrees with you that the more a similar player's game expands in college the higher he'll get drafted. Green was late 1st round pick and Tucker was a 2nd round pick!

How much PJ's game develops will determine where he'll get drafted. Barring injury and major sophomore slump, PJ will be a 1st round pick next year if he decides to return. His versatility and ability to guard multiple positions will earn him a late 20's pick. If he improves his offensive versatility he'll move to front half of the draft.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Green & Tucker were not perimeter players in college. They bullied people in the paint.

I don't really remember Tucker in college, but I disagree with you regarding Green. By his senior year, Draymond had an extremely well developed all around game.

Last edited:
Green was late 1st round pick and Tucker was a 2nd round pick!

Actually they were BOTH second round picks. Draymond Green was not taken until the 35th pick in the second round.

It's also worth noting that PJ Tucker originally did not make it in the league. He bombed out his first year. Then went off to Europe for five years. Then came back reinvented as this small ball 6'5" power forward type thing, and has been thriving ever since.

Last edited:
Pretty sure Jevon Carter's measurements were entered in wrong.

No way he is 251 pounds. WVU's roster had him listed at 205 pounds. His standing reach is also not 9'1
5'11 200lbs here. Anything is possible

Mitchell was one that measured short but had the ridiculous wingspan.

Wingspan is everything. It represents your height.

Udoka Azubuike is a brute. 9’5” standing reach, 273 pounds, and only 7.5% body fat. Good grief. No wonder our guys got manhandled in the Champions Classic.

And still only 18!

I'd be shocked if he doesn't move up

Most everyone agrees with you that the more a similar player's game expands in college the higher he'll get drafted. Green was late 1st round pick and Tucker was a 2nd round pick!

How much PJ's game develops will determine where he'll get drafted. Barring injury and major sophomore slump, PJ will be a 1st round pick next year if he decides to return. His versatility and ability to guard multiple positions will earn him a late 20's pick. If he improves his offensive versatility he'll move to front half of the draft.

Green hit 37 and 39% from 3 in college his last 2 years on 3 and 3 and a half shots a game. Also averaged almost 4 assists a game those two years.

As someone else pointed out he did a little bit of everything for Michigan state his junior and senior year. He actually came into college known as a guy that could do a little bit of everything.

That's what I had HOPED for from pj. Either that or a montrezl Harrell type. But it doesn't look like he's going to stick around long enough for us to see it.

Reactions: bballcat4
People need to stop using height w/o shoes like it actually means anything

I think the "w/o shoes" measurement means more, because it's the only one that reliably shows how these guys height honestly compare against one another. The "with shoes" measurements have too much variance--for some the shoes only add about three-fourths an inch, for others 1 inch, for others 1.5, for some 1.75 inches, etc.

I've never quite gotten how one player's shoes can add so much more height than another's, but I know it's not because he magically grew more than the other player when he put them on.

Plus the idea is to show the actual height of the player's body, and shoes are not part of the human body.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chase4UK
I think the "w/o shoes" measurement means more, because it's the only one that reliably shows how these guys height honestly compare against one another. The "with shoes" measurements have too much variance--for some players the shoes only seem to add about three-fourths of an inch, for others 1 inch, for others 1.5 inch, sometimes even a whopping 1.75 inches....

Personally, I've never quite gotten how one player's shoes can add so much more height than another's, but I know it's not because he magically grew more than the other player when he put them on.

Plus the idea is to show the actual height of the person's body, and shoes are not part of the human body.

You're right from a controlled variable perspective and in an ideal world your way is best.

The problem is perception. As basketball fans we catalog height in our minds for every player we come across. That height is always in shoes. Any player height you know is how tall he is with shoes on.

So when we list them at the combine at their barefoot height, it creates a skewed perception of their height. For all practical basketball purposes, PJ is 6'8 because that's how tall he'll be when he's doing the thing that makes us care about his height.

If you list him at 6'6, that makes him seem too short because we automatically compare him to others at his position historically, but the comparison we use for them is their height with shoes.

Reactions: Catzman and UK90
Green hit 37 and 39% from 3 in college his last 2 years on 3 and 3 and a half shots a game. Also averaged almost 4 assists a game those two years.

As someone else pointed out he did a little bit of everything for Michigan state his junior and senior year. He actually came into college known as a guy that could do a little bit of everything.

That's what I had HOPED for from pj. Either that or a montrezl Harrell type. But it doesn't look like he's going to stick around long enough for us to see it.

I think the days of a DGreen sticking around a college program for 4 years are gone. The crazy thing is he still only went 2nd round.

Izzo gave him the 'Green-Light' (pun intended) to shoot some from 3. PJ seemed to have the same freedom last year as a freshman. I think Cal would give same freedom next year (and more if he improved his %.)

My point was that Green's game has improved steadily over his career and comparing PJ of today to DG's game isn't what NBA scouts are looking at.

Reactions: Montana81
I never believed he had a 43 inch vert, with that vert it’s obvious in a game. That would be 2inches from Vince coming out of UNC and he was 6’7.

On another note PJ is looking good in the scrimmage. Has to work in the jumper but that could come

Big discrepancy between the two. I don't think UK inflates those #'s. Scouts are standing there watching. I haven't heard anything about injury, but that's big drop.

Reactions: Catzman
"• Kevin Knox reinforced the value of Kentucky's annual preseason pro day by posting nearly identical measurements to those recorded at that event last fall. Standing 6-9 in shoes with a 213-pound frame and 6-11¾ wingspan, Knox has similar dimensions to rookie sensation Jayson Tatum and a young Paul George."

ADVERTISEMENT