ADVERTISEMENT

NBA:Cavs trade

Reggie Jackson is staying with OKC. Conflicting reports on that.

This deal won't dramatically change the Cavs, but its still an upgrade. Waiters and JR are almost identical in playing style, except JR is the better 3 point shooter. Shump is a defensive upgrade. The NYK also released Samuel Dalembert, the Cavs will likely pursue him.

OKC sent a protected first rounder to the NYK. Waiters gives them depth, but i hate his style of play. He just plays losing basketball, consistently making the dumb play.

I'm sure the Western Conference champ is shaking in their boots at the thoughts of JR Smith jacking up bad shots for the Cavs in the NBA FInals.
laugh.r191677.gif

Somehow....the Knicks seem to be the only winner in this trade...

Towns to the Knicks is very possible now.

Lebron is going to leave that dump.

Jr freakin' Smith. That's hilarious.

They need to get a PG that can play D and some athletes down low.

They'll probably hire Mike Brown again.

Originally posted by Mashburned:

Shumpert is the big part of this deal for the Cavs as he is a great perimeter defender when healthy. JR Smith will probably see minutes but the Knicks were desperate to dump him and his salary.

The Knicks have tried desperately to rid themselves of JR Smith. I guess they finally got their wish. Talented guy but does not adhere to coaching very well. I am very surprised most general managers have not placed he Joe Forte and Rashad McCants label on him.

Originally posted by Mashburned:

And that would not surprise those of us who have long known what Lebron is.

If you really think LeBron will leave Cleveland after all that he has said you are an idiot. Sorry that's the only way I can put it. 0% chance that happens it won't even be considered.

Originally posted by jslash1:
If you really think LeBron will leave Cleveland after all that he has said you are an idiot. Sorry that's the only way I can put it. 0% chance that happens it won't even be considered.
I agree. I doubt he leaves. Now K Love, he gone, unless something drastic happens. I do not think he likes playing with Irving and Lebron. I look for him to go west back to his old LA home next season.

Cleveland needs to let Love walk in the summer and try adding a few unrestricted free agents like DeAndre Jordan, Wesley Matthews, Danny Green, and C.J. Watson.

They don't need a superstar acquisition, but they could use a few third tier players of the Wesley Matthews caliber.

Originally posted by JasonSpear:
I don't see how getting Iman Shumpert and JR Smith helps Cleveland. Adding two more shot jackers to a roster that really doesn't have an identity as a whole seems counter productive.
JR Smith is crazy. I'll give you that. He won 6th Man of the Year 2 years ago, but he's crazy.

The thing about Shumpert is that he's a really good perimeter defensive player. I haven't seen a guy do a better job guarding Dwyane Wade than Shumpert seems to do every time he matches up with him. It's like his Kryptonite. But then there's that unfortunate thing where Shumpert thinks he's really good on offense. He is not. I don't know who can remove this thought from his game.

The Knicks, though. Making some long term moves. Just need to rig one more draft lottery.

JR Smith might be the biggest asshat of the NBA. And no matter how skillful he might be, he's equally a cancer. The epitome of bad basketball.

Unfortunately the Knicks are STILL down draft picks for Dolan's past screw-ups. Rockets get their 2nd rd pick. I think all they have now are two picks for the upcoming draft.

That said, without their best defender, no jump shooting, no interior presence, they will probably go into the lottery as the #1 pick and there is NO WAY Silver lets them lose that.

Jahlil Okafor to the Knicks.

Originally posted by LineSkiCat:
JR Smith might be the biggest asshat of the NBA. And no matter how skillful he might be, he's equally a cancer. The epitome of bad basketball.

Unfortunately the Knicks are STILL down draft picks for Dolan's past screw-ups. Rockets get their 2nd rd pick. I think all they have now are two picks for the upcoming draft.

That said, without their best defender, no jump shooting, no interior presence, they will probably go into the lottery as the #1 pick and there is NO WAY Silver lets them lose that.

Brett Dawson, who is a bigger Knicks fan than me, introduced me to the definitive proof that the NBA is not rigged:

If the NBA were rigged, they wouldn't let the Knicks be this bad for this long.

Back to the Cleveland trade...I actually like JR Smith more than Dion Waiters. It's why when the trade was first announced, I was scared to death that it was just going to be a straight up trade, Waiters to New York for Smith and Shumpert. That's a move I'd expect the Knicks to make.

That's probably the worst thing a basketball fan can say about Dion Waiters...that I'd rather have JR Smith. So good on Cleveland for actually moving that bad egg. Now is it going to end up being worth it? I don't know, but they need shot-making role players. JR Smith can give you that every 5th game or so.

Originally posted by Blind Karl Hess:

Brett Dawson, who is a bigger Knicks fan than me, introduced me to the definitive proof that the NBA is not rigged:

If the NBA were rigged, they wouldn't let the Knicks be this bad for this long.
You underestimate just how bad of an owner James Dolan is hahaha. I think for as much as the NBA *could* help the Knicks, he can equally destroy them.

I don't know what to think about the Lottery, rigged or not. I just don't know why they need to make it a damn magic show. Why do the lottery behind closed doors. If it truly isn't rigged, just do it out in the open and disprove the doubters.

You underestimate just how bad of an owner James Dolan is hahaha. I think for as much as the NBA *could* help the Knicks, he can equally destroy them.
I know full well how bad James Dolan is. I just think the league itself is more powerful and could interject itself for the better into New York's situation if it wanted to or if the league were rigged.

Maybe it has been a power struggle for years. As Stern has tried to help his fellow New Yorkers any way he can, he routinely gets undermined by Dolan, Zeke and D'Antoni!

Should be a cartoon. Each episode has an overly Jewish looking David Stern trying whatever he can to build the Knicks up.. but he is always foiled by the three bumbling idiots.

Lame acquisitions like this, or even trading for guys they have no business trading for (JR Smith) is the exact reason why LeBron left Cleveland the first time around

JR Smith won't be in Cleveland long. He will be moved soon for a big man - atleast that is my feeling. Time will tell.

Even Miami didn't hit on all cylinders the first year with the Big 3, and the Cavs had less to build on and a much shaker front office (no Pat Riley).

If Love isn't bought in, and i don't know if he is or isn't, they have to replace rebounding and upgrade interior defense. Scoring is easily found in the league, big that "do work", make FTs, and defend the paint are a premium.

Can their front office pull one in is the question.

Originally posted by Blind Karl Hess:
I know full well how bad James Dolan is. I just think the league itself is more powerful and could interject itself for the better into New York's situation if it wanted to or if the league were rigged.
After this was announced, I couldn't believe the Knicks still pulled this trade off without losing their first round pick for next year...the Knicks of late would have traded the first rounder for a bag of hammers with "major upside".

However, in talking with a few others today, I am told there are rules in place where a team cannot trade a first rounder if they did not have one the previous year and don't have one the following year. So in essence, the NBA is helping the Knicks.

Still a total shit show and worst of all, tickets are still expensive.

Great deal for the Cavs and Knicks (save bookoo money in luxury tax). Okay for the Thunder. They didn't really give up much; a top 18 protected first rounder will likely (barring the odd Tony Parker/Rondo type steal) yield a fringe rotation piece. However, 1sts are overvalued atm and it was a valuable trade chip. And Waiters is not good. Maybe he can reinvent himself as a lead ball handler on the second unit, which has real value, but so far not so good. Probably good gamble on his talent. It's not like Mike Brown and Brian Shaw were terrific coaches for him.

Thought maybe the Cavs would shop Waiters for a Koufous or the like, but they were also thin on the wing. Now if Dalembert slips through waivers and the Cavs can get him, too... that's a home run for Cleveland.

The knicks win in an addition by subtraction by getting rid of smith. The loser is OKC. Adding Waiters to that team is a head scratcher for a usually smart franchise.

ADVERTISEMENT