ADVERTISEMENT

Navy guys... answer me this?

robo222

Senior
Nov 21, 2008
Question- How the hell does a Naval Destroyer run into another ship?
Answer- Technology is only as good as those using (or not using) it.
Amirght?

Technology on does so much.

We don't know who ran into who yet. Man of war ships generally don't cede their course in a situation like that, they alert the merchant of their course and they change.
There could've been a misunderstanding between the 2 ships, dense fog could've played a part.

Reactions: GhostVol
Technology on does so much.

We don't know who ran into who yet. Man of war ships generally don't cede their course in a situation like that, they alert the merchant of their course and they change.
There could've been a misunderstanding between the 2 ships, dense fog could've played a part.
This. The merchant yields the right of way. Probably was a miscommunication. My thoughts are with the sailors still unaccounted for. Their families are going thru hell on Earth.

Almost 30 years ago my ship, the aircraft carrier USS Eisenhower plowed into an anchored merchant ship within eyesight of the pier coming home from a flawless 6 month cruise. Tore up all kinds of stuff on the IKE.

Captain was gone less than a month later, this one will be as well. Really no excuse.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-navy-asia-idUSKBN199020

(Reuters) - The bodies of a number of sailors who were missing after the U.S. Navy destroyer USS Fitzgerald collided with a container ship were found in flooded compartments of the damaged ship, the U.S. Seventh Fleet said in a statement on Sunday.

Japanese media said all seven of the sailors who had been reported missing were found dead.

:cry:

It was 2:30 in the morning, most likely multiple people weren't doing their jobs. The pictures show the cargo ship hit the Navy vessel.
The cargo ship was much, much bigger than the Navy ship. No excuse for this to happen.

Almost 30 years ago my ship, the aircraft carrier USS Eisenhower plowed into an anchored merchant ship within eyesight of the pier coming home from a flawless 6 month cruise. Tore up all kinds of stuff on the IKE.

Captain was gone less than a month later, this one will be as well. Really no excuse.

I was on The IKE from 1992-1994, never heard this story...I Imagine the Navigator was gone as well.

It doesn't matter much who hit who in this case. The accident should never have occurred and that's what the Navy will work off. Short of an intentional act by the freighter heads will roll. Warships often move for others and should have in this case. The larger container ship is much more restricted in its ability to maneuver than the DDG.

At that time of morning you have only the watch team awake and on the job. Once things looked squirrelly the CO and others should have been given a call and update. At that point you need sure and proper action and comms with the container ship. Some container ships are hard to contact as they operate on auto-pilot and have few people manning the ship in the control room/bridge.

My guess is that comms went wrong either in how the message was conveyed or the speed with which is was effected.

ADVERTISEMENT