All-American
Dec 7, 2007
I'm guessing it will be

Lee
Briscoe
Hawkins
Murray
Ulis

With some zone. Humphries as the 6th man.

Could be interesting from a rebounding perspective. Hopefully some guys like Matthews step it up in the absence of Willis.

I would think Matthews honestly. 1 month ago I would of said Skal but he is borderline worthless.

Charles could use a big game for his confidence going forward.

I think UK can sustain Willis being out for a few weeks if they get AP back in time for Vandy. Tuesday is winnable, even without AP and Derek, but I don't think UK can win on the road at Vandy or at Florida without some interior depth. Poythress would be a huge addition to the interior rotation.

As for Skal, he took a massive step back against Texas A&M. Hopefully he gives UK some help off the bench on Tuesday night.

Crazy that we are in this position. Tuesday is no cupcake game without Derek or Alex, but thank goodness we are at home.

As to your question, I have no idea. It could go one of 3 or 4 ways (which I realize is why you posed the question!) It's crazy to think that Skal was the #2 ranked player coming in, and when you ask who the starting 5 will be, neither you, nor NCukcats, nor me think he'll be in the starting lineup. Just don't think Cal can reward him for his play by starting him.

Maybe:

Humphries
Lee
Briscoe
Murray
Ulis

or the lineup you suggested.

Reactions: Pluto is a Planet
I'm inclined to think:
Lee
Matthews
Briscoe
Murray
Ulis

Hawk needs to come off the bench; also betting that Humphries will get extended minutes even without getting the start

Alabama in their last game a loss to Miss.St. 6 out of the top 8 guys in minutes played were bigger than 6-6.

So the starters to me would be:
Lee
Briscoe
Humphries
Murray
Ulis
  • Rebounding will be huge. UK is a better rebounding team than Alabama overall but Alabama had a +6 at LSU in a 7pt. win, UK had a -13 at LSU in a 18pt. loss with Poythress and Willis both playing significant minutes
  • Alabama shoots more 3pter's than attempts FT with 12% more of their FGA being outside the 3pt. line than UK tries
UK could run a modest full court pressure then falling back into a zone to reduce the amount of time Alabama's offense has in half court and hopefully protect the front court some from foul trouble, especially with the current lack of depth.

Would like to see mulder get more PT I against bama. He brings more to the table than does Matthews. He grabbed 8 boards in 14 minutes at LSU in his only game this year he has seen meaningful PT. You simply cannot play Matthews and briscoe at the same time, yet I have been seeing it of late for some reason.

Hump-C
Lee-F
Briscoe-G
Murray-G
Ulis-G

Mulder, Hawkins, and skal would be the three off my bench. Don't see anyway to avoid playing extremely small at times though with only one big out there. As bad as our foul trouble gets may find ourselves with no big out there for brief periods. Will be interesting for sure.

I'm guessing it will be

Lee
Briscoe
Hawkins
Murray
Ulis

With some zone. Humphries as the 6th man.

Could be interesting from a rebounding perspective. Hopefully some guys like Matthews step it up in the absence of Willis.

Switch Hawkins for Humphries and you have it. How in the world can he be kept out of the starting lineup, given the situation and his good play ????

Lee
Matthews
Briscoe
Murray
Ulis

I think most everyone is in agreement with these starting. Mulder, Hawkins, and Skal will be coming off the bench. All we need is to beat Bama !

I think you go with that smaller lineup with Matthews in for Willis and see what you can do.

I don't think you start Humphries for Willis, because you want to save minutes and fouls.

The way Humphries is playing, he is our best option as a backup for Lee. Don't want both of those guys saddled with early fouls if you can help it.

If we're getting killed on the boards, then you shift to a Humphries/Lee tandem, if they are both still available.

I just wish Matthews could knock down a jumper. We are going to miss the floor spacing.

I think Skal starts so Humphries doesn't get quick fouls at the beginning of the game. Humphries needs the game to slow down a bit from the opening 5 minutes so he isn't reaching in on players.

Ulis
Brisoce
Murray
Lee
Humphries

Skal and Matthews get extended minutes off the bench to hopefully help with foul trouble (because you know they will get called for a lot)

I think Cal HAS to start Humphries for confidence issues after the T.

I think Humphries earned it. In spite of the late technical, he had a huge game.

Put him out there, reward the effort/good play. Build his confidence.

Hawkins is nice, but we don't need FOUR guards out there.

I think Cal will go with Skal. He'll keep Humphries in his current role.

Ullis
Murray
Briscoe
Lee
Skal
I think you are right,we get what we can from Skal and save Humphries as long as we can so we have him at the end of the game

I just dont understand the love for Matthews.

He cant shoot....he is a turnover waiting to happen.

He dosnt play great D or hit the boards all that hard either.

I wouldn't mind if he didnt see the floor expect only in mop up duty.

My Five;

Ulis
Murray
Briscoe
Lee
Humphries

When Poy is ready:

Ulis
Murray
Briscoe
Lee
Poy

any team without Willis in the lineup is gonna have a tough time scoring unless Ulis and Murray are knocking down their shots.

Murray gonna have it a lot tougher without Willis on the court to spread things out.

The reason I think Hump starts is:

1. He's earned it over Skal
2. It would be a big vote of confidence from Cal, the master psychologist
3. Cal knows Hump will get a major ovation from BBN and deservedly so

Reactions: Cats192
Yeah, Humphries had double digit rebounds in a game where we were being killed on the offensive glass.
Humphries made HUGE plays late. Take away the $hit technical, and he had the game winning play.

I think Skal is for breathers/foul trouble only. Maybe we get in a spot where the offense is awful and Cal throws him in to shoot. But, he certainly aint starting.

Reactions: CatPhight
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT