ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts on the new Louisville FB coach from Big10 perspective.

Nov 1, 2015
Since you guys have some interest here, I'll try to give you a little info on Brohm. I'm sure rucker4 has thoughts as well.

He definitely is a good offensive mind. Loves to throw it (to a fault IMO). He made a bad blunder in the first game of the year vs PSU. Purdue was ahead and got the ball in the 4th quarter and all he had to do was run the ball more in a a few late series (eat the clock and they would have put PSU behind the 8 ball with little time to come back), but inexplicably he chose to pass on every down which stopped the clock. PSU beat them in the end. Purdue was the better team that day IMO.

He has been the one coach in our league which has figure out Phil Parker to a certain extent. He came up with really good game plans to exploit 1 or 2 players on our defense. He was 4-2 vs Iowa.

This year, Iowa had a chip on their shoulder and completely shut them down 24-3 (Charlie Jones left Iowa for Purdue and Iowa didn't take that too well (timing was bad when he left)).

Anyway, I think he is a good coach, can be too aggressive at times and needs to find a good DC to balance the scales (he is really an offensive centric coach).

Yeah I believe he will have the capacity to beat UK whereas Satterfield just could not. We will still win our share and have the SEC advantage over them in the trenches but those games will be more competitive just because I think Brohm has it in his 'make up' to do it. I mean, he's lost games he shouldn't at Purdue but his teams also won some big ones.

Reactions: Littlefeller
Yeah I believe he will have the capacity to beat UK whereas Satterfield just could not.
Any team has the capacity to win any game on the schedule. Appalachian State beat MI and TX A&M. Vandy beat UK and FL. UK gave GA the toughest matchup GA faced all year. Matchups make football games, and turnovers or injuries can bite any team in the butt. But as mediocre as UK's OL was this year, we still handled UL's defensive interior easily last month. Jeff Brohm will improve the attitude inside UL's locker room and probably get rid of most of the thugs. But there is a large physical difference in the two teams. Brohm may be a pretty good offensive coach, but he is not a magician. UL is still an ACC program. Even if Brohm can out-recruit UK most years, which he probably can't, it would still take years for UL's talent to catch up.

Some people (for example, clueless Nick Roush, a closet UL fan) are trying hard to make it sound like UL is on the verge of catching UK. It's nonsense. Some posters on this board are very gullible and sensitive on this topic, but this is still an ACC vs SEC series. Stoops owns UL, and all the anti-Stoops misinformation in the world will not change a thing. It is just words. Not to worry.

Got to give Brohm credit for winning the B1G West division this year, granted some of the usually top teams like Wisconsin and Iowa were down a bit this year but still winning you division is significant. Very good offensive mind, but his defenses have been lacking. I think he's an 8, 9 win coach in the ACC but don't see the Ville passing Clemson anytime soon, and FSU and Miami look to be ready to move up again.

Any team has the capacity to win any game on the schedule. Appalachian State beat MI and TX A&M. Vandy beat UK and FL. UK gave GA the toughest matchup GA faced all year. Matchups make football games, and turnovers or injuries can bite any team in the butt. But as mediocre as UK's OL was this year, we still handled UL's defensive interior easily last month. Jeff Brohm will improve the attitude inside UL's locker room and probably get rid of most of the thugs. But there is a large physical difference in the two teams. Brohm may be a pretty good offensive coach, but he is not a magician. UL is still an ACC program. Even if Brohm can out-recruit UK most years, which he probably can't, it would still take years for UL's talent to catch up.

Some people (for example, clueless Nick Roush, a closet UL fan) are trying hard to make it sound like UL is on the verge of catching UK. It's nonsense. Some posters on this board are very gullible and sensitive on this topic, but this is still an ACC vs SEC series. Stoops owns UL, and all the anti-Stoops misinformation in the world will not change a thing. It is just words. Not to worry.
Know NR personally and guarantee you he's not a closet U6 fan. Brohm is his cousin so there's family there.

I felt when other teams blitzed and pressured Purdue, they (Purdue) were less effective (though you certainly could get burned once in a while). Letting them sit back and pick you apart was worse (and they did that to Iowa a few games).

I’m interested to see how JB does in his home area. I don’t think they will overtake UK as I believe in Stoops.

Reactions: WildcatDJ
I think he's an 8, 9 win coach in the ACC
If he is, it may still take him 5 years to rebuild their football program to that point because college football is about stacking recruiting classes. If he is not, which is more likely unless they soften up their schedule, then he will not be an improvement over Satterfield.

One interesting aspect of this discussion is that Satterfield is now up-river in Cincinnati. Satterfield didn't receive positive media coverage in Louisville, in part because the bad AD parade there didn't understand how to support him. (They were busy covering their own butts.) I am not defending Satterfield, but coaching in Louisville right now means working around a dysfunctional athletics department and a bunch of out of control wealthy boosters. It is assumed that Brohm will be an improvement over Satterfield. But that is just hubris until Brohm actually proves it. I don't believe Brohm is a bad football coach, but I (and UC) don't believe Satterfield is a bad football coach either. Finding success in major UL sports right now is a leap. If one does not respect Satterfield enough to see that, just ask Chris Mack and Kenny Payne. It is a tough place for a coach to survive.

Last edited:
Know NR personally and guarantee you he's not a closet U6 fan. Brohm is his cousin so there's family there.
In other words, then, Roush is a UL fan who has come out of the closet. I don't claim to "know" him, but I have talked with him enough to know he does not hide his blatantly condescending attitude toward UK's coaches and players.

In other words, then, Roush is a UL fan who has come out of the closet. I don't claim to "know" him, but I have talked with him enough to know he does not hide his blatantly condescending attitude toward UK's coaches and players.
He’s not a Louisville fan lol hell he trolls them the most of any of the UK media

I think there's still going to be a gap but I do believe Brohm will at least be a threat to win the game. I haven't believed that in several years. And it's not because I believe Brohm is going to turn them into a top 3 team in the acc or anything. He has a really aggressive mindset and it will serve them well at times while undercutting them at others.

I think there's still going to be a gap but I do believe Brohm will at least be a threat to win the game. I haven't believed that in several years. And it's not because I believe Brohm is going to turn them into a top 3 team in the acc or anything. He has a really aggressive mindset and it will serve them well at times while undercutting them at others.
If Brohm can't put an OL on the field that can block UK's DL and LBs, then we can put those concerns aside. But if he can, then his guys will still have to play some outstanding football to cause Stoops any real problems because there is a big talent gap (as shown by actual results on the field). Even if Brohm turns out to be the second coming of Nick Saban, he would need to stack several consecutive recruiting classes in order to improve his roster sufficiently to escape the bottom half of the ACC. Also keep in mind, as Brohm improves UL's roster (if he can), UK's roster may be improving too. Stoops has established a strong SEC defensive culture. Boulware and Coen may have impacts on recruiting and quality of play. Stoops has proven to be good at exploiting the portal.

I still think a barely above 500 record even at Purdue is not that great. Will he be an upgrade from Satt? probably, but time will tell. The fact that Clemson and FSU fall off their regular season schedule will make them better right from the get go.

Nick Roush 100% is not a UL closet fan. I would say that he legitimately hates them. I am not sure what you listen to to gain that opinion, but I have never sensed anything but general dislike from him when it pertained to the cards. Part of journalism is supposed to have the ability to be critical of your own team at times when it is warranted. It doesn't mean he likes the cards.

Reactions: Deeeefense
I`ve always said Satterfield was a good coach, but he had to rebuild the football team with all the turmoil that was going on throughout the athletic program. Cincinnati has built a good program and apparently they think he can coach as well. UL fans think this class will make them a better team next season, but I keep telling friends of mine, it takes about 3 years for a freshman to make an impact at the college level, especially on the offensive and defensive lines. In most cases, if a freshman lineman starts, then you have issue`s and your putting the kids interest at risks, because they aren`t developed enough physically. Plus they only signed 2 offensive linemen and 1 defensive lineman, although I believe Carter will move inside.
UK is about 3 years ahead of UL in the trenches and at Linebacker. I do not see them catching us as long as Stoops is here. Can they beat us on occasion? Sure, but not close to being consistently.

One thing the acc is going to have to deal with going forward is that they are going to be considered 3rd or 4th best conference. They have taken a step back that last 3 years. They just aren't what they were and nobody thinks the acc is #1 or even #2 anymore. The Pac has a really good argument that they are better and after all the moving around... Being #2 or #3 in the acc will not be what we think it is now.

I still think 2 teams leave the acc for the SEC and the money is why. Lots of rumors with espn and disney and loss in viewership.... People aren't watching crap.

Satt was a good coach but an awful fit. Brohm will win some big games here and there but overall be no better

Just my opinion, but coaches like Brohm who want to throw the ball so much will not put a team on the field that is very physical. They use words like execution or lack of for success or lack of success. I don't think that matches up very well with a Stoops team.

One thing the acc is going to have to deal with going forward is that they are going to be considered 3rd or 4th best conference. They have taken a step back that last 3 years. They just aren't what they were and nobody thinks the acc is #1 or even #2 anymore. The Pac has a really good argument that they are better and after all the moving around... Being #2 or #3 in the acc will not be what we think it is now.

I still think 2 teams leave the acc for the SEC and the money is why. Lots of rumors with espn and disney and loss in viewership.... People aren't watching crap.
Once OU and TX move to the SEC and UCLA and USC join the B10, the ACC will be 3rd best conference. But the gulf between #2 and #3 will be The Grand Canyon. ACC will become the best of the G5 conferences, basically. If FSU and/or Clemson ever leave, ACC will be no better than the WAC or Sunbelt, imo.

Reactions: hmt5000
Just my opinion, but coaches like Brohm who want to throw the ball so much will not put a team on the field that is very physical. They use words like execution or lack of for success or lack of success. I don't think that matches up very well with a Stoops team.

This. That's why they will be able to win some big games here and there, because that's what you can do with skill heavy teams. Building programs is done in the trenches, and that was actually where satterfield was starting to make headway

Reactions: gamecockcat
Since you guys have some interest here, I'll try to give you a little info on Brohm. I'm sure rucker4 has thoughts as well.

He definitely is a good offensive mind. Loves to throw it (to a fault IMO). He made a bad blunder in the first game of the year vs PSU. Purdue was ahead and got the ball in the 4th quarter and all he had to do was run the ball more in a a few late series (eat the clock and they would have put PSU behind the 8 ball with little time to come back), but inexplicably he chose to pass on every down which stopped the clock. PSU beat them in the end. Purdue was the better team that day IMO.

He has been the one coach in our league which has figure out Phil Parker to a certain extent. He came up with really good game plans to exploit 1 or 2 players on our defense. He was 4-2 vs Iowa.

This year, Iowa had a chip on their shoulder and completely shut them down 24-3 (Charlie Jones left Iowa for Purdue and Iowa didn't take that too well (timing was bad when he left)).

Anyway, I think he is a good coach, can be too aggressive at times and needs to find a good DC to balance the scales (he is really an offensive centric coach).
Brohm's 6-year career at Purdue produced a .500 winning record overall and a .500 conference record. Some would say that was treading water.

The reality though is Purdue's has had LITTLE football success overall dating back 40 years ago. Only one 10-win season in that time. I did a deep dive on Purdue's history when Iowa played them this year and really shocking (even to me) how many struggles that program has had for the past 40 years. Take away some of the Joe Tiller years there and it was just bad.

All things considered, Brohm probably did just fine at Purdue. I expect him to do much better at Louisville because he'll be in a much lesser league now (ACC).

Overall, the net of Satterfield leaving Louisville and Brohm replacing him, Louisville came out MUCH BETTER in my opinion.

Attended your game against NE this year on Family Day as GD is FR there. I've always liked the school's teams in both sports. Gene Keady was a trip. Hope Walters improves the program over Brohm, but you're in a tough spot like us in the SEC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT