ADVERTISEMENT

My five takes from UK’s first Bahamas exhibition

Rembrandt90

Senior
Jun 25, 2018
https://s3.amazonaws.com/ukathletics.com/documents/2018/8/8/UK_Bahamas_080818.pdf

I hope Kentucky.Rivals does not mind me sharing the box score link from UKA since it is official.

Like many of you, I watched last night’s game. Many people are leaping to conclusions this morning that are premature at best. Here are mine.

1. Kentucky won because we outrebounded the Bahamas national team 57-45, and because we had 13 steals compared to their 2 steals. In the end, Kentucky had more left in the tank.

2. Forget about the shooting. It is obvious that UK’s coaching staff hasn’t even begun to install an offense yet. (No defensive system yet either.) In a game where Quade Green goes 1-11 and Keldon Johnson 3-15 from the floor, you can be sure there wasn’t even an attempt to work for good shots or get the ball in the hands of our feature scorers. It was back yard basketball. If UK is shooting like this in December, then you can worry. But that won’t happen. For now, it’s just an exhibition, without any system in place.

3. What we saw was equal distribution of playing time, with nine available scholarship players all getting 17-25 minutes. Although we saw no organized system, you could see everyone playing hard.

4. Here is the stat of the game. Reid Travis hauled in 14 rebounds. No other player on either team had more than 8. Travis will be a man among boys all season.

5. Besides Travis, other Kentucky players who really showed out were Nick Richards, EJ Montgomery, Tyler Herro, and Ashton Hagans. People have had so many questions about Richards that I wonder if they realize he was a freshman with only a couple years of basketball experience. The real problems with Richards have been stamina, confidence, upper body strength, and defensive footwork. Last night, Richards showed that he has made progress with strength and confidence. Questions about his stamina and defense still have to be addressed, but Richards played so well in the first half that he didn’t get to play very much in the second half. Richards is a better player than people think. Montgomery is a much more instinctive and skilled player than I realized, and plays with confidence. If one exhibition game says anything, he looks OAD. Herro will be one of the alpha players on this team. He is very long, gets into the passing lanes defensively, and will be one of the go-to scorers. Hagans didn’t take many shots, but was by far the most instinctive defensive player on the floor on either side. Hagans really impressed me with his length, quickness, and floor awareness.

I really needed someone to tell me what I saw........:rolleyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I'm sure those who could not see the game, loved the recap.[cheers]

I'll take 10 more. Most of us watched the game and saw what you saw but thinks for the walk down memory lane. Are you the guy that goes to work and tells everyone about everything that happened in a game knowing that the people you tell watched the game as well?

Agree and hope Baker can get healthy and become the 10th.
That is the one downer in this,wish Baker had been good to go .I want to see him on the court probably only slightly less than he wants to be out there.

I get crucified on this site every time I bring this up but I really don't care to see brad calipari on the court when I'm trying to get a feel for how our other players are looking. I've always loved coach cal but I think it's a slap in the face to these 5-star recruits who could have played anywhere to make them take a seat to a kid who wouldn't have even sniffed a D-1 school if his dad wasn't the coach. I don't care if he did hit that ugly three... I want to see what our new players can do, and watching Brad is painful.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ukathletics.com/documents/2018/8/8/UK_Bahamas_080818.pdf

I hope Kentucky.Rivals does not mind me sharing the box score link from UKA since it is official.

Like many of you, I watched last night’s game. Many people are leaping to conclusions this morning that are premature at best. Here are mine.

1. Kentucky won because we outrebounded the Bahamas national team 57-45, and because we had 13 steals compared to their 2 steals. In the end, Kentucky had more left in the tank.

2. Forget about the shooting. It is obvious that UK’s coaching staff hasn’t even begun to install an offense yet. (No defensive system yet either.) In a game where Quade Green goes 1-11 and Keldon Johnson 3-15 from the floor, you can be sure there wasn’t even an attempt to work for good shots or get the ball in the hands of our feature scorers. It was back yard basketball. If UK is shooting like this in December, then you can worry. But that won’t happen. For now, it’s just an exhibition, without any system in place.

3. What we saw was equal distribution of playing time, with nine available scholarship players all getting 17-25 minutes. Although we saw no organized system, you could see everyone playing hard.

4. Here is the stat of the game. Reid Travis hauled in 14 rebounds. No other player on either team had more than 8. Travis will be a man among boys all season.

5. Besides Travis, other Kentucky players who really showed out were Nick Richards, EJ Montgomery, Tyler Herro, and Ashton Hagans. People have had so many questions about Richards that I wonder if they realize he was a freshman with only a couple years of basketball experience. The real problems with Richards have been stamina, confidence, upper body strength, and defensive footwork. Last night, Richards showed that he has made progress with strength and confidence. Questions about his stamina and defense still have to be addressed, but Richards played so well in the first half that he didn’t get to play very much in the second half. Richards is a better player than people think. Montgomery is a much more instinctive and skilled player than I realized, and plays with confidence. If one exhibition game says anything, he looks OAD. Herro will be one of the alpha players on this team. He is very long, gets into the passing lanes defensively, and will be one of the go-to scorers. Hagans didn’t take many shots, but was by far the most instinctive defensive player on the floor on either side. Hagans really impressed me with his length, quickness, and floor awareness.
I agree with your five takes. I will add one more. Last year, the offense went through Knox and Gilgeous Alexander, far more of a midrange offense than we have seen here before in Cal’s term. This year could bring more midrange scoring, but the low post offense will be a lot stronger than last year once everyone gets more comfortable.

It may be January before Cal decides what he has and how he wants this team to play.

Reactions: Rembrandt90
I get crucified on this site every time I bring this up but I really don't care to see brad calipari on the court when I'm trying to get a feel for how our other players are looking. I've always loved coach cal but I think it's a slap in the face to these 5-star recruits who could have played anywhere to make them take a seat to a kid who wouldn't have even sniffed a D-1 school if his dad wasn't the coach. I don't care if he did hit that ugly three... I want to see what our new players can do, and watching Brad is painful.

He’s the son of our aging Hall of Fame head coach and he was on the court for less than five minutes in an exhibition game. Find a different reason to be cranky.

Agree and hope Baker can get healthy and become the 10th.

Walked out of the arena last night with Baker and Green, asked Baker about the knee he said it was feeling better and looking forward to getting back on the court. I told him the fans were excited to see him play. He grinned big, acts like a great kid.

Really. He got in for 3 minutes. Is that all you got?

Reactions: BBUK
Not trying to troll, but kentucky is not top 5 team, maybe top 20. Travis and Washington kills your floor spacing, guess that's what cal will have to do is feed the ball inside, since you guys are terrible from the outside.

Not trying to troll, but kentucky is not top 5 team, maybe top 20. Travis and Washington kills your floor spacing, guess that's what cal will have to do is feed the ball inside, since you guys are terrible from the outside.
Not trying to troll.......[roll][roll][roll][roll].........damn ,hate to see the post if you were trying:grimace: News flash,it is August.... your timing is awful.....you must have one of those fake degrees from UNC

Not trying to troll, but Rashad McCants is not a dean's list student at any legitimate, honorable university. Luckily for him he went to UNC-CHeats, where cheating had been institutionalized for decades so basketball players and football players could keep their fraudulent eligibility. It must feel terrible to be a fan of such a disgraceful place.

Not trying to troll, but Rashad McCants is not a dean's list student at any legitimate, honorable university. Luckily for him he went to UNC-CHeats, where cheating had been institutionalized for decades so basketball players and football players could keep their fraudulent eligibility. It must feel terrible to be a fan of such a disgraceful place.
We have won more championship then you guys in last 10 years, you won your back in civil war times lol

We have won more championship then you guys in last 10 years, you won your back on civil war times lol
To avoid well-deserved sanctions, your university defended itself by saying, "Classes where no one attends, no one does any work and everyone gets a fraudulent A fit our academic standards. And under NCAA rules we can decide our own standards." That makes the degree of anyone who attended there a cynical joke. And it makes anyone who roots for UNC-CHeats a clown and a disgrace. Please get lost. Kentucky shouldn't even be associating with your dishonorable school.

You can thank Rick Pitino that your program is no longer the most corrupt in CBB. Maybe you can take consolation in second place?

Wait until the season starts. I expect UNC to be the most overrated team in the country this season. Your program is a joke, the laughing stock of the entire basketball world. There are now more North Carolina fake degree jokes than Chuck Norris jokes.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
I’m certain there’s a place on the World Wide Web where you powder blue pansies congregate to make excuses. Go find it.

First game is a throw away game since I was against a low major college team at best but more on the level of a good D2 team. Tonight’s game will show a better representation of where UK is at due to competition and being the second game which means the players will be more settled in

You can thank Rick Pitino that your program is no longer the most corrupt in CBB. Maybe you can take consolation in second place?

Wait until the season starts. I expect UNC to be the most overrated team in the country this season. Your program is a joke, the laughing stock of the entire basketball world. There are now more North Carolina fake degree jokes than Chuck Norris jokes.

NOPE.

Not even Pitino can minimize the corruption levels at UNCheats. Carolina took a big dump on their core mission and mooned the whole concept of education.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
ADVERTISEMENT