ADVERTISEMENT

MY 2 Cents...

wfm101981

Blue Chip Prospect
Jan 4, 2018
Ok. Here goes.... Guards..
QG... had great looks but an off game. Looks more assertive than last year. Should start over IQ.
IQ , looked decent, can be prone to getting homself in trouble , needs to be more decisive and assertive,.
HERRO... Instant offense... Has to play better defnese, he lets his guy to the hole too much then tries to correct it going for blocks, could be foul prone if he continues,but the stroke is pure..will have minimum 5 games over 20 pts this year...
HAGANS... looks a little lost on offense, defense is unreal, reminds me a little bit of Rondo in that regard...

FOWARDS..
PJ ... great shape, lost some lbs and looks faster than last year yet still can play bully ball... has to pass better out of the post as he will be doubled alot this year...more assertive already... will only continue..
KJ... Alpha dog but must learn to stay within himself, shot looks decent, defensive is good bit gambles a little too much, great rebounder,
RT... a ballhawk on the glass, will create many fast break pts as he cleans up , hits outlet well and layup for us within 4 to 5 secs.. will finish more than we saw in the first game... WILL AVG DOUBLE DOUBLE..too many offensive rebounds not to.
EJ... smooth for a big man, seemed a touch nervous when shooting , but he can be spectacular... good rebounder but not a great shotblocker....
NR... looked better, however, his supporting cast is much better thab last year,,, he had no one really to help him inside last yeat, pj was young n lost sometimes, gabriel wasnt strong, will improve leaps n bounds off that alone...

We wont shoot .35 percent from the field and 2 for 20 from 3 every game,.. when this team comes together, we will be very hard to beat.

Responses are appreciated..

It was a vacation practice.

Clubbin.gif~c200

Reactions: BlueBomb and Blueaz
I wouldn't use the first game of a vacation scrimmage schedule to make a judgement on UK's shooting......
This is just crazy.. all these trolls, haters, wannabes that are soooooo worried about last nights shooting.
Where is UMM with some perspective? He is always level headed.

Reactions: awf and MbergCat
It seemed pretty clear to me that most of our players didn't exactly know where to be positioned on offense, who should be taking a shot and when, over passing to the post, etc. What won the game was mainly pressure defense by our guards to create turn-overs, and playing two platoons which totally wore down the other team. It is what I posted before the game, our big advantage this season over most teams is the deep bench. So, whether plantoon or not, if Cal utilizes all the talent with substituting and keeping guys fresh especially late in the game, we have something most won't to this degree, real depth.

I was disappointed in Travis more than anyone as I imagined with his experience he would be this offensive dominating player but at times he was clearly lost. However, he replaced Vanderbilt in being a rebounding machine. It might have to do with getting familiar with the teamates and again back to my first sentence.

The team may struggle against better guards but then it is hard to imagine we will shoot that lousy again from the outside.

I wasn’t disappointed in Travis because he rebounded and he was pretty much everywhere. No he didn’t have a great offensive game but he’s also learning a brand new system, with new teammates they all have to learn each other. But , I’m sure it was noticed, he never gave up, he kept pushing through..never got the sense that he would quit because his offense wasn’t quite there

Quade Green should've transferred. Not good enough imo. That's my view of him after 40 games.
Edit: as always when you trash a player they come out and play better lol. Sorry

Last edited:
Quade looked rough last night. Maybe trying to do too much?

This team has a motor. Was it EJ or KJ that almost putback a dunk last night after IQs missed shot. Creeped like a ninja through the D and about made a Top 10 play. While everyone else was staring at the ball, he was actually watching it and nearly made a fantastic play.

We. Are. Fine.
We. Are. Fine.
We. Are. Fine.

If we play like that in December I’ll be worried. (We won’t.)

We will definitely be a good club, with the potential to be an excellent one. We have many pieces this year. It will be fun to watch the season unfold.

Reactions: awf
I wasn’t disappointed in Travis because he rebounded and he was pretty much everywhere. No he didn’t have a great offensive game but he’s also learning a brand new system, with new teammates they all have to learn each other. But , I’m sure it was noticed, he never gave up, he kept pushing through..never got the sense that he would quit because his offense wasn’t quite there

Veteran leadership. That rare, yet often sought after experience we've always yearned for but commonly are without. It feels good to have it. Travis/Richards/Washington/Green are going to be huge this year with such young yet still ahead-of-the-curve freshman.

Quade Green should've transferred. Not good enough imo. That's my view of him after 40 games.

He had 5 assist and 1 to and 2 steals to go along with a +25 when he was on the court. Yeah he had a poor shooting game but the whole team shot poorly. We will need Quade when the freshman hit that mid season wall to help them stay focused and push thru with his experience. Quade is going to have some big games for us.

Let's don't forget. Bahamas, women, 18 yr drinking age. I'm not saying but I'm saying.

Reactions: awf
This is just crazy.. all these trolls, haters, wannabes that are soooooo worried about last nights shooting.
Where is UMM with some perspective? He is always level headed.

In his absence, I'll chime in that we're gonna hit 50% of our threes tonight with at least 4 guys hitting 3 each!

Reactions: Blueaz
This team is going to be a monster. We win by 40 if the shots fall. That's as bad as wel'll ever shoot. What a season we have in store.

Reactions: KyJones64
The glass is more than half full as far as I'm concerned. Given the same circumstances, '12 and '15 didn't look better at this point. Showed flashes of talent and nastiness, and great depth. As for the shooting, I need a little bigger sample before worrying about that.

So OP, your take of Nick Richards is "looked better, but his supporting cast is better" ? Wow. He missed one damn shot, his little baseline 12 footer and his jump hooks going in had nothing to do with his damn supporting cast. Terrible recap of NR last night. Kid played a hell of a game. Now lets just see if he can do it night in and night out, but his supporting cast did not have a thing to do with his play last night.

Reactions: KyJones64
I’m not starting a new thread so here’s my take

First off, it was basically played like an all star gsme. The guys played tough but wouldn’t of taken some of the shots they took last night I’d be as careless with the ball at times

It’s our first game we couldn’t hit 3s. I couldn’t care less. That willl not be the norm during the regular season. The guys will not have nights like last night on a consistent basis from outside.

Richards, yes he looked and played phenomenal. But in order to keep that position he will have to do it consistently against real completion. I still think the starting job goes to Travis. Sure he only had 4 points but he missed a couple put backs but had 14 rebounds. He wasn’t terrible last night he played well he just didn’t score a ton

Quickly/Hagans great defenders they will be playing a lot this year with green sometimes all together. They bother had some great steals and here they just take it away. Plus I believe Quickley had 5 assists. I think green got a little overzealous when his shot wasn’t falling but he still played hard which is a bonus from lost year when he smacked off when having a bad game.

Herro/Johnson- both are alpha dogs. Johnson going for the highlight reel, and was not afraid to take it to the basket. When he missed he stuck with it and followed his shot. Herro with 16 was great. The guy is not afraid to keep shooting even if he goes 0-3 he still finds ways to score and contribute to the team. He won’t start but he will play starter mins since he can play the 2-3 and is not afraid to take big shots especially if we need a 3.

Pj/ej- pj looks to be in better shape and is playing with the chip on his shoulder he played tough d last night and scored at will. He will continue to get better and if we hope to get 9 he will have to be a leader in doing so. Ej, looked silky smooth. He has a really nice touch especially around the basketball. I’m not reading too much into his performance like the others but if he continues to build on yesterday, he will see pt at the 4-5 and it wouldn’t surprise me to see cal through him in at the 3 for a few mins I’m certain game situations

Travis was also doubled every time he touched the ball. He'll be fine, and 14 rebounds!! Holy smokes

Reactions: Bkocats
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT