ADVERTISEMENT

Multivitamins/Supplements for general health - Yay or nay, recommendations?

I recommend:

91625.jpg

I've had two different doctors recommend to never take vitamins as they don't work and your body doesn't absorb something like 90% of the nutrients in vitamins. Then sent me the research they had read on the subject.

I go back and forth. If you eat healthy, you never need to take a vitamin. Most people don't eat healthy. But, if vitamins actually don't do anything, why take them? I frankly think they're all about the same.

Reactions: ZenCatFan73
Thanks. What brand do you take?
An off brand we get from Sams called vitafusion. Not any thing special because I read some where that vitamin supplements are OK but a large portion of the vitamins are passed out through urination. You get some benefit but not as much as advertised.

An off brand we get from Sams called vitafusion. Not any thing special because I read some where that vitamin supplements are OK but a large portion of the vitamins are passed out through urination. You get some benefit but not as much as advertised.
Thanks. I'll check them out.

Pretty sure it’s all a bunch of bunk, but I take the Kroger brand of Centrum with iron. It helped my iron level. Not sure what else it does.
I’m taking a Centrum multivitamin, pretty sure it’s responsible for making my turds darker.

I’ve also taken some Rx vitamin D. I was diagnosed as vitamin D deficient. Seems to help with my energy levels some.

My doctor says multivitamins are fine for everyone but are really only necessary for people who have really weird eating habits, like bad aversions to vegetables or something similar.

I always think of the TV show that profiled cases of a woman pathologist. One episode was about a woman who was a health nut and died with mysterious symptoms, kind of like a poisoning. They couldn't determine the cause until they went to her home and found her vitamin stash. She had mixed supplements that gave her thousands of times the recommended doses of some vitamins that didn't show up in normal testing. In her defense, she had taken things with different names but were actually the same chemically.

I take one a day vitamin GNC brand. It's chock full of vitamins as well as amino acids. I'm 22 and workout everyday and fell in love with the whole process as well as supplements so I've done countless research. I'd recommend taking a fish oil pill as well. The Omega 3s in them are great for your heart and eyesight as well. Aside from that you could check in on some arginine, it helps promote blood flow and opens up your veins! Hopefully this helps.

Used to work at a vitamin store in Tucson in college, got really into it for a while - protein shake to start the day with a digestible vitamin (like garden of life that you can chew or clear capsules where the coating dissolves) but not a tablet as like 90% of those don't get absorbed, an omega 3 and a probiotic. Was working out about 6 days a week, was in my mid 20s, really felt great. Then I just kinda stopped taking all the supplements and kept working out and felt just as good. Now I'm in my mid/late 30s and don't take anything and work out a little and eat way less and feel fine, so I'm pretty sure all that crap (which was pretty damn expensive) was pointless. I'm now a believer in eating healthy (and just generally less) is the best thing.

I disagree. Your body is different in your 30s vs 20s obviously, but whatever you do good or bad has a compounding effect that may not manifest itself until later, good or bad.

If you don’t feel great in your 20s then you are doing something seriously wrong. Later in life, you will feel what you sow though.

Disagree with what? What I was saying was I think eating healthy and working out is significantly more important and better than a multivitamin/supplement. Meaning if you are doing those things a multivitamin and other supplements aren't really doing that much good, there are lots of studies that basically say the same thing.

I know some people swear by them (my wife included) but I just don't anymore.

The overall implication of your post was that supplements plus healthy lifestyle in your 20s would've produced no different result than simply just healthy lifestyle.

My point is that it is indeterminable; perhaps you would not feel quite as good now if you weren't quite as good then.

That is what I disagree with, not that eating well and caloric restriction aren't beneficial or that maybe they are in and of itself totally enough, just that it is more probable that there is an added appreciable benefit for supplements than not, irrespective of the magnitude of that appreciable benefit.... if that makes sense.

Ya it does, I certainly don't think they hurt anything, guess it's impossible to know if they had a "significant" effect. My sister is a dietician and seems to think they don't have a big effect unless you're malnourished but even she admits she doesn't know for sure.

How do you all feel about them? Recommendations for 44 year old male for general health?
As an old 71 year old, I suggest that you talk to your doctor to confirm that the advise that I give you below is good for you. Actually your blood work can reveal if you need more Vit D, E, C, et.al. Most of the time a 44 year old needs nothing more than a good multi vitamin supplement and they are cheap.

Since college I have had to have supplemental B vitamins. Now I take a lot of Vitamin D-3 (bone density), E (skin) and my B vitamins. The volume is advised by my doctor.

The worn out idea that if you eat correctly you do not need help is a flat out lie. Most humans do not get enough vitamin D, even the sun worshipers. Most need supplements of some kind. I just suggest that you go to your doctor and get a good workup. But in the mean time get a good centrum multivitiman bottle and start.

Yeah, but what ARE electrolytes? Do you even know?
yes sir.

As a chemistry major I know more than I want to know about electrolytes. All life totally depends on electrolytes.

Next question.

I cannot believe how a good simple question in this thread devolved into such shit. Damn people be honest. If you don't know say so, but if you have good ideas express them.

I'm thinking of adding a probiotic. I'm generally the most handsome mother fluffer there is, but one of my flaws, my only flaw really.. is that I have Seborrheic Dermatitis. Tried everything to clear up my scalp from dandruff and flaking.. nothing works. I read that probiotics might help.

yes sir. As a chemistry major I know more than I want to know about electrolytes.
Not only was I not asking you, I wasn't even asking a serious question. I was quoting a freaking movie.

I cannot believe how a good simple question in this thread devolved into such shit.
Jeebus what a drama queen. You're the only person whose feathers are ruffled, everybody else is joking around. Settle down, sip on a glass of prune juice, and STFU.

Ya it does, I certainly don't think they hurt anything, guess it's impossible to know if they had a "significant" effect. My sister is a dietician and seems to think they don't have a big effect unless you're malnourished but even she admits she doesn't know for sure.
That was the general point I was making. They do a little good according to most things I have read because, most of the benefits are pissed away. You can tell if you take a lot because even if you are hydrating as you should you will still piss out a darker yellow urine stream not along after taking them which would suggest that most of the vitamins are being pissed out. I take a vitamin supplement for older men, Glucosamine, and Lutein twice a day. Not sure if the vitamins are doing any good but, used to have hip pains that have been greatly reduced because of the Glucosamine imo.

Last edited:
Not only was I not asking you, I wasn't even asking a serious question. I was quoting a freaking movie.

Jeebus what a drama queen. You're the only person whose feathers are ruffled, everybody else is joking around. Settle down, sip on a glass of prune juice, and STFU.
Up yours, turd head.

What is you degree in? Oh, a grade school drop out. I am sorry.

I hope that you don't pee on my next pizza delivery.

ADVERTISEMENT