ADVERTISEMENT

Mulder..wing span 6'11"..??

poppycat

Junior
Sep 23, 2006
I read here earlier that Mulder had a 6'11" wing span. If true, why could he not defend and rebound at the 3 wing.?
That reach is comparable to someone @ 6'8".Is he not getting respect because he's a JUCO?

I'm thinking Tony Delk like body. (less skill)
opinions please.........no need to evaluate my sanity......my wife will handle that.
wink.r191677.gif

He's a classic SG, we need a hoss at the SF spot and he's not it. That said, there is about a 10 minute video on youtube where he is doing nothing but dunk contests and he can get up a lot better than many would have you believe.

I was thinking if we didn't get Ingram or Brown, would he be a better fit than Matthews? (or POY)

Would need to be Matthews, though not sure he could get it done at the necessary level. If we don't get Ingram or Brown, it's going to suck big time, we will have a HUGE gap at SF, as in a lot of ways we did this year. Devin and Aaron were able to play SF at times, though we need a true SF!

He would be an option.

I could see Briscoe at almost 6'4 with a 6'8 wingspan and such a strong body (dude is a specimen) could guard the 3 as well. Briscoe is 200 lbs. and already sculpted.

If Derek Anderson (about the same height) can play the 3 in college, so could Briscoe.

If we add Newman or Murray, I would not be shocked to see Briscoe at the 3 in a three guard lineup. Strength and length (wingspan) are more important than height, IMHO.

DA was 6-5 by most accounts and had a vertical of 34-36 inches, we also had Ron Mercer, classic SF. There was a thread on here recently talking about Cal and SFs and it's definitely true. Other than MKG he hasn't really signed a great SF. Miller could have been one if he would've been more aggressive. If Briscoe is checking SFs, we are going to be in a world of hurt, haha.

This post was edited on 4/19 5:38 PM by Philstat

We are desperate for a small forward.Alex just doesn't have the ball handling skills,Matthews is raw and a year away from being good enough.We might have to play Mulder there even though it doesn't seem to be his position at all.

Originally posted by poppycat:
I was thinking if we didn't get Ingram or Brown, would he be a better fit than Matthews? (or POY)
If he can defend, sure.

I am very high on Mulder and I think if he comes here with confidence and isn't afraid of being in the spotlight he could be better than a freshman Brown or Ingram, and I really believe that in my opinion. I also believe if he is immune to the environment here at Kentucky than he can even start at the 3 spot and could really flourish. Forgive me for my optimism. GO BIG BLUE!

Mulder must have a vertical in the neighborhood of 44-48 inches judging from dunking video that we all saw on here. That is flying.

Originally posted by poppycat:
I read here earlier that Mulder had a 6'11" wing span. If true, why could he not defend and rebound at the 3 wing.?
That reach is comparable to someone @ 6'8".Is he not getting respect because he's a JUCO?

I'm thinking Tony Delk like body. (less skill)
opinions please.........no need to evaluate my sanity......my wife will handle that.
wink.r191677.gif
Wing span correct. He had 24 blocks last season.

Originally posted by Philstat:
DA was 6-5 by most accounts and had a vertical of 34-36 inches, we also had Ron Mercer, classic SF. There was a thread on here recently talking about Cal and SFs and it's definitely true. Other than MKG he hasn't really signed a great SF. Miller could have been one if he would've been more aggressive. If Briscoe is checking SFs, we are going to be in a world of hurt, haha.

This post was edited on 4/19 5:38 PM by Philstat

I have been in the same room as DA. He's 6'4, IMHO. I doubt he has a 6'8 wingspan either.

It is true about Mercer, though.

Still, there are tons of examples of guys 6'4 playing the 3 on very good teams.

The disadvantages are easy to point out with going small, but the advantages are often overlooked.

Imagine a 6'6-6'7 Small Forward trying to check a quick 6'4 PG all game.

Imagine a 6'6-6'7 Small Forward trying to drive on a quick 6'4 PG with a 6'8 wingspan.

It would be better to have a "true" SF like Brown or Ingram, but sometimes you have to make due with what you have and try to exploit mismatches that give you an advantage.

Having a "true" 3 is more a luxury than a necessity. Outside of Simmons, Ingram, and Brown, who will be the other elite SFs in college next year?

If Matthews can play D, he will be fine playing the 3. He's 6'6" and very athletic. A guy like Mulder should be able to fill in in a pinch. Playing 3 guards at a time isn't the end of the world, and is in fact more common than not these days.

You don't need a huge 3 in the college game to succeed. A lot of people have been so spoiled by the size of Cal's 3 men that they think it's a normal thing. It's not, we've just had the luxury of having them. We can use a three guard set with the biggest guarding the opposing 3. Happens all the time in college.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Aike:
Having a "true" 3 is more a luxury than a necessity. Outside of Simmons, Ingram, and Brown, who will be the other elite SFs in college next year?

If Matthews can play D, he will be fine playing the 3. He's 6'6" and very athletic. A guy like Mulder should be able to fill in in a pinch. Playing 3 guards at a time isn't the end of the world, and is in fact more common than not these days.
If Mulder,Matthews and Willis could somehow split the time at the 3 and let AP and Lee play the 4 we could get by with that.If Diallo shows up things get a whole lot better very quickly.

With the exception of a few moments of sepia tape, I have never seen Mulder in real game action. What I saw was an athletic 2/3 with great hops and an excellent high and quick release
I have seen Mathews play 2 and1/2 competitive games. He is the real deal. He is bigger than Mulder and a better athlete. I would be surprised if Mulder can out jump Mathews who blocked numerous shots in the games I saw. Mathews can play some defense with long arms and quick hands.

Both have real talent and will see minutes at the 2 and 3 spots next year assuming we don't get Ingram who is better than both Mulder and Mathews (much taller than both and an even better shooter than Mulder).

I am not gonna say Mathews isn't better I am sure he is, but I saw the dunk clip everyone else saw and if Mathews is a better athlete and Leaper than Mullder then he was an overlooked 5star for sure! Because I saw Mullder looking down at the rim most of em!

This post was edited on 4/19 9:45 PM by Dablueman

Originally posted by bookerfan66:

We are desperate for a small forward.Alex just doesn't have the ball handling skills,Matthews is raw and a year away from being good enough.We might have to play Mulder there even though it doesn't seem to be his position at all.
What about Willis? He can shoot, pass, and rebound.

Willis can't guard a college 3 on a consistent basis.

Willis can not handle the ball well enough to play the 3 spot consistently in Cal's system.

Willis will give you decent shooting, decent rebounding, and decent passing, but is it worth what you give up in defense and ballhandling?

Poythress is a much better option at 3 than Willis. If they are in the game together I have Poythress guarding the 3 and Willis guarding the 4.

Do not forget the three new walk-on's. We only have NINE scholarship players at this time.

You need ten players to practice.

Originally posted by bucsrule8872:

Willis can not handle the ball well enough to play the 3 spot consistently in Cal's system.

Willis will give you decent shooting, decent rebounding, and decent passing, but is it worth what you give up in defense and ballhandling?

Poythress is a much better option at 3 than Willis. If they are in the game together I have Poythress guarding the 3 and Willis guarding the 4.
I agree with you about Willis, but reluctantly. I root for the local boys, but they rarely seem to work out. I thought Hood was going to be much better than he turned out, and Willis seems to be following that pattern. After the Bahamas trip, I thought maybe he was going to see some minutes beyond mop-up time, but it didn't work out that way.

Some say that Cal never gave him a chance, but I don't see how anyone can think if he was showing it in practice, he wouldn't get in. I think it would have been better for him if he had gone elsewhere, but if he is happy to stay and play much fewer mins, then who are we to deny him that. I just think Cal is always going to recruit enough talent to keep him on the bench.

He would be an option.

I could see Briscoe at almost 6'4 with a 6'8 wingspan and such a strong body (dude is a specimen) could guard the 3 as well. Briscoe is 200 lbs. and already sculpted.

If Derek Anderson (about the same height) can play the 3 in college, so could Briscoe.

If we add Newman or Murray, I would not be shocked to see Briscoe at the 3 in a three guard lineup. Strength and length (wingspan) are more important than height, IMHO.
DA is about 6-5 to 6-6. I've seen him in person several times; I'm 6-4 and he's taller than me so I know.

You don't know that. He hasn't played enough to determine what he can or can't do. I think Willis can handle the ball as well as Poythress.

If Willis stays, we will see how it shakes out. If he's not going to play, he should TF IMO.

I don't know what we might get out of Willis this year.

I agree that you could probably put Willis on the floor with Poythress and Skal and slide Poythress over to guard the other team's three spot.

That's assuming Willis has bulked up enough to guard a four. As a 6'9" junior, one would hope that's the case.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT