ADVERTISEMENT

Moving Forward

cal=8

Sophomore
Nov 3, 2009
This team has to get more production from the 2 and 3 spots.

Everyone says we have the players but do we? Cason Wallace has not been good against top tier talent. I'm not knocking him because he's a freshman and will be very good at some point but he's yet to prove it against top 25 competition. We need him to be much better.
We haven't gotten much of anything from the 3 spot. Reeves and Livingston have not given us anything close to what we need from that spot.

Think about last year's team where most of the scoring came from Ty Ty and Grady at the 2 and 3 spots when we were playing well.

We should able to duplicate what we got from Brooks at the 4 and Oscar will be fine.

Toppin and Collins can give us plenty from the 4. Ugonna looked like he can help us moving forward as a back up for Oscar.

Wheeler is a damn good point guard and I was proud of his effort today.

We've got to get more from the shooting guard and the small forward position.

I love Ky Basketball and will not quit watching this team.

We’re going to lose a minimum of 11 games.

Toppin is going to perform reasonably well against shit teams, then be given lots of minutes against good ones, with Cal hoping for similar results. But it won’t happen - because he’s not very good at basketball. Same can be said for Wheeler and Wallace.

At this point, just okay for next year. Get Ugonna and Thiero experience.

Reeves is gone, Wheeler is gone, Toppin is useless, CJ is useless, Collins probably gone and is useless. Ugonna and Thiero can become serviceable dudes and aren’t going to bitch when super freshmen arrive and get starting nods over them.

This team has to get more production from the 2 and 3 spots.

Everyone says we have the players but do we? Cason Wallace has not been good against top tier talent. I'm not knocking him because he's a freshman and will be very good at some point but he's yet to prove it against top 25 competition. We need him to be much better.
We haven't gotten much of anything from the 3 spot. Reeves and Livingston have not given us anything close to what we need from that spot.

Think about last year's team where most of the scoring came from Ty Ty and Grady at the 2 and 3 spots when we were playing well.

We should able to duplicate what we got from Brooks at the 4 and Oscar will be fine.

Toppin and Collins can give us plenty from the 4. Ugonna looked like he can help us moving forward as a back up for Oscar.

Wheeler is a damn good point guard and I was proud of his effort today.

We've got to get more from the shooting guard and the small forward position.

I love Ky Basketball and will not quit watching this team.
I'm not happy with the job Cal has done as of late. I don't see how anyone could be. He's the Coach for now and I hope he can get this team all on the same page. I think his biggest error was thinking Cj and Reeves could give us what we needed to replace Grady and Mintz.

I thought Cason would be better than Ty Ty but he hasn't. Fortunately he brought in Thiero at the last minute but we really have not been able to produce at those spots.

Maybe Thiero can be the guy at the 3 but we have to have consistent scoring from the two and 3.

I'm not happy with the job Cal has done as of late. I don't see how anyone could be. He's the Coach for now and I hope he can get this team all on the same page. I think his biggest error was thinking Cj and Reeves could give us what we needed to replace Grady and Mintz.

I thought Cason would be better than Ty Ty but he hasn't. Fortunately he brought in Thiero at the last minute but we really have not been able to produce at those spots.

Maybe Thiero can be the guy at the 3 but we have to have consistent scoring from the two and 3.
Thiero wasn’t given minutes when he needed them. Cal kept running all these other guys out there who weren’t getting it done, while Thiero sat on the bench. And now that Cal sees that Thiero can be a net positive guy, Thiero lacks the experience to contribute even more (especially on the offensive end where he’s not looking to do much of anything).

But Livingston will keep chucking and missing wide open threes in the half court sets. So that’s nice.

Thiero wasn’t given minutes when he needed them. Cal kept running all these other guys out there who weren’t getting it done, while Thiero sat on the bench. And now that Cal sees that Thiero can be a net positive guy, Thiero lacks the experience to contribute even more (especially on the offensive end where he’s not looking to do much of anything).

But Livingston will keep chucking and missing wide open threes in the half court sets. So that’s nice.
Well, I'm not at practice nor do I get paid 9 million a year to evaluate players and create Rosters but Livingston looked like the guy to play the 3 to me. Hopefully moving forward Cal will find some time for Thiero at the 3 and 4.

We really need consistent shooting from the 3. I think Cal thought Reeves would be that guy. If one of those 3 don't step up big I don't think we'll make the tournament.

Wallace will probably get it together at the

Toppin is going to perform reasonably well against shit teams, then be given lots of minutes against good ones, with Cal hoping for similar results. But it won’t happen - because he’s not very good at basketball. Same can be said for Wheeler and Wallace.

Reeves is gone, Wheeler is gone, Toppin is useless, CJ is useless, Collins probably gone and is useless. Ugonna and Thiero can become serviceable dudes and aren’t going to bitch when super freshmen arrive and get starting nods over them.
I agree those two having high ceilings for the future....

Well, I'm not at practice nor do I get paid 9 million a year to evaluate players and create Rosters but Livingston looked like the guy to play the 3 to me. Hopefully moving forward Cal will find some time for Thiero at the 3 and 4.

We really need consistent shooting from the 3. I think Cal thought Reeves would be that guy. If one of those 3 don't step up big I don't think we'll make the tournament.

In Bahamas, Blue/White, exhibitions - Thiero outplayed Livingston.

At this point, the reality is that of the three (Reeves, Livingston, Thiero) - only Thiero will be here next year. So let’s roll with him and get him developed so that we have experienced depth next season.

Livingston is a 4. Period

Reactions: Fox2monk and gojvc
In Bahamas, Blue/White, exhibitions - Thiero outplayed Livingston.

At this point, the reality is that of the three (Reeves, Livingston, Thiero) - only Thiero will be here next year. So let’s roll with him and get him developed so that we have experienced depth next season.
It's all about demonstrated performance. Hope he gets some pt Tues. Thiero does have enormous upside. He may be 6'8 by next year.

Reactions: CincyUKFan
Great post OP. Reeves isn’t who we thought and Fredrick has disappointed/been injured. We came into the season with 2 shooters and due to injuries, weak defense, lackadaisical play we really haven’t been able to depend on either.

My opinion only, I don’t think Reeves is a winning player. He’s a volume scorer that is a defensive liability and makes bad decisions. I think we need Fredrick to get healthy and stay healthy. The best version of this team has him at the 3(or 2 with Cason the 3). Having Chris, Adou doesn’t cut it and Antonio read above. I expect us to really struggle on the road due to lack of toughness. I expect Fredrick will help, the schedule calming down will help, but in the end it just won’t be enough for a good ending to the season.

Reactions: cal=8
Great post OP. Reeves isn’t who we thought and Fredrick has disappointed/been injured. We came into the season with 2 shooters and due to injuries, weak defense, lackadaisical play we really haven’t been able to depend on either.

My opinion only, I don’t think Reeves is a winning player. He’s a volume scorer that is a defensive liability and makes bad decisions. I think we need Fredrick to get healthy and stay healthy. The best version of this team has him at the 3(or 2 with Cason the 3). Having Chris, Adou doesn’t cut it and Antonio read above. I expect us to really struggle on the road due to lack of toughness. I expect Fredrick will help, the schedule calming down will help, but in the end it just won’t be enough for a good ending to the season.
CJ, if he can make shots, is okay. But Thiero is better at the 3 than a cold CJ and a volume shooter/no D Reeves.

CJ, if he can make shots, is okay. But Thiero is better at the 3 than a cold CJ and a volume shooter/no D Reeves.
I like Thiero with his IQ and energy. He essentially is a better version of Lance just on the wing. But he hasn’t shown enough offensively to feel like it would make a positive difference to me. Sadly the difference between him and Chris is minimal with neither being a huge positive IMO.

I like Thiero with his IQ and energy. He essentially is a better version of Lance just on the wing. But he hasn’t shown enough offensively to feel like it would make a positive difference to me. Sadly the difference between him and Chris is minimal with neither being a huge positive IMO.
I think Thiero would hit a lot more of those open 3’s than Livingston does. But Cal hasn’t given us a chance to find out.

Wallace?

I can't really refute what you stated about Reeves. It rings pretty true actually. But I disagree that he isn't the guy UK needs to be its best version (although admittedly not a great version). A volume scorer is better than no scorer, right?

I agree. Cason will likely come on strong as the season progresses. The 3 spot is broken. If Cal wants to prove he still has it he needs to fix it. I don't know what to think about Cj. If he can get healthy I suppose he could be the x factor.

I think Thiero would hit a lot more of those open 3’s than Livingston does. But Cal hasn’t given us a chance to find out.
Perhaps. The fact we’re talking about benching a top 15 recruit for a sub 100 developmental player freshmen is indicative of the current state of things! In the transfer portal era where all these teams have good, deep rosters with talent and experience you just can’t have someone like Thiero play big minutes and have a chance(not saying Livingston is any better from what we’ve seen).

I think Livingston could be a star as a stretch 4. He's an absolute miss as a 3
Problem is we already have Toppin and Collins at the 4. Livingston was listed as a guard coming in. Not sure where he fits on this team.

Problem is we already have Toppin and Collins at the 4. Livingston was listed as a guard coming in. Not sure where he fits on this team.
Doesn't matter where people are listed. What matters is where they fit in. Sounds like you're thinking like Cal

Doesn't matter where people are listed. What matters is where they fit in. Sounds like you're thinking like Cal
I just think Toppin is the guy at the 4. We need Collins shot blocking and I actually think he's gonna come on strong as he continues to heal mentally. I like those two at the 4.

After the way Reeves has played I hoped Livingston being a top 15 prospect and listed as a guard coming in could make an impact at the 3. He's not getting it done.

I just think Toppin is the guy at the 4. We need Collins shot blocking and I actually think he's gonna come on strong as he continues to heal mentally. I like those two at the 4.

After the way Reeves has played I hoped Livingston being a top 15 prospect and listed as a guard coming in could make an impact at the 3. He's not getting it done.
Liking Toppins and Collins at the 4 means you’ve got the same mindset as Cal.

Here’s the deal - you like them at the 4 when you see them go up against fake teams in the Bahamas and bad teams like Louisville.

But you’re not understanding that against legit teams - these guys at the 4 can’t get it done. A system that has guys with their skill sets at the 4 is a failed system.

Did you see the graphic that showed Toppin’s numbers before the last two games he’s played? 3.3 ppg, and that’s where he was at again today.

Wallace WILL be very good once he reaches the NBA and develops. Thiero needs more run at the 3 spot. The kid has a knack for the ball but someone (CAL) has been is his ear and he passed up a wide open 3 tonight. He has the highest ceiling of anyone on the team but that’s jmo.
Cal always says shoot it or come out of the game. I think he defers to other shooters

Liking Toppins and Collins at the 4 means you’ve got the same mindset as Cal.

Here’s the deal - you like them at the 4 when you see them go up against fake teams in the Bahamas and bad teams like Louisville.

But you’re not understanding that against legit teams - these guys at the 4 can’t get it done. A system that has guys with their skill sets at the 4 is a failed system.

Did you see the graphic that showed Toppin’s numbers before the last two games he’s played? 3.3 ppg, and that’s where he was at again today.
So you think Livingston would be better than Toppin at the 4? I'm not buying that. lol

Toppin played well against LSU. LSU is a good defensive team. Toppin didn't play well today but neither did anyone on our team except for the guy who gets the most criticism on the team, Wheeler. The only guy on our team that has any balls. He actually played with swagger. I love him getting the technical. Smallest guy on the court, but he didn't back down.

So you think Livingston would be better than Toppin at the 4? I'm not buying that. lol
Yes. He makes better cuts, shoots the ball better, can take his man off the dribble, plays defense and rebounds better.

He would create mismatches that Toppin doesn’t create.

Toppin is hot garbage and his numbers reflect that.

I can't really refute what you stated about Reeves. It rings pretty true actually. But I disagree that he isn't the guy UK needs to be its best version (although admittedly not a great version). A volume scorer is better than no scorer, right?
I'd be okay with a volume scorer that has defensive woes but Reeves can't score at this level. At least up to this point.

Try 14 losses

Yes. He makes better cuts, shoots the ball better, can take his man off the dribble, plays defense and rebounds better.

He would create mismatches that Toppin doesn’t create.

Toppin is hot garbage and his numbers reflect that.
LSU is the 7 best team in defensive efficiency which means we'll face 6 more opponents this season better in that category than LSU. In that game Toppin played 31 mins. was 9-13 for 21 points, had 3 rebounds, 3 assts. 1 to and hit the two clutch free throws that sealed the win after Livingston fouled the 3 point shooter. That performance wasn't hot garbage. He didn't play well today but neither did anyone else besides Wheeler. We'll see. If Livingston is the better option I hope he gets a shot. I'm all about seeing us win. I still disagree.

LSU is the 7 best team in defensive efficiency which means we'll face 6 more opponents this season better in that category than LSU. In that game Toppin played 31 mins. was 9-13 for 21 points, had 3 rebounds, 3 assts. 1 to and hit the two clutch free throws that sealed the win after Livingston fouled the 3 point shooter. That performance wasn't hot garbage. He didn't play well today but neither did anyone else besides Wheeler. We'll see. If Livingston is the better option I hope he gets a shot. I'm all about seeing us win. I still disagree.
That game was an anomaly.

He was at Rhode Island for a reason. He sat behind Brooks for a reason. Cal gave him 13 minutes against Mizzou for a reason. He’s weak. And we’d be better if he played 10mpg off the bench.

Today we got NOTHING from the 3,4,or 5 spot. You don't beat anyone with that kind of production..Cal hasn't had a good power forward since Bam, and for his system to work he HAS to have one. This year we don't have decent 3 either. Recipe to beat UK this year, double and triple Oscar, put your best most physical guard on Wallace and dare the rest to beat you. I see no real way of improving our offense, you can't polish a turd. Only hope of improvement is teach these guys to play better defense and that requires toughness something g these guys don't seem to have

Today we got NOTHING from the 3,4,or 5 spot. You don't beat anyone with that kind of production..Cal hasn't had a good power forward since Bam, and for his system to work he HAS to have one. This year we don't have decent 3 either. Recipe to beat UK this year, double and triple Oscar, put your best most physical guard on Wallace and dare the rest to beat you. I see no real way of improving our offense, you can't polish a turd. Only hope of improvement is teach these guys to play better defense and that requires toughness something g these guys don't seem to have
I think you hit the nail on the head, unfortunately. I know the 2010-11 team was much better but that team was also soft. They only won two games on the road the whole season. Then the last game of the year we played at Tenn and the light finally came on. That team on plaper didn't look all that great but the pieces fit.

Maybe that's why it took Cal so long to settle on a rotation. The pieces don't fit.

ADVERTISEMENT