J_Dee

Junior
Mar 21, 2008
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_films_of_2023

I'll probably see most of these:

Infinity Pool.
Cocaine Bear.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
The Last Voyage of the Demeter, which is...
a prequel to Stoker's Dracula.
Dungeons & Dragons. I couldn't care less about it but my gaming group wants to see it.
Super Mario Brothers. Taking my niece.
Oppenheimer.
The Flash, just for Keaton's Batman.
Dune Part 2.

What are you looking forward to?

Interested in Super Mario Brothers. Always wondered what it would look like in a movie form instead of video game play.

Reactions: J_Dee
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_films_of_2023

I'll probably see most of these:

Infinity Pool.
Cocaine Bear.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
The Last Voyage of the Demeter, which is...
a prequel to Stoker's Dracula.
Dungeons & Dragons. I couldn't care less about it but my gaming group wants to see it.
Super Mario Brothers. Taking my niece.
Oppenheimer.
The Flash, just for Keaton's Batman.
Dune Part 2.

What are you looking forward to?
No offense, but this is a sad list of movies

Looking at the list to July and watching a few trailers, here are some that look interesting to me:

Missing
Knock at the Cabin
Ant Man and The Wasp
Jesus Revolution
John Wick 4
Guardians 3
The Flash
Asteroid city-Maybe
Indy 5
Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning
Oppenheimer
The Marvels-Maybe

No movie could or will ever compel me to head out to a theater to watch it. I’m perfectly content to wait for them to hit cable or streaming service and watch from my TV at home.
I understand what you're saying as I have about as good of a setup at home as you can get, but I still love going to the movies. Yes, without fail, the last person that comes in just before the movie starts will sit down right in front of me, but I guess that's part of it and besides, nowadays with the bigger reclining seats and such it doesn't really matter.

For the movies I most look forward to I will always go to the movies. JW4... you better believe I will see that in IMAX.

I understand what you're saying as I have about as good of a setup at home as you can get, but I still love going to the movies. Yes, without fail, the last person that comes in just before the movie starts will sit down right in front of me, but I guess that's part of it and besides, nowadays with the bigger reclining seats and such it doesn't really matter.

For the movies I most look forward to I will always go to the movies. JW4... you better believe I will see that in IMAX.
Yea it has to be a real blockbuster for me to want to go to the movies, but the reclining seats and more room makes it worthwhile. Probably only go 4-6 times a year, but if it's a big one, I will go. Not going to the theater to see 80 for brady, but I will be there for Dune 2.

Reactions: J_Dee and LOL_Man
I thought Dune I was pretty close to the books. I especially liked the "thopter" design and FX. But I was watching it, then it stopped, and I was sooo pissed how they just broke it off.

Firet things first.. I'll repeat my choice from another thread, but Christian Bale in the Pale Blue Eye.

I hear its pretty solid. Characters are great, atmosphere is great.. story is a little hit ot miss.

Reactions: J_Dee and JDHoss
No movie could or will ever compel me to head out to a theater to watch it. I’m perfectly content to wait for them to hit cable or streaming service and watch from my TV at home.
Yeah, unless it's just something visually stunning that needs to be seen on the big screen.

Firet things first.. I'll repeat my choice from another thread, but Christian Bale in the Pale Blue Eye.

I hear its pretty solid. Characters are great, atmosphere is great.. story is a little hit ot miss.
I thought that movie was just awful. The EAP character was just too unlikable. Almost unwatchable. Bale is solid but I couldn't get past that one character. Sunk the whole movie for me. Also suffered from trying too hard on plot twists especially at the end. Was the EAP character the same guy that played the yellow freak in Sin City because he certainly reminded me of him?

Last edited:
I'm a comedy guy and movies are horrible now n days. I'm naturally funny so I make my own entertainment.. of course it's usually at someone else expense. Gotta stay laughing its good for the soul.

Reactions: gobigbluebell
I thought that movie was just awful. The EAP character was just too unlikable. Almost unwatchable. Bale is solid but I couldn't get past that one character. Sunk the whole movie for me. Also suffered from trying too hard on plot twists especially at the end. Was the EAP character the same guy that played the yellow freak in Sin City because he certainly reminded me of him?
The Edgar Allen Poe actor was Harry Melling. He is best known for being Harry Potter's spoiled cousin Dudley Dursley in the movie series. He was not in Sin City.

Reactions: LOL_Man
I'm a comedy guy and movies are horrible now n days. I'm naturally funny so I make my own entertainment.. of course it's usually at someone else expense. Gotta stay laughing its good for the soul.

BlazinSaddles is on Tubi, uncut and uncensored!!'

My son pre-purchased he and I tickets to Ant Man for next month.

John Wick 4 is what I'm waiting for, along with MI2 and Guardians.

Reactions: LOL_Man

I love going too. But I swear I run into someone ruining my time while I’m there….every time. Last week I saw M3gan and somebody upfront had their text notifications set to flash lights every time they received a text. Bothered me more than it should have but how the f*** can you go into a theater like that? I was basically in the opposite end of the theater and their lights would reflect off the screen.

• Angry
I’m looking forward to the new David Fincher film on Netflix. I don’t trust Netflix movies but it’s David Fincher. He’s 1 of 3 or 4 directors I’ll watch anything they put out.

If I can tear myself away from watching this Murdaugh trial today I’m going to see Infinity Pool this afternoon

Well I was planning on seeing Infinity Pool this evening, but the lame local theater isn't showing it.

Infinity Pool was pretty good. Enough twists, turns, violence and sex to keep one interested along with a nice pace. Left open the possibility of a sequel, which seems to be the going thing this year for movies.

I ended up only seeing four movies released in '23 -- D&D: Honor Among Thieves, TMNT: Mutant Mayhem, Super Mario Bros., and Oppenheimer. I don't much care for first three, but IMHO that trio's great for most of their target audiences (gamers and/or kids), which is all that matters.

I'm seeing Godzilla Minus One on Sunday, and I'll eventually watch Infinity Pool, Barbie, and a few other 2023 movies, but I'm skipping some that I mentioned earlier -- The Flash (I've seen the few scenes that I was interested in), Cocaine Bear, and The Last Voyage.

So what are y'all's favorite movies that were released this year?

Need to go torrent some of the new releases:

-Oppenheimer
-The Holdovers
-Killers of the Flower Moon
-Banshees of Innersherin.
-Air

I saw the following movies in the theater this yesr

Cocaine Bear
Oppenheimer
Indiana jones and the dial of destiny
Killers of the flower moon
Saw X
Super Mario Brothers

2 of those were worth the effort of driving to the theater

Dude… if you’re spending money to see Cocaine Bear…

Snakes on a Plane thinks Cocaine Bear is try-hard, omg how random, spork!

Actually saw more movies at the theater this year than i have in quite some time...

Missing (wife and daughter wanted to see it...turned out to be a pretty good flick)
Spider-Man: Across the SpiderVerse (i'm not a dc or marvel lover, not even a liker, but we went with another family...might have been the worst movie i've seen in years...felt every bit of the 2hrs and 20mins and more)
Oppenheimer (really good movie)
Sound of Freedom (good, thought provoking movie)
Equalizer 3 (love pretty much anything from Denzel and this is no exception)
Hunger Games: The Ballad... (not bad, at all...didn't feel like a 2.5+hr movie)

A few others i would've liked to have seen, and still haven't, but will have to catch on Prime, Netflix or somewhere else...
John Wick 4
The Covenant
Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Pt 1
Air
Retribution
Napoleon (might still see)

Have seen a couple others, but not at the theater...
Extraction 2
The Killer

This was not a good movie year imo. Oppenheimer is probably film of the year for me though.

Thanksgiving was a fun little slasher.
The Killer was fine as a one time watch. I do really like Fassbender though.
The Pope's Exorcist was very forgettable.
Infinity Pool was great but won't be everyone's taste.
Air was good but I'll never watch again.
The Last Voyage of the Demeter was a cool concept but again, maybe a one time watch.
Dead Reckoning was very good but it's insane that a "part 1" is 164 minutes.
Renfield was sorta fun. One time watch though.
Evil Dead Rise was okay. I'll stick with the original trilogy and the remake.
Cocaine Bear was awful. Yes, I said awful.
John Wick: Chapter 4 was very good but too long and I don't like the trickery at the end since we're getting more Wick films.
Scream VI - No. Stop all these new Scream films.

Want to see Killers of the Flower Moon but it's a big ask to get someone who loves sports to find the time for a four hour dramatic epic.

If you like horror, A24, and Robert Eggers (The Witch, The Lighthouse, The Northman), he just wrapped his version of Nosferatu, coming Christmas Day 2024. He's 3 for 3 for me so far.

This was not a good movie year imo. Oppenheimer is probably film of the year for me though.

Thanksgiving was a fun little slasher.
The Killer was fine as a one time watch. I do really like Fassbender though.
The Pope's Exorcist was very forgettable.
Infinity Pool was great but won't be everyone's taste.
Air was good but I'll never watch again.
The Last Voyage of the Demeter was a cool concept but again, maybe a one time watch.
Dead Reckoning was very good but it's insane that a "part 1" is 164 minutes.
Renfield was sorta fun. One time watch though.
Evil Dead Rise was okay. I'll stick with the original trilogy and the remake.
Cocaine Bear was awful. Yes, I said awful.
John Wick: Chapter 4 was very good but too long and I don't like the trickery at the end since we're getting more Wick films.
Scream VI - No. Stop all these new Scream films.

Want to see Killers of the Flower Moon but it's a big ask to get someone who loves sports to find the time for a four hour dramatic epic.

If you like horror, A24, and Robert Eggers (The Witch, The Lighthouse, The Northman), he just wrapped his version of Nosferatu, coming Christmas Day 2024. He's 3 for 3 for me so far.
Agree on what you've listed from what I've seen. Oppenheimer, Thanksgiving, the killer, infinity pool, air, evil dead.

Really liked Killers of the flower moon, tho it's from a different perspective from the book.

Saw the new Saw- they need to stop

new Exorcist- meh, was something to pass time.
Same with The Nun 2

Curious about Napoleon and Equalizer 3.

Was unaware of new Robert Eggers. Is this one big budget? Liked all his stuff, northman was his first with some $$$ behind it.

ADVERTISEMENT