ADVERTISEMENT

Most Under-Appreciated Players in UK History

Travis Graf

Jul 14, 2017
From the recent years I can think of 2 that stand out in Brandon Knight and Julius Randle. We all know how good they were, but they don't necessarily get the praise that they deserve compared to others who played their positions.

Nobody really talks about how good Keith Bogans was either when discussing all-time UK players.

In cals era it's Julius Randle. There is a thread from last season where I was blown away. Seemed Half the board or more put Bam ahead of Randle for Cals best bigs at UK. Still can't believe it. Like no one is watching the same game.
Randle was arguably the best COLLEGE big besides Davis that we've had. In college I think that our best bigs were AD, Randle then T. Jones. Randle consistently gave us 16 &10 a night and made it look easy.

Randle was arguably the best COLLEGE big besides Davis that we've had. In college I think that our best bigs were AD, Randle then T. Jones. Randle consistently gave us 16 &10 a night and made it look easy.

While being triple teamed and fouled more than any olayer in recent memory.

Hell, most of the time a double team wasn't enough to stop him. There's literally no comparison between Bam and Randle.

Randle is also the most fouled big man in the Cal era. If they couldn't stop him they'd just dare the officials to foul out their entire front court, which they never did.

Had Randle played 4 years, there is a NPOY in there somewhere.

Allen Edwards, Heshimu Evans & Eloy Vargas are the three that come to mind the last 25 years or so. Edwards would have been a starter probably anywhere else in the country but he backed up Anthony Epps and Wayne Turner for his career at UK.

Heshimu Evans is the guy who didn't do anything great but did a lot of things pretty well. He was an important part of the 1998 title team, yet we remember Turner
leading us, Mills hitting the famous shot (first three in the game for him) as well as Padgett's three where he then turned around and ran down the court. Not to mention Jeff Sheppard dunking on the entire country that year. But Mu was a strong contributor who never gets mentioned when discussing that championship team.

The number of times I've wished we had a player like Eloy since our title team, I can't even count. Just a reliable big guy who can stand in there and let our star big man (Randle, WCS, Nerlens, Towns, Skal, Bam) get some rest. A PF/C with size who won't set us back and might actually contribute some. Not pick up stupid fouls or allow a bunch of offensive rebounds. This is why I selfishly wanted Humph to stick around because, while he's not as good as Eloy was (not yet at least), he had that same game, same size and served the same purpose.

I'd say Keith Bogans. He was 4th all-time in scoring and was SEC POY & an All-American his senior season. Had a 10+ season NBA career on top of those other feats.

Tayshaun/Chuck always gets the love from those Tubby years, but Bogans never really gets the love he deserves considering his numbers put him as one of the best performing players in the blue and white.

I'd say Keith Bogans. He was 4th all-time in scoring and was SEC POY & an All-American his senior season. Had a 10+ season NBA career on top of those other feats.

Tayshaun/Chuck always gets the love from those Tubby years, but Bogans never really gets the love he deserves considering his numbers put him as one of the best performing players in the blue and white.
Bogans, most definitely. I think that junior slump really hurt him in this department (2002 Team Turmoil year). I'll go out on a limb and say Estill. Dude was awesome, even with bad wheels.

From the recent years I can think of 2 that stand out in Brandon Knight and Julius Randle. We all know how good they were, but they don't necessarily get the praise that they deserve compared to others who played their positions.

Nobody really talks about how good Keith Bogans was either when discussing all-time UK players.
Very, very true. I think Bogans is in the top 5 of All-time scoring at UK. One of my personal favorites over the years.

Enes Kanter gets more love for helping a team in practice than Randle gets for taking a beating everynight to a title game.

Tbought I'd add that for a like.
Mind boggling, isn't it?! I think fans need to go back and re-watch that 2014 tournament. Randle was the best player in the country in March and there was no close second. Best college player in that class, IMO. Better than Wiggins and Parker.

Mind boggling, isn't it?! I think fans need to go back and re-watch that 2014 tournament. Randle was the best player in the country in March and there was no close second. Best college player in that class, IMO. Better than Wiggins and Parker.
[thumb2]

Totally agree. Wouldn't have traded him for either.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Doron lamb, if we would of signed will Barton in 2010 that would of left doron lamb probably going to uconn or kansas that year and we would of never had lamb's final four experience or near automatic shooting on the 2012 title team..
Lamb was my first thought, as well. He didn't get nearly the attention that AD, MKG and TJ got, but he was absolutely deadly. My favorite player on the team, personally, and that is said with all respect to AD, MKG, et al. I loved them all, but Lamb was my man.

Has to be Doron Lamb during the Cal era. Kid was nails in the '11 tournament and was our best player in the national championship game in '12.

Yet he's overshadowed by about 15 other guys.

Cant believe no one mentioned Teague, even in posts about that title team no mentioned him. Dude ran the hardest position to play under Cal and led us to a title. Hard to believe no other Cal point guard ever can say that given the list of guys hes coached.

Rob "Flop" Lock
Reggie Hanson
Deron Feldhaus
Jeff Brassow
Rodney Dent
Desmond Allison (R.I.P. :cry:)
Antwain Barbour
Marquis Estill
Ravi Moss
Dale Brown
Julius Mays

Last edited: