ADVERTISEMENT

Most overrated pizza in the USA?

-chicago style pizza is something you do once a year for one meal when you are *in* Chicago. Best for lunch as there are too many good places to eat dinner in Chicago. It's a novelty.

-also, pizza is like *****. Even when it's bad it's still pretty good.

I got a thin crust Little Caesar last week, was surprised it was good. Then again I just got done with a 13 hour trip and I eat light when travelling.

Last time I had Old Chicago Pizza in Hamburg, it's wasn't very good for an over $20 pie.

No mention for Snappy's Tomato Pizza? I need to go to the bathroom just thinking about it.

Also, Bearno's is pretty terrible.

Little Ceasars.
It's cheap for a reason.
The hot and ready, well my kids like it but they're 6 and 8. Anywhere else is better

Not sure anyone can accurately gauge a chain based on a single location.

I loved Papa Johns when they first opened in Bowling Green when I was in college (89 or 90). I don't eat it (PJ's) often now, maybe once a year. Still like it, although now I prefer the mom&pop type places.

Here is how I would rank the chains (best to worst), but I got these from a 100 biggest chains list:

Brixx Wood-fired Pizza
Uno
Papa John's
Pizza Hut is tasty, but greasy.
Blaze, another nice concept (fastfood, your-way, single-serving pizza), and it is pretty decent.
California Pizza Kitchen
Giovanni's (based out of Ashland)
Domino's is ok.
Jet's is ok.
Hungry Howie's is ok.
Papa Murphy's, cool spin concept-wise, although I can't say I'm a fan.
Little Caesar's, can be ok, can be crappy.
Mellow Mushroom, I have to agree with the earlier poster, this may the most overrated pizza there is.
CiCi's, if you can get over it's a nasty buffet, it's not horrible, just bad
Sbarro, always looks much better than it tastes
Donatos, no not dominos, donatos, is the best chain. Think theres only 2 in lex.

Reactions: Hankshaker
More on Blaze: 8+ bucks for a “build your own” with the generic pan crust (air thin) and then about 2 bucks for a fountain drink (they have “edgy” tea flavors) and there you go. Their customer service at the BG location has been really good though. Can’t complain about that. But it’s just not very good pizza imo.

I don't think anything universally regarded as mediocre can be considered overrated, which eliminates most of the major pizza chains. PJ, PH, Domino's, etc are all fine for what they are.

I'll go with Puccini's. I've got lots of friends that love it, I find it very meh.
Lexington pizza I rank

1. Joe B''s
2. Puccini''s

You have poor taste

I know this is not a chain, but digiornos pizza is pure shit. By far the worst overpriced, overrated pizza at the store. The crust blows. It doesn't hold a candle to homerun in. It would be similar to tasting the bath water of Rosie O'Donnell.

People in my town act like Mellow Mushroom cures puppy cancer. In truth, it takes forever and it is not as good as Dominos. But, hey - you're eating at the place to eat, so you've got that going for you.

You are right about the new(ish) MM here in town. Cool location but service is spotty and they constantly burn the crust. Give me JBella's, Pizza by the Pound, or Italian Grille any day over MM.

Blaze is way overrated and overpriced. 50+ bucks for a family of 4 to enjoy their own thin crust, party style pizza that tastes like cardboard? No thanks, LeBron.

$50? I think ours are like $6-7 each. So even with drinks 4 can eat for $30-35.

-Chicago style pizza is ridiculously overrated. #1. It's not even close to pizza. #2. It's not that good even if you don't consider it pizza.

-In Lex: Joe B's is overrated. Has to be pure nostalgia with that place.

-Slightly off topic, but how can you hate a Hot-N-Ready? It's the cheapest, best, worst pizza out there. By far the best hungover road trip food.

-In Lex right now I'm going Goodfellas as the clear #1 and Rolling Oven #2.

-Louisville, North End Slice. Perfection as far s I'm concerned.

Is The UK Official Team Pizza "HUNTS" overrated? Never had it. Must be good to be UK sponsor? The little gas station near me has signs up for FREE TOPPINGS ON HUNT PIZZAS!!!! Pretty amazing deal if true.

I think Hunts also makes a second ass rate "ketchup".

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks again, Mitch!

I think the answer is Blaze Pizza given all the hype...most people on here think Papa Johns isn’t great to begin with so it’s hard to call it “overrated” when most people think it’s awful in the first place.

You are right about the new(ish) MM here in town. Cool location but service is spotty and they constantly burn the crust. Give me JBella's, Pizza by the Pound, or Italian Grille any day over MM.
Guess I didn't remember you were from here.

Parking is for shit too.

I like Pizza Warehouse's gyro pizza, but their service is iffy.

The Pound is probably #1 to me. I don't do the others enough to have an opinion.

NYC folk looking at this thread like..

4jMaX_s-200x150.gif

A billion places to eat delicious pizza, not a single one overrated.. Aside from Sbarro's in Times Square maybe.. and even that's better than 90% of what the rest of the country offers.

People in my town act like Mellow Mushroom cures puppy cancer. In truth, it takes forever and it is not as good as Dominos. But, hey - you're eating at the place to eat, so you've got that going for you.

I was going to mention mellow mushroom. I’ve had that damn place 3 different times and still have no idea what people love about it. I had different pizzas each time and honestly the experience was just fine. Nothing crazy happened and the service was ok too. I just did NOT think the pizza was good. I guess it’s just my personal preference of taste but I have no desire to eat there again.

Mellow Mushroom for me. I liked the menu but it didn't deliver. I thought it was bland.

Worst major frozen brand is Red Barron.

Worst in every category is the frozen house brand from Save A Lot. I picked one up just to try one night because I was feeling lazy (and really, really cheap). Absolutely inedible.

I really prefer independent pizza joints if anyone has any recommendations. My own rec is Buddy's in Frankfort. Damn good pie.

Hunt's can never be overrated. They sell it in gas stations for touch sake. It's bad, but you know it's bad.

Little C's answers are from ignoramuses. Goodness, it's a $5 large pizza and still better than ish like Pizza Hut...which is the answer. The fact that it's the largest chain in the country is proof of our deterioration as a country

NYC folk looking at this thread like..

4jMaX_s-200x150.gif

A billion places to eat delicious pizza, not a single one overrated.. Aside from Sbarro's in Times Square maybe.. and even that's better than 90% of what the rest of the country offers.
ProTip:

Not even with doors open, UNA on Orchard Street (LES) will be the new hotness when it opens next Monday. Pizza-heaven.

Put it on the the pilgrimage for Seton Hall game-goers.

ProTip:

Not even with doors open, UNA on Orchard Street (LES) will be the new hotness when it opens next Monday. Pizza-heaven.

Put it on the the pilgrimage for Seton Hall game-goers.

There's always a new place popping up. But Seton Hall isn't that close to there (but may be the best team in the metro area, sadly)

I still gotta go to Kornet's up by Columbia

17640360_59984cccc8.jpg

@Mashburned Oh, and they serve it just like that at 3:00am. Don't know if I've ever been there any other time, actually.

But it's still New York.. and Columbia students?.. barf city. Take the good with the bad, I guess.

Reactions: Mashburned
ADVERTISEMENT