ADVERTISEMENT

Most overrated pizza in the USA?

fdctiq4gwfvz.gif

Is chain pizza overrated? I feel like most people are ok with cheap, convenient pizza in a pinch.

I will get hammered for this, but I’m going for it. This is the king of overrated pizza imo. People wait over an hour for this shit...

images

Regarding PJ's pizza, I don't order it very often but when I do I have to tell them light on the sauce. They put too much of it on there IMO.

Reactions: augustaky1
Is chain pizza overrated? I feel like most people are ok with cheap, convenient pizza in a pinch.

I will get hammered for this, but I’m going for it. This is the king of overrated pizza imo. People wait over an hour for this shit...

images
It is shit. Don’t worry.

Outside the radius garbage.

Last edited:
I agree with others on PJ. This sounds crazy but the few times I have tried PJ's pizzas they seem to have sort of a dishwater smell and taste do them. Really didn't like them. Pizza Hut is decent for a chain but I think they are a bit over priced.

Reactions: darkshadesofblue
People in my town act like Mellow Mushroom cures puppy cancer. In truth, it takes forever and it is not as good as Dominos. But, hey - you're eating at the place to eat, so you've got that going for you.

Reactions: GhostVol

images
This is literally the best chain pizza in the USA.

Have you even had it?

Reactions: HUBER
Not sure anyone can accurately gauge a chain based on a single location.

I loved Papa Johns when they first opened in Bowling Green when I was in college (89 or 90). I don't eat it (PJ's) often now, maybe once a year. Still like it, although now I prefer the mom&pop type places.

Here is how I would rank the chains (best to worst), but I got these from a 100 biggest chains list:

Brixx Wood-fired Pizza
Uno
Papa John's
Pizza Hut is tasty, but greasy.
Blaze, another nice concept (fastfood, your-way, single-serving pizza), and it is pretty decent.
California Pizza Kitchen
Giovanni's (based out of Ashland)
Domino's is ok.
Jet's is ok.
Hungry Howie's is ok.
Papa Murphy's, cool spin concept-wise, although I can't say I'm a fan.
Little Caesar's, can be ok, can be crappy.
Mellow Mushroom, I have to agree with the earlier poster, this may the most overrated pizza there is.
CiCi's, if you can get over it's a nasty buffet, it's not horrible, just bad
Sbarro, always looks much better than it tastes

Papa John’s is a fine hand tossed pizza. They do use too much sauce like an earlier poster said, but it’s pretty good. Domino’s is the best of the big 3 delivery chains though imo. When they redid everything 3 or 4 years ago they did a good job. Pizza Hut is garbage. Around Louisville I would say Wicks and Impellizari’s are extremely overrated. The only thing good is the amount of toppings, but the sauce is so pasty it always bothers my belly.

When you get down to it though pizza is about the crust, if you like the crust you will like the pizza.

My favorite restaurant period is the New Albanian Pizza Company in New Albany. They make fantastic hand tossed and Detroit style pizza’s (my favorite kind) and they are the best brewery within 100 miles of Louisville. If you make the best beer and you make the best pizza you win best restaurant imo.

Another vote for Papa Johns. Soggy crust, bad toppings, acid reflux sauce, moron as owner.

And, as far as chains go, Dominoes has stepped their game up over the last 5 years. It went from inedible garbage to the best of the low-end chain pizza.

I don't have much of an opinion on the "fancier" pizza options because I'll be damned if I'm paying $25 for a single pizza.

I don't think anything universally regarded as mediocre can be considered overrated, which eliminates most of the major pizza chains. PJ, PH, Domino's, etc are all fine for what they are.

I'll go with Puccini's. I've got lots of friends that love it, I find it very meh.

I can convince myself any pizza tastes good because I just love Pizza but Mellow Mushroom by far. Not that it’s bad, but because it is extremely overpriced.

Mr Gatti’s buffet was the bomb in HS and College. Would tear it up even though it did not taste that great.

ADVERTISEMENT