ADVERTISEMENT

Most overrated bands/artists

This may be the craziest take I've ever seen. Zeppelin music doesn't hold up to the ages?? Are you serious? So why do people still listen to their music religiously nearly 50 years later? You can walk into nearly any high school/junior high school and see kids wearing Zeppelin shirts to this day. But their music doesn't stand the ages? Haha ok dude. Led Zeppelin is the GOAT. And Page as the third best guitarist in the yardbirds? While I agree Clapton was a better overall musician, Page takes the cake as far as best guitarist. Not even really that close IMO.

Negative opinions about the Beatles and Dylan is a good litmus test for ignorance.

Yes, that AIC video is embarrassing, but tell me Facelift, Sap and Jar of Flies aren't awesome albums.

Truth is, none of the "grunge" bands sounded the same. It was all media created. Nirvana was punk/pop, Pearl Jam was more classic/arena rock, AIC was rock/metal...etc. None of them liked the label, they all just considered themselves Rock and Roll bands.

I like them all (though probably PJ the least) but maybe I'm too protective of the sounds I grew up with.

If not for drugs, Bob Dylan would never have sold one record. Plus, he's an epic prick...doesn't speak to his kids and recently called out Merle Haggard for no reason. F him

If not for drugs, Bob Dylan would never have sold one record. Plus, he's an epic prick...doesn't speak to his kids and recently called out Merle Haggard for no reason. F him
Wow, that's the dumbest thing I've ever read. I mean IQ of 60-70 bad.

Ok, dumbass, the guy changed the culture, the history, the music of his time multiple times and is considered by almost everyone as top 3 most influential artists of the 20th century. He inspired 100s of 1000s of bands, whose musical influenced pretty much every artist in the 60s and 70s, and whose poetry would change a generation. Ivy League colleges have whole classes dedicated to explaining his influence.

Yet, drugs is your reply.

Last edited:
This may be the craziest take I've ever seen. Zeppelin music doesn't hold up to the ages?? Are you serious? So why do people still listen to their music religiously nearly 50 years later? You can walk into nearly any high school/junior high school and see kids wearing Zeppelin shirts to this day. But their music doesn't stand the ages? Haha ok dude. Led Zeppelin is the GOAT. And Page as the third best guitarist in the yardbirds? While I agree Clapton was a better overall musician, Page takes the cake as far as best guitarist. Not even really that close IMO.
Jimmy Page couldn't hold Jeff Beck's guitar pick and Clapton were all Yardbirds guitarists there.

Led does not hold up, sorry fun music but you nailed, I loved AC DC and Led in High School. Honestly not very good just as I said. Jimmy Page was more show than substance, I enjoy hearing for what they are, not great musicianship, good high energy type stuff.

The Who and Led are the group everyone thinks they should like to be cool. Fun music, more High school love than older. Sorry.

Calling a spade a spade. Didn't mean to ruffle your g-string.

you really seem insecure or confused about something

did bowie pretend to be a tough guy, like sinatra?

(i will admit i do think that corny prick and his archaic stylized masculinity are overrated. all the onstage jokes about drinking--you're 45 years old, hoss. your drinking isn't shocking to anyone)

Reactions: DaBossIsBack
Crazy, not sure it was for no reason. You listen to Bob's show or when it first came out, he played a ton of Merle's songs. The Nashville scene in 69 was not that kind to Bob, a lot of the big stars of that era including Merle and Tom T Hall who he also called out. They were not real big fans of his or his songs, mostly they did not understand him or his songs. He was not a protester, he was not civil rights type guy who marched, he was not politically active. His songs had civil rights in them like Blowing in the Wind or My Back Pages. He did not have a cause per say. It simply made the Left Wing/ Chicago 7 type guys furious. They knew he must be a lefty and why will he not come out and protest etc. Bob is interesting guy. I am not sure about family relationships.
Dylan revolutionized Rock and Roll when he went Electric, it was the Chuck Berry/ Little Richard Moment that influenced Beatles-stones, Dylan influenced everyone that came after and were his contemporaries. The Beatles were writing about I want to Hold your Hand and 8 Days a week. HWY 61 revisited was groundbreaker.
Bands wrote their own songs, wrote their feelings, Bruce, U2, everyone was influenced by Dylan going forward.

Tom T and apparently Merle made comments back then that Dylan was told about, maybe true maybe not. Kris Kristofferson and Johny Cash were all applauded by Bob.

Reactions: wild mandu
Who cares what they started as? Pantera was a glam band also. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the dorks in Pearl Jam wore spandex and eye liner in the 80's. Bottom line, they ended up kicking Pearl Jam and Nirvana in their manginas.
Some of the guys in Pearl Jam probably did wear spandex. They were an extension of Mother Love Bone which I feel was essentially cock rock. You sound like a metal guy though which is why you probably gravitate toward AIC. Nirvana, like the Melvins, TAD, Mudhoney, were much more punk influenced. Comparing AIC to Nirvana, in my opinion, is like comparing apples to oranges. Two different philosophies. I like a few AIC songs. I just don't like their sound or approach. Pixies is my favorite band of all time so naturally I gravitate toward Nirvana.

Some of the guys in Pearl Jam probably did wear spandex. They were an extension of Mother Love Bone which I feel was essentially cock rock. You sound like a metal guy though which is why you probably gravitate toward AIC. Nirvana, like the Melvins, TAD, Mudhoney, were much more punk influenced. Comparing AIC to Nirvana, in my opinion, is like comparing apples to oranges. Two different philosophies. I like a few AIC songs. I just don't like their sound or approach. Pixies is my favorite band of all time so naturally I gravitate toward Nirvana.

Good take, but as much as I admire the Pixies, I'll match the Clash AND the Smiths up with them. And kudos for bringing up Mother Love Bone...that wild bunch should be in the Underrated thread but Andrew Wood's passing crushed their potential.

so it appears that basically every music artist that ever lived has been covered in this thread.

So we can only come to the conclusion that all music sucks, no? Thus the Paddock sayeth?

There was a small music store in Rockford, Illinois, wish I could remember the name, but it had a sign over the door that said "Music: everything you like sucks."

Whenever discussions like this come up, I always think of that sign I saw as a kid.

Good take, but as much as I admire the Pixies, I'll match the Clash AND the Smiths up with them. And kudos for bringing up Mother Love Bone...that wild bunch should be in the Underrated thread but Andrew Wood's passing crushed their potential.
Love The Smiths. I like The Clash but don't love them. London Calling is an iconic and important work but I just didn't fall in love with it. Still a great band though. MLB was a solid band but again not my cup of tea.

Reactions: GhostVol
It seems like we have a lot of opinions on what people deem as overrated bands or artists based on their own preference in music. Many people listed bands like The Beatles, Pink Floyd and Rush but really like artists like Dr Dre or Eminem because they are into that type of music and not the other.

I am in the opposite on this. I love Rush and Pink Floyd. They are great musicians who wrote a lot of great songs that have stood the test of time. That is my personal preference. If some people don't like it, that's their opinion. I don't like rap or hip hop. It all sounds the same to me. But that's my own opinion.

Rant over.

Reactions: FusterCluck
It seems like we have a lot of opinions on what people deem as overrated bands or artists based on their own preference in music. Many people listed bands like The Beatles, Pink Floyd and Rush but really like artists like Dr Dre or Eminem because they are into that type of music and not the other.

I am in the opposite on this. I love Rush and Pink Floyd. They are great musicians who wrote a lot of great songs that have stood the test of time. That is my personal preference. If some people don't like it, that's their opinion. I don't like rap or hip hop. It all sounds the same to me. But that's my own opinion.

Rant over.
That's cool. I'm blessed in that I'm a fan of Music. I'll listen to Dre today, and wake up tomorrow and play 'Tom Sawyer" on my way to work. Matter of fact, this just popped up in my head...how many 55 yr old black guys will admit to listening to Marilyn Manson??????

Love The Smiths. I like The Clash but don't love them. London Calling is an iconic and important work but I just didn't fall in love with it. Still a great band though. MLB was a solid band but again not my cup of tea.

My second favorite B-side of all time next to Sly & The Family Stone's "Everybody Is A Star"

What is most interesting about this thread is how people are downing certain bands or genres of music but most are not listing the bands or artists that they do like. If you don't like Zeppelin, The Who or Nirvana that's okay. But just saying that they suck without telling us who you think doesn't suck is meaningless.

I'm 56 years old and grew up on 60's, 70's and 80's rock and roll. I think almost all newer music sucks but I do like bands like The Killers, Weezer, AFI, Green Day etc. It is all just a matter of opinion.

The Beatles crowd just kills me. They yap about how "influential" the Beatles were without even understanding the true nature of exactly what is influential to musicians instead of pimply faced teens clinging to their album covers because they're too damned ugly to go out and so much of a band nerd that they actually dupe themselves into thinking Paul McCartney is telling them subliminally to pick the clarinet. Oh, the BEATLES are so "influential."

Puke. What a joke.

You know what music/artist exemplifies true MUSICAL influence over other actual artists and who's patented beat still echoes in everything from U2 to Bananarama and that has influenced virtually every guitar player born post 1955? No, not Jimi Hendrix (although that would be a helluva lot better pick that the Beatles)? Well here is a hint and note this is probably the greatest single live performance in the history of music that everyone from Tom Petty to Ace Frehley admits directly influence them picking up a guitar:

Bo Diddley is the most influential artist of last century. His beat is still widely copied and used across the music industry. His style has been copied by every guitar player that is alive today. There is nobody that actually is credited more with actually influencing musicians than Bo Diddley is. Nobody. Variations of the Bo Diddley beat will still be used 100 years from now. If you actually know a real musician ask them who is more influential. The Beatles are for smarmy know-nothings that talk about what a great picture "Avatar" was and that hung out after band practice trying to recruit members for their horrible garage band.

Shut up about the Beatles. Learn the truth. Stop being a nerd. Nobody that actually knows how to play music gives two flips about the Beatles they just genuflect as a nod to the frothing masses. Nobody on earth ever picked up a guitar because of the Beatles. Michael Jackson doesn't moonwalk because of the Beatles (watch Bo moonwalk with the guitar in the above clip 20 years before MJ ever dreamed of it). Band nerds don't count. Nobody cares who influenced you to drink your first Pabst Blue Ribbon and watch Heavy Metal with your little trumbone. Learn the game, fools.

You will be stunned if you knew the number of songs to this day that still use a beat that Bo Diddley invented. The Beatles shrink to cowering indifference to the giant shadow Bo Friggen Diddley casts over the music industry. A real titan that you chumps probably don't even realize existed.

The Beatles crowd just kills me. They yap about how "influential" the Beatles were without even understanding the true nature of exactly what is influential to musicians instead of pimply faced teens clinging to their album covers because they're too damned ugly to go out and so much of a band nerd that they actually dupe themselves into thinking Paul McCartney is telling them subliminally to pick the clarinet. Oh, the BEATLES are so "influential."

Puke. What a joke.

You know what music/artist exemplifies true MUSICAL influence over other actual artists and who's patented beat still echoes in everything from U2 to Bananarama and that has influenced virtually every guitar player born post 1955? No, not Jimi Hendrix (although that would be a helluva lot better pick that the Beatles)? Well here is a hint and note this is probably the greatest single live performance in the history of music that everyone from Tom Petty to Ace Frehley admits directly influence them picking up a guitar:

Bo Diddley is the most influential artist of last century. His beat is still widely copied and used across the music industry. His style has been copied by every guitar player that is alive today. There is nobody that actually is credited more with actually influencing musicians than Bo Diddley is. Nobody. Variations of the Bo Diddley beat will still be used 100 years from now. If you actually know a real musician ask them who is more influential. The Beatles are for smarmy know-nothings that talk about what a great picture "Avatar" was and that hung out after band practice trying to recruit members for their horrible garage band.

Shut up about the Beatles. Learn the truth. Stop being a nerd. Nobody that actually knows how to play music gives two flips about the Beatles they just genuflect as a nod to the frothing masses. Nobody on earth ever picked up a guitar because of the Beatles. Michael Jackson doesn't moonwalk because of the Beatles (watch Bo moonwalk with the guitar in the above clip 20 years before MJ ever dreamed of it). Band nerds don't count. Nobody cares who influenced you to drink your first Pabst Blue Ribbon and watch Heavy Metal with your little trumbone. Learn the game, fools.

You will be stunned if you knew the number of songs to this day that still use a beat that Bo Diddley invented. The Beatles shrink to cowering indifference to the giant shadow Bo Friggen Diddley casts over the music industry. A real titan that you chumps probably don't even realize existed.

The poll was for band. No doubt that Bo Diddley was up there. He was not the most influential or more influential than Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, T Bone Walker, Robert Johnson, Ray Charles, and BB and Freddie King, Albert King.
Bo Diddley was the most influential guy to Everly Brothers and Buddy Holley,
Bo was as influential as Chuck Berry and Little Richard, Bo added the rhythmic African sound to the Blues.
No doubt Bo Diddley was awesome.

Reactions: Supreme Lord Z
I realize it was for bands but the Beatles crowd with their tired idiotic talk about how "influential" they were is nutty but then again so are your claims.

Here's a few quotes about Bo but you literally cannot find a musician that was not impacted by him if they have a guitar anywhere near them:

George Thorogood: "No artist has fascinated me more than Bo Diddley. When I got into his stuff, everybody in 1967 was listening to two monumental rock history albums -- one was (Jimi Hendrix's) 'Are You Experienced?,' the other was (the Beatles') 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.' But I had this album, Bo Diddley's '16 All-Time Greatest Hits.' I'd go to Wildwood, New Jersey, and buy maracas by the pound because I was fascinated with this sound and this thing that was Bo Diddley. This was before I got into John Lee Hooker, and I was amazed by the sound of this guy who sat on one chord, maybe two. But, like James Brown, he could do one chord for 15 minutes and it never gets boring. That's where I learned my whole routine from. I mean, what is 'Bad to the Bone' except, really, Bo Diddley?"

Todd Snider: "There are four important things about Bo Diddley that I hope everybody knows. The first, of course, is that he invented a beat. Second, and less known, his song 'Bo Diddley' was a first in that his name was the title and chorus which, in my opinion, makes him one of the inventors of rap. Third, three months before Elvis Presley played (on) Ed Sullivan, Bo Diddley did. He was told to play a different song than 'Bo Diddley' and said he would, but when the cameras rolled he played 'Bo Diddley,' thus inventing rock 'n' roll's attitude. Fourth and most important, he was so sexy that he told Arlene he had a chimney made out of human skulls -- and she still went for a walk with him."

Billy Corgan (the Smashing Pumpkins): "What he really did was bring a rock 'n' roll attitude to rhythm and blues, and that influence is everywhere. Imagine the Stones without the influence of Diddley's swagger, and you can see his true impact. His prime, like Chuck Berry's, was at a time when African-American artists playing rock 'n' roll was more comfortably accepted by a white public if these men were playing nonthreatening observers whose commentary came through in riddles and encoded language. The hipsters picked up on the fact that they were being spoken to. I never thought much of Bo Diddley till I got his boxed set in the early '90s, and I found certain songs struck me like Escher drawings in that the more I heard them the more I saw. His is the kind of music that in its primitive urgency never gets old and in its lyrical narrative will never become outdated."

Joe Satriani: "Bo Diddley gave us so much. He was an essential part of rock 'n' roll. It couldn't have happened without him."

Bonnie Raitt: "Bo's music will continue to influence people as long as someone can beat out that signature rhythm on whatever instrument they can. He was one of the greats and a wonderful man as well."

Phil Lesh (Grateful Dead, Phil & Friends): "That groove is everywhere. It's so fundamental. It permeates. You can hear it in all different kinds of music, and it moves so nicely. Personally I kind of like to do things inside it; I like to take the groove and move it over an eighth note and set up that tension between the thing that starts on the downbeat and the same pattern that starts an eighth note later, and then you can build that up and it's very satisfying. It's very fruitful, shall we say."

Bob Weir (Grateful Dead, Ratdog): "He was famous for that one rhythm, but he was actually a pretty eminent blues artist. He had an amazing sense of dynamics. When musicians get together and they're working up stuff, it's quite common to hear somebody say, 'I want you to play this Bo Diddley,' and everybody knows what that means. It rumbles and rolls, and the notes don't come real fast so you get a little time to be real choosy about what notes you play and it allows you to dance with your instruments. It's a fun rhythm to play, so we tend to stretch it out and live in it for a while."

Nils Lofgren (E Street Band): "That groove, however Bo fell into it, I'm sure he realized he had a gem ... and he called it his own and sold it to us, and it was a beautiful thing and still is. It's a signature beat that you can play against a four-count bar, but you can't lose it. If someone's playing that beat you can improv around it with funk, rock, melodic playing, nasty stuff, pretty stuff -- but not at the expense of the beat. The drummer doesn't have to play it; the guitar player can play it against regular backbeat drums, and it's going to color the entire picture."

John Doe (X, the Knitters): "He came to Los Angeles once in about '83 and played this place called the Music Machine, and everybody was just out of their minds because Bo Diddley hadn't played in L.A. since who knows when. They had put together a group of guys that played the blues OK but really didn't have a clue to what to do with Bo Diddley and, with all apologies, it was terrible. That same night Dave (Alvin) and a few of us went to the owner of the club and said, 'Get him back six months from now and we'll put together a band and it will be great,' and we did. And it was."

Ted Nugent: "Bo Diddley's incredible impact on music and America is immeasurable. As my American blues brother Billy Gibbons exclaimed, accurately, a newborn infant exposed to the Bo Diddley rhythm would begin to gyrate accordingly. We often hear the term 'primal' associated with good rock 'n' roll music, but clearly Bo handed off the purity of primal direct from our aboriginal campfires straight to the masses via his electric guitar grind. It is pure. I was privileged and deeply honored to jam with Bo and actually play bass guitar in a few of his concerts back in 1970. It changed my life. I wallowed in the belly of the beast and was instantaneously moved to better appreciate and more effectively implement the soulfulness of his music into my own. All dedicated musicians, knowingly or otherwise, directly or indirectly, cannot make stirring music without the immense touch of Bo Diddley guiding them one way or another."

Jack Ingram: "One way I look at it is when I listen to Tom Petty, we don't have 'American Girl' without Bo Diddley -- and that could be said about thousands of other classic American rock 'n' roll tunes. Without Bo Diddley, we'd be missing an entire segment of the soundtrack of our lives. My kid brought me a guitar he made in class the other day; he's 3 years old, and in preschool they were making guitars that look like Bo Diddley's. So his influence is bigger than I can fathom. It's bigger than the money he made or the records he sold."
You want me to put the influences of Muddy Waters, I mean the Rolling Stones named their damn band after him, Muddy Waters is the most influential artist of the last half of 20th century, Clapton and Dylan. BB King, ABB, Buddy Guy.

I would put all these guys on the Mt. Rushmore of Popular music, you cannot have music of 60's-2016 without Bo Diddley. Bo Diddley definitely deserves his props, he was so different. No one is saying he is not at least no me, Bo is not more important as the other guys but just as important, all were influential.

Reactions: Supreme Lord Z
You want me to put the influences of Muddy Waters, I mean the Rolling Stones named their damn band after him, Muddy Waters is the most influential artist of the last half of 20th century, Clapton and Dylan. BB King, ABB, Buddy Guy.

I would put all these guys on the Mt. Rushmore of Popular music, you cannot have music of 60's-2016 without Bo Diddley. Bo Diddley definitely deserves his props, he was so different. No one is saying he is not at least no me, Bo is not more important as the other guys but just as important, all were influential.
I deleted my post because in a way you are trying to give Bo his props. Nothing outrages me more than to hear tired old talk about how influential the Beatles were when nobody can name a single artist that ever picked up a guitar because of Paul McCartney or that ever played the drums because of Ringo Star.

Also, I don't think you are properly weighing the Bo Diddley Beat's impact to this day on modern music. It is still widely used across the industry and is referred to by artists as such.

And by the way, I challenge anyone to post a better live performance than the one I posted of Bo above. The raw seething power of that performance is so blistering that it defies explanation. Bo was the man. That really is all you can say about it. When he sucks his jaws in during the 2nd song and forgets the crowd and just goes off, that is pure rock n roll as ever was poured out of a human being.

There has never been a more raw primal sexual performance than that. Bo and those girls burnt that house down and did not give a single f*&%*.

Last edited:
so it appears that basically every music artist that ever lived has been covered in this thread.

So we can only come to the conclusion that all music sucks, no? Thus the Paddock sayeth?

This is why so many hipsters listen to bands nobody has ever heard of. They get to bash everybody else's taste but nobody knows enough about the crap they listen to to bash it.

Reactions: 420grover
Hank Williams launched rock and roll music in 1951. Everything that came later was influenced by him or can be traced to someone influenced by him.

And by the way, I challenge anyone to post a better live performance than the one I posted of Bo above. The raw seething power of that performance is so blistering that it defies explanation. Bo was the man. That really is all you can say about it. When he sucks his jaws in during the 2nd song and forgets the crowd and just goes off, that is pure rock n roll as ever was poured out of a human being.

There has never been a more raw primal sexual performance than that. Bo and those girls burnt that house down and did not give a single f*&%*.
Well, it obviously turned you on...

This is why so many hipsters listen to bands nobody has ever heard of. They get to bash everybody else's taste but nobody knows enough about the crap they listen to to bash it.
No, its just going down and finding good art. Glenn Gould, a famous pianist (hehe), once talked about primary and secondary motivations. Primary should be for making art, secondary for making money. Too often, once a band reaches a pinnacle of success, those motivations flip. Its why bands like Metallica seem to be sell outs (black album) or commercial viability is looked so down upon. There is a debate on what is the meaning of art and what should be the primary motivation of such art. When sell out was a bad term year ago (it is not in many's eyes) it was because the artist's motivation was to make money, and not make quality. This level of qualitative distinction is what separates the good and bad artists in many minds, and what is considered the turning point in many artists career.

Many audiophiles hate cover bands, sell out and other non-purists. These people that are easy to label hipsters isnt to shit on others music, but to find a source of a more pure art. Its why grunge took off in the 90s, punk in the late 70's, etc, any movement. When a society becomes too materialistic, art is a way to counter such douchery. The audiophile seeks the purity of art. Its why Alice and Chains and pearl jam are sometimes not considered as good as their peers, because they were considered sell outs. Eddie Veddar struggled with this for years.They actively made a decision to drop back, to not become the next metal hair glam.

On top of this, sometimes you just like good music. If you like a band, you then trace it back to bands they were listening to. For example, say you like Nirvana, that would lead you to listen to the Pixies or Fugazi. If you like Fugazi, you might check out minor threat, and after that, Wire. Its a chain. If you like techno, you might go all the way back to Kraftwork or Can (the first founders in a bizarre way). And so you trace it back.

Its why Bo Diddly, or the Velvet Underground, or Robert Johnson are considered the greatest influences, because every band was listening to them. You may not know it. As an audiophile, I will trace back to the source, and then maybe find a new tree back up to find what seems obscure or an artist that didnt make it commercially. Like Lady Gaga? Check out Santigold.

Also thought this was cool: Glenn Gould taking about the artist/audience around : 2:00 minute mark

No, its just going down and finding good art. Glenn Gould, a famous pianist (hehe), once talked about primary and secondary motivations. Primary should be for making art, secondary for making money. Too often, once a band reaches a pinnacle of success, those motivations flip. Its why bands like Metallica seem to be sell outs (black album) or commercial viability is looked so down upon. There is a debate on what is the meaning of art and what should be the primary motivation of such art. When sell out was a bad term year ago (it is not in many's eyes) it was because the artist's motivation was to make money, and not make quality. This level of qualitative distinction is what separates the good and bad artists in many minds, and what is considered the turning point in many artists career.

Many audiophiles hate cover bands, sell out and other non-purists. These people that are easy to label hipsters isnt to shit on others music, but to find a source of a more pure art. Its why grunge took off in the 90s, punk in the late 70's, etc, any movement. When a society becomes too materialistic, art is a way to counter such douchery. The audiophile seeks the purity of art. Its why Alice and Chains and pearl jam are sometimes not considered as good as their peers, because they were considered sell outs. Eddie Veddar struggled with this for years.They actively made a decision to drop back, to not become the next metal hair glam.

On top of this, sometimes you just like good music. If you like a band, you then trace it back to bands they were listening to. For example, say you like Nirvana, that would lead you to listen to the Pixies or Fugazi. If you like Fugazi, you might check out minor threat, and after that, Wire. Its a chain. If you like techno, you might go all the way back to Kraftwork or Can (the first founders in a bizarre way). And so you trace it back.

Its why Bo Diddly, or the Velvet Underground, or Robert Johnson are considered the greatest influences, because every band was listening to them. You may not know it. As an audiophile, I will trace back to the source, and then maybe find a new tree back up to find what seems obscure or an artist that didnt make it commercially. Like Lady Gaga? Check out Santigold.

Also thought this was cool: Glenn Gould taking about the artist/audience around : 2:00 minute mark

I'm not talking about finding the good music out there that isn't commercial. I don't listen to the radio at all, I certainly am not into the major commercial music. Wasn't trying to comment on that at all. I know way more people who just like good music than I know people like the ones I was referring to. I was just reminded by this thread - everything anybody likes is shit on by somebody else, often in a smug, assholish manner. I've know people who fit that type of smugly dissing anything and everything you say you like, whose musical taste is way too much a part of their identity and who are just assholes about it. But if somebody wants to spend their time listening to Blake Shelton, I don't talk down to them over it. Go listen to whatever floats your boat, I'll offer alternatives but for everybody eating a filet there's a bunch of people who just want a big mac.

I'm not talking about finding the good music out there that isn't commercial. I don't listen to the radio at all, I certainly am not into the major commercial music. Wasn't trying to comment on that at all. I know way more people who just like good music than I know people like the ones I was referring to. I was just reminded by this thread - everything anybody likes is shit on by somebody else, often in a smug, assholish manner. I've know people who fit that type of smugly dissing anything and everything you say you like, whose musical taste is way too much a part of their identity and who are just assholes about it. But if somebody wants to spend their time listening to Blake Shelton, I don't talk down to them over it. Go listen to whatever floats your boat, I'll offer alternatives but for everybody eating a filet there's a bunch of people who just want a big mac.
Fair enough. But when people make outlandish claims that Dylan isnt influential, thats just pure poppycock.

I mean WC Handy, Robert Johnson, Son House, Carter Family all hand the ball off to Muddy Waters, Wolf, Elmore James, Little Walter, Leadbelly, Woody Guthrie all hand off to BB King, Bo Diddley, Chuck Berry, Little RIchard, Freddie King/Albert King Elvis hand off to Everly Bros. Buddy Holly who hand off to British rockers who dance to Chuck Berry but find WW2 records of where it came from T Bone Walker, Muddy-Wolf, Robert Johnson hence guys like Jagger and Richards who imitated Chuck Berry but found Muddy, John Lennon loving Chuck Berry, MacCartney loving Little Richard. Bob Dylan's idols were Hank Williams and Woody Guthrie but he loves Robert Johnson and Carter family. Clapton and Duane Allman, Hendrix and all influenced by Buddy Guy, they dived deeper and found the King's and Muddy and Wolf, Robert Johnson, Willie Dixon.

Hey everything is influenced by what was done right here, country, blues, New Orleans music. Helluva legacy that we have as far as country. That is not even our Jazz heritage that goes hand and hand.

ADVERTISEMENT