ADVERTISEMENT

Most beloved UK player

Mashburn signing with U.K. after the NCAA penalties was a game-changer. John Wall signing with U.K. after the Tubby wasteland years and the BCG debacle was equally a game-changer. I'll always remember that the signings of those two guys were monumental events in U.K. basketball. But neither of those is one of my "favorite players."

And, it is certainly generational. So I'll just go back and name a few "really generational" possibilities for "favorite U.K. player."

Wah Wah Jones (1940's)
Johnny Cox (1950's)
Cotton Nash (1960's)
"The Horse" (1960's)
Dampier and Riley (1960's)
Larry Conley (1960's)

Dampier was the star when I was first old enough to actually care, but Issel really resonated with me, and to this day, there hasn't been a player I've respected or liked more. Not only as a player, but just the kind of guy he was on and off the court. 44 is still my favorite number. I'd have to give a strong shout out to the Monster Mash, however, for the modern era. Our program was at a low ebb and Mash was the player most responsible for bringing us back into relevance. I've always respected him-as a player and a man-tremendously

Reactions: On-On-UK
My memories of UK begin in the mid 1970s, and the most “beloved” players since then is actually a pretty easy question. Kyle Macy and Rex Chapman. I don’t think it’s particularly close.

Beloved is not the same as best or even personal favorite....

My memories of UK begin in the mid 1970s, and the most “beloved” players since then is actually a pretty easy question. Kyle Macy and Rex Chapman. I don’t think it’s particularly close...

Sounds like we're about the same age, and this mirrors my experience exactly. The two biggest examples of the state going insane for a player I can recall are Kyle Macy and Rex Chapman.

The whole state was head over heels in love with Macy in the late 70s and early 80s. He was held out as like the prototype of the perfect kid, and with every boy in the state wanted to be like him (and imitating him). And then the whole rock star Rex-mania thing from around 86-88 was just waayy over the top, the type of thing that could only happen in the state of Kentucky.

And, btw, another glaring example of irrational insanity over a player was the whole Richie Farmer thing. But the difference is that was really only from "part" of the state--namely the far Eastern part--the rest of the state saw that quite differently. With Chapman and Macy it was over the entire state.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mojocat
One thing you have to remember is that it's a LOT easier to "show love" for a player these days through social media. It's a question too hard to gauge IMO. Can't think of many I haven't liked (if any).

Reactions: Poetax
I love guys like Mashburn, Davis, Wall, Cuz, Towns, Macy, Bowie, etc. But, for me, the all time has to be Dan Issel. Still has ties to the Rupp era, classic battles with Pistol Pete, all time leading scorer in UK history and when they could only count 3 years, great ABA/NBA player for entire career, face of the Kentucky Colonels, and more. I just have so many UK favorites from over the years.

what started the discussion is how sheppard gets no love from UK fans despite being MVP of championship team.
It is a good question . I couldn't hear much of the commentary on the game , did Dackitch say something about Indiana looking at Shepard and thinking he wasn't good enough for them ?

We'e had so many great players , it's hard to pick or separate favorites from best. I think my favorites are Wah Wah Jones or Frank Ramsey. The one that was needed the most was Mashburn. Goose was hard to beat. Spivey could have been had he played. I could name many more from the seventy years that I've been a fan.

It is a good question . I couldn't hear much of the commentary on the game , did Dackitch say something about Indiana looking at Shepard and thinking he wasn't good enough for them ?

Didnt hear that, mostly he just talked about how true Kentucky fans love him, treated him like a king the whole week and gave him standing ovations every time he walked in a room

Reactions: yoshukai
While obviously not a player, the most beloved Wildcat of all time is without a doubt Caywood.

Reactions: TeoJ

He said Knight thought that. Dakich was an IU assistant at the time. From the tenor of the comment, I got the impression that Shep was a player that Dakich wanted to offer, but Knight vetoed.

I thought the comment was a pretty clear jab at Knight. Which is something I kinda like about Dakich, the guy doesn't pull his punches, and he doesn't care who he pisses off.

Last edited:
Reactions: yoshukai
what started the discussion is how sheppard gets no love from UK fans despite being MVP of championship team.

I think Shep gets a lot of love from fans that I know. Plus Mashburn and Macy, and our locals, Givens, Lee, and Turpin. Plus even though they weren’t 4 year players like above, John has many players that are beloved by fans. Actually there’s too many to list overall from past years.

FWIW I have been a fan since the 50's and I can't answer the question.As a couple have said it is a generational thing to a degree.

I have evolved(as a fan) to the point that I see OAD and multi year players the same. In no particular order Davis,Issel,Mashburn,MKG,Nash Givens,Bowie. Lee.See why I can't answer.
I agree but you forgot Louie Dampier, Kevin Grevey, Kenny Walker, Melvin Turpin, Kyle Macy, etc....

Tylerl Herro.
That dude on TV said that and immediately new he opened a can of worms. I'm not gonna lie seeing a whiteboy balling his ass off is exciting for me. I love all are players but have to admit Herro my favorite

I'm 57

Kyle Macy is most popular ever in my lifetime- more kids named after him then you could imagine
Next would be Walker, Mashburn & Wall, AD, MKG
Yep I'm named after him. Kyle a huge name in KY. I met the laker girls and they acted like my name was so exotic lol

Reactions: TeoJ
Yep I'm named after him. Kyle a huge name in KY. I met the laker girls and they acted like my name was so exotic lol
I know at least two Kyles named after Macy.One friend wanted to name his daughter Roby (his son is named Kyle)but his wife put her foot down.

I agree, it is probably a generational thing. Since my fandom started in the mid 70's and it is my favorite, not necessarily the best, I would go with:

70's--Macy
80's-Walker
90's-Mash
00's-Hayes
10's-Ulis

As has been already noted it’s personal preference but it’s hard to argue against this list.

Sounds like we're about the same age, and this mirrors my experience exactly. The two biggest examples of the state going insane for a player I can recall are Kyle Macy and Rex Chapman.

The whole state was head over heels in love with Macy in the late 70s and early 80s. He was held out as like the prototype of the perfect kid, and with every boy in the state wanted to be like him (and imitating him). And then the whole rock star Rex-mania thing from around 86-88 was just waayy over the top, the type of thing that could only happen in the state of Kentucky.

And, btw, another glaring example of irrational insanity over a player was the whole Richie Farmer thing. But the difference is that was really only from "part" of the state--namely the far Eastern part--the rest of the state saw that quite differently. With Chapman and Macy it was over the entire state.

I'm 56 and grew up in Lexington, your post mirrors my thoughts as well. Would probably give Kyle the slight edge. I understand others not "understanding" the Kyle mania if they weren't around for it. My dad always talked about Cotton Nash being the biggest star, etc. I know he was a great player, but I wasn't around then so I don't really have an understanding of his star status.

Everybody that starting wiping their hands on their socks before shooting free throws, hold up your hand. LOL!

Reactions: UK90
ADVERTISEMENT