Most beloved UK player

Wildcats1st

All-American
Sep 16, 2017
who is it?? These guys can’t contain themselves

I say mashburn

Maybe Kyle Macy

Last edited:
Most beloved isn’t he same as best player. I’m 38 and my favorites are Prince, Hayes, Mashburn, Davis, Wall, Cousins, Walker and MKG. Not sure I can pick one.

Wall for me because he brought us back during my college years.

Also loved Mobk and Fox's heart. The emotion in the locker room after getting the biggest screw job in history really got to me.

FWIW I have been a fan since the 50's and I can't answer the question.As a couple have said it is a generational thing to a degree.

I have evolved(as a fan) to the point that I see OAD and multi year players the same. In no particular order Davis,Issel,Mashburn,MKG,Nash Givens,Bowie. Lee.See why I can't answer.

FWIW I have been a fan since the 50's and I can't answer the question.As a couple have said it is a generational thing to a degree.

I have evolved(as a fan) to the point that I see OAD and multi year players the same. In no particular order Davis,Issel,Mashburn,MKG,Nash Givens,Bowie. Lee.See why I can't answer.

Yeah I see but with your old timer knowledge which player have you seen the fanbase show the most favorability toward? I mean i remember the 78 team and when I go to ncaa tournament games I always see sky walker and goose it seems. Those guys seem to be the most accessible and loved but I read here mashburn mashburn mashburn and I know why. Macy is just an all around nice guy and hasnt left lexington. He’s a personal friend and i see the fans when they meet him. You’re right it’s a hard question. Maybe it would be easier if it were rupp era, jb Hall era, pitino era, tubby era, cal era? I guess we need a bcg era bc we can’t fault the players for him.

Yeah I see but with your old timer knowledge which player have you seen the fanbase show the most favorability toward? I mean i remember the 78 team and when I go to ncaa tournament games I always see sky walker and goose it seems. Those guys seem to be the most accessible and loved but I read here mashburn mashburn mashburn and I know why. Macy is just an all around nice guy and hasnt left lexington. He’s a personal friend and i see the fans when they meet him. You’re right it’s a hard question. Maybe it would be easier if it were rupp era, jb Hall era, pitino era, tubby era, cal era? I guess we need a bcg era bc we can’t fault the players for him.
I think individual favorite and overall fan favorite are two different things.I was thinking in terms of who I hated to see leave the most.I don't think long time fans can form the attachment to one or two year players that they once did to 4 year players. I have gotten to the point that I see each new incoming class as one individual entity and form attachments to the group as I once did individual players. This group is well on it's way to being one of my favorites.

Last edited:
Goose, Macy, & Skywalker (all-time)

Wall, Davis, & Ullis (recent)

I don’t know that there is a most beloved player. There are a bunch. Hard to narrow it down. These are my all time and recent guys.

What makes the announcers think we will love Herro more than any recent player? Is it because he is white and good?

Mashburn is probably the answer for me.

“White and good”... really ? We’ve had a lot of really good white players and a lot of really good black players too. How ‘bout we call them UK players and choose the ones we really like.

Reactions: theycallmefrancis

Thanks for the hats off to Cotton Nash.

I think he and Bill Spivey are the two biggest Kentucky legends that seem almost forgotten.

“White and good”... really ? We’ve had a lot of really good white players and a lot of really good black players too. How ‘bout we call them UK players and choose the ones we really like.
What? Do you not understand the post you quoted or something?

Reactions: BlueBomb
What? Do you not understand the post you quoted or something?

Yep. It’s easy to understand. So why didn’t you understand it ? The question was who was the most beloved UK player, not a white player vs black player thing. Nice try though.

Yep. It’s easy to understand. So why didn’t you understand it ? The question was who was the most beloved UK player, not a white player vs black player thing. Nice try though.
The original post was made during the game when the announcers had just got done saying Herro was our 4-5th best player but he could be our all time favorite player. I was pointing out the stupidity of the announcers. Thanks for trying to act offended though.

Reactions: TIE543
I'm 57

Kyle Macy is most popular ever in my lifetime- more kids named after him then you could imagine
Next would be Walker, Mashburn & Wall, AD, MKG

According to the national sports media we only like the white players. It is a lazy take and clearly agenda driven. But get ready, because that narrative is going to be shoved down our throats all season long.

Last edited:
Reactions: yoshukai
ADVERTISEMENT