ADVERTISEMENT

Mookie Cook Decommits

Feels like we're closing the deal on Edwards. I'd assume Edwards wouldn't like it one bit getting re-involved with Cook when earlier he was supposedly not feeling enough love from UK.
If Cook wants to re-classify to 2022, that's another story. A 10-man roster is too thin and assuming Thiero won't play much it' s almost a 9-man roster. 😐
I'd love having Cook on next year's roster. We need some depth.

You add a 6'7" future lottery pick to what we already have and that's a top 3 team in actuality, and not just on paper.

Is Mookie a good shooter ?
When I’ve seen him I’ve thought he has a nice shot but not someone I’d label a good shooter. Much more of a versatile, athletic, slashing 4 man than he is a perimeter player. If looking at our current roster he would be much more in the Livingston/Toppin style than say a Reeves even though these sites list Cook as a SF consistently.

We have three scholarships left. Just add Cook, Kingsley, and Dillingham and be full up. Let them sort out the minutes on the court in practice every day.

Can you imagine that roster:

G Wheeler/Dillingham/Thiero
G Wallace/Fredrick/Reeves
F Livingston/Cook
F Toppin/Collins
F Tshiebwe/Kingsley/Ware

Now before I hear, “no way Reeves is third string” or “Cook starts over Livingston” remember, I said they will sort all that stuff out in practice, this is just my guess on the roster lay out.

Now that’s the depth we have been waiting for.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
You add Cook and suddenly you have two guys in that 6'6"(ish) to 6'7" range who can both score from the wing. It's a nice weapon to be able to pull out of your arsenal and many of UK's best teams historically had multiple high-level wings who could play the 2/3.

1993: Mashburn, Rhodes
1996: Mercer, Anderson
1997: Anderson, Mercer
1998: Edwards, Evans
2011: Liggins, Miller,
2012: Miller, MKG
2014: Harrison, Young

There's a reason Coach K tries to stockpile these types of players.

Get Cook and suddenly we have the depth we've needed. He plays the 2-4 spots, so he gives you depth all across the roster. He allows Wallace to play more point guard if needed, and doesn't make Reeves a necessity as a scorer, which would be huge.

I have elsewhere that Mookie has NOT reclassified, as of now.
Does anyone know for sure?

You add Cook and suddenly you have two guys in that 6'6"(ish) to 6'7" range who can both score from the wing. It's a nice weapon to be able to pull out of your arsenal and many of UK's best teams historically had multiple high-level wings who could play the 2/3.

1993: Mashburn, Rhodes
1996: Mercer, Anderson
1997: Anderson, Mercer
1998: Edwards, Evans
2011: Liggins, Miller,
2012: Miller, MKG
2014: Harrison, Young

There's a reason Coach K tries to stockpile these types of players.

Get Cook and suddenly we have the depth we've needed. He plays the 2-4 spots, so he gives you depth all across the roster. He allows Wallace to play more point guard if needed, and doesn't make Reeves a necessity as a scorer, which would be huge.

Not to disagree with you because I do agree, but Reeves is 6'6 and fits that mold as a "wing scorer", though he clearly cannot play 2-4, only the 2 or 3 spots.

And I'm good with Reeves being a scorer, I like a guy off the bench who's wired to do one thing...score. But I agree with your sentiment, Mookie would be massive for this team's depth and versatility.

Again, I think we're a title contender without him (top 10 contender IMO), but Mookie would make us the prohibitive favorite.

Reactions: gharding07
I have elsewhere that Mookie has NOT reclassified, as of now.
Does anyone know for sure?

Just these articles.

It was pretty well-known and announced that he was joining Oregon in 2022.

He can always change course and choose to NOT enroll somewhere this fall, but then it just delays his NBA dream by an extra year.

Reactions: HerrosHeroes
Just these articles.

It was pretty well-known and announced that he was joining Oregon in 2022.

He can always change course and choose to NOT enroll somewhere this fall, but then it just delays his NBA dream by an extra year.
He either found a better option where he is going to be the guy or he ain’t ready to reclass just yet

Dillingham has been saying for some time that he was not reclass. I don't think he will. Guess we will just have to wait and see.
I have wondered why folks still have him as a reclass when he said that was one of the reasons he decommitted from NC State . Could be all talk though who knows but I only have been counting him for the 2023 class .

@ralphdaltonfan whats the low down on this kid? You think UK will go in for him now since we were on his inital list?
I don't know or hadn't heard anything about this from friend, so doubt he knew it was coming. Doesn't mean Kentucky didn't or they won't be involved. Never hurts when a top prospect is back on market and you have a lot of scholarships you are going to give out and have a great class building.

More options the better off you are, specifically as the shifts often change once evaluation period is over. Staffs meet up, some guys move up/down boards, etc.....but Cook is a top talent so I'd be stunned if Kentucky didn't reach out.

We have three scholarships left. Just add Cook, Kingsley, and Dillingham and be full up. Let them sort out the minutes on the court in practice every day.

Can you imagine that roster:

G Wheeler/Dillingham/Thiero
G Wallace/Fredrick/Reeves
F Livingston/Cook
F Toppin/Collins
F Tshiebwe/Kingsley/Ware

Now before I hear, “no way Reeves is third string” or “Cook starts over Livingston” remember, I said they will sort all that stuff out in practice, this is just my guess on the roster lay out.

Now that’s the depth we have been waiting for.

Sure recipe for chemistry problems. There is such a thing as giving people room to grow. I’m excited to see Toppin, among others, with that room. Cook and Dillingham aren’t going to be happy with lesser roles.

I don't know or hadn't heard anything about this from friend, so doubt he knew it was coming. Doesn't mean Kentucky didn't or they won't be involved. Never hurts when a top prospect is back on market and you have a lot of scholarships you are going to give out and have a great class building.

More options the better off you are, specifically as the shifts often change once evaluation period is over. Staffs meet up, some guys move up/down boards, etc.....but Cook is a top talent so I'd be stunned if Kentucky didn't reach out.
Awesome keep us updated if your friend hears anything.

Or we can pull a Duke and get them both. Play them both at the same time. It helps that they're both 6'7" and can play 2 or 3 positions.

That's old school, Cal. We haven't seen him in a while. I don't know if the old man still has it in him to get 4 top 15 players in a class. He hasn't done that since 2017.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Not to disagree with you because I do agree, but Reeves is 6'6 and fits that mold as a "wing scorer", though he clearly cannot play 2-4, only the 2 or 3 spots.

And I'm good with Reeves being a scorer, I like a guy off the bench who's wired to do one thing...score. But I agree with your sentiment, Mookie would be massive for this team's depth and versatility.

Again, I think we're a title contender without him (top 10 contender IMO), but Mookie would make us the prohibitive favorite.
I guess I'm one of the few who really wouldn't get too excited about Cook reclassifying and playing for UK this season. First, I don't think he's close to making any college team a prohibitive favorite. Second, I think he's a third-string SF at UK next season, behind both Reeves and Livingston in making a positive impact from the SF spot. I don't mean to be a Debbie-downer, and I'm all for adding depth; but I don't see Cook playing for UK next season being in any way transformative. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Tampa_cat54
I'd love to see Cook, Reeves, Livingston, and Toppin out there as our forwards. We've never had a forwards corps like that in the Calipari era.

Let's get this kid and end a pretty bleak spring/summer on an optimistic note. The program needs to go into the season loaded for bear. Right now, we're not there yet. Adding Cook puts us in the driver's seat as he would give us the pivotal third NBA-level player that most college teams seem to need to cut the nets down.

Last edited:
I guess I'm one of the few who really wouldn't get too excited about Cook reclassifying and playing for UK this season. First, I don't think he's close to making any college team a prohibitive favorite. Second, I think he's a third-string SF at UK next season, behind both Reeves and Livingston in making a positive impact from the SF spot. I don't mean to be a Debbie-downer, and I'm all for adding depth; but I don't see Cook playing for UK next season being in any way transformative. Just my opinion.
And that’s fine. If he wants to come, let him come and battle with Livingston and Reeves and let the better player or players get the minutes. It’s that simple for me.

Sure recipe for chemistry problems. There is such a thing as giving people room to grow. I’m excited to see Toppin, among others, with that room. Cook and Dillingham aren’t going to be happy with lesser roles.
Chemistry issues can happen on a team with just 9 scholarship guys on the roster. See the 2020 team. 9 guys and Whitney still leaves over minutes. At least with 13 scholarship guys, if one or even two leave midseason, you still have enough for 5 on 5 work. Let them come and compete and quit worrying about “taking someone’s heart.”

Chemistry issues can happen on a team with just 9 scholarship guys on the roster. See the 2020 team. 9 guys and Whitney still leaves over minutes. At least with 13 scholarship guys, if one or even two leave midseason, you still have enough for 5 on 5 work. Let them come and compete and quit worrying about “taking someone’s heart.”
I agree. Add Cook and you don't have to worry about whether Thiero will be ready as the third guard, or even worry about whether Fredrick can last a full season. You also get a kid who's close to 6'8" and long. Suddenly, you go from a team that couldn't defend the perimeter to save it's life the last two seasons, to having some guys like Cook, Wallace, and Livingston who could make opposing perimeter schemes obsolete for certain stretches of close games.

All that said, I don't think we'll land Cook. One thing I've learned about Calipari over the last few years, if it sounds too good to be true when it comes to possible recruiting coups, it probably is.

ADVERTISEMENT