ADVERTISEMENT

MKG against the Heat

Some stated he was a bust. I still laugh at that.
Those people don't know ish. Bet they wouldn't call MKG a bust to his face.

hi-res-067cb64325884ba21a07e09d7d4dc69a_crop_north.jpg

The Kentucky Effect works. I'd hope you aren't begrudging a UK player his due.

I like MKG but for a 2nd pick in the draft you expect more .

I don’t want to call him a bust but ...

As for tonight he’s been great all over the floor . Malik Monk also has 15 pts

Reactions: CatfanMike47
He's only a bust possibly if you look at it from where he was drafted and even then it's debatable. Busts give you nothing and are gone before they get their 2nd contract. Think Kwame, Thabeet, Washburn, Shawn Bradley and Olowokandi in the NBA. Mandarich, QB's Russell, Ryan Leaf and Rick Mirer just to name a few. If MKG goes 5-10 in that draft he's been a very good pick up. He's started every game until this year unless he was coming off an injury. Something like 350 out of 360 games started. He stuffs the stat sheet and is one of the best defensive small forwards in the league. He does a lot of things that don't show up on the stat sheet. I'd like to see his +/- on what has been a pretty bad team since he got there. I bet it's pretty good considering their record. It's not his fault he went higher than he should have. It's Jordans. But Mikey's pretty good at making bad personnel decisions see Kwame mentioned above.

He hasnt really lived up to the number 2 pick, but if he can stay healthy in the right situation, MKG could be the absolute perfect role player on a great team. He does everything extremely well except shoot it. He's all heart man, even though it's just a basketball game, watching him on the court has always been extremely impressive. Hes one of those lunch pale guys who just goes to work and puts his heart and soul into it every day. That becoming pretty rare in todays run and gun jump shooting game.

Reactions: UKUGA and ukfan041
He hasnt really lived up to the number 2 pick, but if he can stay healthy in the right situation, MKG could be the absolute perfect role player on a great team. He does everything extremely well except shoot it. He's all heart man, even though it's just a basketball game, watching him on the court has always been extremely impressive. Hes one of those lunch pale guys who just goes to work and puts his heart and soul into it every day. That becoming pretty rare in todays run and gun jump shooting game.
Did you just contradict yourself?

Reactions: kybassfan
Bust? debatable. Worthy of being number 2 pick in a redraft? No chance.
True, but he wouldn't go as low as a lot of people think. Basketball Reference rates him 9th in that draft class in Win Shares. Brad Beal, Damian Lillard, Harrison Barnes, and Andre Drummond went below him in the top 10 of that draft, and all are clearly better pros. Draymond Green, Khris Middleton, and Jae Crowder went 2nd round, so everyone sort of missed on them.

MKG has done OK for himself, but the sad thing is how much of his shooting struggle is mental. His shot at UK wasn't great, but it wasn't the total fiasco it's become in the NBA. It's obviously a mental block for him.

Bust is a strong word, I don't see a straight up bust, but it's easy to see where some would think so being the number 2 pick.

It's not that hard.

An interesting thing is how problematic the #2 overall pick has often been in the one and done era (and really, even going back further).

The first was Kevin Durant in 07. It seemed like he used up all the mojo for that pick for half a decade, because the following #2 picks were Michael Beasley, Hasheem Thabeet, Evan Turner, Derrick Williams, and MKG.

Victor Oladipo was 2013, and the last 5 are Jabari Parker, D'Angelo Russell, Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball, and Marvin Bagley.

12 years, and I would say 2 outright busts (Thabeet and Williams), 1 near bust (Beasley), 2 decent but slightly disappointing players (Turner and MKG), 1 near star (Oladipo), and one superstar, with the 5 most recent TBD- no true busts, but none currently looks like a HOF caliber talent.

Not the results you'd think from a collection of guys considered 2nd best in their draft classes.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Like some on here have alluded to, MKG has a ton of basketball left. How many full injury-free seasons has the guy had? I'll look it up but I'm guessing it's not more than half the years he's been in the league. Give the kid five more years minimum to form a career opinion. Way too early yet IMO.

Reactions: Cindog28
MKG was always going to be a hustle guy. I think his ceiling was about 11 to 13 points/game, 6 to 7 rebounds/game.

He has career averages of 9 and 6. He hasn't met a modest-level ceiling, but how many players do? He was never going to be a 16/8 guy.

Lol @ Jay Williams. Just another duke bust in a long line of duke busts

I disagree.

I hated all the Duke mania around the turn of the century...but....

Jay Williams was a GREAT college basketball player. He was clutch...and he was deadly.

We don't know how good (or bad) he would have been in the pros, because he suffered a career-ending injury off the court.

Last edited:
I hate jay Williams but to say he was a bust is laughable. Only played 1 year before almost dying
Still a busted pick, though.

It is a different story than a guy who turns out to not have the ability, but it ends in the same place.

Still a busted pick, though.

It is a different story than a guy who turns out to not have the ability, but it ends in the same place.

OK.

Then Len Bias is a busted pick.

I don't think anyone criticizes Red Auerbach for that "busted pick."

Reactions: KYNC89
OK.

Then Len Bias is a busted pick.

I don't think anyone criticizes Red Auerbach for that "busted pick."
Yes, Len Bias was a busted pick.

You're looking at it as purely an indictment of the player in question. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not. Accidents happen, injuries happen, and that's mostly just a question of luck. But from a team/historical viewpoint, the only question is: what did the team get out of the pick? If they got nothing, then it was very much a busted pick.

Last edited:
MKG could end up like Andre Iguodala. Id say that would be great. Plenty of room for a glue guy. It is too bad that MKG is just a J away from being a 15 pt scorer.

You'd think that MKG could work out the deficiencies of his shot a bit after 6 seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT