ADVERTISEMENT

MJ on Poythress

I know this is not a popular take but here goes. As short handed as we are, the best thing we can do in Nashville is lose on Friday. I even hate me for saying that so give it a rest.:chairshot:

mash-helicopter-opening-sequence-630-620x413.jpg

Should Be our theme song

works really well with chicken too; but I'm coming to your place for Thanksgiving this year

Had to cook three last Thanksgiving. Two were spatched and one traditional. That bunch of chow hounds ate nearly all of it. I'm raiding someone else's birds next year.

Reactions: Bkocats
I know this is not a popular take but here goes. As short handed as we are, the best thing we can do in Nashville is lose on Friday. I even hate me for saying that so give it a rest.:chairshot:

The committee doesn't seem to care about conference tournaments, at least not the SEC title game. If you're already in the field, winning the SEC tournament literally means nothing. The brackets are already done. Why risk injury?

Kind of getting off track, but I agree with Cal on conference tournaments. It's cool for the fans, but they're meaningless. I'd rather not have them anymore.

AP is much better and more efficient than yall think: Take the time to research before making such conclusions

The metric you're using also has Dom and Lee rated higher than Murray.

Edit. Never mind. I see why they're listed in that order now.

Double edit. Has PoY, Dom and Lee all with a higher Orating than Murray?

Stated today (just now actually) that he has "heard from some people that he may not return this season." Just throwing that out there. Not sure the reason for the secret nature of his injury. Sure, protect the kid and his NBA hopes by not acknowledging the seriousness of an injury. But, teams will have access to that information I'm certain prior to the draft... I still feel like we need Alex to be as good as this team can be.
I'm a little late to the thread and I'm still at work so I don't have time to read the whole thing, but I was considering posting a thread today on this same subject. I don't remember seeing Alex on the bench last game. He could have been there and I missed it or he could be resting his injury and just wasn't there. But I've had this feeling that we may not see Poy again. He is not the same player as we've seen in the past. Now and then we've seen a flash of it, but he has reminded me of an old NBA player who still pulls out one of his great plays now and then but in general is much less than he was when he was younger. I'm very curious if Alex still has his insurance to protect him against injury. If so, I'm wondering if he just wants to cash it in and move on with his life. All pure speculation on my part and I only hope for the best for Alex. Things just haven't felt right for some reason and now this injury. It has made me stop and think about what I've seen this year from him.

I am not worried about this as it would be silly to when they have said 10 days to 2 weeks . Kinda think all the freaking out is funny on here . Now if it were true then that suckkkkks but I just doubt it is . Now could he need 3 weeks and not 2 ? sure But if he was done we would know. I have learned half of the things Matty Bangs says are just tossing out stuff he hears. Remember how he said Cal was leaving UK the last 2 years ?

Cal had a press conference today, I find it hard to believe no one asked him about this.

This post is just silly. Yes, injuries actually are that common, and NO, injuries don't happen to us any more than they do most other schools. The gods of fate are not out to get UK.

Funny thing is I remember Cal's first three years here the prevailing narrative was how incredibly lucky we were that we never seemed to have devastating injuries like the other schools do, and posters were wondering if that was somehow due to Cal's coaching style. Nope, it was just good luck during those years, but bad luck right now. The odds are finally catching up to us.

But, fwiw, this is very sad news if true. Feel really bad for Poy.

This year alone we've had scares with Ulis, Lee and Poy. Scares as in we were concerned they were serious. And Briscoe's missed what? 2 games right? Hawkins, And now this with Poy. Last year it was Poy. Plus I'm thinking Lyles missed 2 games, and Booker and Ulis missed one game. The same game actually. Year before that. WCS got hurt in the tourney and so did Randall. But WCS actually missed multiple games and it possibly cost us a championship. Then obviously Noel going down for the year 4 years ago. Anybody I left out? Yeah dude. That's more injuries than is common in basketball. Like you said the first couple years we didn't really have any injuries. This is just total BS.

The committee doesn't seem to care about conference tournaments, at least not the SEC title game. If you're already in the field, winning the SEC tournament literally means nothing. The brackets are already done. Why risk injury?

Kind of getting off track, but I agree with Cal on conference tournaments. It's cool for the fans, but they're meaningless. I'd rather not have them anymore.
The committee doesn't care until we lose early in the SECT than all the sudden it's a big deal.

If he's gone, add him to the list of starters lost due to injury over the past four years - Noel, WCS, Alex and Alex, again. We were very fortunate not to have an injury on the 2012 team as we were essentially playing 6.

Most have been saying that Poythress has a Minor procedure done on his Right Knee and would be out 10-14 days. So, if he is out for two weeks that would mean he would return for Bama game on 2/23 or the Vandy game on the Road on 2/27. It would be great if Poythress could return for Vandy and UF games which are both on the road and the Finale at home vs. LSU before the SEC Tourney starts up the next weekend.

Reactions: Jazzycat
If he's gone, add him to the list of starters lost due to injury over the past four years - Noel, WCS, Alex and Alex, again. We were very fortunate not to have an injury on the 2012 team as we were essentially playing 6.
Yep, also the injury bug hit Carolina and may have helped us win a title in 2012 when their kid went down. Was his name Marshall?

Reactions: calamitybone
I don't know if anyone has pointed this out but Cal clearly said, "IF Alex returns..." in today's pre USC presser(5:10 in the video) . One other point I wanted to make about the injury happening during warm ups. I don't believe it did and here's why. IDK if anyone else heard the pregame comments made by one of the commentators(Nesslor I believe?) of the last game but they were talking about Alex being "on the bike" in practice and not going full contact when they mentioned that Alex would not play. They never said he wasn't actually going full contact, but why would Alex, a starter, be on the stationery bike in these critical "winning play" building practices coming down the stretch if he wasn't suspected of being hurt. All of this coupled with the fact that MJ says he is hearing Alex may be out for the rest of the year, leads me to believe we'll be really lucky if he is back. I don't believe he will be. I hope I am wrong, but all the facts point to him being out longer than 10-14 days, IMO.

Reactions: CatsnRoses
I love Alex and his commitment to the Wildcats, but he will not be the nail in our seasons coffin.

I have supreme confidence in these players and these coaches to be just fine and make a run for a banner.

Next man up.

I have a hunch this is Alex decision...maybe he just doesn't want to risk further injury ruining his career

I have a hunch this is Alex decision...maybe he just doesn't want to risk further injury ruining his career

Alex is a fringe 2nd round pick as we speak, and on the outside looking in. Unless he wants to miss out on the NBA completely and concede to a pro career overseas, it makes little sense for him to stop playing now if he's capable of coming back, having a strong tournament, and helping boost his draft status just a tad.

If they shut him down this year, it will likely be because it was physically impossible for him to come back and play.

Last edited:
Reactions: yoshukai
I love Alex and his commitment to the Wildcats, but he will not be the nail in our seasons coffin.

I have supreme confidence in these players and these coaches to be just fine and make a run for a banner.

Next man up.

I like your optimism, but this frontcourt was already weak with Poythress. If he misses the rest of the season, it will be an uphill battle just making it out of the first weekend of the tournament alive.

I am not worried about this as it would be silly to when they have said 10 days to 2 weeks . Kinda think all the freaking out is funny on here . Now if it were true then that suckkkkks but I just doubt it is . Now could he need 3 weeks and not 2 ? sure But if he was done we would know. I have learned half of the things Matty Bangs says are just tossing out stuff he hears. Remember how he said Cal was leaving UK the last 2 years ?
He's never said that .

I like your optimism, but this frontcourt was already weak with Poythress. If he misses the rest of the season, it will be an uphill battle just making it out of the first weekend of the tournament alive.

Man, I'd say just let Tai play. Marcus step up. It will work its way out.

I don't know if anyone has pointed this out but Cal clearly said, "IF Alex returns..." in today's pre USC presser(5:10 in the video) . One other point I wanted to make about the injury happening during warm ups. I don't believe it did and here's why. IDK if anyone else heard the pregame comments made by one of the commentators(Nesslor I believe?) of the last game but they were talking about Alex being "on the bike" in practice and not going full contact when they mentioned that Alex would not play. They never said he wasn't actually going full contact, but why would Alex, a starter, be on the stationery bike in these critical "winning play" building practices coming down the stretch if he wasn't suspected of being hurt. All of this coupled with the fact that MJ says he is hearing Alex may be out for the rest of the year, leads me to believe we'll be really lucky if he is back. I don't believe he will be. I hope I am wrong, but all the facts point to him being out longer than 10-14 days, IMO.

I think you are right. He hurt his right knee a month or two ago in a game. I remember him leaving he floor to have it worked on. I can't remember which game it was, but it was just before halftime and everyone was relieved when he came back out to start the second half.

Perhaps he had been playing through some pain and tweaked it recently or something. But you're right that Nessler said he wondered if something was going on because Alex was on the bike. I don't think it happened in warmups. And he was not on the bench last game.

It's all a strange situation. I totally understand that UK wants to protect him and may not want to comment on the specifics of the injury, both for reasons of privacy and for draft potential. However, if he's done for the season, I wish they'd just tell us. Perhaps they don't know if he is yet, but someone obviously mentioned the possibility to MJ, so it would be nice if they'd just officially let the cat out of the bag.

Reactions: BLUEballs09
Man, I'd say just let Tai play. Marcus step up. It will work its way out.

Apparently Tai doesn't want to play. Cal said in the USC presser that he was going to put him in and he looked down the bench and thought Tai didn't want to play. Said he's going to talk to him about redshirting on the plane.

Reactions: BLUEballs09
Poy is the most solid and most experience guy we have on the front line, hope he comes back.

Gonna need him going forward if UK is going to make a deep run. He's a high level defender and an adequate low post threat.

Some of our fans are overlooking his 10 points and 7 rebounds/game. That's huge, considering he can actually do things Lee and the rest of the frontcourt are incapable of.

Reactions: Jazzycat
If he's done then we are done. Honestly though I'm not shocked. This year has been screwed up from the start. This just fits right in with how our season went.

I feel terrible for Alex. I love that guy. He deserves so much better than what he's got the last 2 years. It's ashame Cal didn't apply for a medical redshirt for him last year. He doesn't have to use it but it doesn't hurt a bit to get it.
Why don't you take a break and root for another team for awhile, if not forever? Screwed up from the start? 22-6 and first place in the SEC. You don't get 38-1 every season. Nobody ever had until last year, but you seem to be hurt that we have lost some games this year. Go sit in your dark room and cry for yourself. Me, I will continue to root hard for this young team.

If he's done then we are done. Honestly though I'm not shocked. This year has been screwed up from the start. This just fits right in with how our season went.

I feel terrible for Alex. I love that guy. He deserves so much better than what he's got the last 2 years. It's ashame Cal didn't apply for a medical redshirt for him last year. He doesn't have to use it but it doesn't hurt a bit to get it.
You don't apply for a medical redshirt until AFTER your final year of eligibility . Cal could still do it if Alex wanted it .

ADVERTISEMENT