ADVERTISEMENT

MJ on Poythress

How the hell have we lost two guys to injury warm-ups this year?
I have wondered about this as well,one would think that is about the last place to get injured.If you were coaching a 3rd grade little league team you would have to watch them to see they didn't do something goofy to get hurt but college players should be able to get thru warm-ups without hurting themselves

Losing Poy for the year and relying on Willis - what would that mean?

On the defensive side, losing Poy would mean a lot, but isn't devastating. Poy is clearly the better athlete and defender. Even when Poy disappears, he remains pretty solid on defense. Willis has been playing with more confidence on D and is rebounding better, but isn't in the same class as a determined Poy. The net result if we lose Poy is negative, but the gap is less now than it would have been a month or so ago.

On the offensive side, when factoring in Poy's disappearing acts and inconsistency, and with Willis playing as he has as of late, the net result is a positive for the offense. Willis has a much better handle, makes much quicker decisions, is a good outlet passer and can spread the floor and pull out bigs with his shooting ability. Poy can't do any of these things nearly as well.

The question is, what does this mean for wins and losses? If Poy was more consistent, I would say losing him for the season would be a net negative. But when factoring in his inconsistency, which you have to do, I think we're slightly better with Willis because we know what he'll bring to the floor.

EDIT: I suppose it may make more sense now to compare and contrast Poy with Lee/Humphries.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Interesting in that you never know when it might matter. Last year, for example, I didn't think we missed Alex at all until the Wisconsin game - which was predicted by several throughout the year based on individual matchups....

Reactions: ganner918 and wcc31
It's HUGE. It puts even more pressure on the backcourt offensively. It hurts us on the glass. It hurts us with physicality on D.

Let's just hope this is a false report.

Hmmm. Interesting in that you never know when it might matter. Last year, for example, I didn't think we missed Alex at all until the Wisconsin game - which was predicted by several throughout the year based on individual matchups....

Yep. He was our only guy who could guard a big wing and/or combo forward. Killed us against Notre Dame, too, as we had no one to check Connaghton.

Reactions: ganner918
Tough blow. I think Poythress is more important to this team than many people think. And Poythress and Willis have been playing together. Poythress and Lee have been rotating at the five. So I don't think WIllis's minutes will be effected either way.

Reactions: Bigblueincincy
Yep. He was our only guy who could guard a big wing and/or combo forward. Killed us against Notre Dame, too, as we had no one to check Connaghton.
Yeah, as I was typing that it occurred to me ND was the other game where his defense would have made a difference....

This is messed ups man. Why does something like this got happen to us? I mean injuries aren't THAT common I basketball. Yet we've had several scares this year alone, and several injuries over the last few years.

We have been very fortunate under Cal injury wise as far as I'm concerned.

When Alex is playing well, he's UK's best front court defender and best scorer.

There is no spin under which losing him isn't a huge blow.

The best I can come up with: The team plays a different style, with a different emphasis without Alex. We saw that the past two games. It may not be a better style. But the chances Alex was going to play four straight A or B level games to help the team to the Final Four were small. Counting on him, and then having one of his disengaged games would have been fatal. At least this way the Cats know they are going to have to beat teams with guard play alone.
We need Alex... We would have never made the title game in 14 had it not been from some huge play(s) from poy in the NCAA tournament.

Reactions: EnglandWildcat
I have a real problem with how they have handled informing the public. It's fine if they don't give much info, but someone from the staff has said multiple times he was "fine" or would be "back soon" or "day to day". Hell Robic even said on Monday he was playing the next night. I'm not sure what the purpose of this disinformation campaign is, but I don't like it.

Beyond sick of this season-ending injury nonsense. 4th damn year in a row if this is true. So who is going to get a season-ending injury midway through the year next year? Seems inevitable at this point

Prolly safe to assume he won't play any more regular season games. I'm going to hold out hope for tournament play.

Last edited:
I have a real problem with how they have handled informing the public. It's fine if they don't give much info, but someone from the staff has said multiple times he was "fine" or would be "back soon" or "day to day". Hell Robic even said on Monday he was playing the next night. I'm not sure what the purpose of this disinformation campaign is, but I don't like it.

Feel the same way. They're a little too secretive (or not on the same page). Cal only admitted "two weeks" after the story was broke by Lemond.

I get protecting players, but Poy isn't even going to get drafted. Secondly, they will want access to all of his medical records, and they'll do their own tests, so they will find out what is wrong with him. They might also notice when he doesn't play another game that something is up. You're not going to effectively hide anything major anymore.

Not asking for a detailed account of what happened, just more honest and open answers regarding player injuries.

Reactions: loublue22
If he's done then we are done. Honestly though I'm not shocked. This year has been screwed up from the start. This just fits right in with how our season went.

I feel terrible for Alex. I love that guy. He deserves so much better than what he's got the last 2 years. It's ashame Cal didn't apply for a medical redshirt for him last year. He doesn't have to use it but it doesn't hurt a bit to get it.

We won big without Alex at home but look how we had to play to do it. We're not likely to be able to sustain that kind of 3 pt shooting especially on the road.

Wow, I hope this is either untrue or that Poythress recovers. I see Willis mentioned, but he's not particularly relevant to the issue this presents. If true, our fifth man is Lee, Skal or Hump. Scary, given ytd performance. This assumes Willis remains where he is or improves. If he regresses, we could end up in a deep dark hole.

well, this really sucks - for Alex and for us
I do have to wonder, though - is there something else going on?
Maybe I'm reading too much into things - but have wondered

Not to criticize your reading skills, but I sure hope you are wrong. Knees can heal. Other stuff can take much longer.

It might be worth slowing down on the obituaries for the season or on Alex's career. All that has been said is that there is no GUARANTEE Alex will be back. That was true the second he had a medical procedure done. I'm sure there is buzz around the team about what to do if he isn't back -- coaches would of course be preparing for the worst.
Exactly, I'm irritated that everyone is jumping to conclusions on this. I'm thinking if he was definitively out for the season, it would be announced by now. He'll probably be back at the end of the month and ready for a March run.

Are you wondering based on Robic's comment earlier in the week? I wish they wouldn't do stuff like that, because when they do, it creates room for questions

Last edited:
We don't need him we have derek Willis and were peaking at the right time. We're a final four team now......allegedly
We also have Lee and Humphries....

What have we done the last two games without him?

There are two players that we absolutely cant afford to lose and Poythress isnt one of them. You know it, I know it and the guys that make the banners know it.

Not to criticize your reading skills, but I sure hope you are wrong. Knees can heal. Other stuff can take much longer.
I do tend to read too much into stuff - and I have a hinky feeling about this situation.
I sure hope I'm wrong too; probably am - and would gladly eat crow if so

I'm going to hope that's not the case because yes we do need him. That's a blow for sure. And with some of the biggest games of the year coming up. It's frustrating for him, but for us fans as well. Murray is starting to play great, Willis is contributing, etc. Now we may lose Alex again. Man, it's been a tough season. I really hope it's not true because if it is his basketball playing days may be over.

Are you wondering based on Robic's comment earlier in the week? I wish they wouldn't do stuff like that because they do it creates room for questions
Alex is an enigma - has amazing talent and a great athletic body; but he seems so inside himself a lot of the time. Not quite part of things, ya know?
As I told Kybassfan - I'm probably reading too much into all this. My apologies if it causes unnecessary worry.

Reactions: TexKat
I do tend to read too much into stuff - and I have a hinky feeling about this situation.
I sure hope I'm wrong too; probably am - and would gladly eat crow if so

I do a really good crow. Injected, garlic, Cajun butter, deboned. Slowly smoked. Wait that's turkey.

Should work on crow too.

Kidding aside, yeah, hinky is the right word.

Alex is an enigma - has amazing talent and a great athletic body; but he seems so inside himself a lot of the time. Not quite part of things, ya know?
As I told Kybassfan - I'm probably reading too much into all this. My apologies if it causes unnecessary worry.
My original post wasn't worded very well(I tried to fix it) but the day to day,probably play tomorrow and other stuff that the coaches said then Jones says he may be done for the year makes everyone question what the situation really is and why there is such a wide range of information that seems to be out there.

Alex had been playing really well too. Thought he had started to find his consistency those last 4 games he played.

Hopefully, this is not true and Alex is able to play in the post season. We really need his defense and rebounding. Badly!

I'm not sure we can win it all without him. Unless Skal, Lee, and Humphries really step it up. We got killed on the glass Tuesday.

My original post wasn't worded very well(I tried to fix it) but the day to day,probably play tomorrow and other stuff that the coaches said then Jones says he may be done for the year makes everyone question what the situation really is and why there is such a wide range of information that seems to be out there.
yes - that's what's bothering me, and what prompted it

This is a huge blow. We lose a veteran player that was really good defensively. Our tournament hopes are going to take a hit and we are in a similar situation as 2012-2013. That team was also playing well this time of the year and were ranked 25, then we lost Noel and things went down hill. Seven games left and four are on the road but lets just see how things play out.

I do a really good crow. Injected, garlic, Cajun butter, deboned. Slowly smoked. Wait that's turkey.

Should work on crow too.

Kidding aside, yeah, hinky is the right word.
works really well with chicken too; but I'm coming to your place for Thanksgiving this year

This is a huge blow. We lose a veteran player that was really good defensively. Our tournament hopes are going to take a hit and we are in a similar situation as 2012-2013. That team was also playing well this time of the year and were ranked 25, then we lost Noel and things went down hill. Seven games left and four are on the road but lets just see how things play out.

Delusional comparison...this team is 100% going to the NCAA tourney. Noel was our best player...UK is NOT losing at Rupp and will probably win at least one on the road to go 12-6 in the SEC and have 9 losses overall heading into SEC Tourney. No way a 22-10 UK team (assuming one win in SEC) is not going dancing.

We don't need him we have derek Willis and were peaking at the right time. We're a final four team now......allegedly

We dont need him. But it sure would be nice to have him. We arent going deep without him, imo.

When Alex is playing well, he's UK's best front court defender and best scorer.

Yes....when hes playing well. Of course hes been so inconsistent, theres no way to know when those times are.

I agree with this. If for nothing else, just be honest from the beginning because it just leads to rumors, snooping around and distractions.In this day and age, everybody is digging for info and then just crazy rumors start out. It's like UK is the poor man's version of the New England Patriots when it comes to injuries.

ADVERTISEMENT