ADVERTISEMENT

MJ on Poythress

Cantwaitfor8

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 24, 2008
Stated today (just now actually) that he has "heard from some people that he may not return this season." Just throwing that out there. Not sure the reason for the secret nature of his injury. Sure, protect the kid and his NBA hopes by not acknowledging the seriousness of an injury. But, teams will have access to that information I'm certain prior to the draft... I still feel like we need Alex to be as good as this team can be.

Stated today (just now actually) that he has "heard from some people that he may not return this season." Just throwing that out there. Not sure the reason for the secret nature of his injury. Sure, protect the kid and his NBA hopes by not acknowledging the seriousness of an injury. But, teams will have access to that information I'm certain prior to the draft... I still feel like we need Alex to be as good as this team can be.
That's just Cal. He is as secretive as it gets when it comes to inuries.

I've seen no evidence from his body language that he even wants to play in the NBA. I just hope he pursues what makes him happy, whether it be basketball or a financial career. Seems like a great kid.

That he's been told there's no guarantee that Poythress will play again this season. If true that's a blow. The chance of a title this year isn't exactly high to begin with, but a deep run will probably be a lot tougher to do without him.

When Alex is playing well, he's UK's best front court defender and best scorer.

There is no spin under which losing him isn't a huge blow.

The best I can come up with: The team plays a different style, with a different emphasis without Alex. We saw that the past two games. It may not be a better style. But the chances Alex was going to play four straight A or B level games to help the team to the Final Four were small. Counting on him, and then having one of his disengaged games would have been fatal. At least this way the Cats know they are going to have to beat teams with guard play alone.

We are probably better offensively without hiim
We are probably better defensively with him.

Willis becoming better on defense just got real important now.

Reactions: yoshukai
This is messed ups man. Why does something like this got happen to us? I mean injuries aren't THAT common I basketball. Yet we've had several scares this year alone, and several injuries over the last few years.

We are probably better offensively without hiim
We are probably better defensively with him.

Willis becoming better on defense just got real important now.

As much as I dislike Alex, we are NOT, in any way better without him. Stop trying to find the silver lining. There isn't one in a situation like this. This just sucks.

Reactions: Blueaz
As much as I dislike Alex, we are NOT, in any way better without him. Stop trying to find the silver lining. There isn't one in a situation like this. This just sucks.

I disagree with that. Poy out means more minutes for other players. If those other players are better on the offensive side of the ball (and they are) then we are better offensively.

Willis is a better offensive player than Poy is.

Reactions: Uk1111 and yoshukai
Maybe being healthy for possible NBA payday taking priority over the rest of this season?

Feel so bad for him. Two years in a row. I don't remember UK having the injury bug like they have the past few years. Bowie had it worse and longer, other than that I can't think of anyone else at the moment.

pivot_kick_in_the_nuts__3_by_animatorrm.gif

I disagree with that. Poy out means more minutes for other players. If those other players are better on the offensive side of the ball (and they are) then we are better offensively.

I will take 5 more fouls from a veteran player with tournament experience any day Poythress was key in final four run two years ago.

Reactions: Bigblueincincy
This was my fear, when I heard of the injury. I just hope Alex gets better as soon as he can.

It might be worth slowing down on the obituaries for the season or on Alex's career. All that has been said is that there is no GUARANTEE Alex will be back. That was true the second he had a medical procedure done. I'm sure there is buzz around the team about what to do if he isn't back -- coaches would of course be preparing for the worst.

Why does something like this got happen to us? I mean injuries aren't THAT common I basketball. Yet we've had several scares this year alone, and several injuries over the last few years.

This post is just silly. Yes, injuries actually are that common, and NO, injuries don't happen to us any more than they do most other schools. The gods of fate are not out to get UK.

Funny thing is I remember Cal's first three years here the prevailing narrative was how incredibly lucky we were that we never seemed to have devastating injuries like the other schools do, and posters were wondering if that was somehow due to Cal's coaching style. Nope, it was just good luck during those years, but bad luck right now. The odds are finally catching up to us.

But, fwiw, this is very sad news if true. Feel really bad for Poy.

Reactions: Blueaz
I will take 5 more fouls from a veteran player with tournament experience any day Poythress was key in final four run two years ago.

Of course. Tho the foul comment is more about the defensive side of the ball.

I don't think there's any question we downgrade defensively with Willis vs Poy.

I mean it's always good to have more players.

There is no way to put a positive spin on this.

I thought it was kind of weird how they Willis kept referring to Humphries as next man up. It didn't sound like they were talking about a 2 week fill in, but more of a complete replacement.

Dangit.

Yeah Poythress was a huge factor in the 2014 run and was not there to guard Decker last year. He is by far the best inside defender on the team in my opinion. Would be a huge loss!

Poy wouldn't take minutes from Willis, he was sharing the 5 spot with Lee and Labissiere before the injury. Willis was going to play every minute he could at the 4 even before Poy went down. He is our best forward on offense, is playing with heart and hustle, and is improving on defense.

This hurts us. Poy is our best post player among a weak bunch. We needed him.

Let's hope Lee, Labissiere, and Humphries are able to step up and give us a solid rotation at the 5 spot. Our 1-4 spots are as good as anyone's, IMHO. We just have to get some production at the 5.

Poy wouldn't take minutes from Willis, he was sharing the 5 spot with Lee and Labissiere before the injury. Willis was going to play every minute he could at the 4 even before Poy went down. He is our best forward on offense, is playing with heart and hustle, and is improving on defense.

This hurts us. Poy is our best post player among a weak bunch. We needed him.

Let's hope Lee, Labissiere, and Humphries are able to step up and give us a solid rotation at the 5 spot. Our 1-4 spots are as good as anyone's, IMHO. We just have to get some production at the 5.
This. No Poy means more minutes for Lee. If that is your thing, then you are in for a treat going forward.

:chairshot: Four years in a row, including two that directly cost us a title, imo.

Have we ever found out HOW he hurt it? All of the sudden, he just wasn't playing.

:chairshot: Four years in a row, including two that directly cost us a title, imo.

Have we ever found out HOW he hurt it? All of the sudden, he just wasn't playing.

We were at the game and the rumor was spreading he did it in opening warm ups.

How the hell have we lost two guys to injury warm-ups this year?

This entire basketball season for every team has been one giant shook-up bottle of pop...as collectively crazy as I can ever remember.

Wondering...what's next, but afraid to ask.

People_RunningIntoHoleANCr200.gif

Have we played a game this year where everyone on the roster was healthy?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT