ADVERTISEMENT

Mizzou adds top 35 player Tilmon

Seems like I remember all this talk when Simmons and blakney went to LSU. Rarely does it work out that these teams are good in reality.

Returnees from an 8-24 team is considered solid?

No offense but you're really reaching on this one. They'll be better, but there will be at least 5 other teams better than them.

Your'e right....no good player was ever on a terrible club

(Signed)

Markelle Fultz

Phillips, Puryear and Barnett are what he said - solid players, that will fit nicely in a 8-9 man rotation

Every program needs guys that contribute and bring experience

(Signed)

Derek Willis
Dominique Hawkins
Mychal Mulder

Last edited:
Thank goodness. Their basketball program has been an embarrassment since moving to the SEC. Last thing the league needed was another bad basketball team.

In Missouri's first year in the conference, they were up to 7th in the AP poll at one point. They were ranked some the following year as well. If you remember, those teams had Phil Pressey, Jabari Brown, Laurence Bowers, Jordan Clarkson, and Alex Oriakhi.

Relative to the topic, I think they will be good this year. They've brought a grad transfer in as well who can shoot 3's well so it's not all freshmen along with the previously mentioned Phillips, Barnett, Puryear, and VanLeer.

Pretty amazing the SEC has three of the top six recruiting classes coming in.

Recruiting is following better overall coaching, and investment.

Kentucky is Kentucky; another superb re-load, but Alabama has added a top 4 class (with a top 5 player) to a veteran team that won 18 last year.

You can say 10 SEC teams have a shot to be substantially better this year, and could reach the post season, in some form

I think this is the year the conference makes a jump on the national stage

Your'e right....no good player was ever on a terrible club

(Signed)

Markelle Fultz

Phillips, Puryear and Barnett are what he said - solid players, that will fit nicely in a 8-9 man rotation

Every program needs guys that contribute and bring experience

(Signed)

Derek Willis
Dominique Hawkins
Mychal Mulder
Markelle Fultz is a top 5 draft pick and a one n' done. Doesn't fit your narrative.

And the three UK players you mentioned, contributed to teams who won at least 25 games in all the year they were here. Not all experience is considered quality or good.

You can say 10 SEC teams have a shot to be substantially better this year, and could reach the post season, in some form

I think this is the year the conference makes a jump on the national stage

Let's see.

Alabama will be better with the two five-stars on top of Key, Norris, Johnson, and Ingram.
Arkansas will likely start five seniors with experience and have added two four-stars. They lost Kingsley and Hannahs though.
Auburn will have a Soph year out of Harper, Heron, Purifoy, and Wiley plus they added two four-stars.
Georgia lost Frazier and possibly Maten. If he returns, they will be okay.
Florida lost Hill, Barry, Leon, and Robinson, but add Ballard and transfer Hudson to a pretty stable lineup.
LSU lost Blakeney and Victor. Wade is bringing in a couple four-stars. They won't be a good team though.
Mississippi St. will be legitimately better with their big class last year and Weatherspoon, a five-star freshman.
Missouri has been covered.
Ole Miss loses Brooks and Saiz mainly. They bring in a couple four-stars and the Memphis SG transfer. Likely similar team.
South Carolina will be a lot worse with Thornwell and Dozier leaving.
Tennessee lost Hubbs, but is bringing everyone else back and added the French guy Pons.
Texas A&M is bringing everyone back and should be top 25 with the Marquette transfer and the four-star PG Caldwell along with three other four-star recruits. On paper they may be a top 10 team. They look really complete.
Vandy will start 3 seniors and added a couple PGs. Losing Kornet will hurt, but he didn't fit as well with Drew's style of play as he did with Stallings.

I count 7 teams that will legitimately be better, but LSU has a really low floor. Arkansas, Georgia (w/Maten), Florida, Ole Miss, and Vandy will likely be similar, while USC will be much worse, but with a high floor obviously.

That's pretty exciting for the conference. Tennessee, Georgia, and Vanderbilt seem like the most likely to just collapse. I think Missouri, A&M, and Miss. St. will all be top-25 teams next year.

Markelle Fultz is a top 5 draft pick and a one n' done. Doesn't fit your narrative.

And the three UK players you mentioned, contributed to teams who won at least 25 games in all the year they were here. Not all experience is considered quality or good.

Not Fultz, but you might be surprised if you look at the Rivals ratings of Barnett and Phillips in particular

And again, you seem to miss my point, that solid players can play a role on good teams

A reason - but not the only reason, imo - Kentucky did won at least 25, were those 3 guys; they played a role as other vets at KY have in the past

Not Fultz, but you might be surprised if you look at the Rivals ratings of Barnett and Phillips in particular

And again, you seem to miss my point, that solid players can play a role on good teams

A reason - but not the only reason, imo - Kentucky did won at least 25, were those 3 guys; they played a role as other vets at KY have in the past
And again, you miss my point that not all experience is considered quality. But we'll just agree to disagree.

1. Kentucky
2. Florida
3. Alabama
4. Auburn
5. South Carolina
6. Arkansas
7. Mizzou
8. Vandy
9. Georgia
10. Tennessee
11. Miss State
12. Ole Miss
13. Texas A&M
14. LSU

It was extremely hard for me to put these teams in order. I feel like the bottom of the SEC has gotten more even and there's maybe 1 or 2 teams only that won't compete. The rest have a chance to make noise at some point.
Your selling Texas AM way to short.They will be a factor in the SEC.To ert Williams will be solid choice as player of year.They have Davis Gilder Hogg and Duane Wilson plus a strong class coming in to go with decent depth.yeah they will be a factor

Let's see.

Alabama will be better with the two five-stars on top of Key, Norris, Johnson, and Ingram.
Arkansas will likely start five seniors with experience and have added two four-stars. They lost Kingsley and Hannahs though.
Auburn will have a Soph year out of Harper, Heron, Purifoy, and Wiley plus they added two four-stars.
Georgia lost Frazier and possibly Maten. If he returns, they will be okay.
Florida lost Hill, Barry, Leon, and Robinson, but add Ballard and transfer Hudson to a pretty stable lineup.
LSU lost Blakeney and Victor. Wade is bringing in a couple four-stars. They won't be a good team though.
Mississippi St. will be legitimately better with their big class last year and Weatherspoon, a five-star freshman.
Missouri has been covered.
Ole Miss loses Brooks and Saiz mainly. They bring in a couple four-stars and the Memphis SG transfer. Likely similar team.
South Carolina will be a lot worse with Thornwell and Dozier leaving.
Tennessee lost Hubbs, but is bringing everyone else back and added the French guy Pons.
Texas A&M is bringing everyone back and should be top 25 with the Marquette transfer and the four-star PG Caldwell along with three other four-star recruits. On paper they may be a top 10 team. They look really complete.
Vandy will start 3 seniors and added a couple PGs. Losing Kornet will hurt, but he didn't fit as well with Drew's style of play as he did with Stallings.

I count 7 teams that will legitimately be better, but LSU has a really low floor. Arkansas, Georgia (w/Maten), Florida, Ole Miss, and Vandy will likely be similar, while USC will be much worse, but with a high floor obviously.

That's pretty exciting for the conference. Tennessee, Georgia, and Vanderbilt seem like the most likely to just collapse. I think Missouri, A&M, and Miss. St. will all be top-25 teams next year.
We will collapse if Maten doesn't return, but most think he will. If Fox would just run with:

1 - Tyree Crump
2 - Jordan Harris
3 - Rayshaun Hammonds
4 - Yante Maten
5 - Derek Ogbeide

We could be decent, but he won't.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT