ADVERTISEMENT

Mitch Barnhart signs new deal

That's a great question, and I'm not sure exactly what context in which you are asking but several factors were in play.

In addition to the football issues in overcoming Bassett, Tubby had just completed his 3rd straight 10 loss season. There was no doubt that people wanted Football cleaned up but basketball needed to be addressed.

Lucky for Mitch, Tubby went on to have his 2nd best season the next year before failing off.

I knew Larry Ivy pretty well back then, not to mention that both Guy and Brent Pease lived a few houses down from me. It was no secret that Mitch wanted to clean house football-wise. Guy Morriss was going to be gone no matter what. The major salary issue Guy had was for his assistants which were the least paid in the conference and we just went 7-5.

Thanks to Mitch's genius-ness we won only 10 games the next 3 years.

But this was a bit covered up by Tubby being upset by Marquette, UAB, and then losing to MSU before back to back 13 and 12 loss seasons. All of this overshadowing football in some respects.

The next 3 years Brooks was finally able to get things together without much support whatsoever from Mitch who was stuck at the time with the Billy Clyde scenario.

It can be considered that with basketball on the downswing and pressure from bball boosters Mitch may have had his hands tied. (The opposite being true during Cal and Joker)

Although Mitch handled Guy Morriss terribly as well the search for a new coach. He also eventually promoted Joker and most definitely did not aid the football program whatsoever with needed upgrades during Brooks and Phillips, while all secondary non-revenue sports saw new coaches and much more attention.

Mark Stoops actually pushed for the job himself and we had no one else beating the door down, nor was Mitch a very good salesman for FB or BB HC's obviously. Hate Jurich all you want, and its easy to do, but the guy knows how to pitch his school and convince solid coaches to come.

In my opinion, the positives of Mitch's term is based upon 2 things... the SEC money deal and Cal really wanting to come coach here.

Without those our football team would still be using a corner of the field house for a recruiting room with who knows who as a HC and I shutter to think who would be heading the bball program.

The UK athletic association has always been a bit arrogant but it went to new levels under Mitch and Sandy (who does way more than just eligibility), the unnecessary trademark wars, lies to vendors, treatment of several individuals, the absolute stupidity and ignorance regarding the internet, and the quickness of attacking anyone with attorneys as a first option with a strategy of out spending those who disagree has really caused a negative attitude to those on the administrative side of things.

I apologize for getting off topic...

Someone was hurt and they see everything through that hurt feeling filter.

He signed the extension at the right time. There’s a huge year coming up for UK football. If Stoops doesn’t jump the seven win hurdle this year he likely never will, and Kroger Field may start emptying out over the next several years.
Yeah, I think you’re exactly right. If we don’t get to at least 7 wins, the heat will be turned way up.

Reactions: crpoore
What I like about Mitch is he doesn't cave or change his plans and visions based off fans opinions. He didn't bend and even talk to Petrino, despite screams to hire him. He's stayed with Stoops through thick and thin. Anywhere there's a UK event, you'll find him there. I've run into him in NYC, Chicago and other venues and he's always approachable as possible. Good job UK, he's a dedicated man and loves his kids.

[laughing]

Never even liked Mitch. How hell do you hire Gillespie and Joker? As for now, he’s got the last laugh. His microwave fan base comment was the dumbest thing he’s ever said as AD.
Because people are soft. Who gets that butthurt over someone saying we live in a microwave society and people want instant succes? I mean do you guys need a hug or a safe space or something?

Reactions: letitrainuk
Some UK "fans" would fire him in a hot second if they could get Jurich.
Jurich's legacy
giphy.gif

Reactions: Cardsstink
Anyone that would be upset with MB being extended simply isn't a fan of our sports program. We are seeing better results and facilities in every sport. This is the best overall state I remember in my lifetime from top to bottom.

Ah...but as some will point out, he's no Tom Jurich.

Kentucky signs Mitch to new deal through 2023.
The new deal will go into effect on Sunday at the start of the new fiscal year and will see Barnhart make a new base salary of $925,000. Bonuses should push that over the seven-figure mark and the base will rise to as much as $1.175 million in the final year.

Deserved... Well done Mitch.

Reactions: Jazzycat
We have the 2nd ranked team in basketball, and the 9th ranked football team in the first CFP poll. I think that speaks for itself. I’m fairly certain that’s the first tine that’s happened since well, 1977. I give Mitch some credit for that. And while that’s a lot of money, at least it’s not an insane deal like the one given Jurich.

You can't continue to hold Joker and Billy G against Mitch. Even the best AD's have hires that don't work out sometimes. Mitch is one of the best. Joker deserved the job when he got it, most everyone supported it. It didn't work out. Billy G was probably the bad hire from the jump, but he corrected it. If all the complaints you have are more than 7 years old, you're just being dumb still holding it against him.

You can't continue to hold Joker and Billy G against Mitch. Even the best AD's have hires that don't work out sometimes. Mitch is one of the best. Joker deserved the job when he got it, most everyone supported it. It didn't work out. Billy G was probably the bad hire from the jump, but he corrected it. If all the complaints you have are more than 7 years old, you're just being dumb still holding it against him.

It hurts my soul a little bit that I agree with you.

Reactions: Cindog28
I knew when I saw this thread it would bring out every dumb ass so called in fan with their idiotic responses. Mitch is the best AD out there and yes, being a good person has a hell of a lot to do with it. Just look down the highway at our red pals and see the trouble they are in because of a crooked AD. You people that don’t like him ought to keep your dumb comments to yourself because you are just showing your ignorance. Mitch is well respected across the country. Jeez.

He did bring in Cal..Wait, Nvm, he was forced to do that..Also settled for waaay less from NIKE than we should have gotten...Carry on.

At this point you have to be a total idiot, a complete hater or more likely both, to not think that Mitch has earned an extension. Overall I don't think UK athletics has ever been in better shape.

I knew when I saw this thread it would bring out every dumb ass so called in fan with their idiotic responses. Mitch is the best AD out there and yes, being a good person has a hell of a lot to do with it. Just look down the highway at our red pals and see the trouble they are in because of a crooked AD. You people that don’t like him ought to keep your dumb comments to yourself because you are just showing your ignorance. Mitch is well respected across the country. Jeez.
If anyone thinks Mitch is a bad AD,, then they're just a bunch of jackasses that cant be pleased..

Yes, go rifle team, football, and basketball, all are top 10.
Men's soccer also #3 I believe, volleyball #11 in nation, unbeaten in conference and going for their 14th straight win tonight against Florida. Can't see why anyone would hate on Mitch. Don't think UK athletics have ever been in better shape

ADVERTISEMENT