ADVERTISEMENT

Mitch Barnhart signs new deal

Baseball and women’s basketball just completely whiffed on making the post season.... and stoops is average in football. Some act like we are taking the nation by storm lol

I sure do love having the 93rd ranked defense and 101st ranked offense in NCAA football while the coach is making top 20 salary. Real business sense there....

But our football coach does have a Top 20 buyout and our women's coach was brought in as the highest paid SEC coach.

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
In all honesty we havent had the greatest of ADs.

As to the facilities, the previous ADs did not receive that cash SEC windfall either.... keep in mind we had a corner of a practice field with folding chairs for a recruiting room for several years under Mitch prior to that payday.
Believe it or not , but I have talked to Mitch Barnhart about this very thing... Law27 has laid out the scenario of of the things that have gone on building wise over the last 20 years. Administrations priorities were much different than what we as fans wanted... Their criteria was the UK hospital, UK dormitories, and bringing the university into the 21st century for its students... You are right in a sense, Mitch Barnhart and the athletics department had to wait their turn and and now it's their time and and that is why you are now seeing an upsurge of athletic facilities all across campus. It's It's that simple.

Last edited:
Believe it or not , but I have talked to Mitch Barnhart about this very thing... Law27 has laid out to scenario of of the things that have gone on building wise over the last 20 years. Administrations priorities were much different than what we exported fans wanted... Third criteria was the UK hospital, UK dormitories, and bringing the university into the 21st century for its students... You are right in a sense, Mitch Barnhart and the athletics department had to wait their turn and and now it their time and and that is why you you are now seeing an upsurge of athletic facilities all across campus. It's It's that simple

SEC money didnt go to any hospitals.

And prior to that windfall, athletics gave money to the college each year, so I'm not buying that story from Mitch.

The group that had to wait their turn was the number one revenue generator...football.

The recruiting room was a joke and this is a huge reason why the rift between Brooks and Mitch arose... no reason to avoid basic football upgrades.

But our football coach does have a Top 20 buyout and our women's coach was brought in as the highest paid SEC coach.
BP if you check all of my post and read this is my biggest flaw with Mitch Barnhart... It is totally stupid the way he negotiates coaches contracts that are not deserved and the contracts are the two coaches that you mentioned are totally stupid.

Reactions: brianpoe
Not really sure what side to believe, I mean if everything that posters like brianpoe and morgusky say is true, I feel like that means MB wouldn’t be here anymore and not getting a five year extension lol. Some really powerful people have to feel like he is doing something right, and I assume it would be boosters no?

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Not really sure what side to believe, I mean if everything that posters like brianpoe and morgusky say is true, I feel like that means MB wouldn’t be here anymore and not getting a five year extension lol. Some really powerful people have to feel like he is doing something right, and I assume it would be boosters no?

Again, some have not been happy with Mitch's big decisions but if you have read all of my posts, my point is he wasnt very well liked for a number of reasons.

This doesnt mean there is a push to get him fired.

Other than those you mentioned there is no arguing that Guy didnt like him, Brooks became very agitated with him, Tubby didnt like him and not sure Cal ever has...

Brian, people just don’t understand that u have an insight into the inner workings of the AD department that hardly any will ever have. I respect that shit. You’ve been thru it.

Last edited:
Again, some have not been happy with Mitch's big decisions but if you have read all of my posts, my point is he wasnt very well liked for a number of reasons.

This doesnt mean there is a push to get him fired.

Other than those you mentioned there is no arguing that Guy didnt like him, Brooks became very agitated with him, Tubby didnt like him and not sure Cal ever has...

Eh, coaches not liking him is no big deal to me, it just seems like employees not liking their boss. I mean, unless Cal or another big time guy who coaches here comes out and say I’m leaving because of the people in charge I’ll see it as more of a big deal.

And if true he is not very well like then he must be doing a pretty good job somehow right? I mean you don’t give a guy a five year extension if you don’t like him and he is doing a bad job???

I’m looking at this from outside perspective, yes there are probably things going on inside I have no clue about and Mitch is probably a jackass in person. But UK athletics right now is looking pretty good, and that’s all I really care about....

Cheers...

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Eh, coaches not liking him is no big deal to me, it just seems like employees not liking their boss. I mean, unless Cal or another big time guy who coaches here comes out and say I’m leaving because of the people in charge I’ll see it as more of a big deal.

And if true he is not very well like then he must be doing a pretty good job somehow right? I mean you don’t give a guy a five year extension if you don’t like him and he is doing a bad job???

I’m looking at this from outside perspective, yes there are probably things going on inside I have no clue about and Mitch is probably a jackass in person. But UK athletics right now is looking pretty good, and that’s all I really care about....

Cheers...

I totally respect your opinion.

Reactions: BIGBLUE402
It's not only debatable you are totally wrong.

But that's ok I've been wrong before and didn't know it. You're good.

It's ok. You're young, and haven't been around long enough to have seen the shit shows that previous athletic directors at UK have put on like some of us have.

Reactions: morgousky
In all honesty we havent had the greatest of ADs.

As to the facilities, the previous ADs did not receive that cash SEC windfall either.... keep in mind we had a corner of a practice field with folding chairs for a recruiting room for several years under Mitch prior to that payday.

I doubt the $45million or however much from the SEC covers even the operating cost of the athletic department for the year, factoring in all coaches' and employees' salaries, team travel, food, and the other expenses... Let alone the hundreds of millions in fields and facilities.

Well...right off the top of my head, I'll give you legendary Alabama AD Mal Moore. Moore hired Dennis Franchione, Mike ("It's rollin' baby, it's rollin") Price, Mike Shula and finally Nick Saban for football, and hired Mark Gott-Fired and Anthony Grant for basketball. I suppose one out of six isn't bad. In addition, under Moore, Alabama football was hit with major violations, and in 2009, had 16 athletics programs (including football and basketball) placed on 3 years probation for misuse of free textbooks obtained by student athletes, who IIRC gave/sold them to other students. Yet Mal Moore is a legend at Bama.

How about Jeremy Foley at Florida? Hired three football coaches in Ron Zook, Urban Meyer, and Will Moosechump. They were really good with Meyer, but he ran a renegade program while Foley turned a blind eye. At any rate, he also hire Billy D and Mike White. That's 3 out of 5 for Foley, and he was regarded as one of the top ADs in the country.

That's two off the top of my head that have had at least 2 bad hires, yet are considered to be legendary athletic directors. I'm guessing if you wanted to do the work, you can find a lot of athletic directors who have survived at least two bad hires.
Do we need to compare the success of our athletic department with Florida’s under foley? Mitch has Coach cal and some cheerleading championships which matter about as much as the rifle team

BTW, Mitch Barnhart is the best UK athletics director in my over 50 years of following UK. This is fact, and isn't debatable by anyone.

Even assuming that's true, that's still like being the tallest midget in the room. Being better than prior AD's at Kentucky isn't exactly a high bar to hurdle.

Barnhart is average at best.

Do we need to compare the success of our athletic department with Florida’s under foley? Mitch has Coach cal and some cheerleading championships which matter about as much as the rifle team
Plus Kentucky has the advantage of being a state chock full of freak athletes, that's why they say Kentucky speed.

Who would you put at the top?
This is a simple question but there is zero chance it gets answered. I'm starting to see a pattern. They make ridiculous claims, get asked a simple question about it, then they deflect or hide, never answer.

Just pointing out the ridiculousness of comparing Florida athletics to UK athletics on a success level.
I didn’t bring Florida up another poster did when comparing coaching hires. Foley had championships in multiple major sports. Mitch had a committee force feed him cal and that’s the only major championship or anything close to it under mitch’s Watch

Reactions: morgousky
Even assuming that's true, that's still like being the tallest midget in the room. Being better than prior AD's at Kentucky isn't exactly a high bar to hurdle.

If Cal had not wanted this job so bad Mitch would probably be gone by now. If he would have had to hire a coach we would more than likely been SOL

I have never claimed that he had a high bar to clear. I only claimed that he is the best UK athletic director of my lifetime, and that is a fact that can't be debated by anyone.

You stated that few athletic directors survived 2 bad hires. I pointed out Foley as having 2, and Mal Moore going 1 for 6.

I didn’t bring Florida up another poster did when comparing coaching hires. Foley had championships in multiple major sports. Mitch had a committee force feed him cal and that’s the only major championship or anything close to it under mitch’s Watch
What committee force fed him Cal? There's always an unnamed committee, unnamed booster, or unnamed something, but when asked specifics of all these people you're so sure about, you cant answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: GonzoCat90
Look, we can agree or disagree about Mitch, the bottom line is he’s going to be the AD for at least the next six years. Let’s all hope things go well. The powers that be obviously think he’s doing a good job, and their opinions are the only ones that actually matter.
Well said Tony

Reactions: kev69
A lot of you snowflakes (Like ~Geyser Sogay~) just cannot accept the fact that FOOTBALL is king, and Mitch did d1ck for football for years. Only after he had SECN $$$$. He even tried to keep his lil buddy Joker in tow and accused the fans of being racists when we forced his hand. That's just as bad as Turtleneck hiring family imo.

The only college sports that more than 30 people pay attention to are as follows:

Football

POWER GAP

basketball

Mitch was forced to hire Cal and forced to fire the Joke and gave Stoops a ridiculous extension for signing a couple 3 star recruits and beating south carolina. Mitch is a sheet tier AD plain and simple.

What committee force fed him Cal? There always an unnamed committee, unnamed booster, or unnamed something, but when asked specifics of all these people you're so sure about, you cant answer.
I don’t think stuff like that is made official but there was a group of people close to the program that put together the short list and ultimately decided on Cal. I know you remember this because you’ve been around awhile but that would go against your argument

Don't hate u Tony, but your love for Mitch is CRINGE

-Cheers
To be honest, after listening to arguments from both sides, especially from Morg and Poetax, who both have information from the inside of the Athlectic Department, I’m starting to think that maybe we could do much better than Barnhart. Some may call this flip flopping, but I call it learning more information that is the opposite of information that I originally formed my opinion on.

What committee force fed him Cal? There always an unnamed committee, unnamed booster, or unnamed something, but when asked specifics of all these people you're so sure about, you cant answer.

:rolleyes:

Mike Pratt was the public mouthpiece for it, and Matt Jones reported on this pretty much every week during that time.It wasn't a secret. A group of prominent UK basketball people, lead by Mike Pratt, brought Cal here. RJ Corman had to fly him into Lexington....

...because Cal and Mitch don't work together. Peevy is the basketball AD, and I assume a large reason why Cal is here right now.

MJ has also hinted and said that he doesn't know if Cal will stay here once Peevy leaves.

MITCH HIRED FN BILLY GILLISPIE. I doubt there's been a worse hire in the history of college athletics, considering we are the top basketball program of all time. So why in the world would you be shocked that the greatest basketball program of all time came together and took control of hiring the next coach of the greatest college program of all time - and they hired one of the greatest coaches of all time, a coach the sitting AD would not even consider hiring. I mean, Mitch is a lucky man. A very blessed guy. And we're lucky to have him AND Dwayne Peevy because it's worked out very well for our University and basketball program.

I don't think Cal answers to many at UK and why would/should he? What does he need that he dosen't get?

I don’t think stuff like that is made official but there was a group of people close to the program that put together the short list and ultimately decided on Cal. I know you remember this because you’ve been around awhile but that would go against your argument
A group of people close to the program? Do these group of people have names? Why so vague?

I thought after using a search firm to hire Gillispie MB recruited Mike Pratt and Rob Mullens to do the search in house with Todd. One of Pratts friends who is also friends with Cal called Pratt and let him know the he was interested in the job. Since Dr. Todd wouldn't even consider Cal 2 years earlier, the plan was to schedule an interview in Chicago with Todd, MB, Pratt, and Mullens to convince Todd. The rest is history. Now where am I wrong, what committee or booster forced this as you guys say, and why weren't they involved with the interview in Chicago?

Mitch can kiss my ass. Because of his typically tone-deaf short-sighted "pick your seats based on points" system and a recent transferring of basketball tickets in our family, we are most likely going to lose the seats we have had since Rupp opened. So he sucks and can get pumped.

ADVERTISEMENT