ADVERTISEMENT

Minimalism

I'm not as much of a minimalist as I would like to be but I have no problems donating or throwing away something if I don't think it's worth the trouble to sell. Probably grew out of my habitat growing up. Parents aren't what I would call a hoarder but my mom especially is very reluctant to get rid of something until she tries to sell it, sometimes trying multiple times. And most of this stuff isn't going to fetch more than a few bucks at a yard sale if even that much.

I'm not as much of a minimalist as I would like to be but I have no problems donating or throwing away something if I don't think it's worth the trouble to sell. Probably grew out of my habitat growing up. Parents aren't what I would call a hoarder but my mom especially is very reluctant to get rid of something until she tries to sell it, sometimes trying multiple times. And most of this stuff isn't going to fetch more than a few bucks at a yard sale if even that much.
See I'm the same way. My first inclination is to sell it. Second is to donate. I have big problems throwing things away.

Reactions: 78Gooses
See I'm the same way. My first inclination is to sell it. Second is to donate. I have big problems throwing things away.
Problem is, she just assumes because she paid something for it, it's going to sell for something. No, actually most stuff is going to be junk that others don't want unless you're buying the major name brands for that type of product.

I was trying to throw away some of the stuff I still had back home with them. She was like "oh you can probably sell that." Go on eBay and I'd get like $5 if I was lucky. One you take out the fees and the hassle of selling it, it's not even worth the damn trouble.

I'll sell something if it's worth something. Chances are it isn't.

Reactions: ukfbfan
My wife is because her mother is the worst I have ever seen but, I will give something she stored in the extra shop about 2 years then on a day off load up the truck and take it to the dump. I do this and she will not notice for a long tine.

I hoard nuts, bolts, fasteners in general. Pop rivets, threaded inserts, self-tapping machine screws, cam-locks... Organized bins full of them. More than I'll ever use or need. Anything that could save me a trip to Lowes when I'm trying to work on something gets saved. 10mm bolts are worth more than gold sometimes. If I need 5 of any random hardware, I'll buy 10 just to have them if I need to replace them. You know the blister packs full of extra hardware you get when you buy cheap furniture or whatever else that needs assy? I break that shit down and assimilate the contents into my bins. If something breaks and I can't fix it, I scrap it for hardware. It's like an addiction and I'm only like that with hardware.

With the final kid getting older and not needing toys everywhere, I've slowly started to purge the house of 'stuff'. It's a nice feeling to see the floor and actual spaces along the wall.

My parents were children during the Depression. They appreciate, organize, maintain and repair what they have. On the other hand, they wanted us kids to have more than they did. I’m a minimalist at heart but my wife is sentimental, so all the shitty gifts just keep piling up only to get wet in the basement.

My wife says I have trouble getting rid of old t-shirts. I asked her to define 'old' and she informed me that this was the problem.

I threw out my Sonny & Wimp Show t-shirt 3 years ago and damn if that thing wouldn't be worth tons of Twitter cred right now. Never again.

-1880's? I grew up in the 1980's...it was fantastic.

-i try to acquire higher quality items as opposed to buying lots of cheap stuff. I collected baseball cards/records when i was a kid. I still have to fight the urge to collect.

tumblr_lusdzbiSZo1qesz9w.gif

I has it.

I have pared everything down after last move. I can carry everything I have (+/-) with my 3/4 ton. I've got two small boats, one I tow the other goes topside. I use the tow boat as a trailer for some of my shit. Books, tools, and the armory are the heaviest payloads I keep. Dogs, fishing and hunting gear take priority. Furniture and appliances are things I get when I arrive and toss (donate) when I leave someplace. I might start accumulating more now; I plan to die here, hopefully not before 40 years though. BTW I built my own coffin.

ADVERTISEMENT