ADVERTISEMENT

mike leach getting spanked....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I don't mind Leach. He's a "good" football coach and can be entertaining at times, but he's probably in the best fit possible right now. IIRC, the only school who gave him more than a glance after he was fired at TTU was Maryland. He's a quirky/strange dude who was a PITA for his bosses at TTU, and I'm guessing that he hasn't been much better at WSU, but they are willing to go along with it. Generally, most people aren't too keen on hiring someone who has sued their former employer and has a reputation of being a PITA to work with.

While he can come up with some funny quips, he can also be a complete jerk when questioned after a loss. Asked last night about his career record of 3-9 (3-13 if you include bowls AND regular season) in season opening and season ending games at WSU, and if there was a problem with preparation, he simply said he wasn't answering that question.

Definitely agree about the rep of being difficult at times. I'm sure this is the main reason he's not on the top of the Xmas list for ADs. If we were UF or FSU, no way. We wouldn't have to deal with it. But UK can't be as selective. MB should earn his money and deal with him - or better yet, hire an AD to deal with him like he did with Cal while he can focus on the rifle team.

As far as being a jerk - that's most coaches. Especially successful ones. And I don't think he was being a jerk for saying he's not answering that question directly after a loss.

Stoops is here for the next few years barring any NCAA trouble or morality issues. Hoping for the best or possibly even MB to step down prior to the change so we have a shot of thinking outside the box.

Reactions: Wall Knight Teague
Season 6 has come and gone in Pullman and Leach finishes unranked for the 6th season in a row. With Stoops finishing up his 5th year, here are the regular season records of Leach and Stoops after 5 years at their respective schools:

Leach: 28 - 32
Stoops: 26 - 34

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Season 6 has come and gone in Pullman and Leach finishes unranked for the 6th season in a row. With Stoops finishing up his 5th year, here are the regular season records of Leach and Stoops after 5 years at their respective schools:

Years 4 and 5 (after both coaches had a majority of their own players)

Leach: 17-9 (been ranked in the top 25 multiple times)
"We're just getting started, bro": 14-12 (still waiting to crack the top 25 as HC).

Leach went on to win 9 again this year which puts him at 26-13 the past 3 years. We'll see if Stoops can go 12-1 next year to match his 3 year record.

Leach has had success. SOMETIMES I think he forgets what comes first, him or the program. Fans often have selective memory....a Wikkisearch on Leach shows the man is just about as fond of filing lawsuits as he is coaching football. AND Grumpy is correct, the 'woodshed' incident AT THE TIME damaged the possibility of a hire.
Leach is what he is...a good coach that will likely never be at UK.

Some of us see the inevitable before others. If this is phase 1, I fear 2 and 3 if W's are expected to increase. But also, some of us realize we could be wrong and leave the door cracked.

Not sure what I've said that's publically known to be untrue? Please enlightening me, because again, I'm not afraid to admit fault.

People saw the “inevitable” with Brooks as well. They were slapped silly wrong.

But, even if you are right, it would be lunacy to fire Stoops now. The negatives of such a move greatly outweigh any perceived positives.

Leach has had success. SOMETIMES I think he forgets what comes first, him or the program. Fans often have selective memory....a Wikkisearch on Leach shows the man is just about as fond of filing lawsuits as he is coaching football. AND Grumpy is correct, the 'woodshed' incident AT THE TIME damaged the possibility of a hire.
Leach is what he is...a good coach that will likely never be at UK.

Agreed he will never be at UK as long as Barney is the puppet in charge. However, disagree with his fondness of law suits. It pertains to one university over one incident.

The woodshed incident is in question as the kid involved was a malcontent with a hot shot daddy. There are many who believe the kid embellished the situation or outright lied. And the lawsuit is because he felt he was wrongly fired. I think most of us in his shoes would have done the same thing to protect a multi-million dollar contract.

"We're just getting started, bro": 14-12 (still waiting to crack the top 25 as HC).

Leach went on to win 9 again this year which puts him at 26-13 the past 3 years. We'll see if Stoops can go 12-1 next year to match his 3 year record.
I've always said this. Leach is a good coach, but not near the coach that many on here believe him to be.

People saw the “inevitable” with Brooks as well. They were slapped silly wrong.

But, even if you are right, it would be lunacy to fire Stoops now. The negatives of such a move greatly outweigh any perceived positives.

You truly think Brooks and Stoops are anywhere close to the same situation? Brooks walked into a gutted program on probation. He was Barney's 15th choice because the clown couldn't get the other 14 guys to take the job (we should have known then his rep as a FB AD was fabricated). Guy was facing the biggest uphill battle I've seen for a UK coach - which is saying something. Half of the fanbase thought we should have just kept Mumme, another piece were sore that we didn't pay Morriss and there were fanaticals out there who thought we should have hired Cowher away from the Steelers. There were ditch Rich bumper stickers before the guy ever coached a game here.

And he did a fine job. You saw the gradual team improvement, the player improvement (e.g. coaching them up), the fire and competitiveness even though he couldn't recruit in the same stratosphere as most of the teams he was competing against.

Stoops was given the money, had the recruiting ties, all of the facility upgrades, a larger budget, ACTUAL support from the administration, the weakest schedule of my lifetime, got the blissful fan honeymoon period to do work and this is year 6?

One thing you and I agree on - we can't fire him in the next 2 years but mostly due to his bloated contract (thanks, Barney) and the fact that Barney would be the one who is hiring the next guy. But we can still vent our frustration and call out folks who are blindly supporting this guy who has shown very little to prove he's a good fit for the job. Hell, he's not even a good fit for DC.

I've always said this. Leach is a good coach, but not near the coach that many on here believe him to be.

Totally agree. He's not Saban by any stretch but my point is Stoops couldn't hold his jock with both hands and a wheel barrow.

add some gravy here: post what each got paid over that time.

You truly think Brooks and Stoops are anywhere close to the same situation? Brooks walked into a gutted program on probation. He was Barney's 15th choice because the clown couldn't get the other 14 guys to take the job (we should have known then his rep as a FB AD was fabricated). Guy was facing the biggest uphill battle I've seen for a UK coach - which is saying something. Half of the fanbase thought we should have just kept Mumme, another piece were sore that we didn't pay Morriss and there were fanaticals out there who thought we should have hired Cowher away from the Steelers. There were ditch Rich bumper stickers before the guy ever coached a game here.

And he did a fine job. You saw the gradual team improvement, the player improvement (e.g. coaching them up), the fire and competitiveness even though he couldn't recruit in the same stratosphere as most of the teams he was competing against.

Stoops was given the money, had the recruiting ties, all of the facility upgrades, a larger budget, ACTUAL support from the administration, the weakest schedule of my lifetime, got the blissful fan honeymoon period to do work and this is year 6?

One thing you and I agree on - we can't fire him in the next 2 years but mostly due to his bloated contract (thanks, Barney) and the fact that Barney would be the one who is hiring the next guy. But we can still vent our frustration and call out folks who are blindly supporting this guy who has shown very little to prove he's a good fit for the job. Hell, he's not even a good fit for DC.
Wouldn't mind him being DC keeping him away from the offense, although I did agree with going for the win at mcb...the rest I agree with.

That's pretty shocking. I had no idea Leach had a losing record after 5 years.

They also defeated BSU..Stanford and USC and finished 3-1 against teams ranked in t25 in rankings after cfb playoffs...think they might have get screwed a little???
They sucked down the stretch. That had everything to do with it. 3-4 in the last 7 games and outscored 224 - 156. They lost all 4 games by 21+ points.

They sucked down the stretch. That had everything to do with it. 3-4 in the last 7 games and outscored 224 - 156. They lost all 4 games by 21+ points.

It's amazing a coach as great as Leach would struggle in the back half of the season.

Did he get out coached in his bowl game in your opinion? It looks like he got raw dogged.
I’m no big fan of stoops, and could even maybe get on board with wishing we had Leech , however part of me sees things like tonight and other gaffes and makes me wonder if he’s really THAT much of an upgrade over Stoops?

Right .. 26th= unranked. Just pointing out that’s all the poster was saying.

Yes...also finished #26...and beat 3 teams that finished t25...tell me the next time...oh never mind

Anyways , I’m not being combative. I’m just still on the fence on if Leech would Be the upgrade we all want / expect for our football program.

Right .. 26th= unranked. Just pointing out that’s all the poster was saying.

Anyways , I’m not being combative. I’m just still on the fence on if Leech would Be the upgrade we all want / expect for our football program.
Means they were "ranked" 26th:football::smiley::sunglasses::smiley:...having a little fun, but they beat 8-13-25.

Did he get out coached in his bowl game in your opinion? It looks like he got raw dogged.
I’m no big fan of stoops, and could even maybe get on board with wishing we had Leech , however part of me sees things like tonight and other gaffes and makes me wonder if he’s really THAT much of an upgrade over Stoops?

He’s not Saban. He’s not Franklin. He’s not Chip Kelly. Not sure why everyone gets so up in arms about him being beat down by a really good MSU team. He has a system that he’s good at teaching and coaching. A lot of folks have trouble defending it but there are certain games where it won’t work and then, yes, he will get rolled.

Being substantially better than Stoops and losing some games are not mutually inclusive.

My points about Leach are 1) his overall body of work at 2 separate P5 teams show that he can take lesser talented teams and win consistently. 2. He’s probably the best coach, considering the shape we are in, that we could realistically land, who get us consistently winning 7-8 games with an occasional 9 win season.

There are much better coaches out there. But they aren’t coming to UK more then likely.

Would have loved for Stoops to have been that guy and he’s had some limited success. But with all the coaching gaffes (as you put it), horrible D and bad O, favorable schedule, it’s 6 years in and I don’t see sustained success as a realistic possibility.

Last edited:
How much of leaches success is due to how bad the pac 12 has been. Their best win USCgets beat 49-14 to Notre Dame The conference they play in goes 1-7 in bowl games. He has had moderate success the past couple years in the worst power conference since the big east dropped football.

I believe leech could very well be better coach than Stoops. Absolutely... But i also believe we could do better. Firing Stoops to obtain Leech would be almost a lateral move imo. He may do better (hopefully nothing like the curb stomping embarrassment he suffered in his bowl game ) but it may be the same?

I honestly just believe , if we are entertaining letting stoops go (hypothetical) then we would be better off getting someone else rather than Leech.

Then again, maybe Leech would take us to the promised land of 9-10 win seasons. Being unranked to end the season for the 3rd straight year , along with a middling .500 record since he took over just leads me to believe we can do better.
Yes we’re a traditional bottom feeder , but we still have the allure of being “SEC” we obviously have the $$ to throw out and we have a very passionate fan base.

Reactions: RonEJones
I believe leech could very well be better coach than Stoops. Absolutely... But i also believe we could do better. Firing Stoops to obtain Leech would be almost a lateral move imo. He may do better (hopefully nothing like the curb stomping embarrassment he suffered in his bowl game ) but it may be the same?

I honestly just believe , if we are entertaining letting stoops go (hypothetical) then we would be better off getting someone else rather than Leech.

Then again, maybe Leech would take us to the promised land of 9-10 win seasons. Being unranked to end the season for the 3rd straight year , along with a middling .500 record since he took over just leads me to believe we can do better.
Yes we’re a traditional bottom feeder , but we still have the allure of being “SEC” we obviously have the $$ to throw out and we have a very passionate fan base.

If we had a different AD, maybe we could do better but I have less faith in Barney than I do in Stoops. Especially considering the last round of hirings and looking where some much better programs fell on the food chain.

Either way, I think we both agree Leach is better. It's just whether he warrants firing Stoops over. My take is, Stoops gets one more year to show what he has. If he can't get over the hump next year, you cut your losses because it appears 2019 is going to be even worse with the upper classman we are losing (unless a few of these young guys turn out to be world beaters).

Doesn't matter if Leach is available or in consideration - he was just one option of a guy who could do better and create some hype within the fanbase. Some folks get so bent out of shape when his name is mentioned that it's actually kind of fun to sit back and watch them get rustled.

No time of possession, no points, D out on the field a ton. Oh - by the way, their best defensive player was suspended for the first half.

Again - you’re not good at trolling.

Ron telling other people they got unhinged in this thread, that’s rich.

WSU didn’t suck down the stretch? You just redefined successful finishing. If Leach was as happy as you with his finish, keep him away from Lexington.
This whole UK has sucked down the stretch is nothing but agenda driven. Our schedule has been back loaded and that isn’t even debateable.

I’m the four last seasons, we have lost to exactly three teams who hasn’t won eight games. Only one of those teams you can honestly say we are better than. 2014 at Tennessee (better than us), 2015 at Vandy (this one still hurts but road games in sec are never easy), and ole miss this year (we were pretty equal, and they made a play with three seconds left but we were very equal).

How many times have we won eight games? So how is it a collapse down the stretch when our record isn’t very good, but playing teams better than us by most of the time great margins. We have given ourselves a few chances to pull upsets (2016 uga, 2014 Louisville on road) , and have against 2016 uofl.

So in four years we have lost one game the second half of the season we on paper should of won. Major collapse for sure since stoops arrived. In 2014 the last six opponents went 55-23 with three ten plus win teams, 1 nine win team, 1 eight win team and one seven win team.

This whole UK has sucked down the stretch is nothing but agenda driven. Our schedule has been back loaded and that isn’t even debateable.

I’m the four last seasons, we have lost to exactly three teams who hasn’t won eight games. Only one of those teams you can honestly say we are better than. 2014 at Tennessee (better than us), 2015 at Vandy (this one still hurts but road games in sec are never easy), and ole miss this year (we were pretty equal, and they made a play with three seconds left but we were very equal).

How many times have we won eight games? So how is it a collapse down the stretch when our record isn’t very good, but playing teams better than us by most of the time great margins. We have given ourselves a few chances to pull upsets (2016 uga, 2014 Louisville on road) , and have against 2016 uofl.

So in four years we have lost one game the second half of the season we on paper should of won. Major collapse for sure since stoops arrived. In 2014 the last six opponents went 55-23 with three ten plus win teams, 1 nine win team, 1 eight win team and one seven win team.

It's not "who" we played down the stretch as much of "how" we played. Three of our four losses were by 4+ touchdowns. We didn't even compete against the decent teams (UofL and Miss. St.) . We are still a LONG way from being a good football program.

If we play the paper game in the SEC we might as well fold the program. We have to "upset" a few teams to ever enjoy the success that all the other teams in the SEC has somehow figured out how to pull off at least once a decade.

It was a disappointing finish for UK. I am just perplexed how UK’s finish is relevant to WSU’s finish. It’s a red herring to suggest the fan of a program that had problems cannot recognize that another program has problems. As if we need to wait for Nick Saban to comment about WSU’s finish to know whether it was good or bad. That is rich.

If a UK fan cannot say WSU finished poorly, then all of these Leach lovers should not be able to comment about Stoops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT