ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Krzyzewski, age & recruiting

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
At what point does Krzyzewski's age start to have a negative impact on Duke's recruiting ?
I mean if I'm a 2018 recruit that's a borderline one & done player. I couldn't help but think to myself if I go to Duke & If I have to stay for my soph. & maybe my junior years before I'm ready for the NBA. By then Krzyzewski will be 900 years old & odds are he won't be my coach by then.... All the hair dye in the world doesn't get around the fact that Krzyzewski is closer to 80 than he is 60.

Reactions: Zjstep01
He looks the same since 1990, he's gong no where. He looks like he can coach another 10 years. He will most likely coach for 3-4 more years however, at 74 he will call it quits.

Yeah Duke isn't recruiting at the same level UK is but still better then everybody else and will continue til K retires IMO . The issue with Duke is they have proven if you aren't a starter you ain't playing much so if they have a talented guy already at a spot , especially a big , then they ain't getting another dude at that spot who is any good. Just look at thier team now for next year . 4 guys who are one or two and done and then like 6-7 four to five year players all who will contribute nothing to next to nothing next season. UK gets 2 and sometimes 3 guys at the exact same position due to Cal's system using more players and also showing off guys in limited minutes. If you are talented you will play it doesn't matter if we have 4 guys all who play the similar position like in KNox , JV , PJ and Gabriel.

As long as he sends birthday cards for life and promises kids they will be set for life, that will work for him as long as he stays.

Yeah Duke isn't recruiting at the same level UK is but still better then everybody else and will continue til K retires IMO . The issue with Duke is they have proven if you aren't a starter you ain't playing much so if they have a talented guy already at a spot , especially a big , then they ain't getting another dude at that spot who is any good. Just look at thier team now for next year . 4 guys who are one or two and done and then like 6-7 four to five year players all who will contribute nothing to next to nothing next season. UK gets 2 and sometimes 3 guys at the exact same position due to Cal's system using more players and also showing off guys in limited minutes. If you are talented you will play it doesn't matter if we have 4 guys all who play the similar position like in KNox , JV , PJ and Gabriel.

Duke is not recruiting at the same level as UK? Are you smoking something?

He looks the same since 1990, he's gong no where. He looks like he can coach another 10 years. He will most likely coach for 3-4 more years however, at 74 he will call it quits.
He's had a growing list of health problems and it won't get better from here. I'd be shocked if he was still coaching in 3-4 years.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Wikipedia_wordmark.png

Coach K was born Feb. 1947 and will turn 71 Feb. 2018.

Duke is not recruiting at the same level as UK? Are you smoking something?
Yes they are not on our level , close but no cigar . Look at thier last 2 classes compared to ours. Hell look at every class minus the Okafor class . We are doing better then them. No one can say otherwise. Doesn't mean they aren't 2nd place but they are. The one class they have had since Cal has been at UK which might be better or just as good is the 2014 class . We got Booker , Lyles , Towns and Ulis they got Okafor , Jones , Allen and Winslow . UK's class is a tad better due to Towns and Booker both being NBA stars while Winslow and Okafor are at best good players but I am willing to concede this class can be called a tie for one reason- Duke won a title with it . Every other class UK has done noteably better . Duke is usually in 2nd but it ain't 1st .

Yes they are not on our level , close but no cigar . Look at thier last 2 classes compared to ours. Hell look at every class minus the Okafor class . We are doing better then them. No one can say otherwise. Doesn't mean they aren't 2nd place but they are. The one class they have had since Cal has been at UK which might be better or just as good is the 2014 class . We got Booker , Lyles , Towns and Ulis they got Okafor , Jones , Allen and Winslow . UK's class is a tad better due to Towns and Booker both being NBA stars while Winslow and Okafor are at best good players but I am willing to concede this class can be called a tie for one reason- Duke won a title with it . Every other class UK has done noteably better . Duke is usually in 2nd but it ain't 1st .
It doesn't even really seem that close. Okafor sucks, winslow is deece, jones will be out of the league in a couple years. Towns is a franchise cornerstone, Booker is dropping 70 bombs and Ulis put up huge numbers to close out the season. UK 2014 class >>>>> Duke 2014

Have you seen him in person since 1990? I only ask because he absolutely does not look the same. I saw him up close when we beat them couple years ago.

Which is normal. People age.

It doesn't even really seem that close. Okafor sucks, winslow is deece, jones will be out of the league in a couple years. Towns is a franchise cornerstone, Booker is dropping 70 bombs and Ulis put up huge numbers to close out the season. UK 2014 class >>>>> Duke 2014
Unfortunately they won the championship that year. Duke that year was really good at FTs, that alone won them a lot of close games

Unfortunately they won the championship that year. Duke that year was really good at FTs, that alone won them a lot of close games

You can make a pretty good argument that Okafor is one of the worst #2 picks in NBA history despite self appointed Super Genius Jay Bilas' anointing him the 2nd coming of Christ. Dude couldn't guard a decent rec league center and can't shoot 50% on FT's. Duke might've made a lot of FT's but Okafor didn't...

K looks like Hitler

Hitler Vampire. That's the name of my punk/emo/electronic duo I have with my aunt. We'll be on the patio at Cheapside Memorial Day weekend (shameless plug).

We do an incredible "Country Roads" cover. Her falsetto is incredible.

Reactions: Willy4UK
He and Pitino have so much control over their player every move and action, well you see how it holds back some of the players they get and even occasionally destroys a player here and there. Yet, they still get some players primarily from the HOF in front of the coaches names.

This day and time, the few top players these two coaches get, would be much better off going to play for some of the better younger coaches where they can have a little more freedom to be the players they really are. Where are these kids protectors not pointing this out to them? Knox's dad was on top of this. By now you would think all parents and coaches on the high school level that helps their kids with their recruiting would be keen to this by now.

No # 1 recruiting class each year.:cool2:

No #1 drafted class each year. [banana]

No # 1 team each year (or more often).:(

Priority ..........????[pfftt]

ADVERTISEMENT