ADVERTISEMENT

Mid-Season Report and Thoughts

HoptownCat93

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2015
What we did:

-We are 5-1 and they say you are what your record says your are..
-Went 5-1 against probably our hardest half of the schedule.
-Rose to the top 15
-Beat Florida...in Gainesville. A ranked Florida at that too.
-Beat a very good Mississippi State...I mean dominated them
-Continued a 5 year winning streak against and SEC opponent in SC(who happened to not be a team named Vandy)

Where we are now:

-Still in the SEC East Race
-Still ranked in the top 20
-We have a top defense in the nation
-We have a top rushing attack in the nation
-Passing game needs improvement from our JuCo QB.
-For the most part, we've avoided serious injury since game 1

What is still to come:

-Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Middle Tennessee, and Louisville. All teams that we should be big favorites
-To go along with above, we have an easier half of our schedule.
-A road game against Mizzou(beaten 3 straight) that could be the difference in a special vs. a good season.
-Georgia comes to town for what could be a battle for the SEC East.
-A chance to beat Florida, UT, and Louisville all in the same season (And all on the road)
-A chance at the first 8 win season in like 30 years
-A very good chance at a 10 win season
-Chance for a NY6 or New Year's Day Bowl Game
-A chance to play in Atlanta for the SEC Championship
-A chance to end the season ranked
-A chance to bring in the best recruiting class we've ever seen

The bye week comes at a perfect time. We needed to catch our breath after a jump start to a year like we haven't seen in a generation. A heartbreaking first loss....but now a week to get over it and then come back with a home game against an average opponent. Terry is 6 games in...and is 5-1 as a starter and has played at A&M and the Swamp...plus beat a ranked Mississippi State team too. He will only get better as his confidence grows.

We beat Mizzou....we are winning 10 games. Georgia doesn't have a high powered offense and is playing in a TOUGH stretch of games....we have a good defense and a fired up home crowd....I'm feeling the energy. Times are good and honestly....I'm not even thinking about the Duke vs. UK game next month that much...I'm all in on winning the east!

What we did:

-Rose to the top 15
-Continued a 5 year winning streak against and SEC opponent in SC(who happened to not be a team named Vandy)

Where we are now:

What is still to come:

-Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Middle Tennessee, and Louisville. All teams that we should be big favorites
-A road game against Mizzou(beaten 3 straight) that could be the difference in a special vs. a good season.
-A chance to beat Florida, UT, and Louisville all in the same season (And all on the road)

The bye week comes at a perfect time. We needed to catch our breath after a jump start to a year like we haven't seen in a generation. A heartbreaking first loss....but now a week to get over it and then come back with a home game against an average opponent. Terry is 6 games in...and is 5-1 as a starter and has played at A&M and the Swamp...plus beat a ranked Mississippi State team too. He will only get better as his confidence grows.

We beat Mizzou....we are winning 10 games. Georgia doesn't have a high powered offense and is playing in a TOUGH stretch of games....we have a good defense and a fired up home crowd....I'm feeling the energy. Times are good and honestly....I'm not even thinking about the Duke vs. UK game next month that much...I'm all in on winning the east!

I think you’re right, Missouri is the key if we’re going to get to 10 regular season wins.

Halfway home, we're giving Ole Miss a run for their money for most lopsided team in the country.

Kentucky:
Defensive Efficiency: 3rd
Offensive Efficiency: 90th

Ole Miss:
Defensive Efficiency: 112th
Offensive Efficiency: 4th

(S&P+ national rankings)

Just average offensive play from here out (granted, we've been pretty far below average to date ...) gets us easily to 10 wins.

Last edited:
Reactions: kev69
Halfway home, we're giving Ole Miss a run for their money for most lopsided team in the country.

Kentucky:

Ole Miss:

(S&P+ nationally rankings)

Just average offensive play from here out (granted, we've been pretty far below average to date ...) gets us easily to 10 wins.
Wow. I didn’t realize our offense was that bad.

Our defense is carrying too much of the burden.

Jesus Christ Eddie, get this straightened out. We’re paying you a ton of money...start earning it.

Hell, with these offensive stats, we could bring back Elliot Uzelac for half the price.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
BBOb4zM.img

Surprise Team of the Season

What we did:

-Rose to the top 15

Where we are now:

What is still to come:

Great post. Hard to argue with much of that, but with a few exceptions:

-Not sure how you think UGA doesn't have a great offense. They're loaded. Not saying they're Tua at QB with Sony Michel and Nick Chubb and Todd Gurley at RB, but they are loaded with 4 and 5 star talent. It will be VERY tough to shut them down.

-The Mizzou game is HUGE (you didn't say anything different, just emphasizing it).

-Can't take the other four easier games for granted. They're still rivals and you still have to account for the fact that we could throw in a clunker like we did against CMU. UK SHOULD win those four games, but that's why they play the games.

It may sound like an exaggeration, but With the stagnant one-dimensional offense shown in the last 3 halves, I don’t think ANY team will be an easy win.

If the passing offense becomes at least a THREAT to the defense, this team should convincingly beat everyone not named UGA or MIZZOU.

Wilson doesn’t have to be able to pass. There are other ways to open the other teams defense. However, you can’t do it if you run every play between the tackles.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

It may sound like an exaggeration, but With the stagnant one-dimensional offense shown in the last 3 halves, I don’t think ANY team will be an easy win.

If the passing offense becomes at least a THREAT to the defense, this team should convincingly beat everyone not named UGA or MIZZOU.
The A&M game was a debacle on offense, but I don’t read a lot into the second half of the South Carolina game. We had a game plan when we went up 24-3 and it worked beautifully. In the first half, before the game was decided, we scored three straight touchdowns. The offense was cookin’.

Reactions: fabcat
I don't know, maybe it's my blue tinted glasses, but I still don't understand the concern for Mizzou. Road game yeah, but when did they become better than FL or MSU or SC? Just wondering.

I don't know, maybe it's my blue tinted glasses, but I still don't understand the concern for Mizzou. Road game yeah, but when did they become better than FL or MSU or SC? Just wondering.

The main reason I say MIZZOU is likely a tougher game than the rest other than UGA is their offense is going to move the ball and score points, plus it’s a road game. In addition, they may have the DLine talent to slow the UK run game down, so the passing game is going to have to provide balance.

Mizzou has been susceptible to power running teams for 6 to 8 years, being drubbed by a decent IU team several years ago, at home, and in a year they had a winning season, IIRC.

We nipped ‘em last year at home, but a couple of their TD’s came at the expense of Darius West, who was still rusty from three years of rehab. Rewatch West’s pick and fumble recovery against A & M. He stayed deep on both plays, and is playing All-SEC ball.

I’ll be shocked if Mizzou stays w/i 10 points, and fear that Lock might emerge as sore as did USCe’s Bentley.

The main reason I say MIZZOU is likely a tougher game than the rest other than UGA is their offense is going to move the ball and score points, plus it’s a road game. In addition, they may have the DLine talent to slow the UK run game down, so the passing game is going to have to provide balance.
UKS...I wasn't pointing at you...but I've read a number of posts that keep pointing to the Mizzou game...as if it would be as tough or tougher than FL/MSU/USC...I just don't see it. Can Mizzou beat UK? Yep, but this isn't the same old UK team either. Again, I wasn't calling you out but more of me not understanding why some people think that the CATS will struggle against an 0-2 SEC Mizzou team.

What we did:

-Rose to the top 15

Where we are now:

What is still to come:

Duke isn't on our non-conference schedule. Just Middle and U6 remain. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

They are not going to move the ball and score points in the manner to which they are accustomed.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
What we did:

-Rose to the top 15

Where we are now:

What is still to come:

Like your article, but Georgia dosent have a high powered Offense? Georgia and Mizzou are both t5 in the sec averaging 43 and 39 ppg respectively. That ain't chopped liver, and if UK were doing that we'd be one of the 5 best teams in the country. We fall in at 10th in the SEC offensively. We better be able to score against both those teams.

Wow. I didn’t realize our offense was that bad.

Our defense is carrying too much of the burden.

Jesus Christ Eddie, get this straightened out. We’re paying you a ton of money...start earning it.

Hell, with these offensive stats, we could bring back Elliot Uzelac for half the price.
Sorry kev...I don't think it's EG.

Kentucky:

Ole Miss:

(S&P+ national rankings)

So Mummie ish….

What we did:

-Rose to the top 15

Where we are now:

What is still to come:

I think this is a pretty good synopsis.

Our fans should keep in mind that we are nationally ranked. That hasn’t happened around here in 11 years.

I believe in taking one game at a time.

The loss to TX A&M was a disappointment, but it was a close loss on the road in OT. Some people are making it sound like the end of the world. They must not have noticed what happened in the Swamp on Sept. 8. Maybe they were asleep that night. Maybe they slept through the month of Sept.

Surprised at those offense numbers. We've been able to do basically what we want on O up till last game. Curious how they measure efficiency. My guess is our ball control hurts us in that measurement

Surprised at those offense numbers. We've been able to do basically what we want on O up till last game. Curious how they measure efficiency. My guess is our ball control hurts us in that measurement
We dropped thirty spots on offense after changing the way we play in the A&M game. If we get back to #60 that’s 10-2.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity

Every game is different. LSU is probably better than Florida, but on that day and in that atmosphere, UF won.

I think UF is better than Mizzou, but UK caught UF at right time, UK was dialed in, UK played a great game with a great gameplan and UK won. If UK doesn't play at that level and Mizzou is "on" that day, then certainly Mizzou could win.

Reactions: JasonRDunn
What we did:

-Rose to the top 15

Where we a

What is still to come:

^^ Well done Hoptown.^^
Interesting game for Jawja tomorrow in 'Death Valley'. Think I'll know if the Dawgs are as good I think!

Last edited:
They are not going to move the ball and score points in the manner to which they are accustomed.

I hear you, but they scored 29 on UGA and 35 on USC. Are you saying that you think the Cats can hold to significantly less points than that?

If not, then the Cats offense is going to have to step up considerably. The Cats have yet to reach the 30 point plateau in an SEC this season. I just think asking the defense to hold every SEC opponent to 25 points my be asking too much...especially the most explosive offenses on the UK schedule in MIZZOU and UGA.

Right now their best receiver is out. Their 3rd best receiver is doubtful for Alabama.

When they’re at full strength, their offense is hard to stop.

Look Cat, I think we’ll win that game in Columbia, but with our miserable offense, it puts way too much pressure on the defense.

It really will be a toss up game.

Right now their best receiver is out. Their 3rd best receiver is doubtful for Alabama.

When they’re at full strength, their offense is hard to stop.

Look Cat, I think we’ll win that game in Columbia, but with our miserable offense, it puts way too much pressure on the defense.

It really will be a toss up game.

My buddy, SluggerCatfan has taken so much heat for complaining about the offense the last few years, but, you know what? He’s absolutely right about it. It needs to improve a lot.

I hear you, but they scored 29 on UGA and 35 on USC. Are you saying that you think the Cats can hold to significantly less points than that?

If not, then the Cats offense is going to have to step up considerably. The Cats have yet to reach the 30 point plateau in an SEC this season. I just think asking the defense to hold every SEC opponent to 25 points my be asking too much...especially the most explosive offenses on the UK schedule in MIZZOU and UGA.

We scored 24. Against So Carolina in the first half. So I don’t know if we will but we damn well are capable. We also only gave up 10 tonSo Carolina and they gave up 37.

As I said....UGA does not have an explosive offense. They have a solid offense...but not one that scares me.

They still should be favored over us....but I'm not scared to play them and I think we have a good chance to beat them in November.

Now....lets hope they don't put in their backup QB in against us and welll...you know the rest.

Team's with weaker defenses typically score more points simply because their offenses get more opportunities. Kentucky's offense is a clock burning style typically with longer drives. Defensively it allows opponents yards between the 20s and usually results in a stalled drive or a field goal. We can take the air out with a 2 score lead while other teams have to keep scoring. So you have to look deeper than just the scores or PPG stat.

Wilson doesn’t have to be able to pass. There are other ways to open the other teams defense. However, you can’t do it if you run every play between the tackles.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
Agree a little Willie. I too think it is possible to be somewhat one dimensional (80% run) and still move the ball but the key is you can't be one dimensional AND vanilla!

GaTech is unique in their style but the key to their offense is not just the style but the variations within the style and the tempo they play with. They are a high tempo run team.

I think if we embrace our run game but make it more up tempo and more varied we could move the ball on anybody with a limited passing game like you say. Such as . . .

Terry keeps the ball more on the read option. Utilize the jet sweep more. Build in more edge run packages for Benny and AJ (they would kill it on the stretch plays IMO the way our WR block). And most of all . . . play with a much higher tempo.
Playing with faster tempo and snapping the ball quicker gets your guys on their toes and the other guys on their heels and when you do that our power snowballs on them.

When we slow down we are not as effective against anyone period.

The schedule has played out nicely for us. Game 1 CMU was an awful showing offensively, Florida didn't respect anything we did or could do and Wilson tore them up. The following SEC games, teams showed Wilson a bunch of respect (bc of UF performance) and were afraid he could beat them pass or run...fast forward the SC 2nd half, they said screw it - all in on stopping Benny/AJ and it worked and continued to work for A&M..

That is why the 2nd half will be difficult. Our defense is top notch - our offense is a struggle and pass game is horrendous. We are 119/130 in passing yards per completion and 107/130 in yards per attempt. We have to get more out of our passing attempts.

Our record is better than most probably thought it would be at this point.Some of the teams remaining on our schedule don't appear to be as good as we thought they would be(Vandy,Middle Tenn and UL should be games where we will have to beat ourselves to lose)Missouri and UT are similar,games on the road,with enough talent to beat us if we don't bring close to our "A" game.The UGA game could be in a class by itself because of what might be on the line.

Our defense has been better than I expected but the offense hasn't been at the level I thought we might see.Wilson has shown flashes but is more of a project than I thought.I don't put all the passing issues on Wilson because our receivers lack the next gear speed overall.The special teams have played well,punting and kick coverage are both better than we have had is several years.

We have a chance for a really good or great year,if we can back up what we have done thus far one of those two will happen.Eight wins should be the minimum standard and 9+ is a reasonable expectation.

My hope is that we see more out of Wilson,Bowden,Conrad and/or one other skill position player.We know what we will get from Benny.If that happens with 1 or 2 of those guys the offense will take a step forward.I believe some form of that will happen.

Team's with weaker defenses typically score more points simply because their offenses get more opportunities. Kentucky's offense is a clock burning style typically with longer drives. Defensively it allows opponents yards between the 20s and usually results in a stalled drive or a field goal. We can take the air out with a 2 score lead while other teams have to keep scoring. So you have to look deeper than just the scores or PPG stat.

I don't disagree with you. Again, the point I was trying to make (maybe not too well) is that this defense has been tremendous, but I think good offenses like MIZZOU have the potential to score 25-30 points. Will they, I don't think so, but I like the Cats to win if the offense ups their game and puts about 25-28 on MIZZOU.

If the Cats Offense hangs around the 20 mark, 1 or 2 explosive plays makes it to easy for MIZZOU to pull the upset for my comfort.

The improvement with the defense has been remarkable. On the other hand, the lack of progress with the offense every year that Stoops has been at KY continues to be a disappointment. For what he is making, Gran has got to start producing on that side of the ball. He has not had any resemblance of a balanced offense since he has been at KY. We all know lack of QB has been the main reason but it is up to him and Hinshaw to recruit, sign, and develop the QB's which to date they have not done a great job at. Hopefully Wilson will continue to improve, but at some point something has got to give.

It will be extremely disappointing if for once in our lives KY fields a legit high level SEC defense only for the offense to de-rail what should be a special season.

I'm hoping that we develop and display a very balanced offensive attack while maintaining our very solid defense. Staying injury free and playing "intelligent" football will also go a long way to us having that special season that we all long for.

ADVERTISEMENT