ADVERTISEMENT

Mid-Major basketball

kyboy1998

All-SEC
Mar 20, 2006
We have some really solid mid-major programs now.

Gonzaga
Xavier
Wichita St.

I'd consider those three the kings of the mid-majors. I consider them the best because it isn't completely unthinkable for them to make FF or title runs.

There are several others who seem to have sustained a good on court product as well.

Creighton
Dayton
St. Mary's

To name a few. It's pretty cool and one thing I really like about college basketball.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryo72
One common denominator is junior, and senior player's! I'm NOT SAYING ANYTHING ABOUT CAL! I just like to have more than a couple than can play when needed, and then I would NOT get so uptight in MOST OF THE TOURNEY GAMES!!! GO BIG BLUE.... :okay:

Reactions: Orville Boggs
One common denominator is junior, and senior player's! I'm NOT SAYING ANYTHING ABOUT CAL! I just like to have more than a couple than can play when needed, and then I would NOT get so uptight in MOST OF THE TOURNEY GAMES!!! GO BIG BLUE.... :okay:

So you want a coach like Pitino?

The sort of manipulative freak who keeps his players around to build his own legacy?

And demands abortions from his mistresses?

At least we have a coach who cares about other people.

If you are a Kentucky fan then you've been getting uptight for tourney games long before Cal was on our sidelines.

Reactions: LordEgg
Don't really know if you can consider Butler or Gonzaga mid majors anymore. Perhaps if judging strictly by size of their fanbase or conference affiliation. Going by the success of those two teams the past ten years or so, they have had as much or more success than many so called elite level teams.

The sort of manipulative freak who keeps his players around to build his own legacy?

CapnBlubs....brad stevens Boston Celtics, Sean Miller Arizona both mid majors butler/Xavier respectable.... Pitino cesspool

CapnBlubs....brad stevens Boston Celtics, Sean Miller Arizona both mid majors butler/Xavier respectable.... Pitino cesspool

I'll be more than happy to discuss this further with you, but I honestly don't know what you meant because it was a random series of words.

Reactions: TIE543

How in the world did you draw THAT conclusion?

I guess Hawkins, Willis and Mulder don't count? That's not really a legitimate gripe this year, we have great senior leadership on this team. Dom in particular is exactly what you're talking about. That dude has seen it all (except for a title which will hopefully be remedied very soon).

Yeah. I forgot about Butler and not sure why.

I guess they aren't mid-major anymore but I still consider them that way for some reason.

These teams do still play the same sort of style as before they went major conference. They have good overall players, and good athletes, but they're not the fastest, strongest, highest jumping bunch in D1 so they have to play a bit more crafty. Look at all those teams losing on bad hero ball, and Xavier taking the lead on a cut to the rim. Early, I thought Xavier had no chance (and said so in the Thursday game thread) when I saw how outmatched their forwards were in size and athleticism. But they played great ball.

How in the world did you draw THAT conclusion?

I probably went too far with it, but it seemed like the guy was on another "I want 4 year players rant" like so many do...and the ultimate coach who selfishly keeps players for four years is Pitino.

None of the six programs the OP mentioned above are mid majors. Creighton and Xavier are in the Big East, nothing mid-major about the Big East. Dayton (A-10), Gonzaga (WCC), St Mary's (WCC) and Wichita (MVC) are in conferences with mid-majors, but they aren't mid-major programs themselves. I mean, would you consider BYU a mid-major?

NKU, EKU, WKU, Morehead, Murray, Marshall, Middle Tenn, Belmont, ETSU....those are mid-majors.

Does a conference really make a mid-major in basketball? All of those teams listed in the OP are in iffy conferences. Does that make them a mid-major? Or is it historical success? In that case, how you can argue that WKU is a mid major, when they have more success than 90% of teams in college basketball?

Short answer is this: there is no such thing as "mid major." Every team plays in the same division, and the label of "Mid major" is just a shitty way of trying to relegate teams to a "lesser status" for the benefit of "power teams."

ADVERTISEMENT