ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan State's physicality and Kentucky's ability to neutralize it.

crawfords corner

All-American
Jul 9, 2004
When you go against a Tom Izzo MSU team you generally expect them to have the physicality advantage. That advantage doesn't appear to be that big, if it exists at all, against this Kentucky team.

It starts with, and this is just me expecting him to play, starts with Oscar Tshiebwe. Oscar is not generally going to be outmuscled down in the paint. You also have guys like Wheeler, Fredrick, Toppin, Ware, and Reeves who have been under college strength and conditioning programs from years. Even Collins isn't afraid to mix it up even if its mostly still using his athleticism to get rebounds and block shots.

On top of those guys we also have our Freshmen who are all physically ready for the college game already. In fact, if you look at the guard position, Wallace, Thiero, and Livingston are 193lbs, 200lbs, and 220lbs, respectively. None of the 3 shy away from physicality either. Even Onyenso looks to have spent some time in the gym before he got to Kentucky. He's not built like a 6ft 11 pogo stick.

Or Im just putting too much stock in it. Anyway...

Should be an interesting game, but with Oscar I believe the Cats should win by 7-10. Could even be one of those first to 71 games either in regulation or OT.

Also at this point in year have to balance the court as Michigan State really loves to push for quick looks specifically early in year as it's a staple of Izzo's approach. Young players can get caught up jogging and it'll cost them.

Good test for them early-physical and tough opponent. Like what Izzo's doing with his recruiting and am a big fan of Tre Holloman who is a FR for him and is his type of player. Will be a good one for him.

They miss Max Christie. He would have been their sniper this year. Instead he has a front row seat to The Westbrick Show in Los Angeles on a nightly basis.
I'm glad they don't have him. We don't have Sharpe, and Sharpe is 3 times better.

I hope we beat State by 15+ points tonight.

Reactions: chroix
I'm thinking Cal will bring Oscar off the bench.
But either way, we are much deeper at all 5 positions than MSU is and in some cases, our bench guys are better than their starters, especially if they start Joey Hauser.
We have the talent, size and experience advantages in this game.

Michigan State is always physical for two reasons: One, Izzo recruits that way, and two, he demands his players to play that way. I'm sure their practices are bruise fests. It's a mind set. Just like Cal recruits length and athleticism and demands rim protection.

Ugo will likely get pushed all over the court. He just doesn't have enough strength yet to battle down low at the level this game will be played. But Oscar will be the great equalizer. If he's healthy, we'll hold our own.

JMO, guys.

Michigan State is always physical for two reasons: One, Izzo recruits that way, and two, he demands his players to play that way. I'm sure their practices are bruise fests. It's a mind set. Just like Cal recruits length and athleticism and demands rim protection.

Ugo will likely get pushed all over the court. He just doesn't have enough strength yet to battle down low at the level this game will be played. But Oscar will be the great equalizer. If he's healthy, we'll hold our own.

JMO, guys.
Agree. Not sure Ugo will be a factor tonight. If he is, then we are in for a great season.

Ugo may not put up an eye popping performance tonight but shot blocking talent will allow him to get at least 2. MSU scouting will be well aware of Ugo, and that will give opportunities for blocks for ware, Toppin, and Collins.

Reactions: ukfan041
I don't know about you guys. I'd like to see a repeat of the start the 2015 team had against UCLA. Has there ever been a more dominating performance against a blueblood team? It was 41-7 at the end of the first half. That'd feel pretty nice to do to the sparties.

That game was so much fun. Not for them, but man as it fun to watch.

I don't know about you guys. I'd like to see a repeat of the start the 2015 team had against UCLA. Has there ever been a more dominating performance against a blueblood team? It was 41-7 at the end of the first half. That'd feel pretty nice to do to the sparties.
IIRC we smoked the doors off KU in 2011 (AD team) and 2014 (KAT team) in the champions classic. Hope we do that same thing to MSU tonight.

Will need big games from Reeves and Frederick to win tonight. If UK hits 38% from three, they win. MSU is stronger in the paint if Oscar doesn’t play - jmo. Go Cats!

Fred Flintstone will want to slow this game to a crawl. He would be happy with the score in the 40's. Cal loves to grind. If Cal decides to crawl with Fred this could be an 80 point total game. If we just go out and play we beat the cement footed little 10'ers by 15.

That was a great game! However, I wouldn't bet my house that we'll even score 47 points tonight. Don't get me wrong - I feel sure we will. But Izzo won't want to get out and run against us tonight. His best bet is to limit our offensive opportunities and control the paint. That being said, I hope we're up 50-0 at the half, but I'll take a one point win!

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
Yeah, while I think UKO may be the better option in most games, I think this is one where we want Ware playing when Oscar needs a breather.
You can’t teach his shot blocking ability, he may have some trouble with their physicality but he will block or alter several shots. Is Oscar plays this will be the first true glimpse into how Cal is gonna rotate the 5 spot.

So frustrating that Collins and Oscar are out of their routine due to time missed. Worst time to start the season.

Even if Oscar comes back, I worry about foul trouble for him and Ugo.

Has anyone checked the current wherabouts of the Roofaree?

I’m going to believe until I see otherwise. I’m getting 2015 vibes.
I like it. I've said all offseason I think we're a dominant team from the start. Time to put that on display tonight. Would love to see us at 5-0 by the end of the week. That happens, and we've already laid a lot of the groundwork for a 1-seed. Obviously, a very long way to go, but it all starts now!

The game against Mich St is always a tough one...esp early in the season. Izzo bruise ball is an eye-opening experience for a young team. This UK team, however, should be ready for Izzo-ball. I suspect we win by 8-10.

Thru two games:
UK is hitting 51 percent of its 3s.
MSU is hitting 28 percent of its 3s.
Yes but they also played a game on an aircraft carrier (love the reason it's done but hate games played on the ships for health concerns and both teams avoided a few serious injury scares on slips that could've been ugly)

This is a game where Toppin has to step it up and play defense like he's capable. He can really neutralize Hauser or Hall if he does what he's capable of doing. Cason Wallace is going to see what big time on the ball pressure looks like but on other end will be interested to see if he draws the assignment on Tyson Walker or Hoggard.

Love that teams have some games before this event but this always kicks off the season and sets the tone for what's ahead.

Let them play 3 bigs. We'll light them up outside and if we miss Oscar will get the rebound.

Ugonna will get in foul trouble today. He's been getting away with his hands the first two outings from what I've noticed.

Hope Oscar is ready to go!

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
If one of those 3 bigs is Joey Hauser, Izzo would be making a huge mistake.

ADVERTISEMENT