ADVERTISEMENT

Meteorologists are terrible at their jobs

"Don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."

1390916815_weather_woman_hit_by_stop_sign.gif

They struggle getting weekly forecasts correct, yet we are supposed to believe these people will be right about what the weather and climate will be like 30-50 years from now.
I guess you're one of the last few climate change deniers still hanging on, despite growing evidence that this thing is real and it is accelerating. Trump admin's own reports basically said we're doomed so why not just pollute more. That is their actual strategy/talking points.

Now a report out by scientists from over 40 countries saying that we'll start to see climate change creating crisis by 2040. Sadly, many just care about winning political arguments instead of solving real problems. We have basically doomed our younger children to grow up in a world that will experience political and societal upheaval unlike anything seen in history, and it will happen relatively quickly.

It's the equivalent of NASA discovering that a world changing asteroid was going to hit Earth in 20 years and the politicians throw up their hands and say, well let's party then!

Our children will also be the last generation to be able to see a coral reef in real life.

iT TAKES GREAT DEAL OF TRAINING AND EXPERTISE TO SEE A ginormous red storm and state " hurricane coming" They are awful at what they claim to do . Awful.

Actually they are pretty good at their actual jobs. They do a great job of sensationalizing rain which attracts viewers. They are no different than any other journalists. It's not their job to report the weather correctly, it's to get viewers.

Huge news is there is lots of rain and wind is the breaking 24/7 coverage of hurricane Michael.

I agree that they do sensationalize.

Their primary job is to give you a percentage chance of weather occuring. 30% chance of rain means 70% chance it won't. But 30% isn't 0.

As far as fronts coming through and temperature predictions, they're pretty spot on.

I remember someone in here bitching about NOAA strictly because it was a government entity. Good luck sticking your finger into the wind with a Cat 4 hurricane a day or two off shore. Massive loss of life without weather forcasts.

/mild rant

It’s all computer modeling at this point...doesn’t matter who delivers the message. I’d rather look at a hot chick reading the report than any so called expert

I agree that they do sensationalize.

Their primary job is to give you a percentage chance of weather occuring. 30% chance of rain means 70% chance it won't. But 30% isn't 0.

As far as fronts coming through and temperature predictions, they're pretty spot on.

I remember someone in here bitching about NOAA strictly because it was a government entity. Good luck sticking your finger into the wind with a Cat 4 hurricane a day or two off shore. Massive loss of life without weather forcasts.

/mild rant

Agree with this 100%. They take historical data about weather patterns, jetstreams, etc. and have to forecast based on those. Slight changes - even a degree or less - can impact snow vs. freezing rain vs. rain. So things are expressed in percentages. As noted, 70% chance of no rain is pretty strong that it will be dry, but 30% of the time, with the same conditions/weather patterns it could rain. 87% of the time pocket aces will beat 2-7 off suit. But 13 times out of 100, the 2-7 off will beat the odds. That doesn't make the pocket aces player "bad at his job". Just like with the weather, sometimes it is just math.

ADVERTISEMENT