ADVERTISEMENT

Mertz looks like it’s about to be official

I find it odd that our usual reporters haven’t said anything about it. Only thing I’ve seen is a Matt Jones quote tweet. Rowland didn’t seem confident and nothing from anyone else. Not saying it isn’t happening, just find it odd. Maybe they’re all asleep.

I get it. Most weren't happy about Levis either. That worked out ok
Levis didn’t have a whole lot of game time, mertz we have seen and know what he is, he isn’t great, if he comes he deserves a shot, but with all the other options out there, I just don’t get settling for a QB this early, unless coen or the new OC wanted mertz

He wasn’t very good at Wisconsin. He has some traits and looks the part but it’s never a good sign when the team he’s leaving doesn’t care and the fans of team he’s played think it’s hilarious. We’ll see i guess.
He played for a coach who was the brains behind the offense....and was fired in large part for bad offenses

If he comes here, and if Coen follows, y'all change your tune? Esp if it is revealed like Levis that Coen identified him as someone with the tools he wants to work with.

Levis didn’t have a whole lot of game time, mertz we have seen and know what he is, he isn’t great, if he comes he deserves a shot, but with all the other options out there, I just don’t get settling for a QB this early, unless coen or the new OC wanted mertz
I believe Mertz knows who the OC is.

Reactions: Rockford
Watch this. And read the comments section.

It is tough to get excited about a junior QB who is labeled as a "bust", a "turnover waiting to happen", a "poor decision maker" and needs an OL that can hold a block for a full 30 seconds to give him time to make his reads and decide who to throw to".

He may have had a couple of good games during his career, but the overall body of work is very underwhelming. He's thrown almost as many interceptions as he has touchdowns. And he only completed about 57% of his passes this season. Even with Levis injured for half the season, he threw for several hundred more yards and has a 65%+ completion rate.

If this is the guy we end up trotting out at QB 1 next Fall, it is probably going to be a long season.

He played for a coach who was the brains behind the offense....and was fired in large part for bad offenses

If he comes here, and if Coen follows, y'all change your tune? Esp if it is revealed like Levis that Coen identified him as someone with the tools he wants to work with.
Those bad offenses didn’t start till mertz became the QB. That coach was like 52-16 before Mertz became the guy. Obviously we have to wait and see tho.

Good call. The timing seems off. Why now without a OC or QB coach? Or do we already have an OC and QB coach? Hmmm. Interesting. Love him or hate him, Matt Jones nailed this, which makes me think his reports about Coen are spot on too.

Two things about Mertz, he has good arm talent, something Coen puts a premium on. And , imo, he has good pocket presence. A lot better than Will. Makes gun slinger type mistakes with the ball, hopefully Coen can coach him out of that shit. But he does get the ball out on time though. So there’s that. We’ll see I guess.

Not ideal, but If this is Coen’s decision, I’m cool with it, if it’s Stoops, lol, let’s just say my opinion would be different.

Last edited:
Good call. The timing seems off. Why now without a OC or QB coach? Or do we already have an OC and QB coach? Hmmm. Interesting. Love him or hate him, Matt Jones nailed this, which makes me think his reports about Coen are spot on too.

Two things about Mertz, he has good arm talent, something Coen puts a premium on. And , imo, he has good pocket presence. Makes guns line type mistakes with the ball, hopefully Coen can coach him out that shit. But he does get the ball out on time though. So there’s that. We’ll see I guess.
Let’s hope, he does have arm talent, but his decision making is bad, that’s a very risky combo

ADVERTISEMENT