ADVERTISEMENT

Media keeps saying Duke has #1 class

BigKari

Senior
Apr 15, 2014
They don't. I mean we all obviously know that, but it seems like the sports media just wants the casual fan to believe Duke has surpassed Kentucky in recruiting. Rivals immediately updated their rankings to include Derryck Thornton in the 2015 class, but they have yet to include Jamal Murray. In their class rankings Murray is listed, but as a 2016 recruit and apparently he has no bearing on the team rankings. I know this really means nothing and it shouldn't frustrate me, but it does.

Uh, they had #1 last season as well & came away w/ the title.

So this isn't a first-time thing with them, as your post suggest.

Do online rankings drain the basketball ability out of our recruits? How is that even remotely applicable? You believe in voodoo?
They had 3 of the top 13 recruits in the class, one of whom was the #1 player in the class. We had the #5 and #10 recruit in the top 13, and the #10 recruit played out of position (Lyles at the 3) out of necessity.
This year, we have 3 of the top 11 recruits in the class, one of whom is the #1 player in the class.

So you don't have to worry about your rankings, we're fine.

They have an excellent class this year, no doubt. But I'd take ours all day. Ingram will be very good but I don't see him having take-over-a-game impact like Okafor last year or Skal this year and Thornton will be a step down (not a big step, but a step) from Jones. Never count out coach K; he's the best there is, but I don't see them being nearly as good as last year.

They don't. I mean we all obviously know that, but it seems like the sports media just wants the casual fan to believe Duke has surpassed Kentucky in recruiting. Rivals immediately updated their rankings to include Derryck Thornton in the 2015 class, but they have yet to include Jamal Murray. In their class rankings Murray is listed, but as a 2016 recruit and apparently he has no bearing on the team rankings. I know this really means nothing and it shouldn't frustrate me, but it does.
They do have the number one class. They have four five stars, including three guys in the top 15 in rsci. If Murray were moved up to the top 5, their average ranking is still much higher. If Matthews was closer to or still a five star we'd have an argument, but based by the rankings they still take it.

Do online rankings drain the basketball ability out of our recruits? How is that even remotely applicable? You believe in voodoo?
They had 3 of the top 13 recruits in the class, one of whom was the #1 player in the class. We had the #5 and #10 recruit in the top 13, and the #10 recruit played out of position (Lyles at the 3) out of necessity.
This year, we have 3 of the top 11 recruits in the class, one of whom is the #1 player in the class.

What are you even talking about Rhavicc? No one is worried about our class, we all know it's the number 1 class on paper and we all feel good about our chances on the court. I just think it's funny that Rivals rushes to include Thornton in their rankings equation, but still hasn't included Murray. When I say it frustrates me it doesn't mean I think about it all the time or that I lose sleep over it. It's just something I thought about, and it frustrated me.

They do have the number one class. They have four five stars, including three guys in the top 15 in rsci. If Murray were moved up to the top 5, their average ranking is still much higher. If Matthews was closer to or still a five star we'd have an argument, but based by the rankings they still take it.

BS. Our class is better. This isn't Clark Francis add all the stars up crap. We have 2 of the 3 best freshmen in basketball, not to mention Briscoe.

Getting tired of your posts, too. You never miss a chance to go against UK. Lame.

LOL no they don't . They have one elite recruit - Ingram . Briscoe , Murray and Skal are all better then the other guys they have and they have thornton who is a Matthews level player and Jeter who sucks IMO and lives way way below the rim and is only 6'8

Reactions: BigKari

They have 3 top 15 players, UK has 3 top 10 players. Do you see the flaw in your argument?

Of course, he doesn't. He's a self-loathing UK fan who can get pumped as far as I'm concerned.

Jeter's another Casey Sanders, by the way.

I don't even really care about having the #1 class. I care about people trying to feed me crap.

"Their average ranking"- lol. What a ridiculous Dookie take.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigKari
We have 3 top ten recruits, Duke doesn't! Add to this Mulder and Matthews their is no way I would trade them for Kennard.

This isn't football. In basketball, one player is disproportionately more important. Only a basketball fool would think you add'm all up and average it out. Just look at how NBA trades work.

Reactions: UKDUNK
I came up with UK ahead on 247 with UK's 577 to Dukes 567.. ESPN,, UK ahead 450 to Dukes 445,, that's without using Mulder.. And rivals,, UK 452 to Dukes 331.. Take or give a few each way there.. I guessed points for Mulder as a 4* without a ranking and Antonio for Duke as only a NR 3*..

On paper they do, in reality they don't.

Jeter is a four star at best but he gets the duke bump.

That is just a group of Duke lovers!

What do these rankings really mean? Last I looked at the end of the season they stood #1. We didn't. So what if our team was made up of what some called the greatest class ever, and 4 lottery picks. It's fools gold. It's the bottom line, and the last word that truly matter's. I don't care if our class even isn't ranked, and we're not in the preseason polls. #1 come early April is what I want.

What the hell are you babbling about...

Take a step back & re-read your original post + my response.

I like our class better too, but lets not ignore Kennard. Guy is a stud.

Uh, no they don't. Especially when you add Humphries to our class. How did you even come to your conclusion anyway? I'm still trying to figure that one out. Thanks

Well after they play, then we will be able to see which team was ranked correctly, my vote goes to UK of course[winking]

So by your logic if they had 3 guys ranked between 20-25 and we had 3 guys ranked between 10-15 plus another ranked 200 then their class would be better because their average ranking is higher. See how that doesn't really make sense.

Look at it like this. Go from top to bottom.

Skal>Ingram
Murray>Thornton
Briscoe>Jeter (who Scout has WAY too high)
Matthews<Kennard
Humphries>Weird Al Vrankovic or whatever his name is.

UK's class is just overall better.

Jeter HAD to go to Duke. No way he gets away with the constant traveling and feet shuffling anywhere else.

Reactions: brianpoe
Makes me made also if they truly updated when throrton committed, but still haven't included Murray yet! Typical, and I'm sick of it, and those saying it's not a big deal, except it is a big deal because it's one more advantage and yet another double standard for saint K!

Lol at those fans saying that Duke still has the top class with Murray, are dulisional. The only way that they're still number 1 in a ranking or 2 is only because they haven't updated Murray in our class left, and even Duke fans will admit ( at least the semi reasonable one ), will admit with Marray it's not even debatable, plus when you add Humphries it's not even debatable anymore, lol!

Yet we've got some fans buying into their ovverratted ( other than DT, and BI ) class as better than one of our top classes ever! Skal, Murray, and Briscoe will be up there with one of the best trio's ever!

UK has 6 new guys coming in and Duke has 7. It's pretty much impossible to tell from this point how that many kids will pan out. Sure we know which ones have a better chance to be great players but only time tell which ones actually do. No point arguing about it now,

Reactions: Bkocats
Don't care. Only care who has the #1 team in April.

Stuff like this irritates me. There is not a kentucky fan alive that doesn't want to be #1 at the end of the season. That is standard, but what I don't get is why people feel it necessary to post statements like this which adds to the belief that fans view kentucky basketball as title or bust. Like every season that doesn't end in a title is a failure. If that is how you truly feel, then get ready for a lot of disappointing seasons, because most of them aren't going to end with a title, even if Cal stays til he's 73. I'm disappointed every time kentucky comes up short of a title, but the only season that was disappointing was the '12-'13 NIT season.

Very rarely are we the underdog, and I like it that way.

We're the underdog in football, what, 7-8 games a year? I like being the favorite.

Saying that, the media is lazy to adapt with the changes that have gone on with recruiting. There really isn't a spring signing period; its extended all the way until class starts in the fall.

Cal absolutely has the top ranked class in the country this year. He has been working his tail off this summer. He's lying to us saying his offseason starts the day after the NBA draft. Slice leaves, and he's working harder than ever.

I'm all for having the top recruiting class in the country, and come Chicago, I expect us to be the favorite and beat Duke, no matter the location. That is a great way to start the season.

I just care about winning in November, and a possible post season rematch, and who has the better class is debatable, even though I think ours is better.

What do these rankings really mean? Last I looked at the end of the season they stood #1. We didn't. So what if our team was made up of what some called the greatest class ever, and 4 lottery picks. It's fools gold. It's the bottom line, and the last word that truly matter's. I don't care if our class even isn't ranked, and we're not in the preseason polls. #1 come early April is what I want.
It doesn't mean anything. We had the most talented team ever last year with seven going pro and still couldn't win it all. Hell, there was a big debate in mid season that we could beat an NBA team.

Having the best players isn't the only thing that guarantees a title.

ADVERTISEMENT