ADVERTISEMENT

Measurements and results from UK Pro Combine

Wishful thinking. The kid will lead this team in scoring and head to the NBA because he has a pro level jump shot already...

You'll have to show me the list of 6'5 SGs with short arms and average athleticism that were one and done.

Just as I feared....no shooters.

shooting_blank.png

Reactions: Aike
I didnt think he was the fusion offspring of SGA and Malik Monk but I didnt see a 33" vertical either
My vertical is 23”. Of course, I’m 58 years old tho. My granddaughter’s is 15”. Of course, she’s 5 years old tho! World of Discovery is quite the place.

See, I actually don't think we have any freak athletes. I mean, Richards at his height is definitely up there but everyone else is relatively...average? And before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, I'm not commenting on their skills, potential, etc etc. And yes, I acknowledge that players like Larry Bird made the game their absolute b**ch with moderate hops. That being said, we usually tend to have 2 or 3 guys with 40"+ verticals, and I swear one year we had like 5. This year our most vertically inclined player is Quickley at 37" which would be middle to bottom tier on a lot of past Cal teams.

All that having been said, I'm actually ok with it. Either Cal preferred to recruit the bounciest guys, or it was just a coincidence and we'd just out athlete everybody until we'd hit a bump in the road and lose to a team with less athletic guys who focused more on ball skills or something like Wisconsin or UNC. This year, we've got good athletes, but they're also incredibly skilled, probably because they couldn't just out jump everyone they ran into in high school like Zion Williamson or Diallo did. We have potentially our best shooting team ever with also a potential elite level defensive team 2nd only to maybe the championship team. We've abandoned the Goodwin/Young/Diallo/Lee style athletic 5 star for the Quickley/Hagans/Johnson/Herro style 5 star this year. Long story short, it looks like we have some of the least eye popping jumpers ever collected in a UK uniform yet we may have one of the best UK teams ever. I'm stoked.

I fully intend to get shat on for this but I'm awful with words so let's see where this goes lol.

Good post. As long as they win the title, I’m not really concerned with vertical jumps, bench presses, or wing spans. I heard more about wing spans last season then I ever want to again.

Some agenda posting going on here, seems to me.

I don't know yet about Herro's athleticism relative to what it takes to stick in the NBA. Can't tell yet. It was obvious early on, for example, that despite their top 5 status in a star studded class that the Harrison twins simply weren't athletic enough to live up to that, at least long term in the professional ranks. Plenty of others we've had obviously were. I will say when I saw Herro, I didn't immediately think "that guy isn't athletic enough to play in the league.".....

Some agenda posting going on here, seems to me.

I don't know yet about Herro's athleticism relative to what it takes to stick in the NBA. Can't tell yet. It was obvious early on, for example, that despite their top 5 status in a star studded class that the Harrison twins simply weren't athletic enough to live up to that, at least long term in the professional ranks. Plenty of others we've had obviously were. I will say when I saw Herro, I didn't immediately think "that guy isn't athletic enough to play in the league.".....

I haven't seen anyone say he won't stick in the NBA, just that I'd love to see a list of 6'5 two guards with average athleticism and short arms that were one and done.

Cal has recruited classes like this before. The 2010 class and 2014 class spring to mind. More skill, less freak athleticism.

I think Cal would tell you that he is looking for freak athletes with skill. Ultimately, he takes the most talented guys out there with Kentucky DNA.

Maybe his philosophy has shifted a bit, but I think Cal mostly shifts according to the players. He might seek a certain style, but he is one of the best at conforming his style to the players who want to be here.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
ADVERTISEMENT