ADVERTISEMENT

Measurements and results from UK Pro Combine

I noticed Greens measurements. He’s little, unathletic and slow. He doesn’t have a big future at the next level.

A bit surprised by some of these,is Richards bench press up quite a bit from last year? Baker seems to be well in the mix with everyone from an athletic standpoint.Travis probably could have done as many bench presses as he needed to be #1 on the team.

I thought we would have someone with 38 or 39 max vert.

I saw these earlier and was pretty floored by the speed and quickness of Jemarl Baker. He has the top measurements for some of those drills.
I was just about to post this very thing. Another site I was reading said those numbers were phenomenal and quoted Jonathan Givony of ESPN saying, "Baker’s 10.24 second finish in the lane agility ranks in the top 20 all-time in his database, which spans 20 years." That was the most surprising thing I saw. I didn't realize Baker had that kind of quickness. With all the positive reports of his shooting and now this kind of quickness, Jemarl could be a break out player and an under the radar kind of guy who can provide quick points from the bench. If these things translate well to game action, look out!

I was just about to post this very thing. Another site I was reading said those numbers were phenomenal and quoted Jonathan Givony of ESPN saying, "Baker’s 10.24 second finish in the lane agility ranks in the top 20 all-time in his database, which spans 20 years." That was the most surprising thing I saw. I didn't realize Baker had that kind of quickness. With all the positive reports of his shooting and now this kind of quickness, Jemarl could be a break out player and an under the radar kind of guy who can provide quick points from the bench. If these things translate well to game action, look out!
Nice. Would be quite nice if he turned into a unexpected weapon.

Not only do we have some freak athletes this season, we also have some very good basketball players. That’s a good combination.

See, I actually don't think we have any freak athletes. I mean, Richards at his height is definitely up there but everyone else is relatively...average? And before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, I'm not commenting on their skills, potential, etc etc. And yes, I acknowledge that players like Larry Bird made the game their absolute b**ch with moderate hops. That being said, we usually tend to have 2 or 3 guys with 40"+ verticals, and I swear one year we had like 5. This year our most vertically inclined player is Quickley at 37" which would be middle to bottom tier on a lot of past Cal teams.

All that having been said, I'm actually ok with it. Either Cal preferred to recruit the bounciest guys, or it was just a coincidence and we'd just out athlete everybody until we'd hit a bump in the road and lose to a team with less athletic guys who focused more on ball skills or something like Wisconsin or UNC. This year, we've got good athletes, but they're also incredibly skilled, probably because they couldn't just out jump everyone they ran into in high school like Zion Williamson or Diallo did. We have potentially our best shooting team ever with also a potential elite level defensive team 2nd only to maybe the championship team. We've abandoned the Goodwin/Young/Diallo/Lee style athletic 5 star for the Quickley/Hagans/Johnson/Herro style 5 star this year. Long story short, it looks like we have some of the least eye popping jumpers ever collected in a UK uniform yet we may have one of the best UK teams ever. I'm stoked.

I fully intend to get shat on for this but I'm awful with words so let's see where this goes lol.

IQ's measurements will make him some money.

Still think Herro will be here two years at least. 6'4.5 wingspan and average quickness and athleticism at the 2 guard spot isn't going to soar up draft boards.

It's also pretty amazing how consistent some of these numbers are over time.

Washington with only 7 reps on the bench press? That's surprising.
Actually it’s not. Longer arms have a much harder time on the bench. Plus he’s lost weight. But didn’t lose strength apparently which is awesome!

The stat for PJ with me was his vert. This years vertical seems accurate. I never believed he had a 43 in vert or whatever it was last year. That had to be entered wrong.

Also like Catz said I don’t see us having any freak athletes either. The closest thing is probably Richards. What I see is a team full of good, not great athletes, but that are highly skilled. That seems to mostly be the opposite of most of Cals teams and I welcome the change. Last years team was very athletic but not real skilled. We saw how that turned out.

See, I actually don't think we have any freak athletes. I mean, Richards at his height is definitely up there but everyone else is relatively...average? And before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, I'm not commenting on their skills, potential, etc etc. And yes, I acknowledge that players like Larry Bird made the game their absolute b**ch with moderate hops. That being said, we usually tend to have 2 or 3 guys with 40"+ verticals, and I swear one year we had like 5. This year our most vertically inclined player is Quickley at 37" which would be middle to bottom tier on a lot of past Cal teams.

All that having been said, I'm actually ok with it. Either Cal preferred to recruit the bounciest guys, or it was just a coincidence and we'd just out athlete everybody until we'd hit a bump in the road and lose to a team with less athletic guys who focused more on ball skills or something like Wisconsin or UNC. This year, we've got good athletes, but they're also incredibly skilled, probably because they couldn't just out jump everyone they ran into in high school like Zion Williamson or Diallo did. We have potentially our best shooting team ever with also a potential elite level defensive team 2nd only to maybe the championship team. We've abandoned the Goodwin/Young/Diallo/Lee style athletic 5 star for the Quickley/Hagans/Johnson/Herro style 5 star this year. Long story short, it looks like we have some of the least eye popping jumpers ever collected in a UK uniform yet we may have one of the best UK teams ever. I'm stoked.

I fully intend to get shat on for this but I'm awful with words so let's see where this goes lol.
That part I put in bold is the way Cal has always recruited, until last year. The thing he said after having a team without any reliable shooters was that every kid he recruited from now on was going to be able to shoot. That's code for, "We may not have as many high flyers and elite athletes, but we will be more skilled." At least that's what I understood from the change in his emphasis in recruiting. I think that's one clear reason we ended up getting a guy like Tyler Herro. In year's past, he may not have been on the radar or pursued as strongly, but this time he was.

My opinion is that your team needs to be balanced. You need great athleticism. You need a couple guys who can get you a back to the basket score. You need a couple guys who can make a three consistently. You need wing who can drive and slash. You need ball handlers who can see the floor well and make plays for others. Under Calipari, we've never had a shortage of guys who can run, jump, and dunk. The thing we've lacked on more than one team is guys who can shoot the ball consistently. What that does is it allows defenses to negate your athleticism by packing into a zone or just playing off the guys who can't shoot. It clogs the lane to keep interior players from being as good and keeps guys who can slash from having room to operate. This is why Diallo struggled last season. He couldn't make the shots consistently and neither could anyone else. Teams played off him and clogged the lane, so he didn't have room to operate. If we had even one more shooter last year, I think we had a real shot at a Final Four. We had all the other pieces.

This team appears to have all the pieces. We don't have as much elite athleticism but we do have a complete team.

That part I put in bold is the way Cal has always recruited, until last year. The thing he said after having a team without any reliable shooters was that every kid he recruited from now on was going to be able to shoot. That's code for, "We may not have as many high flyers and elite athletes, but we will be more skilled." At least that's what I understood from the change in his emphasis in recruiting. I think that's one clear reason we ended up getting a guy like Tyler Herro. In year's past, he may not have been on the radar or pursued as strongly, but this time he was.

My opinion is that your team needs to be balanced. You need great athleticism. You need a couple guys who can get you a back to the basket score. You need a couple guys who can make a three consistently. You need wing who can drive and slash. You need ball handlers who can see the floor well and make plays for others. Under Calipari, we've never had a shortage of guys who can run, jump, and dunk. The thing we've lacked on more than one team is guys who can shoot the ball consistently. What that does is it allows defenses to negate your athleticism by packing into a zone or just playing off the guys who can't shoot. It clogs the lane to keep interior players from being as good and keeps guys who can slash from having room to operate. This is why Diallo struggled last season. He couldn't make the shots consistently and neither could anyone else. Teams played off him and clogged the lane, so he didn't have room to operate. If we had even one more shooter last year, I think we had a real shot at a Final Four. We had all the other pieces.

This team appears to have all the pieces. We don't have as much elite athleticism but we do have a complete team.

Sorry Ill,

I had this gif saved but in other news sharks do... schmidt in the sea...

JNQEn.gif

:rolleyes:

Reactions: awf and IL Wildcat

Still think Herro will be here two years at least. 6'4.5 wingspan and average quickness and athleticism at the 2 guard spot isn't going to soar up draft boards.

It's odd because I did not see that coming. The way he glides around on the court and skys for rebounds and dunks, I would have had him as being near the top on our team. IQ's numbers are higher than I thought and Herro's lower. Odd how that works.

It's odd because I did not see that coming. The way he glides around on the court and skys for rebounds and dunks, I would have had him as being near the top on our team. IQ's numbers are higher than I thought and Herro's lower. Odd how that works.

Perception and expectations are funny things.

A program that has had Wall, Bledsoe, Fox, etc at PG gets Immanuel Quickley and is surprised that he might be the best athlete on the team.

But no one can believe Tyler Herro's arms aren't longer or that he isn't faster or doesn't jump higher.

Perception and expectations are funny things.

A program that has had Wall, Bledsoe, Fox, etc at PG gets Immanuel Quickley and is surprised that he might be the best athlete on the team.

But no one can believe Tyler Herro's arms aren't longer or that he isn't faster or doesn't jump higher.

I didnt think he was the fusion offspring of SGA and Malik Monk but I didnt see a 33" vertical either

Actually it’s not. Longer arms have a much harder time on the bench. Plus he’s lost weight. But didn’t lose strength apparently which is awesome!

The stat for PJ with me was his vert. This years vertical seems accurate. I never believed he had a 43 in vert or whatever it was last year. That had to be entered wrong.

Also like Catz said I don’t see us having any freak athletes either. The closest thing is probably Richards. What I see is a team full of good, not great athletes, but that are highly skilled. That seems to mostly be the opposite of most of Cals teams and I welcome the change. Last years team was very athletic but not real skilled. We saw how that turned out.

I believe u are correct about pj. I bet his vertical leap last year was 34 not 43. Likely got entered wrong and would also suggest it has improved this year due to lighter weight and greater strength. Jmo

Reactions: ZaytovenCat

Wishful thinking. The kid will lead this team in scoring and head to the NBA because he has a pro level jump shot already...

ADVERTISEMENT