ADVERTISEMENT

McGee doesn't deserve all the blame

It's hilarious that UL still paints McGee as the ultimate rogue employee. I'm sure the director of basketball operations just woke up one day and said I'm going personally bankroll some sleezy, hooker parties.

I guess it's different seeing the local media call out the players. However, what about calling out the coaching staff, athletic dept, and just the university as a whole? Something like this runs deeper than one small fish like McGee.

I also find it amusing that the media, in giving Pitino a pass, has largely ignored McGee's history, which is highly relevant. He isn't some random kid starting out that Pitino gave a chance to and was "stabbed in the back" as Louisville fans would argue. McGee played for four years under Pitino at Louisville only a year before being named as a graduate assistant, and then promoted to director of basketball ops two years later. Thus, he was trained under Pitino, in terms of how recruit and run a basketball program. He did not train under any other coaches before coming to Louisville. That tells me all I need to know. Even if Pitino didn't know specifically about the strippers/sex, he obviously cultivated an environment that at a minimum allowed it to happen and more likely incentivized it ("it" being cheating) to get results.

After the way Pitino dogged Andre McGee why wouldn't McGee tell his story? Even if he's been paid not to talk why wouldn't he tell take the hush money and then tell the story anyway?

Reactions: JoeBeeHall
After the way Pitino dogged Andre McGee why wouldn't McGee tell his story? Even if he's been paid not to talk why wouldn't he tell take the hush money and then tell the story anyway?
extralarge.jpg

It's hilarious that UL still paints McGee as the ultimate rogue employee. I'm sure the director of basketball operations just woke up one day and said I'm going personally bankroll some sleezy, hooker parties.

I guess it's different seeing the local media call out the players. However, what about calling out the coaching staff, athletic dept, and just the university as a whole? Something like this runs deeper than one small fish like McGee.
Legally, he isn't even charged. But no one is accountable. Good point about the money. We need to know what that came from.

Louisville fans play stupid when you question who paid for the party when he was already gone. They also bring up the strippers and lap dances and say "the recruits didn't know it was a violation". Well, if they don't know that being handed "bands" of cash is a violation then they aren't smart enough to make it to college in the first place. But, they ignore that simple fact. That alone is enough to bring a program down for several years anyway. Top it off with prostitutes and you have a pretty strong case for harsh penalties.

Right. It just doesn't make any sense to think McGee was the culprit behind all of this. A grad assistant like McGee doesn't have the money to go out and hire prostitutes for every player and visiting prospect. Besides that, why would a guy in his 1st significant professional job risk his career by doing something illegal, unless he was ordered to do it and given money to finance it? The true perps at UL would love to hang all of this around McGee's neck. But if all if this was just McGee's doing, then why did their University President and their entire Board have to be fired?

Reactions: Bluest Member
At least 4 years that we know of, and Pitino knew nothing?
The guy in charge of the program and nothing goes on without his knowledge?
The guy who is a control freak and will put you in a room and lambaste your performance at the end of the year?
The guy who had the keys to a restaurant after hours and had a cheap thrill with someone from his posse present?

He knew what went on at Minardi, but could not recover from it if he ever admitted it. I can't believe there isn't one UL person calling out his hypocrisy and allowing him to come up with phony responses.

He knew everything, and you can't convince me a guy with as controlling a personality as he has can come up with lame excuses and point to everyone but himself.

At least 4 years that we know of, and Pitino knew nothing?
The guy in charge of the program and nothing goes on without his knowledge?
The guy who is a control freak and will put you in a room and lambaste your performance at the end of the year?
The guy who had the keys to a restaurant after hours and had a cheap thrill with someone from his posse present?

He knew what went on at Minardi, but could not recover from it if he ever admitted it. I can't believe there isn't one UL person calling out his hypocrisy and allowing him to come up with phony responses.

He knew everything, and you can't convince me a guy with as controlling a personality as he has can come up with lame excuses and point to everyone but himself.
Pimptino had to know about it. All of it. He had someone bankroll it for him. He couldn't tolerate Cal's success at UK and was going to do anything including cheating, to try to catch up. I mean the low life got some bimbo pregnant and then paid to have his unborn child aborted- you think him paying for whores for recruits and players is beneath him? Please.

Pimptino had to know about it. All of it. He had someone bankroll it for him. He couldn't tolerate Cal's success at UK and was going to do anything including cheating, to try to catch up. I mean the low life got some bimbo pregnant and then paid to have his unborn child aborted- you think him paying for whores for recruits and players is beneath him? Please.

I want to see the forensic audit of the foundation. That should clear up where the hooker bankroll came from.

Reactions: irishcat1965
According to the accounts that I've read, the only thing missing from Minardi Hall that separated it from being a full fledged strip club, was flashing neon lights.Where is the security camera video? Aren't all visitors to dorm buildings required to be logged in for security reasons? Also, Pitino had 2 nephews living there at the time, they never said anything?

Let's not forget that the Blakeney hookup with his old man was arranged by McGee from his new gig at UMKC. Someone had to contact McGee to set it up, and if I had to put a thousand on who did it, my money would be on Rick Pitino himself.

That defines him. There is no other way to describe it. Katina even confirmed it:

"Powell also said she believes that Rick Pinto had knowledge of their dealings.

"Sure," Powell told Schoettle. "How can it be going on for four years, that many people be involved and that many people see what's going on and Rick Pitino doesn't know anything about it? You have players that are very, very loyal to Pitino. And if they thought anything was wrong or anyone was going to get in trouble, I'm pretty sure they would have gone back to report to Pitino. When I would ask Andre, "Does Pitino know about this?" he would laugh and say, "Rick knows about everything."

http://www.syracuse.com/collegebask...nt_want_information_about_prostitutes_at.html

Reactions: irishcat1965
Featherbrains love the "V" word. god, these next few months are going to be fun.

"Purvis said... (original post)
You could argue that these players were victims of Mcgee as well and should not been suspended. The NCAA worked backward to get the results they wanted. "

CardinalPoint 4232 posts
13 minutes ago
That's actually one of UL's arguments (and a very strong argument based on the facts and the relevant precedent set out in previous appeals committee findings).

UK received very severe penalties during the Sutton period when a small amount of cash was discovered being mailed to a recruit. I believe it only involved one assistant coach. It was cheating, it was against the rules, there was nothing ever shown that it involved others than a recruit and an assistant, yet Kentucky nearly got the death penalty. The UL scandal makes Kentucky's scandal look like a little baby in comparison. This involved multiple recruits, actual players on the team or came to the program, recruits at the actual college not remote, way more money being spent, sexual favors, placing teenagers in possible uncomfortable situations, ignorance of any moral standards, and UL is defending this? The Walk of Shame needs to happen. I'd prefer having someone explain to me why the Death Penalty doesn't require consideration especially with the continued lack of remorse or apology by the program.

Reactions: shep21754
If McGee was the lone rogue employee, wouldnt UofL sue him and try to press criminal charges against him, making him pay for his transgressions?

UofL has done nothing. Their anger towards him is 100 % fake, if they are made its only because he got caught.

Reactions: JoeBeeHall
ADVERTISEMENT