ADVERTISEMENT

Maxey to Kentucky

Okafor? He was a top 5 player and won a national title?
By himself no doubt.

I would argue Winslow was a bigger piece to a team that benefited greatly from a UK team that peaked early and came up just short. Luck has always been a big part of the story of the tournament and always will be unless you believe Loyola is one of the 4 best teams of 2018.

Reactions: morgousky
Have you stopped even trying to disguise your true colors? Here's a more accurate way to put it: In every service I've checked he is the SECOND rated Point Guard for 2019 -- behind only ASHTON HAGANS.

So that limited Kentucky's chance to get a higher rated point guard out of the class, wouldn't you say?

Aren't Cole Anthony and Jalen Lecque (both ranked higher than Hagans and Maxey on 247) both being recruited as point guards? I know they are listed as CG's on the recruiting services listings but I've always read the write-ups on them as point guards. Great pickup on Maxey by the way?

Edit: ESPN has Anthony and Lecque listed as point guards and Maxey as a SG.

Aren't Cole Anthony and Jalen Lecque (both ranked higher than Hagans and Maxey on 247) both being recruited as point guards? I know they are listed as CG's on the recruiting services listings but I've always read the write-ups on them as point guards. Great pickup on Maxey by the way?

Edit: ESPN has Anthony and Lecque listed as point guards and Maxey as a SG.

What kids is KU looking at buying for 2019?

great pick-up
he is an elite scorer (you can never have too many of those)

now we need to add Lecque, Carey, Wiseman and one more 4/5 type player or a 3/4 type

Reactions: Deli owl and TM2013
What kids is KU looking at buying for 2019?

At point guard? Not sure. We expect Dotson and Moore back and have Markese Jacobs (pg - 79 on 247) already committed in 2019. We're recruiting Cole Anthony and Jalen Lecque and Kira Lewis just don't know whether you want to call them point guards or combo guards. As mentioned, their playing position depends on which service you look at. If you're not Kentucky, it is too early to guess what our 2019 class will look like.

Because he isn't 6'11 or he isn't a freak athlete as a Guard; That's the only reason.

Basketball skill wise he is top 10 easy if not top 5. Booker and Murray weren't "super recruits" by the rankings either for the same reasons. Usually the high skill guys don't get the top 5 love unless they are also freakishly athletic or tall.
everything ive seen and read says Maxey is a 3 level scorer with elite athleticism. Maxey will end up top 10 imo just based on what hes doing on circuit and his complete game.

I haven’t seen a post about it on here, is everyone out partying and drunk over the commitment, per 247 sports, don’t know how to do link, to old and not computer savvy ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Last edited:
Glad Cal got this young and I hope he does indeed stay in the 19 class. I truly believe this will help UK to get Wiseman. Welcome to the BBN Tyrese Maxey .

Reactions: TexKat
The class is up but he's not the cream of the crop. If we've got some older guys to go along with him we can hang the banner. If not, I don't see him as a player (like AD) who can overcome our youth and inexperience. I'm waiting to see what the roster looks like before I pretend that this is another Wall walking through the door. Typically those guys are in fact part of the top 5 of the class. He's not and won't be imo. I think we will be really talented but potentially incredibly young. If that's going to be the case, I want Carey and Wiseman.

Don't get me wrong, I love the pickup. But I just keep in in perspective, at least to me. I want Cal to win title number 2, that's the only thing that is important to me at this point.

So what other guard is his type of a player & better in that class?

He's a middle of the road blue chip according to the sites. I think he moves up to top 10. but he's not the type of recruit that is going to change the dynamic if we just rinse and repeat the same way. He's not an MKG, AD, Cousins, Wall, etc.

I am glad he committed but to pretend we are doing anything different than we were is foolish. This is no different than getting commitments form guys like Pj Washington or Vanderbilt. They need upperclassman or transcendent talent around them if they only play one year.
Yeah, rankings are always 100% accurate. That Karl Towns kid ranked 9th out of high school just wasn't special enough.

Hoping our 2019 class is:

Lecque
Maxey
Brooks
Wiseman
Carey

Elite shooters in Maxey and Brooks on the wings with an athletic freak to break the D down in Lecque. Wiseman and Carey's reputations speak for themselves; they would obliterate anyone potential opponent on the inside.

Lecque
Maxey
Brooks
Wiseman
Carey

Elite shooters in Maxey and Brooks on the wings with an athletic freak to break the D down in Lecque. Wiseman and Carey's reputations speak for themselves; they would obliterate anyone potential opponent on the inside.

This would be fantastic

But the facts are still what they are. They didn't make a final four. They were ranked outside of the top 5, and while I understand that it's not just so cut and dry, it is still a good measuring stick for Calipari teams. His most successful teams have had great players like Randle or AD. Wall's team gets a pass because Cal didn't recruit anyone who could knock down an outside shot and of course you can lose no matter who you are. 2012 is what we're looking for, upperclassman, transcendent talent. Without many upperclassman we need the transcendent talent, like 2014. So while I like the pickup I'm still just in wait mode to see how it shakes out. Maxey alone without the top in that class would not be enough to win that title. Not unless we suddenly have a lot return, which I wouldnt bet on.

Yeah, you need great players to win. I don't disagree. But you can have great talent and have a hole in the team like you point out 2010 had. Or you can get the #2 player in the recruiting class and he can be a total flop like in 2016. In 2014 we had three of the top 6! Yes we were runner up but we struggled mightily all year and going back to what I said about narratives, we had to have a lot of bounces go our way to do it. Big shots, Louisville missing free throws when we were beat in the sweet 16. We need great talent and yeah, Maxey and Jeffries aren't a "win a title" recruiting class - yet. But they can be pieces of one. And we got the best available point guard, so that means something.

Lecque
Maxey
Brooks
Wiseman
Carey

I would like to have cockburn for some reason also

I would like to have cockburn for some reason also
Hook up with this woman, and you’ll wake up with cockburn as you urinate, I don’t think you’ll like it much.

8dbca7b031130f1be0ed076aa0d7a1af--faces-of-meth-watch-this-video.jpg

Lecque
Maxey
Brooks
Wiseman
Carey

Are you not wanting DJ Jeffries?

Reactions: Mr_GG

UK will have Jeffries/Maxey working Wiseman all summer. Hopefully James picks UK this fall. Going to be an interesting recruitment and a November Wiseman to UK commit would send a massive wave around college basketball.

I know there would be many more pieces to come, but I’m excited about the idea of Maxey and Wiseman together. What a combination if it comes together!

For those of you who seem to focus more on rankings than watching the actual skillet of the player. I've seen Coach Cal 3 different times at Maxey's games and he literally was on the edge of his chair with a smile on his face watching him.

Do you think Coach Cal would be trying to push a 17 year old kid to reclassify if he didn't think he was special? Especially when UK is deep at guard? Watch the player, not the ranking.
Agree that Maxey is special, but so is Hagans. As I and several other posters have said here a number of times, Hagans is likely to reclassify forward to 2018, while Maxey may stay in our 2019 class. These are truly outstanding classes. In March, many of our spoiled fans were insisting that Calipari has “lost his swag” and dropped off as a recruiter. LOL! Now, everyone is back on the bandwagon. A 2019 class of Jeffries, Wiseman, Maxey, Lecque (likely plus Igiehon, Brooks, or Hurt) will not stop some of our spoiled fans from complaining about Carey and Tandy, but would be 1 of Calipari’s better classes.

Reactions: Cowboys&Wildcats
For those of you who seem to focus more on rankings than watching the actual skillet of the player. I've seen Coach Cal 3 different times at Maxey's games and he literally was on the edge of his chair with a smile on his face watching him.

Do you think Coach Cal would be trying to push a 17 year old kid to reclassify if he didn't think he was special? Especially when UK is deep at guard? Watch the player, not the ranking.
Cal is not pushing him to reclassify, we need him to stay in the class of 2019. Cal knows this, the fans know this, everyone knows this. And barring unexpected attrition or hagans somehow not making it then no way in hell does maxey reclassify. We have better guards in Green, KJ, Hagans, Herro to go along with damn good guards, though not as good, in Baker and Quickly. 6 players for 3 spots. Maxey would do nothing but cause a serious logjam for next season and cal obviously knows that.

He's not the type of talent where you say screw it and have him reclassify at all costs anyways because he's that damn good. He'll be a year better and much more serviceable in 2019. Which it's no coincidence once green decided to return that the maxey reclassification stuff started going away considering we got the better option for next season, and a damn good player for the following season. Worked out for the best. Idk where you're getting this cal is pushing for a reclassification stuff (it's not from anyone following the recruiting scene that's forsure) even after maxey said he's staying in 2019 which btw, if cal was pushing for him to be 2018 he would be 2018, barring unexpected attrition that's not happening.

The reason he's staying in 2019 is because that's what cal has told him to do, the only reason he was considered for 2018 was incase of a possible green transfer and cal did his best to avoid that, and for good reason too because he's our best option between those 2 players for next season which judging by cal's actions he clearly sees it that way as well. Only way maxey reclassifies is if we lose 2/3 players in draft AND miss out on Reid and decide to occasionally go with 4 guard lineups for next season. Since we'll have 3 good big men for 2 spots it'd make sense to do so at that point if we lose out on all those big men in order to stay fresh, especially considering Richards still might not be any good next season and the unknown with Vando's health/EJ's ability.

Going to take a lot of dominoes to fall the wrong way for Cal to get Maxey to reclassify though. With green staying we are a long ways before cal pushes for this reclassification whereas you claim he already he is, which is kind of funny really. Btw you saw cal smiling at the edge of his seat in YouTube videos watching maxey. I've seen the same videos. Good observation boss :joy::joy::joy:

Last edited:
UK will have Jeffries/Maxey working Wiseman all summer. Hopefully James picks UK this fall. Going to be an interesting recruitment and a November Wiseman to UK commit would send a massive wave around college basketball.

I know there would be many more pieces to come, but I’m excited about the idea of Maxey and Wiseman together. What a combination if it comes together!
I’m really thinking Wiseman will break the top 5 player drought. He and Maxey were 2 of my most coveted for the 19 class. I really think Maxey is a legit top 5-10 player in his class and I think the scouts are seeing it too with his EYBL showing. If they get some holdovers from this year’s team, man that 19-20 team could be filthy.

ADVERTISEMENT