ADVERTISEMENT

Maxey to Kentucky

Another guy who only values where a guy is ranked. Maxey is an elite talent and will most likely lead the team in scoring as a freshman.

Morsensesky knows what he's doing. He is not another guy in that way. He may have tasted some more and is a little bitter right now...

He’s saying not top 5, which is what UK needs most.

Oh, that’s not what he said, he said “he is universally ranked around 15th. decent pickup “

...but that makes sense I guess?

I hope we’re not to the point of turning our nose up at a top 15 ranked (junior) player?

Welcome to the BBN!
Danny-DeVito-Clapping.gif

Have you watched him play?

And you do understand that some classes are a hell of a lot better than others, right? Last years class was down, and this year's class is even worse. Maxey and Haggans would easily be our best new players next year. Maxey is twice the talent a guy like Quickley is. They are next level players.

The class is up but he's not the cream of the crop. If we've got some older guys to go along with him we can hang the banner. If not, I don't see him as a player (like AD) who can overcome our youth and inexperience. I'm waiting to see what the roster looks like before I pretend that this is another Wall walking through the door. Typically those guys are in fact part of the top 5 of the class. He's not and won't be imo. I think we will be really talented but potentially incredibly young. If that's going to be the case, I want Carey and Wiseman.

Don't get me wrong, I love the pickup. But I just keep in in perspective, at least to me. I want Cal to win title number 2, that's the only thing that is important to me at this point.

He's a middle of the road blue chip according to the sites. I think he moves up to top 10. but he's not the type of recruit that is going to change the dynamic if we just rinse and repeat the same way. He's not an MKG, AD, Cousins, Wall, etc.

I am glad he committed but to pretend we are doing anything different than we were is foolish. This is no different than getting commitments form guys like Pj Washington or Vanderbilt. They need upperclassman or transcendent talent around them if they only play one year.
Who cares what anyone thinks other than our head coach? What matters is how he performs when he puts the uniform on. But sure, he certainly can't do it alone. Booker anyone?

Who cares what anyone thinks other than our head coach? What matters is how he performs when he puts the uniform on. But sure, he certainly can't do it alone. Booker anyone?

I think he's better than both players I mentioned, but still around that type of recruit. At least, a lot closer to them than he would be to Randle or Cousins or Wall.

Cal has gone in this direction already, signing top 10-25 kids and having few juniors and seniors out of those guys. So I don't just necessarily have that kind of faith in Cal. He will stay the course regardless. Sign the highest kids he can and repeat, little importance on retention and so those guys aren't the impact we need in one year, sometimes two.

I think he's better than both players I mentioned, but still around that type of recruit. At least, a lot closer to them than he would be to Randle or Cousins or Wall.

Cal has gone in this direction already, signing top 10-25 kids and having few juniors and seniors out of those guys. So I don't just necessarily have that kind of faith in Cal. He will stay the course regardless. Sign the highest kids he can and repeat, little importance on retention and so those guys aren't the impact we need in one year, sometimes two.
You slept on Booker if you looked at numbers, is my point. I prefer to see for myself if he can be that multiple year player or a OAD. Of course they sometimes see themselves a bit differently as well.

The class is up but he's not the cream of the crop. If we've got some older guys to go along with him we can hang the banner. If not, I don't see him as a player (like AD) who can overcome our youth and inexperience. I'm waiting to see what the roster looks like before I pretend that this is another Wall walking through the door. Typically those guys are in fact part of the top 5 of the class. He's not and won't be imo. I think we will be really talented but potentially incredibly young. If that's going to be the case, I want Carey and Wiseman.

Don't get me wrong, I love the pickup. But I just keep in in perspective, at least to me. I want Cal to win title number 2, that's the only thing that is important to me at this point.
I think you are going to be very satisfied with the makeup of the team the next couple of years.

QUOTE="jameslee32, post: 6916570, member: 8376"]You slept on Booker if you looked at numbers, is my point. I prefer to see for myself if he can be that multiple year player or a OAD. Of course they sometimes see themselves a bit differently as well.[/QUOTE]

That's fair, but Booker didn't win a national championship. Actually, he wasn't transcendent in the tournament at all. AD was, MKG was.

I'm just really eyeballing that next title, so if we can land Wiseman and/or other top 5 types, then retain a few of these guys, it's a good recipe. If not, I don't see the need in jumping at this moment.

Just brainstorming, but it's a nice pickup for sure. I expect him to move up .

He is currently the 2nd best PG in the 2019 class. When Hagans reclassifies, he will be the best PG in the class. Having him and Jeffries is huge for James Wiseman, as well.

Irish I pray everyday for the next championship. Cal kind of ruined me because all I think about is his second title. That's it.
I’m with you Morg. I’m only interested in Cal getting his second title. I’m not sure anything has changed, we’re still losing lots of players after 1 season. God help us if Vanderbilt and Washington depart.

We’ll be loaded in the backcourt, but again, not sure if we’re going to be missing a couple of pieces again to win a championship.

It's not as clear cut as "get top 5 ranked guys." Guys rated higher have a better chance, you figure, of being a total star but it's not guaranteed, and guys ranked a little lower aren't doomed to being "just good."

In 2016, Bam was 9 and Monk was 11 in the 24/7 composite. They were great for us, and we were beaten in the elite 8 on a last second shot by the national champ. We were a top 5 team, and a true title contender without anybody from the top 5 (Fox was 6)
In 2015 Skal was 2, Murray was 10. Aside from Ulis, our veterans were nearly useless and Ulis/Murray carried most of the load.

It's not that deterministic. Some guys will pan out, some won't. Some guys as veterans help us win, some fail to. People make far too many narratives about what must be based on single elimination tournaments where a bounce or two can change the outcome of a game.

That's fair, but Booker didn't win a national championship. Actually, he wasn't transcendent in the tournament at all. AD was, MKG was.

I'm just really eyeballing that next title, so if we can land Wiseman and/or other top 5 types, then retain a few of these guys, it's a good recipe. If not, I don't see the need in jumping at this moment.

Well to be fair, you're also consistently ignoring the top guys who just never panned out also. Okafor and Skal were each Rivals #1 recruits for example.

I also happen to think heart combined with skill is a very powerful combination that can take a #30 ranked guy into a Top 10 at the next level. This is what we need. How they played in HS is mostly irrelevant in my eyes except to get them in the door..

QUOTE="jameslee32, post: 6916570, member: 8376"]You slept on Booker if you looked at numbers, is my point. I prefer to see for myself if he can be that multiple year player or a OAD. Of course they sometimes see themselves a bit differently as well.

Just brainstorming, but it's a nice pickup for sure. I expect him to move up .[/QUOTE]

Wall and Cousins didn't win either but you keep bringing them up when you bring up transcendent talents that you believe Maxey won't be.

Reactions: jameslee32
It's not as clear cut as "get top 5 ranked guys." Guys rated higher have a better chance, you figure, of being a total star but it's not guaranteed, and guys ranked a little lower aren't doomed to being "just good."

In 2016, Bam was 9 and Monk was 11 in the 24/7 composite. They were great for us, and we were beaten in the elite 8 on a last second shot by the national champ. We were a top 5 team, and a true title contender without anybody from the top 5 (Fox was 6)
In 2015 Skal was 2, Murray was 10. Aside from Ulis, our veterans were nearly useless and Ulis/Murray carried most of the load.

It's not that deterministic. Some guys will pan out, some won't. Some guys as veterans help us win, some fail to. People make far too many narratives about what must be based on single elimination tournaments where a bounce or two can change the outcome of a game.

But the facts are still what they are. They didn't make a final four. They were ranked outside of the top 5, and while I understand that it's not just so cut and dry, it is still a good measuring stick for Calipari teams. His most successful teams have had great players like Randle or AD. Wall's team gets a pass because Cal didn't recruit anyone who could knock down an outside shot and of course you can lose no matter who you are. 2012 is what we're looking for, upperclassman, transcendent talent. Without many upperclassman we need the transcendent talent, like 2014. So while I like the pickup I'm still just in wait mode to see how it shakes out. Maxey alone without the top in that class would not be enough to win that title. Not unless we suddenly have a lot return, which I wouldnt bet on.

Reactions: ganner918

Wall and Cousins didn't win either but you keep bringing them up when you bring up transcendent talents that you believe Maxey won't be.[/QUOTE]

Obviously having those types of players is not a guarantee of anything, but those are the odds I want to play with if youth is always going to be a problem.

Well to be fair, you're also consistently ignoring the top guys who just never panned out also. Okafor and Skal were each Rivals #1 recruits for example.

I also happen to think heart combined with skill is a very powerful combination that can take a #30 ranked guy into a Top 10 at the next level. This is what we need. How they played in HS is mostly irrelevant in my eyes except to get them in the door..

Okafor? He was a top 5 player and won a national title?

Reactions: UK-chulo
Maxie is okay but not nearly as good as a one and done Samford grad transfer.

Wall and Cousins didn't win either but you keep bringing them up when you bring up transcendent talents that you believe Maxey won't be.

Obviously having those types of players is not a guarantee of anything, but those are the odds I want to play with if youth is always going to be a problem.[/QUOTE]

AD is a once in a decade type player, so I'd stop using him as an example. Wiseman and Carey ain't AD btw.

Obviously having those types of players is not a guarantee of anything, but those are the odds I want to play with if youth is always going to be a problem.

AD is a once in a decade type player, so I'd stop using him as an example. Wiseman and Carey ain't AD btw.[/QUOTE]

Wiseman isn't AD, but the point remains. He is a transcendent type of talent. He is the cream of the crop. And that is what we've needed to get close.

Randle
AD
MKG
KAT

Top 5 players, best teams under Cal who also went the furthest. I get Wall's team didn't get to the final four so nothing is 100%, but that's our best bet. Doesn't mean I don't like Maxey, just think the celebrations about the future over it are a tad overblown until we know more about the rosters. Cal will always pull these guys, it's not something I freak out about anymore.

Irish I pray everyday for the next championship. Cal kind of ruined me because all I think about is his second title. That's it.
What are you going to do when the new transfer rule goes into effect and no division 1 team knows what it’s roster is going to be from year to year? Not just UK. All 300 plus teams.

What are you going to do when the new transfer rule goes into effect and no division 1 team knows what it’s roster is going to be from year to year? Not just UK. All 300 plus teams.

I prolly pay no attention to the madness, pop in final four basketball on Super Nintendo, and keep it 1 hunnerd.
snes_ncaa_basketball_p_7j9cuc.jpg

He is universally ranked around 15th.decent pickup.
Because he isn't 6'11 or he isn't a freak athlete as a Guard; That's the only reason.

Basketball skill wise he is top 10 easy if not top 5. Booker and Murray weren't "super recruits" by the rankings either for the same reasons. Usually the high skill guys don't get the top 5 love unless they are also freakishly athletic or tall.

Reactions: Cowboys&Wildcats
Maxey is a great pick up. A long athletic guard who can score is always a sweet thing.

ADVERTISEMENT