ADVERTISEMENT

matthews

I was going to start this thread! I love his game and he should move up the depth chart after thus gane. He is going to be a great one. Reminds me of a MKG/LIGGiNS combo

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
He played really well. I like the kid. I wish he brought more on offense and at the line.

He should be 7th guy. Willis has been given ample opportunities to prove he is ready and he just can't do it.

He should be 7th guy. Willis has been given ample opportunities to prove he is ready and he just can't do it.
Just give it up man . Willis proved many times this season he is a player . Just give it up .

and to the OP and other decent posters I totally agree . Matthews is a future high 1st rounder ( after 2-3 years ) as he is an NBA athlete and defender now and just needs to continue the work on his shot ( it is much better then it was when he was a junior in HS).

UKCoachCalipari: I thought Charles Matthews was outstanding. He changed the whole game.

CUoViV7UsAAARfR.jpg:large

Cal just said he has earned a,spot in main rotation. Good for him and can't wait to see him more!

Willis been given ample opportunity??? I hope you are freaking joking...5 games isnt ample opportunity

how much time should we give Willis? the kid has been here 3 years practicing against the best of the best everyday. to be honest their shouldn't be anything he needs to get , he should of gotten it a long time ago.

Willis cannot be what some of you want so desperately. he will have spurts but their will always be a Mathews, Alex and new guys coming who got it sooner. sorry think the Willis experiment is over, yea he can give us mins this year, but will not be the amount some of you will like. and next year woooooo, sorry I think it will be obvious early who needs to be on the floor.

Willis been given ample opportunity??? I hope you are freaking joking...5 games isnt ample opportunity
Funny how people act on this board..Skal doesn't play well or poythress or whoever in one game, people are so quick to well I don't think this guy's got it..Willis plays and it's always, he needs more time. Funny how every other player people are quick to point out the negatives, but with him theyll see one layup and dream of more than whats there.I don't care what willis does offensively..his biggest problem is he's a massive liability defensively. He doesnt communicate on the floor well, hes slow to rotate, he doesnt know if hes supposed to go over or under a cross screen in the paint, he struggles hedging or recovering, etc. Those are for the most part things that aren't talent related, it's simply knowing how to do. People get so defensive when you point it out and it's not a knock against him...he's decent and it would be nice to see him contribute at a high level..but I'm not going to revolve an entire year around one guy to see if he gets better..I'm more concerned about the team as a whole. If we were depending on him and he's the player we have to worry about logging minutes before he magically gets better, we are in trouble. Hilarious people think Cal would play someone not as good over him. Also funny there's never any, why doesn't Hawkins play more over the years..you know a guy who has actually contributed significantly defensively in ncaa tournament games, who shut russ smith down namely. Other than the fact if Willis was from any other state than KY people wldnt care, people need to stop thinking he's Toni Kukok if only he logged a few more minutes each game.

Reactions: thecatsareback#8
Matthews gave Cal everything he wants out of a bench wing last night. He really scrapped. Willis needs to play tougher when he gets a run at PF in small lineups.

The issue with Willis is that if he's not making shots he brings nothing to the table. He's improved his defense, but it's still poor.

Matthews, on the other hand, brings defense and rebounding without ever being expected to make a shot. Willis is going to have to be the knockdown shooter that he can be or else he can't play. It's that simple really. Matthews is going to outplay him in every other category.

Reactions: KY Long Rifle

We don't play 100 games. Some of you need to understand that. How many games is enough? 8?9?10?11?.....he's a junior yes? I mean, lol, THREE years?

Mathews is better than Willis, it's just the way it is. He brings more energy, he's a better athlete, and he's a better defender. I'm not sure what some of you are wanting out of him. If Willis is getting more minutes than Mathews next game, Cal is being very gracious to Willis. It won't last I assure you.

I think it comes down to bball IQ. Willis just seems tentative and lost. Mathews can recover from a mistake on athletics alone. Willis needs to be placed in a position to succeed. Willis just seems 1 step behind. and in his 3rd year he should be rolling. Willis has had the best coaching, training facilities, living quarters and not to mention has practiced and lived with some of the best ball players in the world for 3 years. if he hasn't gotten it by now then he just won't.

liggins and Jorts both got better after a year of practice with Cuz ,Wall and others
so why hasn't Willis? in my opinion he is just not that guy some want him to be. it's just not their and it will not matter how much PT he gets guys like Mathews will always produce and help the team more when the lights are on. sorry just my opinion

Reactions: .S&C.
Man we need Willis to be that lights out 3pt shooter coming off the bench but maybe we got too excited after the first 2 games. Mathews looked really good last night and he's going to start taking the mins from D-Will most likely. Mathews had like 8rbs last night. Dudes bouncy as hell

Willis has tremendous basketball IQ...saying he doesnt is uneducated remark...im fine if Matthews gets Dereks minutes cuz i love both of their games...but saying Willis has loe IQ is terrible take

Reactions: KY Long Rifle
His mindset on offense is to attack the rim which is what Cal wants and he hustling all over. His minutes will go up.

He's doing too much thinking out there. Dude should be a cupcake slayer but you can tell he's trying not to screw up, rather than just playing. If Matthews consistently surpasses his tenacity, it won't matter if Willis is more skilled.

The issue with Willis is that if he's not making shots he brings nothing to the table. He's improved his defense, but it's still poor.

Matthews, on the other hand, brings defense and rebounding without ever being expected to make a shot. Willis is going to have to be the knockdown shooter that he can be or else he can't play. It's that simple really. Matthews is going to outplay him in every other category.

This is spot on. I love the range that Willis brings to the team. But, when he's not making shots, Matthews has proven that he does everything else as well or better.

I love that Matthews is separating himself from the Mulder/Willis/Hawkins group. Cal's going to continue to play Willis, however. He's capable of getting hot quick, and this team will continue to need that.

Reactions: CELTICAT
Man we need Willis to be that lights out 3pt shooter coming off the bench but maybe we got too excited after the first 2 games. Mathews looked really good last night and he's going to start taking the mins from D-Will most likely. Mathews had like 8rbs last night. Dudes bouncy as hell

Willis, to me, is going to be another Cameron Mills. Maybe I am off base with that but I can see him coming in to provide some instant offense but, unfortunately, he didnt go that last night. That was his time to do it.

ulismyman what has Willis shown or done to say he has a great bball IQ? please give. me some examples because as a person who has seen what a high IQ does for when used on the floor and I also know what a low bball IQ looks like on the floor. Mathews shows a high IQ meaning he knows we're to be sometimes before the play even develops. example: when Ulis dropped down on the pick and roll last game and was in position before the pass to steal it. that's a high bball IQ. Willis shows none of that.

maybe your confusing Bball IQ with a educated IQ. Willis is very smart and does well in class. not what I'm talking about. and if Willis does not figure out what ever it is he needs to figure out then it's over. next year it will be 3 times as hard to get mins as this year.

but in no way do I want to see Willis get Mathews mins just because we are hoping that light goes off and he starts producing. Mathews got it in his 1st year Willis still struggling in year 3. so the favoritism for home town kid running out.

Did yall read Cal's lips last night when he was getting on CM. Mathews had the ball on a fast break and didn't give it up. I don't remember if he got fouled or not but Cal said "Pass the ball. That's a bullshit move" LOL

Reactions: doneitall
This kid is going to be a great rebounding guard/forward for us. I can't believe some of the boards this kid grabs over guys way thicker and taller than him. He seems to grab at least a couple of those type of rebounds a game with limited minutes played. With more playing time, this kid will be even better this season than many of us thought. He's a nice surprise. If he ever developes a reliable jumpshot, the sky is the limit for Matthews.

Matthews and Willis should both continue to get some playing time. Willis has to score more if he is gonna get more than 5-7 mins a game tops. I like that he is shooting more and being aggressive but come on son,...make some. Now he did in the NJIT game and blew that game wide open. He may just be a guy who has one good game and then 2-3 blah games to bad games, then a couple good games, and several blah to bad games and the like all season.

ADVERTISEMENT