ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Stinchcomb on Full Ride this morning

rolaid

All-American
Sep 3, 2002
Matt was the guest of Rick Nueheisel on XM radio show The Full Ride

Talking about upcoming UGA game he mentions doing Coaches Film Room on SEC TV with Muschamp after they beat UK.

He said after they finished taping Muschamp told Stinchcomb thank god UK Coaches waited to last series to take out Smith and put Bowden in. He told him Bowden is a handful for anybody.

I thought that was interesting and very honest - not one Coach in the league would rather face Bowden at QB than Smith

If we spread the field as Jordan Rogers said numerous times and let Bowden play QB and not Wildcat he becomes very tough to stop. When he took a 3 step drop looking to pass the lanes opened up and his ability to create was able to shine.

Immediately after the Arkansas game Stoops did an on-field interview on SECN and said: "This is how Lynn played all through high school." Just found his comfort zone I guess.

UK should not run a single snap from Wildcat, whether Bowden is at QB or not. That formation should be dead. Every single play should be 3 or 4 WR's spread across the field. No condensed sets at all. They have to get defenders out of the box.
True - all my boy Eddie has to do is watch film - its right there. Jordan Rogers was spot on during game

True - all my boy Eddie has to do is watch film - its right there. Jordan Rogers was spot on during game

Meh not necessarily. Like stoops said on the call in show, we were really hurting them on the edges. He's right.

Now against another team with much faster personnel, that may well be the better approach. But what we did vs Arkansas worked and worked well. Especially the second half

UK should not run a single snap from Wildcat, whether Bowden is at QB or not. That formation should be dead. Every single play should be 3 or 4 WR's spread across the field. No condensed sets at all. They have to get defenders out of the box.
Yep. On the 4th down stuff they had 11 guys not only in the box but in the box inside the box. And thats the case most every time we face 3rd or 4th and short. Not only does it bring their guys in the box, but it causes a wall to be built with our own blockers as well. They are trying to create space with 16 or 17 big bodies it he way and Its not going to happen, even with a push here or there.

Spreading the field is never a bad idea especially with good athletes and helps short yardage as well.

Matt was the guest of Rick Nueheisel on XM radio show The Full Ride

Talking about upcoming UGA game he mentions doing Coaches Film Room on SEC TV with Muschamp after they beat UK.

He said after they finished taping Muschamp told Stinchcomb thank god UK Coaches waited to last series to take out Smith and put Bowden in. He told him Bowden is a handful for anybody.

I thought that was interesting and very honest - not one Coach in the league would rather face Bowden at QB than Smith

If we spread the field as Jordan Rogers said numerous times and let Bowden play QB and not Wildcat he becomes very tough to stop. When he took a 3 step drop looking to pass the lanes opened up and his ability to create was able to shine.

90% of the people on this board were begging for a QB change early against SC.

About 2/3 of the 90% were begging for Bowden.

We blew a shot to beat SC.

This is really simple. Only 2 choices. Either I) Bowden is all that the OP claims and clearly gives us the best chance to win. Or II) Bowden is a wide receiver for a reason, Arkansas is terrible, and what looked good last game simply won’t work against a decent team. We’ll find out soon enough.

Maybe but we couldn’t tackle anybody, that sucked.

This is really simple. Only 2 choices. Either I) Bowden is all that the OP claims and clearly gives us the best chance to win. Or II) Bowden is a wide receiver for a reason, Arkansas is terrible, and what looked good last game simply won’t work against a decent team. We’ll find out soon enough.
If Arkansas is terrible than so are we. If Hicks plays QB the whole game they probably win. Crazy they played the other QB that much - he was very inaccurate

If Arkansas is terrible than so are we. If Hicks plays QB the whole game they probably win. Crazy they played the other QB that much - he was very inaccurate

In every game Arkansas has played in whether they started Starkel or Hicks, the starter has been terrible and the QB that replaced them has been really good. I’ve never seen anything like it. Earlier in the year I thought Starkel would run away with the job but now I think Hicks should start this weekend.

Reactions: DTDcatfan
I suspect Bowden's true QB performance came against SC's 2nd and 3rd team defenders. He ran twice for 29 yards and completed 1 pass for 9 yards. His big play as QB was a 26 yard run. Was that a "designed QB run" or a scramble? I seem to recall it being a scramble and he certainly enjoys a big "QB advantage" over Smith in that department. After that, IDK.

I was out of town and forgot to record the AR game. Web version locked up late in the 1st quarter so I have only seen that plus stats and highlights. All things considered, a huge (season salvaging ???) win for the Cats. 3-3 is a helluva lot better than 2-4. This was one that the Cats could win with "makeshift" QB play. Regardless, 25 carries is A LOT for the QB position. And regarding Bowden's HS career at QB I suspect it was one of those very common HS situations where your most talented player plays QB.

In the big picture I can't help but think UK is better with a "true" QB playing QB rather than with a mid-season position cross over - even to a guy as all round talented as Bowden. Future opponents will be much better prepared against Bowden and the QB run. It is really hard to imagine a scenario of a UK win over what I think will be a pissed off GA team regardless of who plays QB. With that in mind, I would again play Bowden at QB unless Smith is absolutely 100%. In any case, when Smith is healthy, the QB decision looms as a tough one for the staff. All JMO

Peace

I suspect Bowden's true QB performance came against SC's 2nd and 3rd team defenders. He ran twice for 29 yards and completed 1 pass for 9 yards. His big play as QB was a 26 yard run. Was that a "designed QB run" or a scramble? I seem to recall it being a scramble and he certainly enjoys a big "QB advantage" over Smith in that department. After that, IDK.

I was out of town and forgot to record the AR game. Web version locked up late in the 1st quarter so I have only seen that plus stats and highlights. All things considered, a huge (season salvaging ???) win for the Cats. 3-3 is a helluva lot better than 2-4. This was one that the Cats could win with "makeshift" QB play. Regardless, 25 carries is A LOT for the QB position. And regarding Bowden's HS career at QB I suspect it was one of those very common HS situations where your most talented player plays QB.

In the big picture I can't help but think UK is better with a "true" QB playing QB rather than with a mid-season position cross over - even to a guy as all round talented as Bowden. Future opponents will be much better prepared against Bowden and the QB run. It is really hard to imagine a scenario of a UK win over what I think will be a pissed off GA team regardless of who plays QB. With that in mind, I would again play Bowden at QB unless Smith is absolutely 100%. In any case, when Smith is healthy, the QB decision looms as a tough one for the staff. All JMO

Peace

I don’t disagree with your general premise, but what you didn’t get to see was Bowden throwing the ball and throwing the ball well.

All we really give up with Bowden at QB, is Bowden at WR.

While a “true” QB would be nice, we actually need a healthy one for this to be a legitimate discussion.

Bowden gives us a shot in most of our remaining games. The Smith we saw in his last two performances gives us a shot against no one.

I don’t disagree with your general premise, but what you didn’t get to see was Bowden throwing the ball and throwing the ball well.

While a “true” QB would be nice, we actually need a healthy one for this to be a legitimate discussion.

Bowden gives us a shot in most of our remaining games. The Smith we saw in his last two performances gives us a shot against no one.
Dude was seriously compromised by injury...Smith couldn't throw it 10 yards on a line against SC.

I hear ya. Smith certainly did nothing special against MSU and SC. But, FWIW, those two 3-3 teams are ranked much higher than 2-4 AR if you look at the various 1-130 "power" rankings. So I'm not sure 7/11 for 78 yards will get it done unless you can consistently put up 300 yards rushing. Furthermore, over half of that came from the QB position and I am not sure that will be a regular contribution. Like I said, I think a healthy Smith makes a tough decision for the staff. Glad i don't have to make it. [winking]

Peace

I hear ya. Smith certainly did nothing special against MSU and SC. But, FWIW, those two 3-3 teams are ranked much higher than 2-4 AR if you look at the various 1-130 "power" rankings. So I'm not sure 7/11 for 78 yards will get it done unless you can consistently put up 300 yards rushing. Furthermore, over half of that came from the QB position and I am not sure that will be a regular contribution. Like I said, I think a healthy Smith makes a tough decision for the staff. Glad i don't have to make it. [winking]

Peace
Just about kills you that UK may have found a QB doesn't it?

The way Smith was playing against USC, no opponent would want him out. If Smith were playing as good as he did against Florida, the response might've been very different.
Smith lost a fumble and had an INT prior to wrist injury. I realize he completed whatever out of whatever for whatever but you cannot have turnovers, especially from your QB and especially from an experienced QB..

Reactions: fabcat
Interesting but keep in mind Smith was pretty much playing injured the whole game. If he’s healthy for that game it’s a different story.

After halftime getting the ball first we should have gone with Lynn.

Reactions: UKUGA
Smith lost a fumble and had an INT prior to wrist injury. I realize he completed whatever out of whatever for whatever but you cannot have turnovers, especially from your QB and especially from an experienced QB..

After only 1 wk of practice......and only being on campus for a very short period of time. It's entirely possible......darn near expected that TO's would've improved had he remained healthy and had more time to practice. We would expect the same for anyone.

Now, understand that it DOES NOT mean that you have to go with Smith. What it does mean is that you CAN NOT deny the potential the offense has with him "if" he can be healthy and return to Florida-game form. A Smith/Bowden offense has a much higher potential ceiling than a Bowden only offense. Doesn't make it a reality.

Could have change the outcome. But before our bye week he hadn’t been taking snaps there. It’s difficult to be effective when just thrust into it without taking reps. Lynn is such a good football player he may have been effective but not near as much as he is now after being able to get reps for 2 weeks.

Anything would have looked better though. It was a UGLY game for our offense

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
Bowden is a playmaker I don’t see how you play 2 guys after one performs that well. Smith should be the back-up. Bowden played his way into this opportunity I believe this 2 Qb stuff is mostly coach’s talking so it forces GA to prepare for both styles even though there’s a good chance if Bowden can convert early and keep the sticks moving he takes every snap.

When your that efficient and you don’t turn it over you can beat most the teams on the schedule GA is probably one of the few you can’t just because the talent margin is so heavy in their favor.

Last edited:
Bowden is a playmaker I don’t see how you play 2 guys after one performs that well. Smith should be the back-up. Bowden played his way into this opportunity I believe this 2 Qb stuff is mostly coach’s talking so it forces GA to prepare for both styles even though there’s a good chance if Bowden can convert early and keep the sticks moving he takes every snap.

When your that efficient and you don’t turn it over you can beat most the teams on the schedule GA is probably one of the few you can’t just because the talent margin is so heavy in their favor.

Well, sorta. Bowden didn’t “play his way into opportunity”......it was thrust upon him due to desperation. As always you go with whatever gives you the highest ceiling of success.

Ranking from highest to lowest ceiling
1. Wilson as QB
2. Hoak
3. Scalzo
4. Healthy Smith/Bowden
5. Bowden
6. Unhealthy Smith
7. “Bueller.......Bueller.........anyone?......Bueller?”

This is really scary. We’re at the end of our list with half the season to go.

^^For sure.^^
That and Chance missed field goal attempted did us in till last Saturday. As for me Lynn has to be our qb. operating from a spread formation!

Answer is pretty clear. Bowden is a receiver, not a quarterback. Arkansas is terrible. Bowden is not viable against anyone else in the conference save perhaps Vandy. We have exactly one kid on the roster who is capable of playing quarterback in this league, and that’s Smith. IF - if - he’s healthy.

Answer is pretty clear. Bowden is a receiver, not a quarterback. Arkansas is terrible. Bowden is not viable against anyone else in the conference save perhaps Vandy. We have exactly one kid on the roster who is capable of playing quarterback in this league, and that’s Smith. IF - if - he’s healthy.

Terry is still on the roster

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT