ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones Says Marcus Walker Story Will Get Worse...

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't but if a coach comes away satisfied with answers regarding why a kid is flashing thousands of dollars on Instagram then you're not looking hard enough. You're not wanting to look hard enough. As I said, it's just not Stoops, but the majority of these coaches would rather turn a blind eye to this stuff and hope things never come out. It's not just a football issue, it's a social issue today. No one wants to admit guilt. If it's not out there, then nobody will talk about it. If this arrest happens a year from now after he's left school, then it's no longer Kentucky's problem. That's probably how Stoops addressed it.

This is dangerous territory. If a kid gives a reasonable explanation, the coach should be satisfied. Kids have family and sometimes they flash cash that is not their own. Kids who get schollies, sometimes are given nice things from parents who no longer have to pay for a college education. So, there are explanations that should leave a coach satisfied. The idea that coaches should assume the worst and that a kid is lying has issues that can implicate stereotypes of race, socioeconomics, etc.

Again, I have yet to see anyone demonstrate that UK staff did not investigate Walker’s social media posting. And, we assume from the recent allegations that he was flashing drug money. That too may be a faulty conclusion. We should deal with facts, rather than conjecture.

Okay.
For those more knowledgeable than me...and that is about everybody posting on this.....
What more is Stoops or UK to do to get 'out in front of this?'
Legally.
Without exposing the program to defamation suit if this guy is not convicted?
Other than being pretty plain Walker is off the team?

How about an on camera response with we wanted to address to everybody that he's no longer with the team, we obviously don't condone this type of behavior. This is not who we are. We are working hard to prevent this type of behavior in the future. We are extremely disappointed with this situation Blah blah blah

We all know this is how he feels but he needs to publicly say it because recruiters are saying the opposite to the kids parents we are recruiting behind closed doors.

How about an on camera response with we wanted to address to everybody that he's no longer with the team, we obviously don't condone this type of behavior. This is not who we are. We are working hard to prevent this type of behavior in the future. We are extremely disappointed with this situation Blah blah blah

We all know this is how he feels but he needs to publicly say it because recruiters are saying the opposite to the kids parents we are recruiting behind closed doors.

I disagree. I don’t think he needs to publicly say those things.

I understand. I think the 'blah, blah, blah' is the response that gets.
The dismissal from the team is pretty obvious disapproval.
He is in front of the judicial system already....no trial, no announcement of plea bargain, in fact player says 'not guilty' as of now.
Going on TV and blabbering how much we don't tolerate that behavior is overkill.

On basketball parlance, why was Calipari not crucified for not going on TV stating how we don't tolerate armed guards at campus events for players?
Better yet, why wasn't Matt Jones crying and screaming 'Cal better get hold on this???'
Fair is fair. As Jason posted, an outside outfit has the contract for monitoring player social media. Not the coach. Some posters have stated the car was his when he came to UK. So why would it set off alarms a year or two later?

Stoops has PLENTY of negatives to lay on his plate, Imo.....sticking with coaches too long, playing not to lose, not 'cleaning it up',
Not giving backup QBs shots in game...and I could go on.
This so far is not a Stoops fiasco. It's a player f- up that cost that player's spot on the team.
Bad enough. Not a coaching indictment.

Reactions: jauk11
I don't recall Hatcher playing for U of L or making the NFL.

One of the things I love about football is that it isn't all about physical ability. Willie was rated the number one prospect in the nation out of high school, got a lot of lobster tails because of it, and jurich went to extremes to vouch for him. Now he is a lifer as a habitual criminal, ended up at mighty Union College in the metropolis of Barbourville-------before it all caught up to him. I noticed Quick got cut from his NFL roster, a free agent now, probably go back to his old profession, ..

If it was all physical my coach at our SMALL high school might not have let me go out for football as a freshman, easy to remember my weight, nice even number, 100#. But he had coached all my brothers before me, one ended up with offers from UK and Texas Tech and another from Washington, both from playing service ball, all of my brothers volunteered for the service out of high school, several during the wars. I lettered as a 120# sophomore, the weight room was a foreign word at our high school, but I was still a late bloomer, didn't finish growing until after high school.

A lot of players waste a lot of ability, and there wasn't a fortune waiting for you back then if you were one of the elite 1% or so. The sad part is a lot of players that are top 5% think they are top 1%, and a lot of high school stars are coddled so much they think the world owes them a living.

Oh, just noticed, wasn't talking about Hatcher at Transfer U, was talking about Quick, and he was rated even higher than Hatcher, also sounds like he had better "connections" in the city, stands to reason playing for Transfer U.

Last edited:
I disagree. I don’t think he needs to publicly say those things.

I don't think anyone needs to do anything, I am sure MJ will come out with all the gory details any day now, how long has he been sitting on this anyway?

This is dangerous territory. If a kid gives a reasonable explanation, the coach should be satisfied. Kids have family and sometimes they flash cash that is not their own. Kids who get schollies, sometimes are given nice things from parents who no longer have to pay for a college education. So, there are explanations that should leave a coach satisfied. The idea that coaches should assume the worst and that a kid is lying has issues that can implicate stereotypes of race, socioeconomics, etc.

Again, I have yet to see anyone demonstrate that UK staff did not investigate Walker’s social media posting. And, we assume from the recent allegations that he was flashing drug money. That too may be a faulty conclusion. We should deal with facts, rather than conjecture.

There are legit reasons a kid could have 1000's of dollars at one time on him, he more than likely qualifies for some grants and could have cashed the grant check is one. The coaches recruited the kid,likely went to his home, they would have had a pretty good idea if family could have provided that kind of cash. Really, how many of these kids do you think had college funds with 1000's of dollars in them? The most logical reason is money from a grant, completely legit, tons if not almost all players qualify for them. Kid took a pick, wanting to look like he was rolling in cash to his friends back home and posted it.

Reactions: jauk11
There are legit reasons a kid could have 1000's of dollars at one time on him, he more than likely qualifies for some grants and could have cashed the grant check is one. The coaches recruited the kid,likely went to his home, they would have had a pretty good idea if family could have provided that kind of cash. Really, how many of these kids do you think had college funds with 1000's of dollars in them? The most logical reason is money from a grant, completely legit, tons if not almost all players qualify for them. Kid took a pick, wanting to look like he was rolling in cash to his friends back home and posted it.
Don’t try justifying this nonsense. He’s a wannabe thug gangsta that’s selling drugs. He’s going to spend time in prison.

I think that's a fair statement and something stoops should clarify. The reason myself and others assume noone asked questions is because it it hasn't been addressed. One would assume had they acted properly, we would know

I think that's a fair statement and something stoops should clarify. The reason myself and others assume noone asked questions is because it it hasn't been addressed. One would assume had they acted properly, we would know

Legally he can’t say anything. Dismissal immediately was as strong as a statement he could make.

Let’s says he comes out and says he tried to turn kid around and knew stuff going on. Then he should be fired for not notifing proper authorities.

Let’s say he comes out and says he asked lots of questions, because things didn’t add up. Now it is used that he can’t oversee kids when they get under his watch there was signs everyone. Imagine how other programs would use that as a recruiting tool to worried parents

Let’s say he comes out condemns player for his actions when situation under Legal system. Then player turns out innocent. So now he Was I’m a public forum bashing a kid that turns out to be false or dropped. Player now has a lawsuit against coach.

Or he dismisses saysbno comment and nothing can be taken out of context and gives him zero liability. Every program has attest every season. This is on a larger scale
Than most based on pure amount. But still falls under same catagory every d1 program has.

Show me a coach who hasn’t had a single off field discipline problem, 100 plus young adults, being on their own for first time are going to make mistakes here and there. And during stoops time, the severity of off field problems minus this one had been pretty tame in nature.

Legally he can’t say anything. Dismissal immediately was as strong as a statement he could make.

Let’s says he comes out and says he tried to turn kid around and knew stuff going on. Then he should be fired for not notifing proper authorities.

Let’s say he comes out and says he asked lots of questions, because things didn’t add up. Now it is used that he can’t oversee kids when they get under his watch there was signs everyone. Imagine how other programs would use that as a recruiting tool to worried parents

Let’s say he comes out condemns player for his actions when situation under Legal system. Then player turns out innocent. So now he Was I’m a public forum bashing a kid that turns out to be false or dropped. Player now has a lawsuit against coach.

Or he dismisses saysbno comment and nothing can be taken out of context and gives him zero liability. Every program has attest every season. This is on a larger scale
Than most based on pure amount. But still falls under same catagory every d1 program has.

Show me a coach who hasn’t had a single off field discipline problem, 100 plus young adults, being on their own for first time are going to make mistakes here and there. And during stoops time, the severity of off field problems minus this one had been pretty tame in nature.

Yes all schools have their problems. No not all schools have this problem. 95k in cash is not a huge bankroll for a cocaine trafficker, but for a student that would've stuck out like a sore thumb. Especially given the at least one IG post he made.

If stoops said we had people ask and we were satisfied with the answers - that would make total sense. People, especially young people, have a persona online.

However if they did not ask at all, that's extremely disturbing

And, I don’t think the staff needed to address it publicly. For every one thing you know, they probably know 10. If no reporter asked the question, I don’t think Stoops needs to proactively bring attention to a kid’s social media postings and ensure the BBN they did a proper inquiry. So, assuming the staff did not act “properly” because you don’t know, is simply a bad conclusion. You don’t know most of the issues, let alone most of the outcomes.

Reactions: NewWildcatOrder
I keep reading people saying that a Coach can't be expected to know what 100 or so players are doing but,, we don't just have one coach! What do we have total staff including strength and conditioning! At least 12-15 plus numerous GA's and volunteer staff such as managers, trainers etc! So maybe at the most ea position coach has 10-12 players to keep tabs on and he has plently of help he can delegate some responsibility to. Someone dropped the ball and should be held accountable. It should have been pretty easy to determine there were major problems with this drug dealer. Lots of people knew, lots of them, staff should have known, I just can't see any way the staff shouldn't be held accountable, which staff I am not sure but if I were Stoops making the kind of money he makes, somebodys butt would be on fire over this!

Grump, are you being serious here? o_O Sometimes hard to tell on message boards.
To reiterate, they found over $90,000 cash. That is over 2 years of out of state tuition, room and board at UK. They also found a 5 pound bag of weed. Five pounds! I don't see how there can be any explanation for this other than the one for which he was arrested. This crap goes on most everywhere but always gets extra media attention when it involves an athlete. I just hope "whole thing" ends with him.

Peace

Grump, are you being serious here? o_O Sometimes hard to tell on message boards.
To reiterate, they found over $90,000 cash. That is over 2 years of out of state tuition, room and board at UK. They also found a 5 pound bag of weed. Five pounds! I don't see how there can be any explanation for this other than the one for which he was arrested. This crap goes on most everywhere but always gets extra media attention when it involves an athlete. I just hope "whole thing" ends with him.

Peace

I just hope it ends up with him off the team and in jail if he is as guilty as it looks like he is now..

I have "some" sympathy for people that get hooked on drugs NONE for dealers, even though just trying drugs once might lead to having to be a dealer in order to support your habit. They should know they are taking a chance.

Peace

I don't think that's what he was saying, he was referring to the picture of him holding up cash which he is giving alternative explanations for, other than drug money.

Peace
Grump is talking about the pics of cash and why Stoops could not condemn them. He did not have 90000 in the picture.

Grump is talking about the pics of cash and why Stoops could not condemn them. He did not have 90000 in the picture.
Stoops did not have to say a word about the cash picture(s) - was there more than that one. Regardless, Stoops did what he had to do. Maybe not $90K but a lot of C-notes in that fan. Still A LOT of walking around money for a typical college student. I suspect more than what you and I have in our wallets combined. :D

Peace

Stoops did not have to say a word about the cash picture(s) - was there more than that one. Regardless, Stoops did what he had to do. Maybe not $90K but a lot of C-notes in that fan. Still A LOT of walking around money for a typical college student. I suspect more than what you and I have in our wallets combined. :D

Peace
Sheeeeeettttttt I'm ballin!

Peace

No, I think he more than likely has been up to no good. But he hasn't been convicted of anything yet, maybe not indicted yet I don't know.

But I do have issues with something that is legal in one state and gets you put in prison if you cross the state line. I never tried it so I am not an old pothead. Either make it legal nationwide or illegal nationwide, I thought it was but I was wrong. Tax it like we do alcohol, make room for some real criminals in the prisons.

I don't know what the Pell Grant is today, but years ago it was 5k, plus their stipend and COA, 7-8k fanned out would look impressive on camera.

Lets wait until he is convicted before burying him. Do I think he was dealing, most likely.

Reactions: Levibooty
When marijuana is decriminalized a lot of our problems will go away quickly. Marijuana would be a safer intoxicant than alcohol. Americans should be able to grow it if they want. I wish we could write scrips for cocaine so that we could slow down that bloodletting but we have right in front of our eyes how corrupt big pharma is with opioids already and they never go to jail.

Reactions: entropy13
I wish we could write scrips for cocaine so that we could slow down that bloodletting but we have right in front of our eyes how corrupt big pharma is with opioids already and they never go to jail.

Scripts for Cocaine? Doc, I have low self esteem and want to believe I can win the world without working while I am crashing and burning. Got anything for that???

Scripts for Cocaine? Doc, I have low self esteem and want to believe I can win the world without working while I am crashing and burning. Got anything for that???
Yeah it's not the best solution and I'm not totally convince it's a good idea but the river of innocent blood that flows from the cartels isn't one either. Brolin's remark about the 20% in Sicario was on point. BTW the movies and law enforcement (reefer madness is a great example) have a way of jacking up what pot does to people. In any case we already have doctors overprescribing opioids turning patients into addicts.

I keep reading people saying that a Coach can't be expected to know what 100 or so players are doing but,, we don't just have one coach! What do we have total staff including strength and conditioning! At least 12-15 plus numerous GA's and volunteer staff such as managers, trainers etc! So maybe at the most ea position coach has 10-12 players to keep tabs on and he has plently of help he can delegate some responsibility to. Someone dropped the ball and should be held accountable. It should have been pretty easy to determine there were major problems with this drug dealer. Lots of people knew, lots of them, staff should have known, I just can't see any way the staff shouldn't be held accountable, which staff I am not sure but if I were Stoops making the kind of money he makes, somebodys butt would be on fire over this!

We still don't know all the facts but I disagree with the firing of any coach over this unless he was involved and I sincerely don't believe that.

Hitler ran on meth his last few years, so did his troops, they called his doctor Dr Feelgood.

It could have been the difference in the war too.

Last edited:

Peace
I disagree. Under the best case scenario it's a bad look for the school. The school should be involved with what these kids to that hurt the school's image. A while back Benny posted a picture with himself and some dollar bills and they made him take the pics down. Under any circumstance someone at the school should have noticed them and checked in on what was going on. That was your first warning sign something was up. There are some things you can hide but dealing that much drugs and carrying that kind of cash in your apparent, I don't care if it was your roommates', someone had to notice something.

Today's major drug problem is the result of big pharma going rogue. They'll sell as much to anybody with enough money. If the government was as diligent about prosecuting the "legal" businessmen in healthcare, sports trainers, doctors, and others in the healthcare profession as they are about those in the "illegal" drug trade, things would change. It wouldn't be an end-all solution but it would have major impact.

Fines are not a deterrent when they are paid out of the petty cash the illegal activity generates. This all stems back to money, the most addictive drug on earth. Imagine the drop in crime (or at least the drop in price making crime less profitable) if people could grow their own pot, that would take the money out of the pot business and reduce crime.

Today's major drug problem is the result of big pharma going rogue. They'll sell as much to anybody with enough money. If the government was as diligent about prosecuting the "legal" businessmen in healthcare, sports trainers, doctors, and others in the healthcare profession as they are about those in the "illegal" drug trade, things would change. It wouldn't be an end-all solution but it would have major impact.

Fines are not a deterrent when they are paid out of the petty cash the illegal activity generates. This all stems back to money, the most addictive drug on earth. Imagine the drop in crime (or at least the drop in price making crime less profitable) if people could grow their own pot, that would take the money out of the pot business and reduce crime.

If there was no demand they wouldn't make it. If so many doctors didn't write scripts, drug companies wouldn't sell as much.

If there was no demand they wouldn't make it. If so many doctors didn't write scripts, drug companies wouldn't sell as much.
This partly correct but it totally ignores what happens to the addict after the doctor covers his ass by ending the script to the newly created addict.

Prosecuting the “‘legal’ doctors?” You do know that people have died because of pill mill docs who only care about money, right?

And, in this state, the problem with heroin has grown enormously over the past 5 years. Not a big pharma issue.

We can agree upon reasonable criticism of the pharmaceutical industry, but not the agenda you are peddling.

This partly correct but it totally ignores what happens to the addict after the doctor covers his ass by ending the script to the newly created addict.

Like when a smoker becomes addicted to cigarettes or a gambler becomes addicted to gambling? People make choices every day on life. Most people prescribed narcotics do not become addicts.

The reason heroin is so available on streets today is because its much more difficult to obtain prescription narcotics than it used to be so people are choosing street drugs once again.

Prosecuting the “‘legal’ doctors?” You do know that people have died because of pill mill docs who only care about money, right?

And, in this state, the problem with heroin has grown enormously over the past 5 years. Not a big pharma issue.

We can agree upon reasonable criticism of the pharmaceutical industry, but not the agenda you are peddling.
I think you're misunderstanding my post, that may be my wording. Doctors prescribe opioids with or without good medical reasoning. Those patients get hooked and if they can no longer get the pills, which in most cases they can but if not a lot of people then turn to heroin because of their newly acquired addiction to opioids. Does that clear my thinking up a bit for you? Why do you think I'm saying money is the most addictive drug in America?

Like when a smoker becomes addicted to cigarettes or a gambler becomes addicted to gambling? People make choices every day on life. Most people prescribed narcotics do not become addicts.

The reason heroin is so available on streets today is because its much more difficult to obtain prescription narcotics than it used to be so people are choosing street drugs once again.
That is not the whole story, not by a long shot.

Some people seem to not know what I'm talking about in this thread so here is the story SI publish.
"To understand the increasingly busy intersection of heroin and sports, it's essential first to understand the general path to the drug. According to the U.S. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, a full 80% of all users arrive at heroin after abusing opioid painkillers such as OxyContin, Percocet and Vicodin."

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2015/06/18/special-report-painkillers-young-athletes-heroin-addicts

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT