ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones Says Marcus Walker Story Will Get Worse...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what people want Stoops to say. It's a criminal investigation and the player is already off the team so commenting on it can only get him and UK in trouble. The thing is, and Stoops isn't the only head coach that's guilty of this, it's the don't ask/don't know policy he took with this. There were obviously some red flags here from social media posts. Nobody on the staff thought to get ahead on this and pull Marcus aside. Figure out how he has stacks of cash as a college kid. All these coaches of these programs seem to act like it's better to play dumb, turn a blind eye, and hope it doesn't come out than to get ahead of it and maybe take a little bit of a black eye in the beginning. In the end, though you look like you are more vigilant.

Instead, you have a national sports story, UK in negative news. All for a marginal player. Was it worth the risk? If Stoops wins this season it will be because everyone will forget about it, but if doesn't, it just adds more fuel to the fire he should be let go.

I don't know what people want Stoops to say. It's a criminal investigation and the player is already off the team so commenting on it can only get him and UK in trouble. The thing is, and Stoops isn't the only head coach that's guilty of this, it's the don't ask/don't know policy he took with this. There were obviously some red flags here from social media posts. Nobody on the staff thought to get ahead on this and pull Marcus aside. Figure out how he has stacks of cash as a college kid. All these coaches of these programs seem to act like it's better to play dumb, turn a blind eye, and hope it doesn't come out than to get ahead of it and maybe take a little bit of a black eye in the beginning. In the end, though you look like you are more vigilant.

Instead, you have a national sports story, UK in negative news. All for a marginal player. Was it worth the risk? If Stoops wins this season it will be because everyone will forget about it, but if doesn't, it just adds more fuel to the fire he should be let go.
Stoops and the staff should learn a valuable lesson here. Don’t bury your head in the sand. If they had done any homework on this idiot they would have found these photos and immediately investigated. There’s no excuse for their lack of questioning. And no, I don’t think anyone should be fired or even reprimanded. Just don’t let this happen again.

So, didn't he immediately kick him off the team, what did you want him to do, go over to his place and beat him up?

They should make a public statement. The details of the arrest are very ugly. It's as if UK is just hoping this will go away. This is a national story and UK is doing nothing publicly for damage control.

He may as well. He posted tons of pics online that any half competent compliance staff would've questioned. Not even just from a legality perspective. But to at least rule out improper benefits as he clearly had a lifestyle way above what he should

All I've seen is one pic. Where are all of the tons of pics at you're referring to?

All I've seen is one pic. Where are all of the tons of pics at you're referring to?

That was the report. Also the one pic alone should've at least been worth cursory questions. That doesn't even count the lifestyle they could see him living with their own two eyes (car he drove, etc).

If he had 95k in cash, you know he was blowing through loads of cash because you can't out it in the bank. That should've definitely raised some questions. Alot of people asleep at the wheel here imo

I think we are transferring blame the wrong place.
Thanks Matt Jones.

So which coach or assistant do we assign to monitor all the tweets, Snapchat, Facebook accounts of a hundred players?
How does the football coach get authority to 'investgate' each of those hundred players? Who here on the board saw the ONE infamous picture before it hit?
The actual law enforcement didn't investigate anyone before they got a domestic disturbance call. What about the players team mates? What about the player's family?
If this is widespread on the team or a member of the staff is involved, yep...biiiiig problem.
One third string DB that made a really bad life decision, not so much other than a bruised eye and a sad move by the young man.

Thanks Matt Jones.

So which coach or assistant do we assign to monitor all the tweets, Snapchat, Facebook accounts of a hundred players?
How does the football coach get authority to 'investgate' each of those hundred players? Who here on the board saw the ONE infamous picture before it hit?
The actual law enforcement didn't investigate anyone before they got a domestic disturbance call. What about the players team mates? What about the player's family?
If this is widespread on the team or a member of the staff is involved, yep...biiiiig problem.
One third string DB that made a really bad life decision, not so much other than a bruised eye and a sad move by the young man.

I don't see how anyone can put the blame on the coaching staff with the information that has been released. He didn't just fall into this lifestyle a month ago, he has been fooling people a long time. Sure some of his teammates probably knew what he was up too, but kids don't want to be snitches. As for a black eye to the program, I just don't see it that way, kid was recruited by quite a few P5 schools, he just happened to choose UK, could have been at any number of other programs.

If this is the first recruit or player picture you've ever seen with a hand full of cash consider that YOU might be the one with their head in the sand. This has been going on for years where kids stage these pictures with cash. Some of you would have us fire the coach each time we see one. Step back, take a deep breath, and consider where these kids come from. This is a part of their culture. Also, consider some of the things you yourself did when you were in your teens. Now imagine a bunch of so-called adults breathing down your neck, jumping to conclusions, and acting on every move you made. Freedom to make mistakes is required in order to reach adulthood.

No excuse for dealing drugs, but that noose hasn't been tied around his neck yet. Let justice be served in the court not the street.

Thanks Matt Jones.

UK hires outside firms to monitor all student athletes' social media accounts. I think that's generally what most schools do now.

Reactions: billoliver40

How do we know that no one inquired with Marcus about the social media postings? A kid selling drugs certainly can give an answer that would not deserve a closer look.

Was he driving that car? Was it his or was it just in the pic?

No info myself but someone on here said he owned the car before he got to Lexington.

Which might have opened some questions, but maybe not, lots of people own a car, was it that expensive, how does it compare the cars MOST of the Bama players own? Lots of pictures on here about them, no problems.

How do we know that no one inquired with Marcus about the social media postings? A kid selling drugs certainly can give an answer that would not deserve a closer look.

We don't but if a coach comes away satisfied with answers regarding why a kid is flashing thousands of dollars on Instagram then you're not looking hard enough. You're not wanting to look hard enough. As I said, it's just not Stoops, but the majority of these coaches would rather turn a blind eye to this stuff and hope things never come out. It's not just a football issue, it's a social issue today. No one wants to admit guilt. If it's not out there, then nobody will talk about it. If this arrest happens a year from now after he's left school, then it's no longer Kentucky's problem. That's probably how Stoops addressed it.

Makes total since, after viewing the cards boards.

Steelers2012 has destroyed that place, North Korea may have a brighter future.
To be honest, never had any problem with Steelers. After understanding Zipp just goes on to stir up controversy and chatter (Bayless style) he isn't much more that a Jurich worshipper.
Just not many folks left on that site....maybe two or three that wanna talk sport, the rest just UK haters.

That was the report. Also the one pic alone should've at least been worth cursory questions. That doesn't even count the lifestyle they could see him living with their own two eyes (car he drove, etc).

If he had 95k in cash, you know he was blowing through loads of cash because you can't out it in the bank. That should've definitely raised some questions. Alot of people asleep at the wheel here imo
I guess that hookers in a dorm that is "suppose" to be heavily monitored can go on 5 years and "supposedly" nobody know anything about it and 25 years of academic fraud, maybe the coaches can be given a little slack for something like this.

To be honest, never had any problem with Steelers. After understanding Zipp just goes on to stir up controversy and chatter (Bayless style) he isn't much more that a Jurich worshipper.
Just not many folks left on that site....maybe two or three that wanna talk sport, the rest just UK haters.

I never had an issue when he posted here, but when he became a mod over there you got banned for just asking a question.

As far as the Zipp guy, he's just a simple idiot and has a few guys that think licking his sack makes them somebody.

Reactions: billoliver40
Stoops and the staff should learn a valuable lesson here. Don’t bury your head in the sand. If they had done any homework on this idiot they would have found these photos and immediately investigated. There’s no excuse for their lack of questioning. And no, I don’t think anyone should be fired or even reprimanded. Just don’t let this happen again.

At least it wasn’t a dorm cat house on campus. ;)

I would read daily on the ul site, Steelers would bash us in every post. He got mad because I called him out when he kept saying he didn’t hate us when he posted that he did. Another one who couldn’t handle the truth.

What report? Where are all of these other pics?

Exactly, people act as if Stoops has been living with the guy. There’s anywhere from 100-115 guys on a college football team counting walk on etc: they don’t have one on one time with everyone every day. It’s hard to keep up with them at the high school level when they still have parents around much less college students that most live off campus. It’s not as easy as most people make it out to be

We already have. Haven't you been reading the thread?

I think Matt meant if Stoops or UK doesn't make some kind of public statement it will continue to linger on. I think he actually stated that UK should get out in front of this to keep it from hurting recruiting. Not sure there is anymore to the story.
They're not gonna say anything publicly before the court case is resolved. Matt Jones knows this.
This is the again, dont let it happen again again?

This isn’t far from over from a legal standpoint, given the amount of attorneys on this site would agree and it’s just getting started on the source so to speak but the key in this is the roommate. MW is low level in the scheme of the investigation :cheers2:

What are you talking about? You don't think its alarming a college kid with 95k in cash and at least one social media pic of him holding a load of cash?
He may as well. He posted tons of pics online that any half competent compliance staff would've questioned. Not even just from a legality perspective. But to at least rule out improper benefits as he clearly had a lifestyle way above what he should

Where are all of these other pics? You posted it, I didn't.

Congrats to Matt.

He took an event that probably happens once a year on every team in todays world and with a few words he transformed it into something that is still drawing a lot of unneeded attention on here two weeks later.

But he probably accomplished his purpose.

Been watching the replay of UK upsetting #1 LSU in 07 on SEC rewind, we need another big win like that this year. UK just tied it up 27 to 27 with about four minutes to go, what a great game that was.

I will let you know who wins tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
Not good news. He said UK needs to get out in front of it.
I believe UK is as "out in front" as you could be, Walker is already being referred to as "EX-Wildcat". If there is a "silver lining" in this story, booting off the team right away has to be it. Shows other players and recruits and recruits parents/guardians certain behavior won't be tolerated!!
Not good news. He said UK needs to get out in front of it.

Reactions: jauk11
Okay.
For those more knowledgeable than me...and that is about everybody posting on this.....
What more is Stoops or UK to do to get 'out in front of this?'
Legally.
Without exposing the program to defamation suit if this guy is not convicted?
Other than being pretty plain Walker is off the team?

I agree with you "insanity".... $95K and bags, big bags of dope... 2oz. of blow....

Who was he selling to and where was he getting it from?
We're just getting started bro.......

Maybe the same place Hatcher got his? Pretty successful at Transfer U, did he make it in the NFL? Their big bowl hero had to resort to pretty desperate measures with what he learned in college. It ended up pretty ugly, barely avoiding a real tragedy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT