ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland was better than WVU

uk78

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Just another little tidbit if you are worried, Melo Trimble's exit, Maryland fell apart completely, growing sloppy and disjointed on offense. So, a Freshman injury changed the game. No worries.

Going into that game I wanted WVU, not Maryland. I agree. We got an easier opponent.

I never understood that line of reasoning.

Why would you want the physical, offensive rebounding team (UK's biggest weakness) with depth over the better shooting team (UK kills opponents field goal percentage) who will play a less physical game, straight up basketball, and struggles with rebounding?

It's not about seeding or regular season results, it's about matchups in March.

This post was edited on 3/24 6:06 PM by wild mandu

Originally posted by uk78:
Just another little tidbit if you are worried, Melo Trimble's exit, Maryland fell apart completely, growing sloppy and disjointed on offense. So, a Freshman injury changed the game. No worries.
I see. So let me get this straight. Because those mean tough guys from WVA, lesser individually skilled basketball players are they, had the collective ability to send a more skilled freshman player to the MD bench where he basically finished the game hiding his face and crying into his jersey, we may conclude that the lesser overall opponent prevailed? Wonderful
rolleyes.r191677.gif

Originally posted by wild mandu:

Why would you want the physical, offensive rebounding team (UK's biggest weakness) with depth over the better shooting team (UK kills opponents field goal percentage) who will play a less physical game, straight up basketball, and struggles with rebounding?

You have yet to establish that physical teams are UK's biggest weakness.

My first piece of evidence is 36-0.

Your turn.

Disagree. WVU was the better team before Melo went out, and by far afterward. Maryland just not enough ball handlers for WVUs style.

I wanted WVU too. Melo Trimble scared me as he was the Devan Downey/Stephan Moody type guard that can shoot and penetrate and easily go off for 30! I figured we had seen physical (Cincincinnati/LSU/Texas) and seen pressure (UofL and Arkansas) and handled them all. Plus WVU is undersized, doesn't shoot well and something no one has mentioned, turns the ball over a lot themselves averaging nearly 13 a game and ranked 218.

Originally posted by Prime MF:
Originally posted by wild mandu:

You have yet to establish that physical teams are UK's biggest weakness.

My first piece of evidence is 36-0.

Your turn.
I think they're more likely (key word) to give UK trouble than a finesse team. I never said there was a silver bullet to beat this team, because there isn't. They can adapt to any style. But when you look at some of our "closer" games (Texas, UL, LSU) those teams stayed close by going strong on us in some manner. Ole Miss was an anomaly; they were hitting everything. Cincinnati, a HORRIBLE offensive team, hung for a half, and even cut the lead in the second, by being physical and rebounding on offense. WVU is much better than UC.

Does that equate to a win for WVU? Of course not. But I think they have a better shot than the Turtles did. We're only arguing WVU vs. Maryland here. To me, it was an easy choice, and I bet we wouldn't have 20 threads on here if it was the Terps.

If I recall didn't West Virginia hold about a 6 point lead when Trimble went out of the game somewhere with 8-10 minutes to go? Is this the same reasoning that we lost the Florida Game in 2013 because Noel went down even though we were losing by 12 points when it happened?

We will beat West Virginia or at least we should beat West Virginia just like we would had/should have beaten Maryland had they won instead.

If West Virginia worries anyone then they most likely lack confidence in UK's ability. Some teams are capable of beating UK, West Virginia is not one of them, they would need some help from UK.

Originally posted by KopiKat:
I see. So let me get this straight. Because those mean tough guys from WVA, lesser individually skilled basketball players are they, had the collective ability to send a more skilled freshman player to the MD bench where he basically finished the game hiding his face and crying into his jersey, we may conclude that the lesser overall opponent prevailed? Wonderful
rolleyes.r191677.gif
His own player kicked him in the head and sent him to the bench...watch the games please.

You know? Honestly, I was torn on who I preferred to play between these 2 teams. Going into it, I thought Maryland was the better team. The reason has already been mentioned. I felt Maryland had 2 players with the ability to really go off on any given night. I really think that is the kind of team that could potentially give UK trouble, with NBA types who might have a monster game. Now truly, I don't think they would, but Maryland has Wells and Trimble who could do that.

Now, West Va seemed a really bad matchup for Maryland, and that may have worked to UK's advantage. Maryland has ONE good ball handler in Trimble and they rely heavily on him to make their offense run. He not only scores, he must make the offense run or it doesn't run. We saw that when he went out. West Va's trapping took him out of the game and Maryland had no other answers.

Now against UK, Trimble wouldn't have faced those traps and could have had a better game. And Maryland goes as he and Wells go.

I actually think UK stands to win by a larger margin against West Va than Maryland. I think UK would beat either, but the West Va matchup will likely end up an easier win. I could be wrong but that's my 2 cents.

West Virginias depth will be negated by UKs depth.They will have no answer for Towns.
We have 4 guards that can break their press.
Willie runs the floor like a 7 foot gazelle.
They have.....no.....chance....

When the injury happened to Trimble it was with 8-10minutes left in the game and at that time he was nearly perfect with 5-6 shooting, 2-2 from 3 and 3-4 fts for 15 points. WVU was leading by 3 points when Trimble took the hit to the head and was out rest of the game. I don't know if anyone noticed but Dez Wells was in foul trouble all night and only played 13 minutes and scored only 9 points on the night. That hurt MD with Wells not being able to play his 36-38 minutes a game and like Trimble are the 2 best players on MD. I am not saying MD would have won if Trimble isn't hurt or if Wells plays his normal 36 minutes but it would have been more interesting in the end.

Originally posted by JerseyCat84:
I think West Virginia would've still won even with a healthy Trimble in the game.
Possibly, but it was a one point game at the half and it was still a one point game with about 11 minutes left in the game. Trimble got leveled on that illegal screen about 3 or 4 minutes into the second half. He wasn't the same player after that. He got kicked in the back of the head by his own player with about 8:30 left in the game and never returned.

It's hard to say what they would have done with him at 100%. They looked really good at times in the first half against the press, broke it, and scored on layups and dunks several times. They led nearly the entire first half, until 8 seconds left.

It was clear as day that West Virginia was the better team even before Trimble went out. Trimble turned the ball over a few times himself, that press was just too much for Maryland and that was very apparent from the beginning.

Originally posted by kyjeff1:
It was clear as day that West Virginia was the better team even before Trimble went out. Trimble turned the ball over a few times himself, that press was just too much for Maryland and that was very apparent from the beginning.
LMAO if a 1 pt lead is clear then i think we have different meanings on what clear means . Maryland was the better team and they proved that over the season but since everyone wants UK to go down they are pumping WVU up.

ADVERTISEMENT