ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland football player death and the toxic culture around that program.

We’ve all heard the stories about what Charlie Bradshaw did to cut out the dead wood when he took over for Blanton Collier. As bad as that was, this is on a whole different level.

Durkin and his staff should be permanently blackballed from ever coaching again.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
A former Maryland staff member said: "I would never, ever, ever allow my child to be coached there." -ESPN

You don’t have to negatively recruit when this kind of thing is being published by ESPN.

A former Maryland staff member said: "I would never, ever, ever allow my child to be coached there." -ESPN

You don’t have to negatively recruit when this kind of thing is being published by ESPN.

I could not believe what I read..... what a toxic, abusive environment.

Also, while not a lawyer, it sure looks to me that officials at Maryland are exposed to extreme liability in the players death.

Terms like "negligence", "depraved indifference" come to mind immediately.

What a culture of abuse. I know you have to be tough, but this is beyond absurd.

Sports is the only type of culture where those in power can be this abusive.........there's no doubt it lead directly to a person's death.

Durkin and Court should have been fired yesterday.

Out of curiosity I went to the MD boards to get a feel for what’s going on. Their Rivals site is pretty much a ghost town, but just reading the thread titles gives a sense of their impending doom.

Their 247 site is a bit more active, and I’ve seen more than one poster over there express a genuine sense of shame over this sorry situation. Those responsible need to be held accountable with appropriate punishment meted out.

It's a problem throughout HS and college sports. Where do you draw the line between pushing them to be the best they can be and realizing they're having a medical emergency? You can try to train them with pamphlets and a few videos with terrible acting, but without actually seeing it happen previously, how do you truly discern?

Wow this is tragic! Even more tragic that it doesn’t get shut down fast and these young men continue to deal with bullying and abuse beyond what is necessary. Football is tough and you have to push kids but the end doesn’t justify the means.

Buh and Brumbaugh are on that staff. They never came across to me as the abusive type but I didn't think either were good coaches. Glad they moved on.

While some may consider it extreme, looks like Manslaughter to me. They push the young man to the point it killed him. Just firing them will be a light sentence, they deserve more than that.

I feel bad for the players and the family of the player that died. This "independent investigation" seems like a complete farce. Hopefully these people are held accountable for their actions that led to the death of this player.

Buh and Brumbaugh are on that staff. They never came across to me as the abusive type but I didn't think either were good coaches. Glad they moved on.
Based on resumes and on what I have read, Andy Bush and Jimmy Brumbaugh are good football coaches. They were well regarded by their players at Kentucky. Both coaches got promotions when they moved to Maryland. They are defensive coaches. Jordan McNair, rest his soul, was an offensive player. Coaches Buh and Brumbaugh are not directly implicated, and I doubt every coach at Maryland believes in abusing their players. Sometimes, innocent people with good intentions get swept up in other people’s bad decisions. If they become implicated, then go ahead and unload on them.

Reactions: Colonial Farm 80
Maryland is the epitome of a basketball school. Their fans didn't even want to move to the Big 10 because then they would lose their "rivalry" with Duke. There's always been very little interest in the football program. Many of the fans that attend the games are alums of the opposing team residing in the DC/Baltimore metro area.

I don't see how there are not criminal charges being pursued

Based on resumes and on what I have read, Andy Bush and Jimmy Brumbaugh are good football coaches. They were well regarded by their players at Kentucky. Both coaches got promotions when they moved to Maryland. They are defensive coaches. Jordan McNair, rest his soul, was an offensive player. Coaches Buh and Brumbaugh are not directly implicated, and I doubt every coach at Maryland believes in abusing their players. Sometimes, innocent people with good intentions get swept up in other people’s bad decisions. If they become implicated, then go ahead and unload on them.
I’m not saying they’re directly implicated but if there was an abusive environment then they are just as guilty as Urban Meyer and Joe Paterno for not stepping in and doing the right thing.

Explains why we haven't seen their name linked to many recruits this cycle I guess. Buh/Brumbaugh will get caught up in this whether they're guilty of anything or not. Just a terrible event for those players, Durkin was thought of highly when he took that job.

Maryland is the epitome of a basketball school. Their fans didn't even want to move to the Big 10 because then they would lose their "rivalry" with Duke. There's always been very little interest in the football program. Many of the fans that attend the games are alums of the opposing team residing in the DC/Baltimore metro area.
I lived in the Baltimore area 1998-2001, and you’re pretty much spot on. That whole area has a high percentage of transient people with no real ties to the area. There’s definitely high level of interest in BB, and a high level of apathy for FB.

While not to this level, this type of behavior by coaching staffs is not that far off. There is fine line between pushing someone to be their best and abuse. It’s not surprising there are so many coaches that aren’t able to retire. They thrive on this type of control and don’t have anything to replace it in retirement.

Any college level certified strength and conditioning coach knows the difference between heat exhaustion or heat stroke.

It's a problem throughout HS and college sports. Where do you draw the line between pushing them to be the best they can be and realizing they're having a medical emergency? You can try to train them with pamphlets and a few videos with terrible acting, but without actually seeing it happen previously, how do you truly discern?

Reactions: AlbanyWildCat
We’ve all heard the stories about what Charlie Bradshaw did to cut out the dead wood when he took over for Blanton Collier. As bad as that was, this is on a whole different level.

Durkin and his staff should be permanently blackballed from ever coaching again.
Yep. My HS coach took some of us down for a Thin 30 pre-spring prep practice. 2 weeks later we were doing the same stuff. But, that was the way disciples of the Bear did things back in the 60s. And players (HS and college) were a lot "smaller" meaning much less bad weight. Things are totally different today.

There is little doubt in my mind that MD (school/athletic department/football staff) are looking at some huge lawsuits. Hell, I once had to treat a spectator for heat stroke at a very hot summer youth baseball game. Absolutely zero excuse or explanation there.

Peace

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
He’s done and so are the trainers and SC coaches. While these things can happen because of the heat you cannot have a history now of the abuse they are accused of from not only players but also coaches. This could get real ugly

Somebody is going to get paid. This is a very preventable tragedy just awful for the kid and his parents! Muschamp at South Carolina needs to shut up!

Their AD Damon Evans will probably get the ax also. Remember when he succeeded Vince Dooley as AD at Georgia where he reigned from 2004 - 2010. Then Evans ( who was married with tw0 kids) was pulled over for DUI in Catlanta and there was a young bimbo in the car and he had her red panties sitting in his lap. End of story in Athens for him. His days in College Park are numbered.

Pretty damn simple. Player safety comes FIRST. Any doubt at all, player safety.

These guys are toast and the settlement will be quick.
Like world peace, eradication of poverty, and a war on drugs. Sounds beautiful, but try to enforce the ideology in a system that benefits from inadherence.
Not everybody is Benny Snell and Kash Daniel, you gotta push these guys. When do you stop pushing? Do you look at clinical signs like profuse sweating, redness of skin, rapid breathing and say "whoah big guy, you better sit this one out". Or do you stop practice and check everyone's pulse and temperature? Sometimes things aren't so obvious until it's too late. On the other hand, a 350 pound guy probably shouldn't run thirty 100 yd sprints.

Reactions: RonEJones
First decommit, just happened. The first of many I'm sure

Not surprised.

Durkin left UF for UM. He was a young rising star and continued his reputation with the Wolverines before Maryland grabbed him. The culture being presented at Maryland is ugly and does not prepare young men for their futures away from football or as fathers. His job should be in jeopardy if this article is an accurate representation.

Not sure what Harbaugh thinks of all this.

We're looking for symptoms before the stroke, not after. Herein lies the difficulty.

It's not difficult at all. He's a licensed professional. He received a bachelor’s degree in kinesiology from Michigan State in 2002. He should know.

There’s difference between tough and dangerous. When you’re throwing objects and kids are dying under your watch, it calls for termination.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT