ADVERTISEMENT

Marvin Bagley III, the country's No. 1 basketball recruit, could skip senior year to play for Duke o

Freeing up a spot for Bagley?

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAs7AAAAJDNkMWRiNmEzLTc0YjktNDYzMC1hMmY2LWFmZDM1MmY5Zjk5Mw.jpg

I assure you he grew up a Duke fan. His dad was the big UNC fan not Brandon. He was pretty quiet about it because Kinston is a UNC town, but you can look it up, he was all about Duke, which is why he went there.

Every NC town outside of Durham & Raleigh (& maybe Cary) is a UNC town.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Bagley may not come to UK, but if he doesn't, I don't think our depth will scare him. He starts and plays as many minutes at UK next year as Duke or anywhere else.

I'm not saying Bagley is afraid. But if ANY player doesn't come to UK because he is afraid to compete for playing time, then I don't want him. That means the player is not confident in himself, in his game, in his willingness to out-work other guys.

As for competition hurting a player's pro chances, Coach Cal always points out Davis being 5th on the team in scoring, yet being NPOY and #1 draft pick. That is a good example, but maybe even a better one is Towns playing on "the platoon team" (at least the first half of the season) and going #1 ahead of heralded pre-season & post-season expected #1 (Duke player) Okafor, AND Towns has backed up that pick by far outperforming Okafor & others drafted. If you are good, that will show in 24 minutes/gm just as well as 30 or 35 minutes.

I'm not saying Bagley is afraid. But if ANY player doesn't come to UK because he is afraid to compete for playing time, then I don't want him. That means the player is not confident in himself, in his game, in his willingness to out-work other guys.

As for competition hurting a player's pro chances, Coach Cal always points out Davis being 5th on the team in scoring, yet being NPOY and #1 draft pick. That is a good example, but maybe even a better one is Towns playing on "the platoon team" (at least the first half of the season) and going #1 ahead of heralded pre-season & post-season expected #1 (Duke player) Okafor, AND Towns has backed up that pick by far outperforming Okafor & others drafted. If you are good, that will show in 24 minutes/gm just as well as 30 or 35 minutes.

Well reasoned and said Jonathan....

AlohaCat

Kinda puts into perspective as to how big UK's following is compared to Duke or any other team from NC. Kentucky is college basketball. Duke's a buncha wannabes.

Kentucky is just a bigger deal than those programs. Duke will fade out like Indiana due to lack of interest when K moves on. Give it 4-5 years.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I've always been told the opposite by people I know from Nc. Always claimed NCState had the biggest following.

It surely isn't NCSU. Not even close. 40 years ago the state was probably 50% UNC, 40% NCState, 10% Wake/Duke/whatever. Statewide, I'd say Duke may now be #2 in NC. State's popularity has become far more centered around Raleigh than it used to be. UNC is clearly bigger than Duke, but it is much, much closer than it used to be. Duke's fanbase is way more spread out across the country.

It surely isn't NCSU. Not even close. 40 years ago the state was probably 50% UNC, 40% NCState, 10% Wake/Duke/whatever. Statewide, I'd say Duke may now be #2 in NC. State's popularity has become far more centered around Raleigh than it used to be. UNC is clearly bigger than Duke, but it is much, much closer than it used to be. Duke's fanbase is way more spread out across the country.
Please. They couldn't fill an arena the size of Rupp or the Dean dome on a regular basis.

That's very true. I read an article recently that said that millennials are the gayest generation in history. Along with the ESPN Duke propaganda machine, it only makes sense that Duke's following has increased so much.

No its not. Its a bandwagon fanbase, they arent fans, they are johnny jump ons. They go wherever they see the current wind. Duke won't sustain many fans outside of Durham when K is gone. Ive seen this with several fan bases throughout time. Kentucky is the only program, aside from Kansas, that has real legitimate "fans". When probably 80% of your fans have never stepped foot in Durham and have no connection, it will fade.

And lol at the 10% comment. Ncstate is the blue collar school of north carolina. They have more legitimate fans than Duke.

The chances of you being a Duke fan and having a real connection to the program is slim to none.

Please. They couldn't fill an arena the size of Rupp or the Dean dome on a regular basis.

Exactly.

A few years back coach K was going nuts over lack of support. The cameras didnt show it, but Duke had empty seats all over the corners of Cameron. I believe he went off on the students in the student newspaper.

I have a bandwagon duke friend here in tennessee, he made his first and last trip to Cameron and the pictures were hilarious. Empty seats all over the student sections.

I'd take bagley regardless of what he thinks, says etc. You take this kinda talent no matter what (sans eligibility, legal issues, horrible temper/personality etc )

I'm all-in in thinking we need top 1-5 guys to win titles. Is it coincidence that in the year Cal won his only title our two top freshmen went 1 and 2 in the draft? I think not. To win with freshmen we need that Wall, Davis, Towns type guy. I'm not hopeful we'll get Bagley if he reclassifies, but I certainly wouldn't discount it either.

It's weird to me how much the narrative keeps changing. I get what you're saying (kinda ) but ... now we become vocal to Cal about recruiting ?
"I know we have 86 five stars on this last recruiting haul... but we really need the top player /s in the class in future recruitment "

Exactly.

A few years back coach K was going nuts over lack of support. The cameras didnt show it, but Duke had empty seats all over the corners of Cameron. I believe he went off on the students in the student newspaper.

I have a bandwagon duke friend here in tennessee, he made his first and last trip to Cameron and the pictures were hilarious. Empty seats all over the student sections.

Man. Being a Duke fan is bad enough but a BANDWAGON Duke fan??? [sick]

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Hey Silver Spoons aka TheDude1 keyboard warrior. Saying I'm a pussy over on your board. Do you wanna swap info? I'll show you who the pussy is. Straight up. You wanna take it to a personal level, I'm more than game. Let's see what you're really about. No shit. Any time, bub. Any time. [smoke]

Exactly.

****ing pathetic. Yet, Duke fans claim their following is as big as ours. GTFO.

Reactions: morgousky
I don't see how adding Bagley to UK's roster would make it over crowded. We have a ton of talent on our roster this coming season, but those talented players are mostly 3s and 4s on the court. With Bagley's size and skillset, the dude could play the 4 or 5 for Kentucky and never have to worry about the minutes he sees on the basketball court. The dude is way too talented of a player to worry about who is on the roster at the spot on the floor he is going to play at. With Knox, Diallo, Washington Jr and Vanderbilt, that is the type of talent Bagley should want to join and play with. When you have guys like that on the floor, it can make the game come a lot easier for a talented big like Bagley. Don't get me wrong. With a guy like Bagley, the players on Kentucky's roster will also find the game a lot easier with a talent like Bagley on the same court as them. A few months ago it looked like Cal and Kentucky were on Bagley's mind. What could have happened lately that changed that? Nothing i can think of. It doesn't make sense, but as great at recruiting as Cal is, you just can't get them all. I like our roster with Bagley or without, just a lil more with.

Carolina has the biggest fan base in the state, but duke is a close 2nd, the younger generation are duke fans, Carolina and duke are the biggest. Brands in college basketball.

Carolina has the biggest fan base in the state, but duke is a close 2nd, the younger generation are duke fans, Carolina and duke are the biggest. Brands in college basketball.

Thank you for your valuable insight, but I'm not sure, you understand commas or periods, African American Studies classes. might explain that though.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
When UNC and Duke have people camping out to get free tickets to a practice get back to us. Biggest brands in college hoops[eyeroll]

Kinda puts into perspective as to how big UK's following is compared to Duke or any other team from NC. Kentucky is college basketball. Duke's a buncha wannabes.

Based on my experiences in the northeast, Kentucky has a 1/10th of the fanbase as Duke. I don't know what it's like in the South, West, MW, etc.. But Duke and UNC fans run rampant up here.. to the point that I always viewed them as America's teams.

.. which isn't a good thing.. they are in the same grouping as the Cowboys and Yankees.. teams with a lot of success 20 years ago and everyone bandwagoned them. Here we are in present time, and those same dumbasses still don't know much about their teams, but have a bajillion articles of clothing. Fairweather fans.

The chances of you being a Duke fan and having a real connection to the program is slim to none.

I've been a Duke fan since 1977, went to High School, College, and grad school in North Carolina, including one degree from Duke. Does that meet your criteria?

The reactions to my post are interesting. I didn't say anything about Duke being great or anything bad about UNC, State, or UK. I was just noting that when I was in in high school and college, Duke's fanbase was largely from outside NC, but that over the past 40 years, it has become the second most popular program in the state. Seems like a pretty dispassionate analysis.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT