ADVERTISEMENT

Marvin Bagley III, the country's No. 1 basketball recruit, could skip senior year to play for Duke o

I'm unsure what you mean; Bagley would be no different than every other one and done.

Again, I apologize if I am not getting your point.
Most players enroll for the fall in August at the latest. I've never heard of someone coming in mid-October. We might be talking past each other.

USC becomes a legit FF contender with Bagley. Wouldn't be a bad team for him to join. Just don't see him as a Duke kind of player.
USC is a legit final four contender and top 5-10 team even without Bagley, he'll have to share the ball at USC as much or if not more than if he was at Duke. Whatever team he goes to if it's indeed USC, Duke or UK becomes the best team in the country.

Most players enroll for the fall in August at the latest. I've never heard of someone coming in mid-October. We might be talking past each other.

I got you; are they saying he cannot enroll till that date. That is definitely very late.

Thanks.

I got you; are they saying he cannot enroll till that date. That is definitely very late.

Thanks.
No. All I am saying is he can be in the 2018 draft regardless of whether he plays in college. I'm suggesting that he probably wouldn't be heartbroken if he missed the college enrollment deadline by a few weeks.

No. All I am saying is he can be in the 2018 draft regardless of whether he plays in college. I'm suggesting that he probably wouldn't be heartbroken if he missed the college enrollment deadline by a few weeks.

That is interesting; could happen

What is my reasoning for the importance of having an upperclassmen contribution? Simple: no team has ever won the national title without it. ITS NEVER HAPPENED. Yet you keep acting like I'm the ignorant one. It's amazing really. Like I have some incredibly crazy theory.

You're sitting here trying to tell me how stupid I am for wanting an upperclassmen contribution. You literally have zero argument. All you've come up with is, "we almost won it in 2014". And you're exactly right. We ALMOST won it

There's never been a female coach a men's team to the National Championship. It's NEVER been done before.

Does this mean it's impossible?

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Maybe we could get Billy G back and be in on all those top level recruits he was landing.

Guess you just glossed over the part where I said that "I know I'm spoiled for complaining about something when we always end up with the #1 or 2 class".

Knock gonna knock Meyer here, but it was only a matter of time when other people on there starting going with Duke. Tends to always change his pick within a day or two if the tide seems to be moving in that direction.

Because recruiting in any sport is fluid. If you don't change a pick based on the most recent info you're an idiot.

I don't think Cal has made many changes to his style of recruiting, but for some reason in the last 3 classes, we've only got 1 Top 5 player in the Rivals rankings, and that was Skal. Duke has had 5. I wonder what is the reason for that.

Yeah, that was the point of my prior comment. I wish we could land a few more top 5 players than we had the last few seasons. Seems like Duke has gotten their Top 5 targets regardless, where we seem to end up going after guys who would rather go off and be the big fish in a small pond for a season.

Reactions: madison1329
I don't think Cal has made many changes to his style of recruiting, but for some reason in the last 3 classes, we've only got 1 Top 5 player in the Rivals rankings, and that was Skal. Duke has had 5. I wonder what is the reason for that.
Good point and it is a frustrating one. If we got one of those players you are talking about I think we have #9 by now. Always seems like we are 1 piece away.

Reactions: Fawrules
So that team that every starter was a freshmen lost because of free throws correct? Could nerves have played a part in a team full of freshmen missing so many free throws? Does having a veteran player that's been through the grind help with that?

You're basically making my point for me. "Yeah we had a team full of freshmen almost win it (emphasis on "almost") had it not been for a bunch of missed free throws". Well hell yeah they missed a bunch of free throws. They're all freshmen. Good grief.
2014 Sweet 16 UK vs UL SENIOR RUSS SMITH (who's been through the grind as you say)
4-10 free throws. UK won by 5 with 5 Freshmen starting. And you were saying??? You need to learn basketball before commenting ever again on this board.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
2014 Sweet 16 UK vs UL SENIOR RUSS SMITH (who's been through the grind as you say)
4-10 free throws. UK won by 5 with 5 Freshmen starting. And you were saying??? You need to learn basketball before commenting ever again on this board.

It has been going on for years. When freshmen make mistakes, don't make shots, freethrows, etc. it's because they are freshmen. When upperclassmen do it, it's because guys are eventually going to have bad games. It's almost as if some posters haven't been paying attention for the last 8 years. Most years, it has been our upperclassmen as they say who shrunk in the big moments, not the freshmen. I mean Mulder and Willis were a combined 0-7 from behind the arc against UNC. Had they been freshmen, their youth would have been the reason. Since they were seniors, it just happens.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how old you are, just whether you make plays or not.

With limited exceptions, guys who go to Duke are not the kind of guys I want on our team.

So I want Bagley based on ability. But if he goes to Duke, there's a 95% chance he's where he's supposed to be.

And I will hate him like I hate almost every other Dukie. They make it easy.

Whatever else happens, I will hate Duke next year. If they add another All American, I'll just hate them that much more.

And I will celebrate National Duke lost in the NCAA tournament Day, same as always. It's better than Christmas.

With limited exceptions, guys who go to Duke are not the kind of guys I want on our team.

So I want Bagley based on ability. But if he goes to Duke, there's a 95% chance he's where he's supposed to be.

And I will hate him like I hate almost every other Dukie. They make it easy.

Whatever else happens, I will hate Duke next year. If they add another All American, I'll just hate them that much more.

And I will celebrate National Duke lost in the NCAA tournament Day, same as always. It's better than Christmas.
:D

Reactions: Aike and Willy4UK
You do realize that Duke and UK recruit a lot of the same players right?

You're basically saying that you don't trust Cal's judgment of what players would be good fits for the program by admitting you hate nearly all Duke players since Cal wanted a number of them when they were HS seniors and vice versa.

There are number of UK players I like such as KAT, AD, MKG, Ulis and Fox despite them being Cats.

You're basically saying that you don't trust Cal's judgment of what players would be good fits for the program by admitting you hate nearly all Duke players since Cal wanted a number of them when they were HS seniors and vice versa.

There are number of UK players I like such as KAT, AD, MKG, Ulis and Fox despite them being Cats.

That is because those are uk dudes. They wanted to go to a school where they would be pushed the right way. They didn't want to learn how to play like a pussy.

They start out recruiting a lot of the same players. Once they identify themselves as dukies, Cal is out.

It could be a wink, a floor slap, or a playful tug of Cal's pinky. But the minute he knows they are Dukie's, all contact ceases.

Once in a blue moon, he gets fooled until the very end. Nobody is perfect. But lucky for us, the dukies go to Duke. Couldn't imagine it any other way. I would hate to hate my own team.

Occasionally you do get an ok guy. Brandon Ingram was ok. But he was a Tar Heel who felt he had no choice. Even Tar Heels aren't as bad as dukies.

There's not a single Dookie I like. They're all dbags. Anyone who would want to play for those Ivy League reject geeks can get pumped as far as I'm concerned.

That goes for bandwagon fans like you, too.

They start out recruiting a lot of the same players. Once they identify themselves as dukies, Cal is out.

It could be a wink, a floor slap, or a playful tug of Cal's pinky. But the minute he knows they are Dukie's, all contact ceases.

Once in a blue moon, he gets fooled until the very end. Nobody is perfect. But lucky for us, the dukies go to Duke. Couldn't imagine it any other way. I would hate to hate my own team.

Occasionally you do get an ok guy. Brandon Ingram was ok. But he was a Tar Heel who felt he had no choice. Even Tar Heels aren't as bad as dukies.

Yep. He was talking about Wendell Carter last year as the kid he wasn't even recruiting who listed UK on his final list.

Kennard, Okafor, Parker, Jackson, Allen-> all bags.

Agreed. He's not very good at defending his "argument" he's so adamant about

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

Actually Brandon Ingram grew up a Duke fan, he just lived in Kinston which is UNC country, so he couldn't tell anyone. But no, he did not grow up a UNC fan.

The amusing thing about Bagley is for months over on the Duke board all you heard was how Bagley had sketchy academics and too much baggage and the presumption was Duke had no shot at him.

Of course now he's suddenly pure as the driven snow and a true scholar. [laughing]

Actually, I have never read where Duke fans with actual knowledge said anything close to that about Bagley. All I read was that he was likely to stay out west.

The amusing thing about Bagley is for months over on the Duke board all you heard was how Bagley had sketchy academics and too much baggage and the presumption was Duke had no shot at him.

Of course now he's suddenly pure as the driven snow and a true scholar. [laughing]

Shocking how their recruiting has changed since Capel- who was fired from his previous job for recruiting improprieties from his top assistant- arrived.

I was telling my son this very same thing right before I saw this post. If you are going to win with one and dones you better always have an AD, Kat, cousins or Wall type player or preferably, players on the squad. I love the depth of our recruiting class but I think we are missing that type of player to anchor it. I thought along with many others that Bamba would have been that anchor. Who knows, we might still be able to land Bagley for this year.

I don't think Bamba is that player, but I have only watched him play a few times.

Bagley reclassifying means he does not come to UK, IMO. I think the positions in the paint are already deep. I would guess he goes to USC, but Duke may be the spot. Without him, I feel Duke is going to be down this year and take its lumps.

ADVERTISEMENT