ADVERTISEMENT

Marvin Bagley III, the country's No. 1 basketball recruit, could skip senior year to play for Duke o

HICATFAN

All-SEC
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Kailua, Hawaii
You guys think we have ANY chance with Marvin?

Marvin Bagley III, the country's No. 1 basketball recruit, could skip senior year to play for Duke or USC, per report

The best high school basketball player in the country could be in college sooner than we thought.

Brian Fluharty-USA TODAY Sports

Marvin Bagley III, the No. 1 basketball recruit in the country in the class of 2018, could jump up a grade level in school to play college ball next season, according to Jerry Meyer of 247 Sports. If Bagley decides to reclassify, Meyer writes that his recruitment “has the feel of a Duke and USC showdown.”

Bagley is a brilliant talent. The 6’11 forward is an explosive athlete and skilled scorer who is comfortable with the ball in his hands on the perimeter. He’s the type of player that would be in contention for the No. 1 player in any class. He would be a game-changer for both Duke and USC and make either a trendy Final Four pick with his commitment.

There was chatter that Bagley could reclassify up to the class of 2017 a year ago, but he’s stayed in the 2018 class up to this point. He’s been the most dominant high school player in the country on Nike’s EYBL circuit, where he finished second in the league in scoring at 25.8 points per game. Bagley also led the circuit in rebounding (14.9 per game) and finished third in blocks (3.1 per game).

Reclassifying is common for high school players. Andrew Wiggins, Andre Drummond and Noah Vonleh are just a few players who have done it. All three were top-10 picks in the NBA draft.

Bagley’s decision isn’t just huge news for college basketball. It would also make waves in the NBA. Bagley would be in contention for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2018 NBA Draft if he decides to reclassify. Real Madrid guard Luka Doncic and Missouri-bound forward Michael Porter Jr. were the top two players in SB Nation’s initial NBA mock draft for 2018.

Both Duke and USC already have loaded rosters lined up for next year. The Blue Devils are welcoming two consensus top-10 recruits in big man Wendell Carter and point guard Trevon Duval to a group that also brings back senior shooting guard Grayson Allen. Bagley would slide in at power forward and could push Duke to No. 1 in the preseason polls.

USC is also going to be a powerhouse after falling in the round of 32 last year. The Trojans have a strong group of returning players, led by big man Chimezie Metu, forward Bennie Boatright and guard De’Anthony Melton. USC also brings back guards Jordan McLaughlin and Elijah Stewart while adding Duke transfer Derryck Thornton.

Bagley is the type of talent that would elevate any team. Since I’ve started covering college basketball recruiting in 2013, Bagley is the best individual talent I have seen at the high school level. If he decides to reclassify, it will immediately alter the national title picture for next season.

AlohaCat

I'll wait and see what happens, but if we want titles with our system, players like this are nessesary. We've got to start getting legitimate top 5 guys on ghese rosters. Having the best recruiting class is great, but if its all 7-35 range it probably wont be enough if we are committed to being so young.

I'll wait and see what happens, but if we want titles with our system, players like this are nessesary. We've got to start getting legitimate top 5 guys on ghese rosters. Having the best recruiting class is great, but if its all 7-35 range it probably wont be enough if we are committed to being so young.
Need to get the top guy/guys every year. Doesn't help to have lower top end guys come here bc most leave after 1 year anyways

Was a rumor not long ago that Bamba was told this was a possibility that Bagley could reclassify but its not to go to duke or USC. He has already visited UK. Duke just got done destroying Giles and Boldens draft stock why do people just keep assuming this is a duke deal. A few people threw this out there with a UK slant months ago and now just cause he is visiting Duke its their deal? Lol do we really still doubt Cal? The guy with his 30 on 30 and his handling of Diallo has cemented himself as the coach to play for in this situation. K doesn't even have a history with this kind of big man. Cal does though

Was a rumor not long ago that Bamba was told this was a possibility that Bagley could reclassify but its not to go to duke or USC. He has already visited UK. Duke just got done destroying Giles and Boldens draft stock why do people just keep assuming this is a duke deal. A few people threw this out there with a UK slant months ago and now just cause he is visiting Duke its their deal? Lol do we really still doubt Cal? The guy with his 30 on 30 and his handling of Diallo has cemented himself as the coach to play for in this situation. K doesn't even have a history with this kind of big man. Cal does though
But but but Cal didn't even invite him to the team USA tryouts. So there's definitely bad blood, and oh noes he's going to Duke. That's how it works these days, right?

But but but Cal didn't even invite him to the team USA tryouts. So there's definitely bad blood, and oh noes he's going to Duke. That's how it works these days, right?

I get your point gossie....the word I heard was that the kid was pretty much exhausted from his travels...he had just returned from Greece (I think) and had to pass on the USA tryout because he was tired.....that's my recollection...

AlohaCat

Is it just me, or does it usually seem like the recruiting gurus generally seem to predict recruits going to Duke late in their recruitments and seem to diminish the likelihood they will choose UK? I'm not saying that Bagley might not end up going to Duke, but it seems like this happens late in the recruiting process pretty frequently now.

I was telling my son this very same thing right before I saw this post. If you are going to win with one and dones you better always have an AD, Kat, cousins or Wall type player or preferably, players on the squad. I love the depth of our recruiting class but I think we are missing that type of player to anchor it. I thought along with many others that Bamba would have been that anchor. Who knows, we might still be able to land Bagley for this year.

No remember he denied it in that interview lol I think Jakari a duke guy posted that over and over buy now that duke is in the mix for a reclassify its definitely a possibility. This guy is eligible for the 18 draft I think all teams involved are aware that a re class is the only way he plays college ball. I love how its mentioned how loaded usc and duke would be with him but UK is over crowded. Lol. We have been in on this kid for a couple of years. And he has already visited. We are right in the mix

No remember he denied it in that interview lol I think Jakari a duke guy posted that over and over buy now that duke is in the mix for a reclassify its definitely a possibility. This guy is eligible for the 18 draft I think all teams involved are aware that a re class is the only way he plays college ball. I love how its mentioned how loaded usc and duke would be with him but UK is over crowded. Lol. We have been in on this kid for a couple of years. And he has already visited. We are right in the mix

Seems like many people act like we have no chance. Someone should tell that to Cal tho since he was watching him yesterday.

It doesn't make sense for Bagley to consider UK if he reclassifies considering the current roster. I am surprised that he isn't looking at UNC considering that they have a hole in the center for him.

So what will recruiting classes of 7-35 range get you if not titles? Honest question. I've been thinking that given the current climate at UK, Cal needs to have 1-2 quality upperclassmen to go along with his star freshmen in order to win titles. You make a good point of needing a superstar AD/Towns type of player. So in your opinion, if Cal doesn't bet that top 5 player during this one and done era, can he win more titles?

I thought I read somewhere that Bagley had eligibility questions. Maybe I'm thinking of somebody else but, if so, this would be two players this year that had grade issues and enrolled at Duke, supposedly a very strict academic school.

I'll put this out there now:
IF Bagley reclassifies, and
IF he ends up at UK, then
there's no way Cal gets everyone the minutes they need w/out some version of the platoon.
That doesn't mean both platoons get equal minutes, 'cause Bagley's getting 28-30, minimum, but it'll have to be some type of platoon system in place with that roster.

If he reclassifies I'd expect USC to be the choice, just seems like he'd stay close to home.

Not sure how "in the mix" with him we actually are now. But I do agree with you that the "UK is over-crowded, but Duke and USC would be loaded with him" logic doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Reactions: wromanp7
It doesn't make sense for Bagley to consider UK if he reclassifies considering the current roster. I am surprised that he isn't looking at UNC considering that they have a hole in the center for him.

It also didn't make sense for Knox to go to KY where they already had 2 or 3 other 5 star guys who could play the same position for him. However, he was not afraid of competition and wanted to play for a better team with KY. Bagley plays just as many minutes at UK next year as he would at any other school.

If he reclassified it is solely to get to the NBA faster. I do think he just goes to USC. No pressure, less "eyes" and can concentrate on playing it safe. He is going to be the #1 pick almost for sure if he reclassified, he is even more of a lock for the top freshmen in this incoming class. The draft next year is going to be very very weak!!!

Reactions: bucsrule8872
So what will recruiting classes of 7-35 range get you if not titles? Honest question. I've been thinking that given the current climate at UK, Cal needs to have 1-2 quality upperclassmen to go along with his star freshmen in order to win titles. You make a good point of needing a superstar AD/Towns type of player. So in your opinion, if Cal doesn't bet that top 5 player during this one and done era, can he win more titles?

Yes, we can*** get more titles. Will we ? Who knows? We have 8 in over 100 years of basketball. Cal puts us in a position nearly every year to win a title , not to mention one of the most successful Runs in UK history the last 10 years.

I like our "system" and I like being favorably in the discussion to win it / make the FF (from there it's anyone's game ) nearly every year . Dozens and dozens of "upper classmen " teams miss out on winning a title every year.

Reactions: ClockCalamity
Alpha dogs with talent like him don't worry about other players.

If he isn't worried about the other players, why isn't he scheduling an OV? I don't think there is any other reason for him to not consider UK.

For Knox, as a player who wants no part of playing stretch 4, UK was the most logical choice. He'll be playing the 3 and 2 out of necessity.

Bagley is a pure 4/5.

If he reclassified it is solely to get to the NBA faster. I do think he just goes to USC. No pressure, less "eyes" and can concentrate on playing it safe. He is going to be the #1 pick almost for sure if he reclassified, he is even more of a lock for the top freshmen in this incoming class. The draft next year is going to be very very weak!!!
Maybe I am misreading what you said. But if Bagley reclassifies next year's draft is going to be absolutely stacked. Bagley, Ayton, Bamba, Porter, and Doncic would be the best top-5 in quite a while.

But maybe you meant the 2019 draft will be weaker.

Has a very Andre Drummond feel. Elite player, all the big boys are involved, then he reclassifies and stays local.

Granted, Drummond was a UCONN lean anyway.

But also cut the bullshit on there not being room. If Marques Bolden doesn't count at the five for Duke then Nick Richards doesn't count for us. Bagley would play over anyone in the country and knows that.

There's no competition for minutes. He gets his 32-35 a night, it's the other guys who sit. If that means SKJ doesn't play again this year, so be it.

Quade
Diallo
Knox
Washington
Bagley

Then Vanderbilt subs 1-4, Gabriel subs 3-5, Richards subs 4-5, and SGA subs 1-3, depending on need/foul trouble/opponent.

I thought I read somewhere that Bagley had eligibility questions. Maybe I'm thinking of somebody else but, if so, this would be two players this year that had grade issues and enrolled at Duke, supposedly a very strict academic school.
I think when he was a sophomore he enrolled in a prep school around Phoenix (I believe Ayton was there too). The NCAA basically said they would not accept credits from the school. So he transferred out a month later and has made up the coursework. He should be fine.

I was telling my son this very same thing right before I saw this post. If you are going to win with one and dones you better always have an AD, Kat, cousins or Wall type player or preferably, players on the squad. I love the depth of our recruiting class but I think we are missing that type of player to anchor it. I thought along with many others that Bamba would have been that anchor. Who knows, we might still be able to land Bagley for this year.

Yea I've believed it was an issue for a while that never seemed to get muxh traction around here. Never understood why it's a hard sell. Top classes are not created equally. If you sign 7 top 25 guys, it's gonna be the top class. But I'd rather have the number two class with 2 top 5 and 3 top 15, followed by some 4's that fit.

Cals championship had 2 transcendent type players, two returning OAD's, and a return senior who logged big minutes. You have to believe it's all a big coincidence to have the opinion it's not necessary.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
USC sounds like the logical choice. That is where he will get the most touches. Good team around him, but he will be the focal point more so than he could be for UK or Duke.

At Duke, he has to share the ball with Allen, Duval, Carter, and Trent. Those guys are all four volume scorers. Not enough touches to go around.

At UK, he would also have to share the ball. Diallo and Knox are wing scorers that will need their shots.

I would consider UK over Duke. Duke's guys are known as scorers. UK has two guys known for scoring and several guys known for sharing the ball. Green, Vanderbilt, and Washington are considered great passers and unselfish players.

I could see chemistry issues, just like this past season. Bunch of egos. Bunch of guys wanting to be the man. Carter demanding the ball, Allen wanting his shots. K would have his work cut out for him again.

In the end he probably stays out West and plays at USC. Like I said, he gets to be the man without question. 20+ touches a game. Nobody else even close to that level of talent. He knows they have the complimentary players to help him to get to the Final Four with his leadership.

Yea I've believed it was an issue for a while that never seemed to get muxh traction around here. Never understood why it's a hard sell. Top classes are not created equally. If you sign 7 top 25 guys, it's gonna be the top class. But I'd rather have the number two class with 2 top 5 and 3 top 15, followed by some 4's that fit.

Cals championship had 2 transcendent type players, two returning OAD's, and a return senior who logged big minutes. You have to believe it's all a big coincidence to have the opinion it's not necessary.

I know this is a horse you really like to ride, and I guess I'll just have to say, "No joke." Get 2 top 5 guys and you've got a great shot at competing for the title.

And I agree with you, insofar as I would also like to get 2 top 5 guys each year, if not 4 or 5.

But I don't think you have to. We were in a very winnable Final Four in 2011 with Brandon Knight as our top talent. Borderline top 5. Maybe he and TJ were both top 10ish.

In 2014, Randle was the only real beast, and we made the final game.

Last year, we were a shot away from the Final Four. Probably 2011 level talent, but no Marvin Bagley's or Anthony Davis's.

So maybe this is the normal optimist/pessimist debate we have, but I think it's a logical fallacy to imply that something can't be done because it hasn't quite been done. Especially when we've come close so often, and the margins are so thin.

But again, I'm with you on liking our odds a lot better if we pull in 2 top 5 guys. I hope we do it every year.

And for the record, I would love to have Bagley this year, because I don't see any elite talent in our incoming class.

And maybe our difference in opinion is that subtle. Give me one top 5 guy and a bunch of solid, complementary pieces, and I'll take my chances.

ADVERTISEMENT