ADVERTISEMENT

Marrow extended through 2020

Unless I've missed something, Marrow still hasn't inked the deal. Not sure what the delay is?

Sounds like he will be bumped up to $500k. That is $500k very well spent and a great investment by the administration into UK football. That would move Marrow into the top 100 highest paid assistant coaches in the country with the vast majority of those higher than him being offensive and defensive coordinators. The only list i could find of highest paid TE coaches was from 2015 and Bama's TE coach made $440k and was the highest so there is a pretty good chance Marrow is now the highest paid TE coach in the country.

Fortunately, all sources indicate we'll see that soon. Can't wait to have Marrow locked up for a few more years.
Nobody is ever "locked up". If someone wants to leave, they will do so. You're not going to not allow someone to leave that wants to go. What incentive would they have to work where they don't want to be? Would you want somebody out selling your school that has expressed an interest to leave?

Don't get me wrong...we all want Marrow to stay as long as he wants...as long as he keeps bringing in the talent. But it's just wrong to think that when he signs an extension that it will somehow prevent him from going if he chose to do so.

From what we have seen out of Marrow, I'd gladly donate $100 to his salary in the hopes of making him the highest paid assistant in college football. Ha ha!

I'll even make it a flat out $500 donation if he brings in #160 Overall Player (247) WR L'Christian "Blue" Smith, #166 Overall Player (247) OLB Xavier Peters, and #236 Overall Player (247) OC Tyrone Sampson Jr as commitments for our 2018 recruiting class!

Nobody is ever "locked up". If someone wants to leave, they will do so. You're not going to not allow someone to leave that wants to go. What incentive would they have to work where they don't want to be? Would you want somebody out selling your school that has expressed an interest to leave?

Don't get me wrong...we all want Marrow to stay as long as he wants...as long as he keeps bringing in the talent. But it's just wrong to think that when he signs an extension that it will somehow prevent him from going if he chose to do so.

Looking for something to gripe about are we? When I said locked up, I was referring to extending his contract, not forcing him to stay at UK for a few years. Maybe I should have said extended? I honestly didn't expect anyone to misinterpret what I meant.

Of course he is free to pursue other job opportunities, it's common practice in coaching.

Last edited:
Looking for something to gripe about are we? When I said locked up, I was referring to extending his contract, not forcing him to stay at UK for a few years. Maybe I should said extended? I honestly did't expect anyone to misinterpret what I meant.

Of course he is free to pursue other job opportunities, it's common practice in coaching.

Exactly, you make it as hard as possible for them to lure them away. The 500k+ would be hard to justify without some type of coordinator tag thrown it with it, which would be the least to even make him think about looking elsewhere. I am assuming he has the recruiting coordinator title at UK as well as TE coach. If he is looking to advance a coordinator position would give him something to think about, but at this point in his career I don't believe he is looking for that.

Reactions: ReloadUK98
I truly believe Marrow is here as long as Stoops is. They are tight like peas and carrots.
i

I agree with this. The paranoid poster above states the obvious when he/she says that there's no locked up jobs, technically.
But also, the obvious is that Marrow likes his half million dollar gig here. It will take a lot to pry him from Stoops' grip without careful consideration. Marrow is living the dream and selling his wares as he is in the perfect storm. That's a policy that works here for big money. He already turned down Michigan. I'm a believer that Marrow is in this for the long haul.

Reactions: On-On-UK
The $500K/year will obviously help insulate him from poachers, but it's also relevant to realize that those programs that could actually afford to pay that much or more for an assistant, are already recruiting top 10 classes every year anyway, so there isn't that much "demand".

The $500K/year will obviously help insulate him from poachers, but it's also relevant to realize that those programs that could actually afford to pay that much or more for an assistant, are already recruiting top 10 classes every year anyway, so there isn't that much "demand".

I'd be curious to know how Marrow views his coaching future. That is, does he aspire to be an OC or HC? One would assume so but you never know. Maybe he's content in his current situation. Still, if someone comes along with an OC job at $750K he'd be crazy not to listen.

I'd be curious to know how Marrow views his coaching future. That is, does he aspire to be an OC or HC? One would assume so but you never know. Maybe he's content in his current situation. Still, if someone comes along with an OC job at $750K he'd be crazy not to listen.

mrschwump you are a few years behind times, top schools are paying coordinators 1m+ per year now.

Reactions: mrschwump
Not everyone but a select committed handful that are willing and most of all, able, pay that kind of money.

Marrow will be at UK as long as Stoops is here, like someone posted earlier.

th

He has it made! Are you kidding me!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT